Help me find my perfect sequencer!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: Help me find my perfect sequencer!

Post by LDT »

natehorn wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:17 am
LDT wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:33 am
natehorn wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:58 am 4 notes is admitedly a bit of a limitation though - plenty good enough for eurorack polyphony of course but if breaking into the midi world I like big thick 8 note chords.
Footnote: Actually the boundaries between eurorack and traditional polyphonic midi synths is already a bit blurred. I have two complete midi polysynths inside my eurorack, in other words two Disting EX’s running PolyWavetable algo. As they both have 6 freely configurable CV inputs, the modular integration is really good.
That's cool! I also have a Poly Cinematic - further bluring the lines as I use that via MIDI and it's not really all that modular lol
Yup, another example! (Btw, I failed to mention that my Disting ES’s are run with midi. I use all CV inputs for modulation.)
And one more: Running Synthbox in a Bitbox: Also a poly midi synth in eurorack.
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic »

natehorn wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:15 am
brandonlogic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:52 am I think a the solution for a lot of people is simply make/record your sequences in they keys you want into different patterns.
Then when you switch your patterns the key changes as desired.
Good point it is more of a workflow thing - I'm a noodler at heart and so being able to move around more organically suits me, rather than having to plan that stuff in advance in a fairly prescribed way.
Cool, makes sense, and I think there’s enough features with using quantization tables and offset effects to achieve exactly what your looking for, copying and pasting a pattern to a new pattern then applying them.
But yeah like you said before question is if the nerdseq interface will work out for you and you’ll be inspired using it or not.

If only it was easier to try these things out before buying them! I would have saved a ton of time and money!
Last edited by brandonlogic on Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

brandonlogic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am
brandonlogic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:52 am I think a the solution for a lot of people is simply make/record your sequences in they keys you want into different patterns.
Good point it is more of a workflow thing - I'm a noodler at heart and so being able to move around more organically suits me, rather than having to plan that stuff in advance in a fairly prescribed way.
Cool, makes sense, and I think there’s enough features with using quantization tables and offset effects to achieve exactly what your looking for, copying and pasting a pattern to a new pattern the applying them.
But yeah like you said before question is if the nerdseq interface will work out for you and you’ll be inspired using it or not.

If only it was easier to try these things out before buying them! I would have saved a ton of time and money!
It's very tempting either way I'm very into obtuse, archaic interfaces ;)
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

natehorn wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:41 am
brandonlogic wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:38 am
Cool, makes sense, and I think there’s enough features with using quantization tables and offset effects to achieve exactly what your looking for, copying and pasting a pattern to a new pattern the applying them.

It's very tempting either way I'm very into obtuse, archaic interfaces ;)
westlicht has some CV ins which can be routed to transpose among other things. just use an offset if you want realtime control - run it though a quantizer for even more direct control. (but modulating play position, tempo and octave with another odd-numbered sequence is where the fun really starts. then modulate the modulating sequence with another track for some generative bliss. you have 8 tracks, so why not..)
williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by williamjturkel »

Not exactly what you are looking for, but the SDS Digital Melisma Accord might be worth looking at.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

Definately an interesting module - there are certainly alternative routes to be taken. Happened to notice this new quad quantiser which looks quite powerful! https://www.signalsounds.com/shakmat-mo ... zer-module
bmot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bmot »

Have you considered the OxiOne? It has justbeen released, the first ones are being sent to preorder customers right now so i've heard. It isn't a module but it DOES now have a companion Eurorack module for connecting the 8 CV/8 gate connections. This is connected to the sequencer via a mini HDMI cable.

I've preordered both the OxiOne and the connection module, will hopefully use it to replace my old Social Entropy Engine (which is great at many things, but lacking a bit in modulation options). From what i've seen and heard the OxiOne looks to be the best sequencer for the price, and good for both midi and cv/gate users

https://oxiinstruments.com/
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic »

on that not, probably worth looking at the korg SQ-64 too.. looks quite nice and affordable.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

bmot wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm Have you considered the OxiOne? It has justbeen released, the first ones are being sent to preorder customers right now so i've heard. It isn't a module but it DOES now have a companion Eurorack module for connecting the 8 CV/8 gate connections. This is connected to the sequencer via a mini HDMI cable.

