"Remix/ReMangle" Contest now open!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Show us what "remix" means to you! Create, share, vote, win modules & more! Free gifts too!
Join in here!

Best sounding TZFM VCO?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Best sounding TZFM VCO?

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:33 am

I am in the market for a new TZFM VCO, and was looking at the Joranalogue Generate 3, SSF ZPO and the new Instruo Neoni.

Can anyone give more insight which one is the best option, feature and sound wise? Or maybe other VCO’s.

Thanks!

Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best sounding TZFM VCO?

Post by Powerdwarf » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:37 am

they r very different. gen 3 is very clinical and neoni woody. zpo more like middle ground

djd_oz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by djd_oz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 am

I’ve tried most of them, Brenso and Neoni are my personal favourites.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:57 am

Cool, also love the other Instruo VCOs, CSL and Saich,
But the GEN3 and ZPO also sound very tempting, watched a lot YT videos.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 am

Do consider the Frap Tools Brenso also, it's a beast.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:39 am

MossGarden wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 am
Do consider the Frap Tools Brenso also, it's a beast.
Cool thx!

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:52 am

Consider the Happy Nerding FM aid and then you don’t have to buy a new oscillator! :)

closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:59 am

I have Neoni & Generate-3, and had ZPO. There’s been lots of words spent on whether ZPO is TZFM, and I won’t rehash it here. ZPO is the odd one out, though it does very deep and varied modulation, it is not like Neoni or G-3. I ended up passing ZPO on because is took up lots of space for how I was using it.

Generate-3 and Neoni are a closer comparison. Neoni is much more precise, controllable, and naturally musical. G-3 has more points of modulation, and pairs great with the Joranalogue wavefolder. Because of the phase modulation circuit, G-3 is buzzier, though the triangle out is clean.

One thing to keep in mind is that your modulator oscillator is just as important as your carrier TZFM oscillator. I’m using the Ts-L with Neoni to great effect. Getting a complex TZFM oscillator like Brenso or Mindphaser presumably gives you a well designed pairing.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:37 am

Cool thanks for all answers, I went for a Neoni and G3, and maybe have a ZPO on a good deal. Will see which one is the best for me.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am

This is almost as silly as asking ‘what’s your favorite filter?’

If it’s worth anything though, for me it’s
Intellijel Rubicon 2
and Instruo Neóni

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:19 am

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:59 am
One thing to keep in mind is that your modulator oscillator is just as important as your carrier.
true but also kind of depends on what kind of sounds your interested in. 90% of the time for me, I just use sine waves for my tzfm modulator. those are just the fm tones I’m personally into. Basically any oscillators with a decent sine wave output that tracks well works just fine for me. Sure sine waves very, but I’ve never tried a sine wave mod osc with rubicon 2 or Neoni or doepfer a110-4 in a tzfm patch that I couldnt get great results from.

If you into more harsh sounds and wave folded modulators I could see the mod osc is being more of a particular choice.

Telefone_529
Common Wiggler

Post by Telefone_529 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:45 am

My input is basically useless since I don't own any but based on demos and what I've heard from people that own it, Brenso would be my pick hands down. Sounds great, looks great, works great!

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Forgot to mention; I already have / had :

Brenso
CSL
Loquelic Iteras Percido and almost all NE Oscs
Hertz Donut Mk3
FSS Recombination Engine
All Verbos VCOS
And many more (Odessa / E352 etc etc)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:22 pm

AXN wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Brenso
CSL
Hertz Donut Mk3
FSS Recombination Engine
All Verbos VCOS
Where did the Brenso fall short for tzfm for you?

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:22 pm
AXN wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Brenso
CSL
Hertz Donut Mk3
FSS Recombination Engine
All Verbos VCOS
Where did the Brenso fall short for tzfm for you?
Didn’t like the tone of the Brenso, but have to say in am fairly new to modular. 2 years in. Still learning ;)

esmooov
Common Wiggler

Post by esmooov » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:24 pm

I've had:

- Generate 3
- Brenso
- Zero-Point Oscillator
- FM Ogre

I have replaced all of them with the Neoni and the only one I miss is the FM Ogre. For my personal sound:
- I found the phase modulation circuit artifact in the Generate 3 to make it sound too scratchy as a main oscillator. In general, the Generate 3 was just too hard to tame for me, for melodic or harmonic duties. It is an amazing LFO, audio-rate modulator, inharmonic source though.
- The Brenso's wavefolder and mod bus is great, but it had some quirks (for, instance, a bit of bleed from one channel to the other, which I was told is normal, a somewhat surgical tone when not using the wavefolder). It's a great oscillator, but, in the end, I have so many other wavefolders in my system that I couldn't justify the HP.
- The ZPO isn't "real TZFM" but who cares. My bigger issue that just that it sounded pretty vanilla. Would be a great primary oscillator though, but loses a bit of the manginess of some of the other options.
- I regret selling the FM Ogre. It's not analog. but it sound like nothing else.

