Your favorite generative trigger sequencers/rhythm generators?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

japes
Common Wiggler

Your favorite generative trigger sequencers/rhythm generators?

Post by japes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:45 am

Curious what's out there.

timini
Common Wiggler

Re: Your favorite generative trigger sequencers/rhythm generators?

Post by timini » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:26 am

also interested..

so far i'm only aware of grids and euclidian circles, they com up a lot on youtube, but i never had the pleasure to play with them, yet...

timini
Common Wiggler

Post by timini » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:29 am

One idea i had was to use a 4 way seq switch to switch between 4 different trigger patterns, input could be simple clock multiplications / shuffles / grids / etc

Its not really generative though!

xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 am

Marbles T side in yellow mode is my favorite random rhythm generator. Also putting Varigate in random mode can generate some crazy rhythms as well.

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 am

Maybe not strictly "generative," but I like how a MakeNoise Rene can become unpredictable while generating great rhythms, especially the mk2 with the Z axis.

Xinod
Common Wiggler

Post by Xinod » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:38 am

Shakmat's Four Bricks Rook - Really hands-on and fun! You don't have to be a pro finger drummer, but you definitely want to disable the quantize.
Loop length, tables and fill (all with CV control) help getting the generative feel running!

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:47 am

Trigger Riot? Knight's Gallop? Various things do Euclidian patterns too, like Pam's, the FH-2 etc..

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am

Generative is all about how you patch it. So pretty much any of them should work. For a patch that evolves over time you'll want something with cv inputs so that other modules can make changes to patterns. Noise Engineering Numeric and Zularic Repetitors are good for this as well as DNI Pro's Dot. 4ms Rotating Clock divider and Shuffling Multiplier can be handy too! Just naming a few off the top of my head here..... Oh yeah, Ladik Shuffling Grid is nice.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

Dadodetres
Common Wiggler

Post by Dadodetres » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:57 am

xcc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 am
Marbles T side in yellow mode is my favorite random rhythm generator.

How doesthe Yellow mode work ?
The manual doesnt seem to specify, just say that it follow "drum style patterns"

bronzebygold
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bronzebygold » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 am

If you're asking about favorite single module, I'd have to say NLC Bindubba Sequencer actually. The gate outputs on the Bindubba Sequencer make a fantastic and very unique trigger sequencer, especially if they are feedback patched to modulate whatever is actually modulating the Bindubba Sequencer itself.

But as others have pointed out, there are a million ways to generate rhythms and trigger sequences that don't necessarily focus on one particular module. I use the ADDAC 403 VC Time Signature Clock Source and mult it through several Bernoulli gate, logic modules, gate-to-trigger converters, and OR combiners. I often mix a steady trigger sequence with random gates (from SSF URA) or semi-random modulation from various comparators.

There's really no "right" way to sequence rhythms, and the most interesting approaches I've found often involve rolling your own "sequencer" of some sort.

foolish
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foolish » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 am

Marbles. A host of options to make interesting rhythms. It strikes a nice balance between generating something intriguing without being annoyingly random. And it does melodies.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 am

The euclidean functionality of Tetrapad+Tete is amazing, trig+cv x4 loopable, glitchy fun.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:33 am

Marbles, Teletype, Zorlon Cannon, Drezno fed by an LFO (with or without Jena), Compare 2 fed by an LFO

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:34 am

bronzebygold wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 am
There's really no "right" way to sequence rhythms, and the most interesting approaches I've found often involve rolling your own "sequencer" of some sort.
It's also fun to have multiple sequencers (preferably with their own takes on directed probability etc.) playing off against/modulating each other. This way lies madness, but it's fun.

