Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Toppobrillo Multifilter 2!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

wrngtrls
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Toppobrillo Multifilter 2!

Post by wrngtrls »

drfiresign wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:23 am
hypnoz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 am I just got one, what is with the wobbly janky feeling pots on this? No other module I own has wobbly pots. Also almost no resistance when turning them. Disappointing
Pot resistance is not always analogous with durability and strength. Could sometimes inticate something will actually wear out because it's causing tons of friction. If you haven't noticed, pretty much all electronic parts are in short supply right now as well. Sometimes you have to buy what you can get your hands on.

I agree that the lack of friction is both noticeable and intentional - it's a performance-based feature. It's a full spectrum knob and calibrated so that there aren't hardly any dead zones across the multiple bands/shelves you might be hearing. Having less resistance means it's not going to wear down when you wiggle all day and all of the night. You can play the extremes of the cutoff in a flash due to the lack of resistance - not unlike a DJ scratch pad. (Another performance feature is the LP/HP very handy for when your source shifts register or waveform).
jarvis
concerned with insignificances

Post by jarvis »

It's because of the type of pot used—some have collars that get bolted to the panel, some do not. I can not speak to the durability, actual or perceived, of either, but both type of pots are widely used. Make Noise, for example, typically use the collar-less pots. The new TipTop Buchla modules are another example. If you sit there and wobble the pots side to side intentionally, you will of course be aware of the wobble. I suspect over time you can get used to it, if you allow. I personally don't find the ones on the MF2 either too wobbly or too frictionless, but that might just be because of my own style of "playing". To each their own
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

The problem with no resistance, aside from not feeling good to wiggle (imo), is you cannot easily turn knobs with one finger. This is doubly so on this module since the pots also wobble. An example of a better implementation of the performance aspect is Sara VCF. It has almost-no resistance, but can still move smoothly with one finger and it turns fast enough for playing the cutoff extremes.

I am not sure about the wearing down part, it depends on the mechanism used to create resistance. Either way, I would take the trade off of a more enjoyable wiggling experience over a “maybe it will last longer” but I will dislike using it.

Even compared to MN, these wobble probably 2x as much.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

I posted this in another thread- I'm not really tooled up to make professional looking video content.. but it's kinda fun, if laborious. I'll get part 2 edited and posted soon, cheers

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”