Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Toppobrillo Multifilter 2!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

ackno
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Toppobrillo Multifilter 2!

Post by ackno »

no worries, enjoy your trip, totally understandable to take some time when possible ‘post’-COVID
skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop »

ackno wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:06 am no worries, enjoy your trip, totally understandable to take some time when possible ‘post’-COVID
Unfortunately, it's very much not ‘post’-COVID here in Japan (where I think he mentioned going) :waah:
blue noise
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

thank you :) it's been my plan for a while to get here (tokyo) when I felt like I could, ie had the right people.
dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k »

Enjoy Japan! My wife and I were planning to go in Fall of 2020 but well.. I've been twice but she's never been. Hoping for next year at this point.

In the meantime we're enjoying our sport mods, and I'll look forward to the multifilter once Jason is done QC.
ackno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ackno »

skinpop wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:13 am
ackno wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:06 am no worries, enjoy your trip, totally understandable to take some time when possible ‘post’-COVID
Unfortunately, it's very much not ‘post’-COVID here in Japan (where I think he mentioned going) :waah:
yes, yes, hence the scare-quotes on post. it's not at all post- here in the states either as much as many want to believe it is
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

big batch of filters shipping tomorrow, keep a lookout for your shipping notice!
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

I should add- since I have been on vacay, I've been a bit more scatter-brained than usual about emails.. ***if you are going to be out of town or are otherwise unable to receive your package in the next couple of weeks, please email me (again) so I can hold the shipment.*** I don't want anythign getting lost. Thanks!
cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned »

Woohoo, an update! I've been wondering what the latest is.
soot
Common Wiggler

Post by soot »

Got my shipping notification!
:goo: :goo: :goo:
AnalogDigits
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogDigits »

Email in-box made me happy, today.
Thanks, Josh!
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

I recently ‘discovered’ audio rate modulation of filter state on my Altar, and absolutely love the sound. Very cool to see the capability here too, it’s pretty rare.

One question: the site mentions voltage-controllable gain, but I don’t see that on the panel. I’m probably just missing something, but how is the gain voltage controllable?
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

Stice wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:23 am I recently ‘discovered’ audio rate modulation of filter state on my Altar, and absolutely love the sound. Very cool to see the capability here too, it’s pretty rare.

One question: the site mentions voltage-controllable gain, but I don’t see that on the panel. I’m probably just missing something, but how is the gain voltage controllable?
yees~ it's super useful. when the MF is self-oscillating, phase modulation of the VARIABLE output is accomplished by patching a bipolar modulation source into the MODE CV input (another sine wave works well here) with the MODE switch set to BP (up position) and the VARI knob set to around 12 o'clock... adjust CV level to taste. Flip the MODE switch down (to NP) and you will get 4-quadrant multiplication (ring modulation) of the VARIABLE output. Mix in some audio and back the RES off for some really good stuff... Feedback patch any of the outputs to the MODE CV input for alot of interesting stuff.

the CV input jack above the inputs is VCG (in the filled box) . I will publish a very quick getting started sheet this evening.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

ok, working on the guide, here's what I have thus far. more later!

Multifilter 2 User’s Guide. Rough Draft.

Multifilter 2 is a redesign of the original blablabla.. added features blabla..

Getting Started
….

Input Mixer
The two DC-coupled main inputs to the filter labeled “A” and “B” are selectable/ mixable and adjustable via MIX(), LEVEL(), and the VCG() input. The resulting mix is then through a VCA and subsequent soft-saturation stage, with up to ~+20dB gain available.

MIX
crossfades between input sources “A” and “B”.()()

LEVEL/ VCG
The LEVEL() knob sets the initial level of the input mix- by default, this control takes the mix from zero to unity. The “O/D” jumper at the module’s rear, when set, opens the control up, allowing the LEVEL knob to manually take the input mix into warm and heavy soft-saturation starting just past 12 o’ clock. The VCG() input adds voltage-control.

This parameter has a tailored logarithmic response curve and is designed such that, depending on the CV source and the LEVEL knob’s setting, you will find a place along the curve that allows you to dial in anything from clean VCA behavior, to heavily distorted accents.

The orange LED () will begin to light just before saturation, if you want to keep the mix clean, it’s easy to back the LEVEL knob off a bit.

