Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Post by digable-me »

I can’t wait for this to come out!
Andreso
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Andreso »

V nice
Andreso
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Andreso »

I most certainly believe the pots on the Stereo Dipole are absolutely fine.

For me, I very much appreciate the resistance, and feel they would suit a drum module well.

analogPedagog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:34 am
hypnoz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:24 am That is right, I just don’t like the feel of low resistance pots. Feels cheap and unsatisfying, but can understand alternative perspectives. Any chance I could pay extra for different ones? :)
In the interest in keeping the thread specifically about the Ultra-Kick - why don’t you pm me with a potentiometer you like and I can let you know if it will work with the pcb footprint?
feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin »

This sounds fantastic. When I can hear it clearly on my iphone speaker, that’s a good sign.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

Yes plz.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share progress on the Ultra-Kick.
Made some changes to the punch and distortion circuits to allow for louder and overall improved dynamic range for clean style kicks. They can still get very destructive for those who like gabber and industrial styles. Labeling on the DISTORTION pot will now be GAIN-DIST.
The output feed-forward distortion limiter was adjusted to about 19.5Vpp in order to limit the otherwise high headroom op amps I use. This will keep the output within the clipping headroom of typical op amps like the TL0xx series found in most modules.
TRIM pot is now properly labelled "DYNAMICS" for blending the raw kick with the fully compressed version.
Will be making final tweaks to the controls over the next week or so. Still aiming for a release in very early 2022.
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

i've been eyeing dedicated kick modules for years, but have just settled with samples. this looks like it'll be the winner.

andrew, will you have some of those gorgeous colorful panels like the entity series and the updated ura faceplate?
Raymond
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raymond »

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am Hey everyone. Just wanted to share progress on the Ultra-Kick.
Made some changes to the punch and distortion circuits to allow for louder and overall improved dynamic range for clean style kicks.
THIS.
Sounds great looking forward to it.
Links to the music -->
https://linktr.ee/soundofraymond

New release - Only one should do it (microhouse/rominimal)
https://open.spotify.com/album/3U1LDW0M ... Si_J3661yQ
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes »

Fog Door wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 am
I guess its only rude if your comparison favours the RE module xD If you favour the SSF then leave your comment here! Or not?

I don't know. I didn't mean to be rude anyway I hope my post wasn't taken that way
Sorry TemplarK, the good intentions behind your post were crystal clear, my post was not aimed at you in any way. I just think bringing up comparisons to Portal Drum in a thread the module Designer started to share a first look at his new prototype is out of order. Only my opinion though and everybody is entitled to one.
You know, I am not sure I agree. All the squee over the PD is the... elephant in the room, it would be weird not to.

In any case, if this early look at the proto is in any way indicative of the quality of the final module then the future's bright for it. If it can be manufactured and distributed normally (SSF stuff seems relatively easy to find) then that's even more true.

Of course, I need/want a good kickdrum module now damnit- and inevitably the Jomox Modbase Mk.2 is sold out now that I have actually decided. This lovely-looking module is just mocking me.

I appreciate the straightforward and clear demo- really does show it off well. Some of the more hairy sounds just after the ten minute are quite appealing too- but the demo shows that it can go all sorts of other ways than UNF UNF UNF. Very nice indeed- looks like a well-chosen feature/control set, too.

I'm sure lots of people will be eagerly watching this space.
feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin »

Kattefjaes wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:32 pm
Fog Door wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 am
I guess its only rude if your comparison favours the RE module xD If you favour the SSF then leave your comment here! Or not?

I don't know. I didn't mean to be rude anyway I hope my post wasn't taken that way
Sorry TemplarK, the good intentions behind your post were crystal clear, my post was not aimed at you in any way. I just think bringing up comparisons to Portal Drum in a thread the module Designer started to share a first look at his new prototype is out of order. Only my opinion though and everybody is entitled to one.
You know, I am not sure I agree. All the squee over the PD is the... elephant in the room, it would be weird not to.

In any case, if this early look at the proto is in any way indicative of the quality of the final module then the future's bright for it. If it can be manufactured and distributed normally (SSF stuff seems relatively easy to find) then that's even more true.