The Neoni is, in the few weeks that I've had it, an absolute masterpiece. The wavefolder goes from sizzly to growly effortlessly, the routing switches are intuitive. It's nice and small. Overall, just a joy.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Hertz Donut mk2. It's worlds different from the mk3 which you have/had and I've found it pairs exceedingly well with the mk3.

Benoist
Common Wiggler

Post by Benoist » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Shapeshifter forever ...
If only you could design & load user tables easily , that would have been : :hail:

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 pm

gringostar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm
Hertz Donut mk2. It's worlds different from the mk3 which you have/had and I've found it pairs exceedingly well with the mk3.
Cool, never thought on that.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:43 pm

esmooov wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:24 pm
I've had:

- Generate 3
- Brenso
- Zero-Point Oscillator
- FM Ogre

I have replaced all of them with the Neoni and the only one I miss is the FM Ogre. For my personal sound:
- I found the phase modulation circuit artifact in the Generate 3 to make it sound too scratchy as a main oscillator. In general, the Generate 3 was just too hard to tame for me, for melodic or harmonic duties. It is an amazing LFO, audio-rate modulator, inharmonic source though.
- The Brenso's wavefolder and mod bus is great, but it had some quirks (for, instance, a bit of bleed from one channel to the other, which I was told is normal, a somewhat surgical tone when not using the wavefolder). It's a great oscillator, but, in the end, I have so many other wavefolders in my system that I couldn't justify the HP.
- The ZPO isn't "real TZFM" but who cares. My bigger issue that just that it sounded pretty vanilla. Would be a great primary oscillator though, but loses a bit of the manginess of some of the other options.
- I regret selling the FM Ogre. It's not analog. but it sound like nothing else.

The Neoni is, in the few weeks that I've had it, an absolute masterpiece. The wavefolder goes from sizzly to growly effortlessly, the routing switches are intuitive. It's nice and small. Overall, just a joy.
Have to check the Ogre, the ZPO, Neoni an GEN3 are bought / ordered now.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 pm

So is the object here actual TZFM or is it about producing TZFM-like sounds? There have been mentions of various wavetable vcos and other wave-shaping suggestions. So are we after sounding like TZFM or is this about producing actual TZFM? I'm not being a nitpicking little bitch, I'm simply curious.

:hmm:

I use this stuff for FM-like sounds:

** Intellijel Rubicon 2
** Intellijel Dixie2+
** Intellijel uFold2
** Happy Nerding FM Aid.
** Doepfer dual ring modulator.

None of that list works worth a shit without the use of VCAs on various inputs. I use four Doepfer quad VCAs (totalling 16 VCAs) and a number of various modulators in the form of LFOs, EGs, and the like. Recurrent modulation is also useful within this approach.
Last edited by Rex Coil 7 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
5U SEMI-MODULAR PERFORMANCE SYNTH NORMALIZING PROJECT
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:55 pm

esmooov wrote:
Completely agree.
I hadn't bought many modules recently, and took a chance on Neoni & Eas on release. Neoni doesn't have the instant coolness of a granular processor, battleship sequencer, etc -but it is most certainly the sleeper hit of the last few years in eurorack for me. There's so much care and thought behind it.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:01 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:55 pm
esmooov wrote:
Completely agree.
I hadn't bought many modules recently, and took a chance on Neoni & Eas on release. Neoni doesn't have the instant coolness of a granular processor, battleship sequencer, etc -but it is most certainly the sleeper hit of the last few years in eurorack for me. There's so much care and thought behind it.
Really good to read, looking forward to it.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:02 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 pm
So is the object here actual TZFM or is it about producing TZFM-like sounds? There have been mentions of various wavetable vcos and other wave-shaping suggestions. So are we after sounding like TZFM or is this about producing actual TZFM? I'm not being a nitpicking little bitch, I'm simply curious.

:hmm:

I use this stuff for FM-like sounds:

** Intellijel Rubicon 2
** Intellijel Dixie2+
** Intellijel uFold2
** Happy Nerding FM Aid.
** Doepfer dual ring modulator.

None of that list works worth a shit without the use of VCAs on various inputs. I use four Doepfer quad VCAs (totalling 16 VCAs) and a number of various modulators in the form of LFOs, EGs, and the like. Recurrent modulation is also useful within this approach.
About real TZFM.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:06 pm

gringostar wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm
Hertz Donut mk2.
Yes!
Benoist wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:19 pm
Shapeshifter forever ...
Also yes!

Odessa is pretty interesting for TZFM too.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”