I've preordered both the OxiOne and the connection module, will hopefully use it to replace my old Social Entropy Engine (which is great at many things, but lacking a bit in modulation options). From what i've seen and heard the OxiOne looks to be the best sequencer for the price, and good for both midi and cv/gate users

https://oxiinstruments.com/
The Oxi was on my list! :) Also interested in preordering along with the Pipe, it's not quite perfect but I've seen a couple of demos of the harmonising and it looks quite immediate and creative to work with. There are things I don't love about it too but it's extremely tempting.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

Another option that hasn't been discussed yet - that I've toyed with a couple of times now, is the Toraiz Squid - a pretty underated piece of kit from what I can tell based on what it can do and the positivity from people that have used it. It has some CV capability too!
jamos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamos »

I'm putting together an algorithmic sequencer based on a Teletype and Sweet 16, and either an Ansible or TelexO depending on which I can find. The new scale functions in Teletype, along with rhythmic and chaotic algorithms, should make this a powerhouse. The 16 CV ins on the Sweet 16 can be used as inputs to Teletype, allowing the algorithmic processes to be voltage-controlled. I still don't have all the components but I am drooling at the possibilities.
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, MPC Live, and a growing Euro system.
Aleksey
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleksey »

If you can get over the 4 note limitation of Vector, it's a very impressive sequencer with great interface, especially with a launchpad. Can be very immediate for using sequencer as an instrument on its own, or you can program very complex, generative (or not), polyrhythmic sequences that you can build scenes and parts on top. With its nice midi capabilities, I'd still keep it if I say sayonara to eurorack one day.
DigitalCrickets
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalCrickets »

I would second the suggestion of the Keystep Pro, if an "Out of the Rack" solution is to be considered at all.
And, grab a black one while they last!

Aside from that, I also enjoy using the Erica Synths Black Sequencer, but alas - it is not polyphonic.
May the electrons always flow in your favor, and may the voltages remain under your control!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1742730
https://digitalcrickets.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/digitalcrickets
Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something »

The NDLR was my first dedicated hardware sequencer and I loved it. And felt restricted by it for the same reasons you mentioned.

I’ve had many sequencers since and I’m certain the Five12 Vector is your dream sequencer. It’s kinda a NDLR on steroids. Watch Loopop’s video and fall in love.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

Electro Something wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:10 pm The NDLR was my first dedicated hardware sequencer and I loved it. And felt restricted by it for the same reasons you mentioned.

I’ve had many sequencers since and I’m certain the Five12 Vector is your dream sequencer. It’s kinda a NDLR on steroids. Watch Loopop’s video and fall in love.
This is really useful thanks! Gotta be honest the only thing holding me back from just pulling the trigger on the Vector is that I'd absolutely want the expander and at that point I feel like I'm being bent over a barrel :lol: As is often the case with modular maybe that's just something I need to come to terms with. If it had more than 4 note polyphony I could maybe justify it but if I'm spending that much I kind of don't want there to be compromises.

I have a mmMidi which if I understand correctly would give me the equivelent of an extra two CV channels (I'm assuming midi channels aren't treated differently?) - but I'd almost definitely want the ability to modulate via the CV ins you gain with the expander.

The Launchpad integration is also very appealing as a way to make it more tactile - of course that only makes it more expensive :lol:
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

The other thing I'm considering is more left-field options that involve multiple modules. Qu-Bit Bloom for example is a really interesting way to create quantised sequences which if combined with something like their Chord could allow for some very melodic, generative sequencing that has a form of polyphony, maybe with a Marbles thrown into that mix - and that new Bard Quartet quantiser. Starts to get expensive again though don't it.

Can't I just have all the modules?
paoling
Common Wiggler

Post by paoling »

I have various ways of sequencing. Besides quantized randomness (like Marbles, LFO+quantizers, and stuff), I have a few different ways to sequence according to the kind of stuff I want to do. I'm not a fan of big sequencers, I have an Hermod that I rarely use and I find the small screen annoying to use.

After Later Audio Baker (peaks clone + CV inputs for the four knobs) + DNIPRO DOT + Scales for 3 nice modules that well pairs together and allow for 2 sequences of 4 steps each. There are a lot of things to do with them, you can use Scales as well as a mini-sequencer, chain them to create longer sequences, and so on. Lots of stuff to explore and the modules are tiny: 6+6+8 hp. Mimetic Digitalis is also fantastic, way better than the voltage block in my opinion, which has also a few bugs.