Tip: Taking a mix of two sources into saturation can enhance your listening pleasure immensely and give the filter alot more to chew on.

PING
The third input is the PING() input. PING takes any input source with a relatively fast rising edge
(falling ramps, pulses, clocks, etc) and extracts a narrow pulse that can be used to excite/ percuss the filter in a controlled and consistent fashion (This effect is most pronounced with the resonance dialed up a bit). The pulse responds to rising edges only , and ignores falling edges or in between states.

tip: The PING input sounds great when used with an audio source, patch one in and dial up the resonance a bit for oscillator-sync and vocal timbres.
Durdee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Durdee »

Just got mine a few days ago and it sounds SO GOOD. I’ve got a lot of filters for different jobs and this one is something I don’t have anything similar to already. Bravo!
wrngtrls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wrngtrls »

Got the Multifilter 2 doing tablas on this synth raga of sorts:
I've gone filter mad recently and I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

wrngtrls wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:26 pm Got the Multifilter 2 doing tablas on this synth raga of sorts:
I've gone filter mad recently and I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon.
:yay:
skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop »

just got mine yesterday. I've only had 20 minutes with it so far but I can already tell we're going to have a really good time together.
blue noise
Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf »

skinpop wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:46 am just got mine yesterday. I've only had 20 minutes with it so far but I can already tell we're going to have a really good time together.
I have a Filter 8 as my sole filter. Does the sound of M2 remind you of that (if you have experinec/heard it)? Or is it more colored compared to the extremely clean filter 8?

Really want another filter at some point and the M2 seems very nice feature wise - but if it is as clean as Filter 8 I wouldn't go there, or I would have to replace Filter 8 with the M2 which I'm not exactly inclined to do right now.
skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop »

Cpaf wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:04 am
skinpop wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:46 am just got mine yesterday. I've only had 20 minutes with it so far but I can already tell we're going to have a really good time together.
I have a Filter 8 as my sole filter. Does the sound of M2 remind you of that (if you have experinec/heard it)? Or is it more colored compared to the extremely clean filter 8?

Really want another filter at some point and the M2 seems very nice feature wise - but if it is as clean as Filter 8 I wouldn't go there, or I would have to replace Filter 8 with the M2 which I'm not exactly inclined to do right now.
I also have a Filter 8 and I think they sound quite different. I guess what I would say is that M2 has character, but in a clean way(that easily can be pushed into not so clean), while Filter 8 is more clinical and requires more work to get it into an interesting place and even then it might not be the character you are looking for. M2 imo just sounds great, I like its 'baseline' character more, if that makes any sense. :party:
blue noise
Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf »

skinpop wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:53 am
Cpaf wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:04 am

I also have a Filter 8 and I think they sound quite different. I guess what I would say is that M2 has character, but in a clean way(that easily can be pushed into not so clean), while Filter 8 is more clinical and requires more work to get it into an interesting place and even then it might not be the character you are looking for. M2 imo just sounds great, I like its 'baseline' character more, if that makes any sense. :party:
Thx ! I'll definitely dig a bit deeper on M2 then!
Raymond
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raymond »

You should hurry then because there aren’t a lot left available (if any?) and there would be most likely no new batch before 2023 apparently due to the global shortage.
Amchucker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Amchucker »

Just got mine sounds excellent!
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

I just got one, what is with the wobbly janky feeling pots on this? No other module I own has wobbly pots. Also almost no resistance when turning them. Disappointing
drfiresign
Common Wiggler

Post by drfiresign »

hypnoz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 am I just got one, what is with the wobbly janky feeling pots on this? No other module I own has wobbly pots. Also almost no resistance when turning them. Disappointing
Pot resistance is not always analogous with durability and strength. Could sometimes inticate something will actually wear out because it's causing tons of friction. If you haven't noticed, pretty much all electronic parts are in short supply right now as well. Sometimes you have to buy what you can get your hands on.
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Yeah but why are they so wobbly? Seems like a design choice. Does not feel good to wiggle, especially in combination with no resistance. I know no resistance does not equate to its reliability.

As far as shortages, I wasn’t aware there was one on pots. I’ve bought other modules produced recently that didn’t have these issues.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”