Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Entity Ultra-Kick by Steady State Fate

Post by tebs213 »

Really impressed with how well thought out this is. Very capable of that low boom or knock and higher punch simultaneously that’s needed to cut through a mix in most genres these days. As good as it sounds on its own, it clearly considered to work particularly well in a mix with other elements. Nice work Andrew! You know I’ll be keeping my Entities but this will certainly be a must buy for me for production.
Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L »

Sounds great -- for what it's worth, these are the types of demos I like seeing. A good ten minutes of wiggling knobs!
digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me »

This vs. Portal Drum… ?
EsquireKnight
Common Wiggler

Post by EsquireKnight »

digable-me wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:31 am This vs. Portal Drum… ?
Different price segments so comparison wouldn’t be fair. ;) $795 for PD versus $349. Unless you want to compare 2 of these in conjunction vs 1 PD.
la cuadrícula de los sintetizadores modulares https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1338958
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK »

Matt_L wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:06 am Sounds great -- for what it's worth, these are the types of demos I like seeing. A good ten minutes of wiggling knobs!
Exactly what I was thinking last night! This is how a demo should be!
Most active topic:THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit
(174 Posts / 13.21% of your posts)
Raymond
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raymond »

EsquireKnight wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:50 am
Different price segments so comparison wouldn’t be fair. ;) $795 for PD versus $349. Unless you want to compare 2 of these in conjunction vs 1 PD.
True but also from what has been showed in the few videos, they have very different sounds as well. And not exactly the same objective.
Links to the music -->
https://linktr.ee/soundofraymond

New release - Only one should do it (microhouse/rominimal)
https://open.spotify.com/album/3U1LDW0M ... Si_J3661yQ
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

EsquireKnight wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:50 am
On the contrary, they’re both full-featured drum voices, they should absolutely be compared.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK »

Stice wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:06 pm
On the contrary, they’re both full-featured drum voices, they should absolutely be compared.
I'll start. From the demos i much prefer the SSF. Theres a lot of the kicks i'm not super gelling with, but for some moments, mostly when the distortion is dialled back, they are superb and EXACTLY what i'm chasing in a kick drum I would buy this module in heartbeat.

The PD though, well, i hear some nice sounds, but none that totally blow me away. Now i just can't tell if its because the demos are lacklustre and don't show the full range of the module, the sonicstate demo was totally rubbish and the soundcloud ones are, well, ok, but I was personally expecting a lot more.

To be real, I was expecting the PD to sound more like the SSF, Ultra seems to have more weight, punch and boom.

Also, i'm not a fan of pre-orders, ok there will be some for retail sale, but, no way i'm putting money down when i can just buy the SSF and use it then sell it if some new demos come to light that i really think are worth the entry cost of £585 which is expensive for a kick, at least BLD gave you a superb bass voice, filter and all that good modulations plus 2 external envelopes etc.

At this point, i'd by SSF over RE anyway. I await a similar demo from RE with someone just sat dialling in sounds on the fly, but, after waiting for fucking long for a decent demo, i'm not going to hold my breath.

SSF doing so much right! After Tryptych i realise he's one of the best designers in euro, so many ridiculously awesome modules, the panels now look much better too, where as RE have one module that sounds good, SSF knows the market, the musician, the consumer, the sound design, the electronics and functionality, yeah i'm becoming a SSF fanboy!
Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door »

they should absolutely be compared
Although comparing them in the thread the designer of EUK started to preview his prototype is a bit much isn't it? At best it's bad form, at worst it's plain rude. Surely those that wish to pursue such a worthy topic as the speculative comparison of EUK and Portal Drum believe it deserves its very own thread :hmm:
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK »

Fog Door wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm
Although comparing them in the thread the designer of EUK started to preview his prototype is a bit much isn't it? At best it's bad form, at worst it's plain rude. Surely those that wish to pursue such a worthy topic as the speculative comparison of EUK and Portal Drum believe it deserves its very own thread :hmm:
I guess its only rude if your comparison favours the RE module xD If you favour the SSF then leave your comment here! Or not?

I don't know. I didn't mean to be rude anyway I hope my post wasn't taken that way. If SSF wants me to delete it i surely will. I don't think it was coincidence that SSF posted his prototype video when a lot of chatter was going on about another kick drum module, if it was coincidence then I'm also sure he's adult enough to realise that people will weigh up which one is best for them be it here or somewhere else, at least if its here, SSF can see some feedback and possibly change a thing or two before the final production?

It is after all a forum for discussion and not a company sales page. Still I didn't mean to be rude. Apologies if it was an unintended blot on my character.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

I think it’s natural for people to want to make comparisons. I also get how it can seem rude to come into a thread started by a manufacturer and talk about competing products. But I’m also not sure if starting up a another x vs y thread is the way to go either.

