Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Post by deft_bonz »

analogPedagog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:23 pm
deft_bonz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 am Sounds awesome, and very versatile.

Something is bugging me: Is it me, or is the tune or something else changing during the fills? Maybe the limiter kicking in and dropping the subsequent kicks lower?
The tune is not changing. There is a somewhat complex transient generated from the input trigger - then you have an envelope frequency modulating the pitch.

If the module is triggered faster than the pitch envelope and resonance settle out, then you are not going to hear the pitch fall completely down to the base level set by the Frequency control.

If you listen carefully the impact tone is not changing during the fills (unless I am turning a knob that affects the pitch; decay, depth, frequency, or filters/alters the impact clicks; character, ripple) as it would be the initial impact pitch that you would hear change if the tuning was being affected during faster fill sections, which it is not.
Yes, the impact tone is not changing. It is hard to describe. As if it hits a compressor too fast, while the release is not yet back up again.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

deft_bonz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:31 pm
analogPedagog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:23 pm
deft_bonz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 am Sounds awesome, and very versatile.

Something is bugging me: Is it me, or is the tune or something else changing during the fills? Maybe the limiter kicking in and dropping the subsequent kicks lower?
The tune is not changing. There is a somewhat complex transient generated from the input trigger - then you have an envelope frequency modulating the pitch.

If the module is triggered faster than the pitch envelope and resonance settle out, then you are not going to hear the pitch fall completely down to the base level set by the Frequency control.

If you listen carefully the impact tone is not changing during the fills (unless I am turning a knob that affects the pitch; decay, depth, frequency, or filters/alters the impact clicks; character, ripple) as it would be the initial impact pitch that you would hear change if the tuning was being affected during faster fill sections, which it is not.
Yes, the impact tone is not changing. It is hard to describe. As if it hits a compressor too fast, while the release is not yet back up again.
Yes, the compressor can create a pumping effect for sure. I think also there is a lot of distortion going on in that previous revision, which is also definitely affecting the tone - and even more so when the auto release brings the bass tail energy back up. Having a busy week but excited to show you all the updates soon.
deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz »

analogPedagog wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:40 pm Yes, the compressor can create a pumping effect for sure. I think also there is a lot of distortion going on in that previous revision, which is also definitely affecting the tone - and even more so when the auto release brings the bass tail energy back up. Having a busy week but excited to show you all the updates soon.
Thanks for your patience and explanations. Although I'm not into drum modules for my modular system right now. Who knows the future. If I ever need a kick module, yours will be high on the list for sure.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Re: Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate (new demo)

Post by analogPedagog »

New prototype testing demo.

This one is more focused on tighter kicks with a bit less of a bass tail. Basically just noodling at random but tried to get some softer and more muted kicks as requested. Also aimed to show some of the impulse/click sound design aspects as well.

As for further changes, I am thinking about refining the decay and reducing the longest decay level a bit. This will aid in kick sound design by making the control finer - but will reduce the ability for the control to reach much longer decay times without external CV. Let me know what you all think.

Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

Would it be possible to get longer decay range applied only when CV is applied ?
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

Ushijima wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm Would it be possible to get longer decay range applied only when CV is applied ?
Yes, that is a possibility. There are some nice kick sounds to be had when the decay is longer and the resonance is lower, however.
Will probably compromise with taking the last third or so off the decay range - and that should still refine the control a bit.
Will see how more feel about it as well.
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:44 pm
Ushijima wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 pm Would it be possible to get longer decay range applied only when CV is applied ?
Yes, that is a possibility. There are some nice kick sounds to be had when the decay is longer and the resonance is lower, however.
Will probably compromise with taking the last third or so off the decay range - and that should still refine the control a bit.
Is it possible to have a switch behind to extend length ?
tl3ss
Common Wiggler

Post by tl3ss »

I like this approach. I have a few other modules that open up via Cv like this - you can always use a simple offset to dial in the extra decay via the decay cv input
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

drowld wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:00 pm
Is it possible to have a switch behind to extend length ?
Really would like to avoid that.
tl3ss wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:29 pm
I like this approach. I have a few other modules that open up via Cv like this - you can always use a simple offset to dial in the extra decay via the decay cv input
Yes, you could patch an offset or gate if you really want it to get long. As is, it's near 30s of expo decay at max. think it should be ok to tweak that down a bit and leave it to the rare super long decay occasion to be aided by an offset voltage or CV source.
digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me »

