Buchla 200 in Euro format (Tiptop)

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Re: Buchla 200 in Euro format (Tiptop)

Post by Logarhythm »

I had a similar problem with my (used) 281t's first AD. I was getting weird trig or retrig behavior, and traced it to the 1st Trig pushbutton. It pushes down and comes up, but is often stuck "on" without looking like it is down physically. I realized this after puzzling over inconsistent behavior before noticing with a multimeter that the Trig1 input was getting stuck high. As a workaround I can pinch the cap and pull the button back to off (just shy of the cap coming off.) I haven't gotten around to ordering replacement switches, but I'm probably going to swap them all out for new ones, because they all feel a bit 'grindy.' The unit came to me in excellent used shape so IDK if it was a bad batch of switches maybe.

Oddly, my (new) 245t seems to use the same part for the start/stop buttons and they're silky smooth in comparison. IDK if a few hundred presses wears these things down or what.
WesCREAM
Common Wiggler

Post by WesCREAM »

I have the 245t now for about a week and really enjoying playing around with it, discovering some techniques etc.
Been browsing through this thread but didn't find much tutorials or tips/tricks, watching some old buchla home videos really helps but if anybody has some more pointers where to find some always welcome..

Def makes me want to dive into other buchla/verbos modules at some point!
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

Spanningtree wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Funky40 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:59 am need help please with the 281t:
It sounds like your working with function generators A and B, A would be the top one and B would be underneath it. Have you taken a look at the quadrature switch for A and B, to the bottom right of the module. Set that to "off" or down, otherwise A will interact with B.
i will check ! much thanks !
yup, A and B
Spanningtree wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:59 pm .......otherwise A will interact with B.
what i have is more like "knocking out". A knocks out B.
B is nolonger useable.
But: i will check now thoroughly.........
Logarhythm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:36 pm I had a similar problem with my (used) 281t's first AD. I was getting weird trig or retrig behavior, and traced it to the 1st Trig pushbutton. It pushes down and comes up, but is often stuck "on" without looking like it is down physically. I realized this after puzzling over inconsistent behavior before noticing with a multimeter that the Trig1 input was getting stuck high.
I thank you too.
its a strange situation,......i allready contacted my Vendor, which makes the whole thing, well: strange ! haha :bang:
For sale:
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

WesCREAM wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:14 pm I have the 245t now for about a week and really enjoying playing around with it, discovering some techniques etc.
Been browsing through this thread but didn't find much tutorials or tips/tricks, watching some old buchla home videos really helps but if anybody has some more pointers where to find some always welcome..

Def makes me want to dive into other buchla/verbos modules at some point!
Here's an easy one: use the pulser out to analog input. It addresses the sequencer backward (because the high voltage selects step 5 and it falls down to 0). Now you can use the stage outs to sub-divide the 5 step sequence further.
Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm »

Another fun 245t patch is to get the clock from the pulser and feed one of the channels to the pulser's internal time input, varying duration per step. If you multiply the pulser rate (e.g. via controlling looping on a fast 281t channel) and use that as an envelope on audio, you can get multiple notes played per step.
gnsk
Common Wiggler

Post by gnsk »

Here also trig button kaputt, in my case Channel 2 in 281t. The stop button in 245t was also defect, but after some time it works now. I'll order some push switches for future wearing.

Momentary white push switches (281/245): TL2230OAF140
Paul_N
Common Wiggler

Post by Paul_N »

Todd just posted a new video - of note, 266T and 292T are in the case.

dave999z
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dave999z »

Damn, hope somehow the 266t gets delivered by Xmas.
gnsk
Common Wiggler

Post by gnsk »

281t switch repairing without replacing or soldering.

Pull out the knob; just pull out.
Removing Jack nut; push and turn in CCW.

Disassembled the switch.
Contacts in moving part and switch case cleaned with IPA.
Contacts in moving part a little pushed to outside.
Spring pulled out to reinforce against pushing.
Until now works well. Maybe could be kaputt again in someday.
Attachments
2022-11-04-143620_1366x768_scrot.png
voidshell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by voidshell »

dave999z wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:09 pm Damn, hope somehow the 266t gets delivered by Xmas.
The Tiptop site still shows Nov for the 266 so fingers crossed!
-- Damion / Boredbrain Music
bhmcc
Common Wiggler

Post by bhmcc »

voidshell wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:07 am
dave999z wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:09 pm Damn, hope somehow the 266t gets delivered by Xmas.
The Tiptop site still shows Nov for the 266 so fingers crossed!
:tu:
tele_player
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tele_player »

I have a 245t - and a question:

On the bottom row (stage select inputs), the first three are labeled 'pulse', but not the 4th and 5th. What's different here?
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg »

tele_player wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 pm I have a 245t - and a question:

On the bottom row (stage select inputs), the first three are labeled 'pulse', but not the 4th and 5th. What's different here?
There’s no difference. That’s how the labeling is on the 4U version as well (and the 246, just fyi). All 5 inputs function the same.
Logarhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by Logarhythm »

gnsk wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:33 am 281t switch repairing without replacing or soldering.

Pull out the knob; just pull out.
Removing Jack nut; push and turn in CCW.

