Help me find my perfect sequencer!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Help me find my perfect sequencer!

Post by Electro Something »

natehorn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 am This is really useful thanks! Gotta be honest the only thing holding me back from just pulling the trigger on the Vector is that I'd absolutely want the expander and at that point I feel like I'm being bent over a barrel :lol: As is often the case with modular maybe that's just something I need to come to terms with. If it had more than 4 note polyphony I could maybe justify it but if I'm spending that much I kind of don't want there to be compromises.

I have a mmMidi which if I understand correctly would give me the equivelent of an extra two CV channels (I'm assuming midi channels aren't treated differently?) - but I'd almost definitely want the ability to modulate via the CV ins you gain with the expander.

The Launchpad integration is also very appealing as a way to make it more tactile - of course that only makes it more expensive :lol:
You don’t need the expander. The base module gives you two CV tracks, plus a ton more with MIDI. The expander gives you 8 drum tracks (which I never use because I prefer other drum sequencers) and 6 more CV tracks, which is overkill unless this is your one and only sequencer.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Loopop’s Vector video is nice, but so much has changed since then that a new video is desperately needed.
sacguy71
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sacguy71 »

You will love the Vector and I still am learning mine. The color bright display and easy to use interface is superb. I need to master chords and drums on it. Maybe when the Knobula Poly Cinematic is back in stock will be good test for it.
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben

Travel 7u Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1767271

4u Techno Jam case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1751409

I have more but use these the most on the go.
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves »

mdoudoroff wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm Loopop’s Vector video is nice, but so much has changed since then that a new video is desperately needed.
Right...It's fair to call it obsolete.
I think the Deep Dive series are amazing and keep you far more up-to-date. For a long time (slightly ashamedly) I was only using it in a surface way. Yes, I'd RFTM but it was a bit slow going, I didn't quite understand the implications and frankly boring. I've only recently watched/studied the first and am barely a quarter of the way through the next and have understood infinitely more about it in a couple of weeks than the previous year.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

It's a wonderful sequencer I've been enjoying it! Simple and intutive whilst having lots of power and intricacy where you need it. Five12 super responsive and helpful too it's a cool company.
NeoDataMx
Common Wiggler

Post by NeoDataMx »

natehorn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:31 am It's a wonderful sequencer I've been enjoying it! Simple and intutive whilst having lots of power and intricacy where you need it. Five12 super responsive and helpful too it's a cool company.
:yay: I was wondering what your first impression would be. How much would you say is intuitive vs needing to refer to a manual? I'm coming from a background of instruments and so many sequencers just make my brain shut down. I have Erica's which is unbelievable for mono and Bastl popcorn is a fun little one that gets no love. I wish Bastl would make a more elaborate version. Guess I'm trying to ask how much does the sequencer stand in your way vs inspiring you to just create, even in your first interactions with it?
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

There are some quirks with 'config' and 'settings' type stuff, I seem to have to look a lot to find things in those menus that I've found before.

But outside of that I've found everything totally intuitive and haven't really needed the manual outside of a few specifics.

It's fairly immediate to get things going and adjusted, the important menus are all 1 level deep and with the big screens and endless rotary encoders everything feels very much at your fingertips. I understand the launchpad takes this a step further although I haven't tried that yet.

There are a lot of performance features that are easy to use, if you want sequences you can constantly manipulate this is one of the better platforms for it I think.

Oh, I also put in a preorder for an Oxi One...
NeoDataMx
Common Wiggler

Post by NeoDataMx »

natehorn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:26 am There are some quirks with 'config' and 'settings' type stuff, I seem to have to look a lot to find things in those menus that I've found before.

But outside of that I've found everything totally intuitive and haven't really needed the manual outside of a few specifics.

It's fairly immediate to get things going and adjusted, the important menus are all 1 level deep and with the big screens and endless rotary encoders everything feels very much at your fingertips. I understand the launchpad takes this a step further although I haven't tried that yet.

There are a lot of performance features that are easy to use, if you want sequences you can constantly manipulate this is one of the better platforms for it I think.

Oh, I also put in a preorder for an Oxi One...
Thanks for confirming the immediacy of important things being only 1 level deep! I'm also dreaming of a more elaborate Vermona Melodic with regard to ease of manipulation. What made you decide to go for the Oxi One?
Aleksey
Common Wiggler

Post by Aleksey »

On the expander topic yes I agree it makes the initial investment larger but personally I like having drum triggers (which can be configured as a clock divider/multiplier based on the sequencer clock) & 4 more cv/gate/velocity tracks. You don't need to use the extra tracks for complete voices, as they are very configurable, sometimes I sequence modulation & different trigger lanes to introduce events and sections if I'm performing a more structured or longer piece. You'll get it eventually anyways so budgeting for both would be smarter from the start imo. With the new unquantized rec mode, it might even work as a realtime midi to cv, if you wish to introduce hardware sequencers on top of what Vector is offering.