Of course, I need/want a good kickdrum module now damnit- and inevitably the Jomox Modbase Mk.2 is sold out now that I have actually decided. This lovely-looking module is just mocking me.

I appreciate the straightforward and clear demo- really does show it off well. Some of the more hairy sounds just after the ten minute are quite appealing too- but the demo shows that it can go all sorts of other ways than UNF UNF UNF. Very nice indeed- looks like a well-chosen feature/control set, too.

I'm sure lots of people will be eagerly watching this space.
Start a new post comparing various kick drum modules and keep this one just about the Ultra-kick! It sounds like apples and oranges to me. A more fair comparison would be Portal Drum and Crater plus a filter and dedicated envelope. I'm getting sounds from the Crater plus a vactrol filter, vca, and envelope that honestly put the PD to shame. No surprise as all that is around $800 compared to PD @ $750. If the Ultra-kick can pump the jams for $349 I'd be very interested and tempted to let some items go! I'm curious if it has click section or is just a super fast decay envelope producing the click sound. My one gripe with Crater is that the sampled part sounds parallel and not in series, which is why running it through a separate vca and filter makes the sound more cohesive. Anyways, now that I've broken my own rule/request let's hop back to Ultra Kick!
WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WarpHead »

Good mention -- I'm wondering about the click/transient architecture on the EUK.
Don't believe the hype.
feelingthin
Common Wiggler

Post by feelingthin »

I took a listen to the demo again. Man this thing slays. I love the tone and it sounds acoustic. Great job!
bago
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bago »

I am also waiting impatiently for this Kick.
I will mostly be shaping minimal undistorted clicky/punchy kicks, so I wonder where the pitch envelope curve setting went (this was switchable for rise/fall and superflexible on the entity bass drum).
Setting the pitch envelope exactly right for me is one of the most important things in a good kicksound.
What is the shape the ultra Kick is using for its pitch envelope?
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

WarpHead wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm Good mention -- I'm wondering about the click/transient architecture on the EUK.
Clicks are created and managed in a number of ways.

The EUK uses a dual vcf core architecture so clicks are initially generated via the input trigger resonating the main core as well as the envelope via the decay and depth controls.

The main core then outputs into the punch circuit, which boosts/squashes the signal and is then fed into the character core.

The main core essentially excites the character core, and produces a secondary element to the impact of the drum, and can be altered with various character control settings.

But going even further, the main core resonant signal can be applied to the FM input of the character core, this function is called RIPPLE (labeling is out of view in the video) at the top right of the module. This offers an additional FM element to the impact transients(which is super cool).

The dynamics of punch, ripple and character - as well as your initial frequency, decay and depth settings, allow you to shape a great variety of initial transient click sounds and even filter out the clicks. The result is very cohesive and offers a ton of useful and desirable impact sounds.
bago wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:40 am Setting the pitch envelope exactly right for me is one of the most important things in a good kicksound.
Yes, the envelope shape is a very important element. Compared to the BDS, the envelope does not have the rise control and there are no switches to alter the curvature. I wanted the envelope to be simplified on the EUK and still offer versatility in conjunction with the other controls, which it does very well. The decay range is much more fine than on the BDS and the shape is tuned between an exponential and linear curvature that I found via experimentation; produces the best results.
tl3ss
Common Wiggler

Post by tl3ss »

analogPedagog wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am
WarpHead wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm Good mention -- I'm wondering about the click/transient architecture on the EUK.
Clicks are created and managed in a number of ways.

The EUK uses a dual vcf core architecture so clicks are initially generated via the input trigger resonating the main core as well as the envelope via the decay and depth controls.

The main core then outputs into the punch circuit, which boosts/squashes the signal and is then fed into the character core.

The main core essentially excites the character core, and produces a secondary element to the impact of the drum, and can be altered with various character control settings.

But going even further, the main core resonant signal can be applied to the FM input of the character core, this function is called RIPPLE (labeling is out of view in the video) at the top right of the module. This offers an additional FM element to the impact transients(which is super cool).