Disassembled the switch.
Contacts in moving part and switch case cleaned with IPA.
Contacts in moving part a little pushed to outside.
Spring pulled out to reinforce against pushing.
Until now works well. Maybe could be kaputt again in someday.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give this a go before desoldering anything. I wonder if there's a more reliable part with the same footprint out there-- maybe it'd have to be a clicky switch.
noises
Common Wiggler

Post by noises »

I was also wondering about having a clicky button instead of the mushy ones.
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

Spanningtree wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:11 am Image
hi Spanningtree, i've also pimped my silver Toppo Multimix with Alpha Rogans, and am also looking to cover the mute switches. partly for the looks, but also to make them slightly easier to switch. (the proximity of the mute switches to the full patched input jacks is one thing i don't like, in this otherwise great design)

can you share which one did you use (the yellow ones on the image above) ?

i first went looking at thonk, both the mini and sub-mini version, but they seem like too big with stated lenght of 10.4 and 9.4mm, respectively. the Toppo mute looks more like 5 or 6mm to me, unless i am missing something..

thanks

Explorer 5117 · Space Case 2022 · System 100 · SH101 · Sem · Mini · PPG Wave2 · OB-Xa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: CMS 1047 · WMD Gamma Wave · CCCP Kotelnikov · Bionic Lester mk1
Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

Post by Spanningtree »

clusterchord wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:13 pm hi Spanningtree,
Hey there clusterchord, those are from Thonk and can be found at this link: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/switchcaps-sub-mini/

Pimping is one of those processes that never seems to be done but are fun anyway... ;)
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

Spanningtree wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:42 pm
clusterchord wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:13 pm hi Spanningtree,
Hey there clusterchord, those are from Thonk and can be found at this link: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/switchcaps-sub-mini/
oh that's great, and simplifies things a lot - i'm in the middle of building another order from Thonk, for further knobbyfying eurorack, and my andromeda, so i will just add this.
Pimping is one of those processes that never seem to be done but are fun anyway... ;)
yes indeed, but i just love it.

and your system is bonafide eye candy. cheers :tu:
Last edited by clusterchord on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Explorer 5117 · Space Case 2022 · System 100 · SH101 · Sem · Mini · PPG Wave2 · OB-Xa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: CMS 1047 · WMD Gamma Wave · CCCP Kotelnikov · Bionic Lester mk1
Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

Post by Spanningtree »

clusterchord wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:05 pm

and your system is bonafide eye candy. cheers :tu:
Thanks! 8-)
hlf
1-Post Wiggler

Post by hlf »

245t question:
Just curious if any of you know some method which I haven't think of.
What i want to achieve is to filter out triggers (which are passed to 'advance') when voltage output at particular step is 0V (fully counter clockwise) so my envelope won't be triggered..
I tried to pass triggers through VCA while opening the VCA with step voltage source - didn't work as expected - very unstable behaviour
Trigger out from quantizer is not solution either since I would need at least two 0V steps and only second one does not produce trigger.
Maybe logic module would be useful for this, but still trying to figure out if there is some other way to do it with basic modules.
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

A VCA can be used as a simple AND logic module.

Send the pulser output to a VCA.

Send the line output to the CV input.

Every time it's zero volts the pulse will be muted.
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg »

hlf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:49 am 245t question:
What i want to achieve is to filter out triggers (which are passed to 'advance') when voltage output at particular step is 0V (fully counter clockwise) so my envelope won't be triggered..
I tried to pass triggers through VCA while opening the VCA with step voltage source - didn't work as expected - very unstable behaviour
Trigger out from quantizer is not solution either since I would need at least two 0V steps and only second one does not produce trigger.
Maybe logic module would be useful for this, but still trying to figure out if there is some other way to do it with basic modules.
If the 245t is like the 4U version, then the individual stage pulse outs should be diode isolated; which means you can stack them on an input. Just patch the pulse outputs to your eg trigger input for the stages you want to trigger your envelope and leave the stages you don’t want triggering your envelope unpatched.

Alternatively, if you have the 257t, you can use the CV output of the 245t to control the crossfader only allowing triggers through when the CV is fully CW.
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

mritenburg wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:00 pm
hlf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:49 am 245t question:
If the 245t is like the 4U version, then the individual stage pulse outs should be diode isolated; which means you can stack them on an input. Just patch the pulse outputs to your eg trigger input for the stages you want to trigger your envelope and leave the stages you don’t want triggering your envelope unpatched.

Alternatively, if you have the 257t, you can use the CV output of the 245t to control the crossfader only allowing triggers through when the CV is fully CW.
There has been discussion in this thread about this stacking of triggers at inputs.

I think Todd Barton mentioned he loves doing this. A technical advisor from buchla and associates recommended not to. I guess with only one 245 you could never really overload it due to only having 5 stages. Some risks to think about.
erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub »

The output stacking runs the outputs together so if you're patched into 1,2 and 5, for example you just get one long gate that's high for those 3 steps and then 3 and 4 are low.

It doesn't seem as useful as the OG 245.

More than one step can never be active at once anyway so the voltage is only ever going to be that of a single stage right?
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg »

erstlaub wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:41 pm The output stacking runs the outputs together so if you're patched into 1,2 and 5, for example you just get one long gate that's high for those 3 steps and then 3 and 4 are low.
oh, so the 245t doesn't use two-stage pulses. Yeah, that will mess up stacking unless you only use two non-adjacent stages, or have a voltage processor that can reduce pulse-width.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”