I'm thinking about building a small skiff just for Vector & Exp, so that I can keep using the same project structure & interaction style even when I'm not using my eurorack.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

NeoDataMx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:22 am What made you decide to go for the Oxi One?
There are aspects of its approach, especially with regard to its harmonising feature that appeal to my NDLR brain :)
desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones »

The Vector expander crucially adds the ability to advance your sequences using external triggers. The extra outputs are also nice but I'd love something more to it... Maybe some super-basic LFO options?
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

After assessing things I decided the expander probably isn't neccessary for me, personally - if they ever decide to do an alternative (a bit like how Pam has 2 variations of their expander) then I could see myself being into something a bit simpler - maybe a few extra tracks (cv/gate/vel) in 4 hp or similar . All those MIDI/DIN sockets I imagine go to waste on most peoples systems.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

natehorn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:06 pm After assessing things I decided the expander probably isn't neccessary for me, personally - if they ever decide to do an alternative (a bit like how Pam has 2 variations of their expander) then I could see myself being into something a bit simpler - maybe a few extra tracks (cv/gate/vel) in 4 hp or similar . All those MIDI/DIN sockets I imagine go to waste on most peoples systems.
Yeah, OTOH I would have chosen the Vector over the USTA if the CV outs from the expander had been right on the Vector, which is pretty big already.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

The way look at it is- I use most or all of the expander’s trigger outs as clock sources in every patch. Though admittedly I’m not using 8 different multiples/divisions at once, I’m usually using several.
A 4ms QCD (as an example of of good, configurable, easy to use clock divider/multiplier) is at least 2/3 the price of the expander, for only 4 outputs.

But that’s without considering the extra 4 tracks of cv/gate, which are essential if you want to do anything with chords, or use more than 2 mono tracks, or both.

So for me, the expander is well worth the $ and HP.
natehorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natehorn »

That's what Pam is for! :)
Stu B
Common Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

James_S wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:31 am Have you explored WMD Metron plus Volteras? Like with all Eurorack sequencers it has pros and cons but for me offers the best overall package.
I (and my bank account) know Eurorack is a premium product but the price of those Volteras is obscene.
NeoDataMx
Common Wiggler

Post by NeoDataMx »

Stu B wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:18 pm
James_S wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:31 am Have you explored WMD Metron plus Volteras? Like with all Eurorack sequencers it has pros and cons but for me offers the best overall package.
I (and my bank account) know Eurorack is a premium product but the price of those Volteras is obscene.
It's tough to swallow for sure. Keep an eye out for Prymaxe demo sales because they'll often have WMD utilities and expanders at about 30% discount. Excellent with shipping outside the US in a way that doesn't cause crazy customs duties. ;)

You know, I partly feel like when manufacturers create expanders that make up for features that arguably could have/should have been present in the initial product, prices should be a lot more reasonable. Space is definitely a consideration but I realized I can basically buy an Erica synths black sequencer for the price of 2 volteras and the functionality there is miles apart. So my setup is now a metron with one voltera (vs the 3 that I had originally planned on adding) and a black sequencer. Still in total agreement with the person who suggested volteras with the 4tten slider design and keeping my fingers crossed that WMD would consider it in a revision because that would make them infinitely more playable. :love:
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

Metron is one of the best trigger sequencers out there IMO, but for melodic use I can think of a half dozen alternatives I’d prefer (which have already been mentioned in this thread).
Stu B
Common Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

NeoDataMx wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:49 pm
Stu B wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:18 pm
It's tough to swallow for sure. Keep an eye out for Prymaxe demo sales because they'll often have WMD utilities and expanders at about 30% discount. Excellent with shipping outside the US in a way that doesn't cause crazy customs duties. ;)

You know, I partly feel like when manufacturers create expanders that make up for features that arguably could have/should have been present in the initial product, prices should be a lot more reasonable. Space is definitely a consideration but I realized I can basically buy an Erica synths black sequencer for the price of 2 volteras and the functionality there is miles apart. So my setup is now a metron with one voltera (vs the 3 that I had originally planned on adding) and a black sequencer. Still in total agreement with the person who suggested volteras with the 4tten slider design and keeping my fingers crossed that WMD would consider it in a revision because that would make them infinitely more playable. :love:
I was testing a Metron this week, it’s really impressive as a drum sequencer and a lot of fun but I don’t have the space without a significant rack size upgrade. I bought a trigger riot and only have good things to say about it at this early stage. Obviously not the same beast as a metron though.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”