Boredbrain OPTX

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Naenyn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am

DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am
DMR wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am
Oh I figured the ES-8/3/9 all do this no?
They basically do, though none of them are 8-in, 8-out ADAT only. The ES-3 is 8 ADAT outputs (add an ES-6 for 6 ADAT inputs
An ES-3 paired with an ES-6 and ES7 will do 8-in and 8-out. That's 3 modules and 16 HP of space though.
So is there any reason this would be superior to the ES combo other than saving some hp?
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

User avatar
andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by andybizarre » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:13 am

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
So is there any reason this would be superior to the ES combo other than saving some hp?
Well, IF the OPTX is calibrated to center 0V and 1V/Oct as stated earlier in this thread, this would be a huge advantage. There would be no need to use offsets and quantizers before entering / after leaving the DAW when used as pitch CV.

I have heavily invested in ES expanders, so I won`t sell my ES modules anyway.

User avatar
x2mirko
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm
Location: Aachen, Germany

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by x2mirko » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:27 am

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am
DMR wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am
Oh I figured the ES-8/3/9 all do this no?
They basically do, though none of them are 8-in, 8-out ADAT only. The ES-3 is 8 ADAT outputs (add an ES-6 for 6 ADAT inputs
An ES-3 paired with an ES-6 and ES7 will do 8-in and 8-out. That's 3 modules and 16 HP of space though.
So is there any reason this would be superior to the ES combo other than saving some hp?
The only reason I can think of is that ES-jacks are absolutely terrible and replacing them is a pain in the ass. I don't say this lightly. I've had 3 ES-3s (1x mk2, 1x mk3, 1x mk4, all with the same problems), 2 ES-6s, an ES-5 and multiple ESX-8CV expanders in my system. I loved the idea and didn't even mind the offset and calibration and all that - you can solve that once in software and it's fine. But so many of them developed problems with the jacks after a while (crackling, losing contact, etc.) that it stopped me from actually wanting to use them. Got rid of all of them at some point (I gave away the worst offenders for free because I felt bad about selling them in that condition) and now I'm happy to buy a module that uses normal jacks that can easily be replaced if there is an issue.

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by drowld » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 am

x2mirko wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:27 am
The only reason I can think of is that ES-jacks are absolutely terrible and replacing them is a pain in the ass. I don't say this lightly. I've had 3 ES-3s (1x mk2, 1x mk3, 1x mk4, all with the same problems), 2 ES-6s, an ES-5 and multiple ESX-8CV expanders in my system. I loved the idea and didn't even mind the offset and calibration and all that - you can solve that once in software and it's fine. But so many of them developed problems with the jacks after a while (crackling, losing contact, etc.) that it stopped me from actually wanting to use them. Got rid of all of them at some point (I gave away the worst offenders for free because I felt bad about selling them in that condition) and now I'm happy to buy a module that uses normal jacks that can easily be replaced if there is an issue.
I hate the Es jacks. I wished so much for another adat interface in euro that i've started learning how to make one. Boredbrain saved us :love:
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am

Noobish questions here, could I use this module, connected to an audio interface with adat in, and be able to get cv in to my computer? If so, does anyone have recommendations for a cheap interface with adat in?
Last edited by Boofin Moonrocks on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
soundshaper
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by soundshaper » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am

nsolarz wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:57 pm
is there any special sauce with your optical cables vs others on the market?
Three things: they are more flexible than most and easier to handle, designed to our aesthetics, and less expensive than most including generics. They are sold in pairs.
Stice wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:47 pm
What is the latency with Optx?
It's about half a millisecond at 48 kHz in either direction, give or take. I'll have to do some more accurate measurements. It's completely unnoticeable and of course latency is primarily dictated by your primary audio interface and buffer size for cpu processing.
ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 pm
Can you share any information about which ADCs and DACs are in OPTX?
DAC is TI PCM1690
https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1690

ADC is 4x TI PCM1808
https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1808

User avatar
soundshaper
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by soundshaper » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am

Boofin Moonrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am
Noobish questions here, could I use this module, connected to an audio interface with addat in, and be able to get cv in to my computer? If so, does anyone have recommendations for a cheap interface with addat in?
Absolutely you can, that's one of the primary uses of this module. The cheapest interfaces with any ADAT connectivity that are currently available are Audient iD14 and Behringer U-phoria UMC-1820. The former has ADAT input only, but OPTX can generate sample clock and thus the USB interface can sync to it. However, then the 8 input channels of OPTX would be unused.

