Chronoblob 2 or DLD

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Chronoblob 2 or DLD

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 am

I know the correct answer is get both, and I likely will eventually because I love delays. But for now I was wondering what the DLD can do that Chronoblob 2 can't or what would be the pros and cons of either versus the other. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Chrono blob 2 first because it has lower HP and is less money. I can get the dld locally so I'll probably eventually pick one of those up on a whim if I have the money.

I'm looking for a clinical delay that I can use on melodic and drum sequences for complex rhythms as well as feedback patches. From what i can tell both of these modules cover a lot of the same territory. I currently have a Mimeophone, a 2hp delay, a dreadbox Nostalgia and a Prism for delay fx. I think the Chronoblob or DLD would fill that need for a tight clinical but musical delay for my system. I've done lots of reading here about them both but would love to hear any comparisons between the 2. Thanks!

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Chronoblob 2 or DLD

Post by sir stony » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:52 am

For a "clinical" delay, I like to use the Disting. I choose another option whenever I want to add a certain coloring flavour, warmth, grit, or modulation features, and the Feedback 1bit delay has become my champion.

edit: sorry to not have commented on the two you have focused on.

Mr. Aloud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:59 am

You will get both in the end anyway. The question is not "which one", but "in which order". Pun aside, think about how you want to play it:

Chrono: 12 HP, 3 pots, 3 CV (feedback, delay time, dry/wet), CV attenuators, infinite button+gate, SINGLE delay engine
DLD: 20 HP, per engine 4 pots (3 same as Chrono plus delay feed), addtl. timing switches, infinite button+gate, reverse button+gate, DUAL delay engines

To me it seems the DLD offes more bang for the buck, can be better wiggled and/or remote controlled, but needs external CV level control.
To really compare them, look at two Chronos (600,-) vs one DLD (430,-), the price/performance favors the DLD even more.
HP wise it isn´t much difference if you add 4hp of CV attenuverters to the DLD they´re the same.

Did you look at:
Erica Black Stereo
Tapographic
Eventide
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 am

I don't own a Chronoblob but DLD is one of favourite Euro modules. So while I can't compare them soundwise they appear to be rather different looking at the specs: While Chrono seems to be a very well designed but vanilla delay, DLD has some tricks up its sleeve:

1: It's dual mono. So while It's very easy to use it as a stereo delay you can always use it as two independent mono delays.
2: Super long delay times. Combine this with the hold function and the ultra stabile clock sync and you have the most intuitive tool to create tempo synced loops from a modular imaginable.
3: The delay feed parameter. It always puzzles me why not All delays have this. I prefer this to dial in dry/wet balance than the actual dry/wet control because your dry signal always maintains the same volume and the wet signal decays naturally when you turn down feed.
It also makes dubby momentary effects possible where you usually would have to patch split dry/wet signal paths or use an aux send of a mixer.
4: Lastly, while It's usually super clean it overdrives nicely when pushed to its Limits with a super loud input signal

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:54 am

Thanks! That Definitely confirms that I will likely pick up.the DLD sooner than later. It was the first one that caught my attention for many of the reasons you both laid out here. So maybe I'll end up getting it first afterall. I certainly get excited thinking of the possibilities using it.

xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 am
I don't own a Chronoblob but DLD is one of favourite Euro modules. So while I can't compare them soundwise they appear to be rather different looking at the specs: While Chrono seems to be a very well designed but vanilla delay, DLD has some tricks up its sleeve:

1: It's dual mono. So while It's very easy to use it as a stereo delay you can always use it as two independent mono delays.
2: Super long delay times. Combine this with the hold function and the ultra stabile clock sync and you have the most intuitive tool to create tempo synced loops from a modular imaginable.
3: The delay feed parameter. It always puzzles me why not All delays have this. I prefer this to dial in dry/wet balance than the actual dry/wet control because your dry signal always maintains the same volume and the wet signal decays naturally when you turn down feed.
It also makes dubby momentary effects possible where you usually would have to patch split dry/wet signal paths or use an aux send of a mixer.
4: Lastly, while It's usually super clean it overdrives nicely when pushed to its Limits with a super loud input signal
Chronoblob 2 can also do two individual mono delays.

As for clinical, it doesn’t get much more clinical than the DLD. The only downside to me is the inability to do pitch changey delays.

