Noise Engineering - Vice Virga

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Muff McMuff
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Noise Engineering - Vice Virga

Post by Muff McMuff » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:19 pm

rayultine wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:18 pm
Spectra wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:01 pm
starthief wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm sure "A-101-3" is a much clearer name

I recognize my bread and butter Dopefer modules by function, not model number. Dopefer Quad LFO is the name I recognize. Not the number. The numbers are easier for me to remember than Latin.

One of my NE modules is the Roti Pola, a 4 input bipolar mixer. I had to look up the name just now to talk about it because I remember it as Roly Poly which is coincidentally the name of an isopod crustacean of the family Armadillidiidae (also known as pill bugs). :confused:
Turkey Ruiner
Naming a distortion module after Keith Ruiner the little known death metal guitarist who died in San Francisco dive bar in 1989, electrocuted by a dodgy amp, is pretty rad.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:43 pm

If he hadn’t pissed into that amp (RIP), he’d probably still be alive today, pissing all over you wankers who are appropriating his legacy.

Muff McMuff
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:40 am

The exact spot on google maps where his band mates and fans gave him a sea burial in an old US Navy torpedo casing they had found at a scrap yard. Rip Keith Ruina.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8199702 ... 384!8i8192

tdallas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:40 am

[Cleanup] Video consolidated with initial post.
Last edited by tdallas on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:40 am

starthief wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:46 pm
I'm sure "A-101-3" is a much clearer name
That one is actually called "A-101-3 Modular 12 Stage Vactrol Phaser" ... pretty correct description.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:02 am

I love the NI module names, and find them pretty easy to remember. On the flip side, Doepfer numbered modules...

Wavtekt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:33 am

Looks to be an interesting switch module, it has a nice feature set.

Not sure how well it does with v/oct signal and not sure it can go up to audio-rate though.

P.S. I think NE need to learn from Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji for proper Latin naming ...

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 am

Incidentally, I've never used a seq switch before but could you not achieve the same effect with a quad vca firing random CVs into the amp level inputs?

tdallas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:50 am

[Cleanup] Video consolidated with initial post.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:57 am

James_S wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 am
Incidentally, I've never used a seq switch before but could you not achieve the same effect with a quad vca firing random CVs into the amp level inputs?
no, this is changing the output routing. imagine the cables on the outs are being flip flopped around.

mylar explains it pretty well, of course

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:07 am

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:57 am
James_S wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 am
no, this is changing the output routing. imagine the cables on the outs are being flip flopped around.

mylar explains it pretty well, of course

Ah okay that makes more sense! I wasn't really digging the official demo but that's probably mainly due to the choice of sounds rather than the module itself. This video by Mylar is much more appealing, so thanks!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:52 am

Oh wow, an actual panel from NE that is super easy to read! :clap:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:57 pm

MDurden wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 pm
Any idea how much voltage drop this has for v/oct sequences? I’m guessing this will not be very precise for pitch … I don’t see any mention of it on their product page or manual.
I didn't get at specific voltage drop answer for this one but I got this answer back based on my more general question along the same lines....

My question was ..."Looking to get some info on the new Vice Virga module. Is this module suitable for switching volt/octave pitch CV without audible voltage drops?"

Got the following back from NE Staff:
Hi Darryl,
The Vice Virga worked for pitch sequences in the patches we made, but we can't guarantee perfect performance with every module.
Let us know if you have any other questions!
-Markus

Does that help??
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:52 am
Oh wow, an actual panel from NE that is super easy to read! :clap:
Once I looked at the manual and the layout it makes perfect sense to me now.
When I first looked at it I thought maybe it was a prototype in-house build photo with "missing" labeling. :doh:

Where the hell is all the other usual visual (Mis)guidance? :hmm:

It's just super simple where I was expecting something more convoluted.

In here <<-

Out there ->>

Everything else mostly up top. ^^

Hell! I won't even have to look back at the manual from now on.
I be knowin' how it's workin' and all that sit! :yay:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

MDurden
Common Wiggler

Post by MDurden » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Phitar wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:57 pm
MDurden wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 pm
Any idea how much voltage drop this has for v/oct sequences? I’m guessing this will not be very precise for pitch … I don’t see any mention of it on their product page or manual.
I didn't get at specific voltage drop answer for this one but I got this answer back based on my more general question along the same lines....

My question was ..."Looking to get some info on the new Vice Virga module. Is this module suitable for switching volt/octave pitch CV without audible voltage drops?"

Got the following back from NE Staff:
Hi Darryl,
The Vice Virga worked for pitch sequences in the patches we made, but we can't guarantee perfect performance with every module.
Let us know if you have any other questions!
-Markus

Does that help??
Yeah I got the same exact answer too from Markus. Doesn't really answer the question though. A module either is or isn't pitch accurate with v/octave. For example the Doepfer A-150-8 specifically states on the product page that it has voltage drop and would not be that precise. The Noise Engineering Quantus Pax specifically notes how pitch accurate it is and how they chose specific parts to help keep the precision.

Markus's answer kinda sounds like "idk, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't" . . . which doesn't make sense to me.

I pressed Markus a little further and he eventually replied back that it is precise but with "inherent limitations of switches". . . but then I asked what inherent limitations he is referring to and he replied back he is not an engineer and doesn't have a great understanding of it's workings.