That's the most fun part about modular, you don't need to make "a sequencer" per se, just have a sea of sequencer-type signals available in the rack. For some reason, I like using sequencers as sequencers, but often not in the way straightforward way they seem to be designed for, even before throwing in Bernoulli gates, sequential switches and all that other knees-up stuff.

modeland
Common Wiggler

Post by modeland » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

Westlicht Per|former - not strictly a trigger sequencer, but it has per-step ratchet, cv-able clock division, proability AND logic conditions, fills, Euclidean & Random generators, etc. Each track can be programmed from 1-64 steps, first and last steps CV-addressable (independently). I always set it up with a bit of proability and modulation (via CV or tracks modulating one another) and it gets really generative really quickly. It's also one of the cheapest EIGHT-TRACK full-fledged sequencers in Euro.

I also love the Frequency Central Bartos Flur, a CV to gate/trigger converter. I've got the original but the mk2 looks even better.
Last edited by modeland on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:33 am

mystic circuits vert is a cool one for this that always gets overlooked. feed it audio or CV and it spits out gates based on analog to dgital bit counter, probably something like the xaoc subsystem starthief mentioned. its easy to control too, there's a bipolar switch and a rate knob to slow down the gate patterns from bitcrushed sounds to rhythmic repeating patterns, especially once you feed it a clock. oh and you can FM it for more madness.

zularic is cool, as is grids, but those are based on predetermined rhythm tables. vert is completely open ended.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:01 pm

I don't have the vast experience with modules that some here have, but I agree that the 4ms SCM and RCD are simple and effective tools for this sort of thing.

To give an answer based on function rather than product, you can achieve generative rhythms using a bunch of cyclic CV, clocks, binary logic gates, switches, and comparators. Clock and/or comparator outputs into logic gates, sequential switches to re-rout what goes where.

Not exactly On Topic but you can't ignore the power of delays for creating unpredictable rhythmic variation, too.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 pm

Whelm wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:01 pm
Not exactly On Topic but you can't ignore the power of delays for creating unpredictable rhythmic variation, too.
I really fancy a DC-coupled delay, so I can futz with delay on CV too without having to mess with rectification elsewhere ;)

flipper16
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flipper16 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 pm

I can't believe Turing Machine hasn't got a mention yet! :hmm: Oh wait, there you go... :tu:

_gasStationShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _gasStationShrimp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:33 am
mystic circuits vert is a cool one for this that always gets overlooked. feed it audio or CV and it spits out gates based on analog to dgital bit counter, probably something like the xaoc subsystem starthief mentioned. its easy to control too, there's a bipolar switch and a rate knob to slow down the gate patterns from bitcrushed sounds to rhythmic repeating patterns, especially once you feed it a clock. oh and you can FM it for more madness.

zularic is cool, as is grids, but those are based on predetermined rhythm tables. vert is completely open ended.
NLC 8 bit cipher pretty similar functionality, except its has no knobs and you need to supply your own clock.

thatsmidnight
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thatsmidnight » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:05 pm

Admittedly, I haven't bought it, yet, but I'm really liking all the information I'm reading about the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis.
:goo: Wiggling :goo: in :goo: VCV Rack :goo: land! :goo:

My currently planned rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1714521 :help:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:08 pm

I wrote a custom generative trigger sequencer/rhythm generator for Befaco Lich (and also as a pure data patch I run directly with ES-9).

Fsociety
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fsociety » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:21 pm

Iron Ether Pithoprakta. Pretty underrated.

Wavtekt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Sequential Switches ...

e.g. Muxlicer, Tree /// up and coming - Step 8, Vice Virga (never tried, looks good on paper)

grrrwaaa
Common Wiggler

Post by grrrwaaa » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Yes, or any addressable sequencer, whether by CV offset, stage selecting, binary patterns, etc. Two or three of those talking to each other goes a very long way. All of those sequential switches are addressable in some way, as us the Sequence Selector, Popcorn, and many others.

But you can also do so much with just s&h, switch, comparator, noise, etc. You can build a Branches that way. E.g. a regular s&h of noise, clocked by a meter or rhythm that is also sent into a switch, where the S&H out controls the switch (depending on the switch, you might need to mix in an offset). So many ways to extend that.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”