I chose Chronoblob, so naturally I have both now.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:13 am

Nice. so would you agree it's worth having both? if you had to choose between the 2 would you go with the DLD or is there any special reason to prefer the Chronoblob?

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:16 am

I guess I overlooked your comment about the pitch changing delays possible with the Chronoblob. Am I right in assuming you can get more complexity out of the DLD?

Mr. Aloud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:17 am

xcc wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 am
Chronoblob 2 can also do two individual mono delays.

I chose Chronoblob, so naturally I have both now.
Same. If I want to control two mono delays independently, I prefer DLD, as it has per mono controls (you need external cv on the chrono and can access time only afaik). If however you want shared controls but separate sound signals, then it´s easier to dial things in on the chrono. Yeah, more reasons to get both.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:12 pm

DLD has reverse delay, I don’t think the CB2 can do that.

Tangled Tales
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tangled Tales » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:33 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:59 am
To me it seems the DLD offes more bang for the buck, can be better wiggled and/or remote controlled, but needs external CV level control.
[...]if you add 4hp of CV attenuverters to the DLD they´re the same.
I'm fairly new to eurorack, I have the DLD but no attenuverters, what am I missing out on?

Mr. Aloud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:49 pm

When applying CV you want to be able to control the range of said CV. So for example when you have a simple LFO that modulates a parameter, you don´t always want it to go from +10V to -10V = maximum to minimum. An Attenuator takes away from the range, so you end up with, say, +4V to -4V.

Now this attenuator can be built into the LFO, setting the outgoing voltage range. Or it can be built in the receiving unit. Or both. And of course you can use a dedicated attenuator, attenuverter, mixer and whatnot in between sender and receiver of the CV to mangle with the control signal.

The chronoblob for example has voltage inputs for time, feedback and dry/wet mix and a bipolar attenuator for each, meaning you can make a positive CV result in negative modulation or just limit the CV´s effect.

Attenuators are also useful to adjust CV ranges: Let´s say your LFO works in the +-10V range. DLD time expects +-5V. Without attenuation, you´d be at minimum / maximum as long as the LFO sends between 5 and 10V. An attenuator would adjust the voltage into the correct range to cover exactly the values the receiver expects.

moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Tangled Tales wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:33 pm
I'm fairly new to eurorack, I have the DLD but no attenuverters, what am I missing out on?
In general: Subtle modulation. Without attenuation your modulation signal, let’s say an LFO, always sweeps through the whole range of the parameter you’re modulating. But you probably want the parameter to only be changed in a certain range around some sweet spot.

In particular for the DLD: I like to do very subtle modulation of the time in unquantized mode (press hold and turn the time knob, the time CV is now not snapping to the the integer ratios), gives it a bit more life. Also attenuation is a must for feedback patches through the sends/returns.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:29 pm

Leaning heavily towards the DLD.

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 pm

SO i ended up getting the DLD today and holy cow..... this thing is a beast. I've only spent an hour or so jamming with Octave Mandolin through it, controlling the clock with an envelope follower that's being controlled by the octave mandolin and I can't believe the sounds I'm getting out of the DLD. It's insane. Everything from lush Pad delays to these gnarly bass growls. I just sampled the hell out of it. So glad I grabbed one. Can't wait to play some horns through it.

Mr. Aloud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Aloud » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:51 am

Happy to see that you´re happy :) Enjoy!

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 am

Jazz-Circuit wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 am
I'm looking for a clinical delay
Define "clinical".

Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 am

By clinical I just mean a delay that will cleanly repeat phrases in precise divisions of time which the DLD definitely does..... and so much more. I'm so impressed I'd definitely buy 2 if I had the dough. Eventually I just may though. It's a very useful module for my purposes which includes using live instrumentation, mostly horns and string instruments, with my modular setup. It's allowing me to precisely capture musical phrases using envelope followers so that the playing of the instrument is dictating the delay clock and divisions. It's also very easy to play along with and layer on the fly. I've only had a couple hours with it though so far.

Dadodetres
Common Wiggler

Post by Dadodetres » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 am

I researched both since I'm looking for almost the same things as you.
Apart from everything said before, the Delay Feed in the DLD lets us do Frippertronics.
Also, combine it with a dual filter (HP and LP) in the effect loops for sonicall sculpture.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”