Then I have 3 favourite ways of sequencing and I like them all and they are all external (or semi external):
1 - Keystep Pro for OP-Z like sequencing: you can record what you play, create songs, it is external so it won't consume HPs, it is also a very beautiful little keyboard that pairs well with your eurorack.
2 - Ansible + Grid: Kria. Monome stuff is quite puzzling but fascinating, I still have to wrap my head around the Norns. But Grid + Ansible it is a a very nice, not wallet friendly, option. you can create up to 4 sequences and chain them in many ways. It is the most "eurorack" style kind of sequencer I have and sequences advance only when they receive a trigger. It is very interactive and fun to use.
3 - Ableton Live + Akai APC Mini + Intellijel MIDI 1U + Expander (the new version).
This system gives me up to 5 sequences that are driven via the clips in ableton live. This is the most comfortable thing ever. You can have a keyboard connected to Ableton Live to record your sequences, edit them anyway you like.

So, depending by the situation, the kind of music I'm trying to do, I will use one or that, or maybe avoid them all together for something more generative, by using Marbles and stuff.
jxn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jxn »

Agreeing with Aleksey and Electro regarding the Vector. It's in its own league. Good luck finding something it won't do for you and enjoy the seventeen other things you discovered while trying. I just ordered black panels for mine cuz it's part of the family now. If it needed me to feed it and change its litter daily I would do it gladly.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

natehorn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 am

I have a mmMidi which if I understand correctly would give me the equivelent of an extra two CV channels (I'm assuming midi channels aren't treated differently?) - but I'd almost definitely want the ability to modulate via the CV ins you gain with the expander.

The Launchpad integration is also very appealing as a way to make it more tactile - of course that only makes it more expensive :lol:
The expander doesn’t have any CV ins for modulation. Some of the trigger jacks can be used for trigger ins though, for stepping through or resetting a part.

A MIDI to CV module is definitely a viable alternative to the expander. I think most people end up getting the expander though, and while it’s not cheap, it’s great to have.

The LP Mini is pretty cheap, and well worth it. The main thing you lose is velocity control when recording.

PS- Vector and expander, in original silver and the new black panels, or on sale right now direct from Five12. https://five12inc.square.site/
robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk »

For me the Vector is the one, it ties the whole studio together. It is fine on it's own, and great with the expander. Where other expanders merely break out ports from the main module, the Vector expander has quite a bunch of chips on it's pcb, which might explain the price. For me it's totally worth the total price.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

Zymos wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 am The expander doesn’t have any CV ins for modulation.
Ah yes thanks for pointing that out I've been looking at so many modules over the past few days it's gone turned into a blur haha. In which case actually the expander doesn't offer me a huge amount of utility so for the time being I could get away with just the sequencer (and mmMidi).... and probably a launchpad because why not.

I'm in the UK so unfortunately can't take advantage of their sale, or at least in a way that makes it worth while.
robotfunk wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:38 am For me the Vector is the one, it ties the whole studio together.
I hear this frequently from its owners, its rare anyone has a bad thing to say about it! Having watched a few more demos I think I might go for it - going to let the dust settle overnight and see how I feel about it all in the morning :)

As an extra I should say that although I'd like to have something that can do more than the NDLR - I do still think it's a great sequencer and allows for an approach and immedicay that still doesn't really exist in anything else. And as much as I'm not a fan of their UI they've put some effort into it which is more than can be said for some - they've done a lot with what they had available in the package and at £300 it's a great deal IMO. I'm not sure how likely it is but a NDLR 2.0, with CV capability and a streamlined, slightly more flexible workflow would be an instant purchase for me.
batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch »

Have you thought about the Droid system? It’s made by the same person as the Sinfonion and has the Sinfonion Quantizer algorithms in it.

Takes some configuration but think it might get you exactly what you want.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 1
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

batch wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:40 pm Have you thought about the Droid system? It’s made by the same person as the Sinfonion and has the Sinfonion Quantizer algorithms in it.

Takes some configuration but think it might get you exactly what you want.
I did see that somewhere else actually as a recommendation for something along these lines - I feel like it would lack the tactile experience I'd want - unless I started adding their dope faders etc. and then my bank is calling to make sure I'm still sane. So I think it's possible, but it would take a bit of work and I'm not sure it's the most efficient way to go about it. Good suggestion though.
sacguy71
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sacguy71 »

Erica Synths Black Sequencer is super awesome and easy to use or Vector.
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben

Travel 7u Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1767271

4u Techno Jam case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1751409

I have more but use these the most on the go.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

sacguy71 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:29 am Erica Synths Black Sequencer is super awesome and easy to use or Vector.
If I didn't want poly then Black Sequencer would be a serious contender! (along with Rene 2)

This morning I ordered a Vector - wish me luck :)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”