The dynamics of punch, ripple and character - as well as your initial frequency, decay and depth settings, allow you to shape a great variety of initial transient click sounds and even filter out the clicks. The result is very cohesive and offers a ton of useful and desirable impact sounds.
bago wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:40 am Setting the pitch envelope exactly right for me is one of the most important things in a good kicksound.
Yes, the envelope shape is a very important element. Compared to the BDS, the envelope does not have the rise control and there are no switches to alter the curvature. I wanted the envelope to be simplified on the EUK and still offer versatility in conjunction with the other controls, which it does very well. The decay range is much more fine than on the BDS and the shape is tuned between an exponential and linear curvature that I found via experimentation; produces the best results.
I think something like this would be fantastic to include in the design notes of the manual similar to the manuals for modules you’ve recently put out. That was really enjoyable to read.
valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx »

Yeah! Can't wait to see more demos of it, it sounds awesome! The 1st version was already an ace !
Andreso
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Andreso »

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am Hey everyone. Just wanted to share progress on the Ultra-Kick.
Made some changes to the punch and distortion circuits to allow for louder and overall improved dynamic range for clean style kicks. They can still get very destructive for those who like gabber and industrial styles. Labeling on the DISTORTION pot will now be GAIN-DIST.
The output feed-forward distortion limiter was adjusted to about 19.5Vpp in order to limit the otherwise high headroom op amps I use. This will keep the output within the clipping headroom of typical op amps like the TL0xx series found in most modules.
TRIM pot is now properly labelled "DYNAMICS" for blending the raw kick with the fully compressed version.
Will be making final tweaks to the controls over the next week or so. Still aiming for a release in very early 2022.

This is good news, as the kick module I currently have has a powerful distorted kick, but the cleaner kicks lack presence and punch.
radioshaolin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by radioshaolin »

Hope it kicks asap )
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

Doesn’t it make sense to have control over the attack at least in some way to make softer kicks ?
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

drowld wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:13 am Doesn’t it make sense to have control over the attack at least in some way to make softer kicks ?
It would make it hp hungry I believe, and you can still use a VCA with ADSR after the Ultra-Kick to soften the attack
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

drowld wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:13 am Doesn’t it make sense to have control over the attack at least in some way to make softer kicks ?
The controls for Character, Punch and Depth all have an impact on the softness of the kicks. Other functions like Ripple and the dynamics control also impact the transient. My goal was to eliminate the need for an attack and body control while adding the new features that could also cover those functional territories.

I plan on doing another video to show the progress. Latest change is to the resonance control. There was a bit of a dead zone in the first half of the control so I changed the pot taper and range a bit, which also added some extra resonance at the top end.
deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz »

Sounds awesome, and very versatile.

Something is bugging me: Is it me, or is the tune or something else changing during the fills? Maybe the limiter kicking in and dropping the subsequent kicks lower?
Mr. Aloud
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud »

From the video it seems like you can easily create those slight changes that keep a loop interesting. Much like CV dialed down thru attenuation. I like that. If one goes for a dedicated BD module, I personally don´t see much need for it to cover too many other things, especially not if the price is very small rotational sweet spots on the pots.

Currently running modbase mk2 and crater, for the BD is the central part in my style of music. This thing is booked, let´s see if one of the other two needs to go once it arrived.

No DIY options I assume?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

Mr. Aloud wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:09 pm No DIY options I assume?
No plans for now, at least.
deft_bonz wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:10 am Sounds awesome, and very versatile.

Something is bugging me: Is it me, or is the tune or something else changing during the fills? Maybe the limiter kicking in and dropping the subsequent kicks lower?
The tune is not changing. There is a somewhat complex transient generated from the input trigger - then you have an envelope frequency modulating the pitch.

If the module is triggered faster than the pitch envelope and resonance settle out, then you are not going to hear the pitch fall completely down to the base level set by the Frequency control.

If you listen carefully the impact tone is not changing during the fills (unless I am turning a knob that affects the pitch; decay, depth, frequency, or filters/alters the impact clicks; character, ripple) as it would be the initial impact pitch that you would hear change if the tuning was being affected during faster fill sections, which it is not.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”