Not sure why he just doesn't ask the engineers he works with at Noise ENGINEERING, lol. But ok whatever, I think I was going to get this module regardless of the pitch precision, it would have just been nice to know.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Wavtekt wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:33 am
P.S. I think NE need to learn from Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji for proper Latin naming ...
yeah, they should probably hire an add'l consultant. somebody sensible enough to know that it's not cool to make up informal words or puns for their module names. for anything, for that matter. don't people know that making up playful names isn't proper? i keep forgetting what the bridge of asses does in my rig.

Telefone_529
Common Wiggler

Post by Telefone_529 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:59 pm

imo since the versio line started NE has cleaned the aesthetic up a lot while maintaining their signature look. A nice maturation of the brand imo. Meanwhile MN is going further into their design ideas, the difference between the panel design of erbe verb vs the strega is drastic.

But thats neither here nor there. This module looks very cool and opens up a lot of possibilities! I'm curious if this can switch at audio rates as well. And if so up to what frequency or if there is a known realistic limit (200Ghz would be a bit much to expect lol).

I'm also sure its not an issue but with so many other modules plugged into this one single module, is there any worry for noise to creep up if you don't keep an eye(ear?) on it? I'm no engineer though so maybe thats an absurdly ridiculous question to ask.

I've known about NE since I started with modular and I continue to be amazed at the maturation of the company from a bunch of noisy and sometimes really nice(sounding) modules to having these really versatile modules that still get noisy and nasty but also can be used in a ton of different ways, then the versio line with the free firmware swapping and open source really hits exactly what modular is all about imo. To now, seeing some of these unique and really useful basic building blocks is really exciting as well! I'm curious what the next killer from NE will be!

skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 pm

I prefer their older panel aesthetic. Just looked more refined and tasteful to me. Perhaps not the most legible but I never had an issue with that. The new designs have too many memes/pop culture references going on with the bats, master blasters and what not for me to like them. Afaik the old panels were design by an artist who they aren't working with anymore.

Has no impact on whether I'd buy one of their modules though, I just have a strong preference for their earlier panels and don't care for the new ones.
blue noise

flies
Common Wiggler

Post by flies » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:02 am

Does this do N to N switching? That is, in pair mode, it starts I1->O1, I2->O2, and then on advance it switches to I1->O2, I2->O1?

It looks like they do this in the video but I can't tell for sure (not mentioned in the manual afaict). There are many bidirectional switches in euro but nearly all do N->1 (select input) or 1->N (select output), and there are very few that are "full multiplex".

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am

Telefone_529 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:59 pm
imo since the versio line started NE has cleaned the aesthetic up a lot while maintaining their signature look. A nice maturation of the brand imo. Meanwhile MN is going further into their design ideas, the difference between the panel design of erbe verb vs the strega is drastic.
Hey, I think that Strega's panel makes total sense.
It is the result of, um Tonic blended with um Tones and Filtered with a full Absorbed Activation and....
WTF does it all mean ?

PS this looks like a great switch idea, more fun that an A-151
A-151 requires external trickery in switching in order to do many of the things this one will.

and I also somewhat dislike the NE aesthetic but also the MN aesthetic and a few other manufacturers.

I want sterile lab equipment ....(old man raising fist emoji, which no longer seems to be available)
Stay Calm - We are in this forever
.......Steven Banks wannabe.......

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 pm

flies wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:02 am
Does this do N to N switching? That is, in pair mode, it starts I1->O1, I2->O2, and then on advance it switches to I1->O2, I2->O1?

It looks like they do this in the video but I can't tell for sure (not mentioned in the manual afaict). There are many bidirectional switches in euro but nearly all do N->1 (select input) or 1->N (select output), and there are very few that are "full multiplex".
I think the "1>x?" mode is random N>N.

If you want an N>N switch with real controls, you want the WMD SSM or Matrixarchate. No offense meant to the Vice Verga, though, which looks like the best switch in its category!

noise-e
Common Wiggler

Post by noise-e » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:35 pm

flies wrote:

Yes, it does what you describe in Grp 2 mode!

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:30 pm

noise-e wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:35 pm
flies wrote:

Yes, it does what you describe in Grp 2 mode!
Yeah Baby!!! :goo: color me hap hap happy!

Oh...but will it switch at audio rates without melting?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Baby bunch starting to show.

I've been waiting for this for awhile and thought it was vapor but I'm glad it's finally here. Can anyone explain the reason there's an OFFSET knob and an ADV button? They seem to do the exact same thing with the obvious being OFFSET allows either direction.
THUMPR BC SC

tl3ss
Common Wiggler

Post by tl3ss » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:03 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:00 pm
Baby bunch starting to show.

I've been waiting for this for awhile and thought it was vapor but I'm glad it's finally here. Can anyone explain the reason there's an OFFSET knob and an ADV button? They seem to do the exact same thing with the obvious being OFFSET allows either direction.
This is similar to the Mimetic Digitalis which has both gate inputs and CV inputs. I find I get totally different results working one or the other or both. I also think the offset knob will offset the start point of which output it considers to be the “first” so resets will send it back to step 4 for example if that is where you offset it to, as opposed to the step button that is just advancing to the next step

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”