I’m pretty sure I’m ordering this as soon as it’s available though. I had the original Entity and am still regretting trading it for something else.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

And I was just considering whether I needed an analog drum synth to complement my BIA…Sounds lovely.
Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door »

I guess its only rude if your comparison favours the RE module xD If you favour the SSF then leave your comment here! Or not?

I don't know. I didn't mean to be rude anyway I hope my post wasn't taken that way
Sorry TemplarK, the good intentions behind your post were crystal clear, my post was not aimed at you in any way. I just think bringing up comparisons to Portal Drum in a thread the module Designer started to share a first look at his new prototype is out of order. Only my opinion though and everybody is entitled to one.
digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me »

I think this sounds fantastic. I didn't bring up Portal Drum to stir things up. I'll almost certainly be getting this when it comes out. I've been in Euro for 10 years and I think this and the PD are the best sounding kick drums I've heard.
oldenjon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oldenjon »

TemplarK wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:52 pm I guess its only rude if your comparison favours the RE module xD If you favour the SSF then leave your comment here! Or not?

I don't know. I didn't mean to be rude anyway I hope my post wasn't taken that way. If SSF wants me to delete it i surely will. I don't think it was coincidence that SSF posted his prototype video when a lot of chatter was going on about another kick drum module, if it was coincidence then I'm also sure he's adult enough to realise that people will weigh up which one is best for them be it here or somewhere else, at least if its here, SSF can see some feedback and possibly change a thing or two before the final production?

It is after all a forum for discussion and not a company sales page. Still I didn't mean to be rude. Apologies if it was an unintended blot on my character.
Well, I don't share the fanboy perspective but I will say that the timing of this announcement is very fortuitous. I was thinking about Portal Drum before the price was announced, but this thing sounds like it does enough of what I want at a much better price so may become the first SSF module in my rack.
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Will this module have pots with some resistance? My only complaint when I owned the dipole were the pots
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

hypnoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:55 pm Will this module have pots with some resistance? My only complaint when I owned the dipole were the pots
They are the same pots I have always used BI/TT Electronics 9mm. They have less resistance than the basic carbon type alpha pots and more than the pcb mount bourns type pots.
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld »

analogPedagog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm
hypnoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:55 pm Will this module have pots with some resistance? My only complaint when I owned the dipole were the pots
They are the same pots I have always used BI/TT Electronics 9mm. They have less resistance than the basic carbon type alpha pots and more than the pcb mount bourns type pots.
What do you think is the advantage of low resistance pots ? Resistance make me feels like the module is generally more stury giving a sense of quality even if it's not true. And also for wiggling idk what's the advantage. Pots with resistance are give more sweetspots which is nice and even more so live to not go overboard.
But that's my 2 cents curious to hear why you prefer them
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

drowld wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:59 pm
analogPedagog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm
What do you think is the advantage of low resistance pots ? Resistance make me feels like the module is generally more stury giving a sense of quality even if it's not true. And also for wiggling idk what's the advantage. Pots with resistance are give more sweetspots which is nice and even more so live to not go overboard.
But that's my 2 cents curious to hear why you prefer them
I do not personally feel there is any advantage to low turn resistance pots. I have always liked the ones I use - they have a long rotational life and use conductive plastic. They also have a great form factor at 9mm. My take on the turning resistance is that they are well balanced and do not turn so easily by accident. I have noticed that some of them have more or less resistance over the years of using them but I never really had any issues overall when in use.

I think hypnoz was looking for more resistance, not less.
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

That is right, I just don’t like the feel of low resistance pots. Feels cheap and unsatisfying, but can understand alternative perspectives. Any chance I could pay extra for different ones? :)
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

hypnoz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:24 am That is right, I just don’t like the feel of low resistance pots. Feels cheap and unsatisfying, but can understand alternative perspectives. Any chance I could pay extra for different ones? :)
In the interest in keeping the thread specifically about the Ultra-Kick - why don’t you pm me with a potentiometer you like and I can let you know if it will work with the pcb footprint?
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Will do! I think this module sounds great and frees up ~a filter, 2 EGs, an oscillator, and distortion effect for 14hp. Definitely makes sense for those that regularly use kicks in their music.

Question on the punch parameter, what exactly is that doing?
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

hypnoz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:13 pm Will do! I think this module sounds great and frees up ~a filter, 2 EGs, an oscillator, and distortion effect for 14hp. Definitely makes sense for those that regularly use kicks in their music.

Question on the punch parameter, what exactly is that doing?
Punch is a diode based pre-distortion circuit. It is sandwiched between the resonator cores, i.e. Main core >>> Punch >>> Character core.

A little bit adds some gain up to about 9 O'clock where is begins to crush/compress the signal. There is interplay between the bass drive and output distortion that adds a lot of sculpting possibilities. This feature works really well for changing the impact transient characteristics and variations you can achieve through the internal FM (RIPPLE) and Character controls.
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves »

Fog Door wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm

This...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Wow sounds really interesting!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”