Sounds amazing. When will it be ready?
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK »

Sounds fucking great! What a percussion module!
Most active topic:THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit
(174 Posts / 13.21% of your posts)
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:45 pm
digable-me wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm Sounds amazing. When will it be ready?
Aiming for Jan/Feb
Sick should we preorder somewhere or ask our retailer to ask out
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

drowld wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:18 pm
analogPedagog wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:45 pm
digable-me wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm Sounds amazing. When will it be ready?
Aiming for Jan/Feb
Sick should we preorder somewhere or ask our retailer to ask out
Not taking pre-orders directly. SSF dealers may take pre-orders once production is finalized.
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

sounds incredible man. until recently i looked at dedicated kick modules as an extreme luxury and used samples. no more, there's worlds to explore in this thing.

maybe not the thread to ask, but what are some approaches in electronic music for altering a kick during a track? just curious about how someone might approach that and what techniques can be applied to this bitchin module.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

dooj88 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm sounds incredible man. until recently i looked at dedicated kick modules as an extreme luxury and used samples. no more, there's worlds to explore in this thing.
Yes, that is what I was aiming for with this design. Lots of control that cover a large variety of kick styles that integrate well in a mix.
dooj88 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm maybe not the thread to ask, but what are some approaches in electronic music for altering a kick during a track? just curious about how someone might approach that and what techniques can be applied to this bitchin module.
I can speak for the UK.

Some techniques I use involve sending an envelope that I trigger from a sequencer into CV parameters like resonance, punch, bass drive, distortion, decay and character. Depending on which ones you use, you can vary the impulse transient, bass level and tail as well as various types of accents and general variation on emphasis. You could use LFOs and gates as well, depending on what you would like to achieve. You can get a lot of dynamic kick and bass lines going with just a few parameters under CV control. Will aim to get a video going to show you some of that.
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

analogPedagog wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:40 pm
dooj88 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm sounds incredible man. until recently i looked at dedicated kick modules as an extreme luxury and used samples. no more, there's worlds to explore in this thing.
Yes, that is what I was aiming for with this design. Lots of control that cover a large variety of kick styles that integrate well in a mix.
dooj88 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm maybe not the thread to ask, but what are some approaches in electronic music for altering a kick during a track? just curious about how someone might approach that and what techniques can be applied to this bitchin module.
I can speak for the UK.

Some techniques I use involve sending an envelope that I trigger from a sequencer into CV parameters like resonance, punch, bass drive, distortion, decay and character. Depending on which ones you use, you can vary the impulse transient, bass level and tail as well as various types of accents and general variation on emphasis. You could use LFOs and gates as well, depending on what you would like to achieve. You can get a lot of dynamic kick and bass lines going with just a few parameters under CV control. Will aim to get a video going to show you some of that.
that would be awesome, thanks!
Mr. Aloud
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud »

analogPedagog wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:40 pm Some techniques
This.

From slight variations of single hits within a pattern level to changing sound between, say, verse, bridge and chorus, there is tons of options.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.
Mr. Aloud
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud »

-- double post --
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

Quite cool if the trigger input reacts to gate and trigger range, you can get very creative with such kick drum module, process it thru a nice filter and with parallel processing thru effects, then modulate the decay with some lfo and enveloppes.. I miss my old set-up with BLD and DLFO this was a insane combo, I would definitely pair the UK with some kind of analog modulations
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

Added a new video showing off a simple bassline and some of the achievable distortion and pluck dynamics.
Will add a demo using CV soon.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

Sounding good.
Raymond
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raymond »

Once again it is definitely something I’ll keep an eye on it intensely !
Links to the music -->
https://linktr.ee/soundofraymond

New release - Only one should do it (microhouse/rominimal)
https://open.spotify.com/album/3U1LDW0M ... Si_J3661yQ
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

Here is a demo using CV with the EUK, as promised.

Using some rhythmic envelopes to control the UK and randomly changing up the controls.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

fyeah

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”