User avatar
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 am

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 am
DJMaytag wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am
An ES-3 paired with an ES-6 and ES7 will do 8-in and 8-out. That's 3 modules and 16 HP of space though.
So is there any reason this would be superior to the ES combo other than saving some hp?
Connectivity to the ES-5, ESX-8GT, ESX-8CV, and ESX-8MD expanders. I have the ES-5 plus two each of the three ESX expanders, for a massive amount of outputs available to me from Reason.

If you're only wanting I/O, the Bored Brain module should be fine for you, and maybe even better if the DAC/ADC's are better than what's in the Expert Sleepers stuff.
DJMaytag IG | DJMaytag Reverb | Madisynths IG | Madisynths Reverb |

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Boofin Moonrocks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Boofin Moonrocks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 am

soundshaper wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am
Boofin Moonrocks wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am
Noobish questions here, could I use this module, connected to an audio interface with addat in, and be able to get cv in to my computer? If so, does anyone have recommendations for a cheap interface with addat in?
Absolutely you can, that's one of the primary uses of this module. The cheapest interfaces with any ADAT connectivity that are currently available are Audient iD14 and Behringer U-phoria UMC-1820. The former has ADAT input only, but OPTX can generate sample clock and thus the USB interface can sync to it. However, then the 8 input channels of OPTX would be unused.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like this is also shallow enough to fit into my intellijel pallette as well! This should open up a whole new world for me!

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5796
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by starthief » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:31 am

For me the Optx wins over an ES-3 and ES-6 combo because:
- 8HP vs 12HP
- 8 ins vs 6 ins
- Optx power consumption is less
- no DC offsets on the inputs
- the lightpipe socket placement on the ES-3 and ES-6 are opposite each other :doh:

ES-3/ES-6 don't have internal clock as an option, which limits the flexibility of what they can connect to. Not an issue in my case since I'm definitely connecting it to an interface, but another point in Optx's favor.

moo_lefty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by moo_lefty » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:20 am

jpizzo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 pm
Oh interesting, is the es-8 the master interface in your setup? i.e. the es-8 is connected to your computer via usb, and then to motu through adat (and motu is not connected to computer directly)? I had only ever thought to do it in the other direction, where the motu is the master.
Yep that's correct, es-8 is the master interface in my setup. The 2408s are great and go for very cheap used on eBay from time to time - connecting it standalone to the es-8 removes the need for a FireWire card & connection.

I'd consider doing away with the es-8 for an optx, but I use it with an es-5, esx-8md and silent way for all my midi output needs, which it really excels at.

I'll also put this here in case anyone is interested: this + optx would give you your own euro only usb interface :miley:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box

jpizzo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by jpizzo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am

moo_lefty wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:20 am
jpizzo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 pm
Oh interesting, is the es-8 the master interface in your setup? i.e. the es-8 is connected to your computer via usb, and then to motu through adat (and motu is not connected to computer directly)? I had only ever thought to do it in the other direction, where the motu is the master.
Yep that's correct, es-8 is the master interface in my setup. The 2408s are great and go for very cheap used on eBay from time to time - connecting it standalone to the es-8 removes the need for a FireWire card & connection.

I'd consider doing away with the es-8 for an optx, but I use it with an es-5, esx-8md and silent way for all my midi output needs, which it really excels at.

I'll also put this here in case anyone is interested: this + optx would give you your own euro only usb interface :miley:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box
Thats awesome! Great point about avoiding firewire in that way.

Might scoop an optx then to replace my es-6/es-7 expanders. Kind of ideal, because the es6/7 has to be connected to the es 8 in the back (in addition to the optical cable) meaning they must be in the same case together. Whereas optx would give more i/o and could be in one of my other cases connected with just the optical cables.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:19 pm

folpon wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm
This is so stupid, but I've been hovering over buying the Cranborn 500ADAT 500 series chassis just to add 8 more ins to my interface but I can never make myself spend 1500$ on it. This boredbrain thing might just be cheap enough that I'll end up just buying it and not worrying about it.
I've been giving the 500ADAT some series thought of late, too. Not sure how different the conversion is on the Boredbrain - plus you lose the option to add 500 modules, etc.

User avatar
Telefone_529
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Telefone_529 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Damn, today is a day full of discovery! First I learn about these a few days ago, I saw the RME video today, and I learned my recordings from my h5 all have a ton of noise despite not being too quite or loud, right around -8 to -6db, maybe that is too low, idk, more testing needed.

Or I could just get this and the rme and record 8 separate tracks at the same time. I feel like that's the better (and more expensive) decision.

I got into modular knowing full well how expensive it was. I wasn't counting on the price of the peripheral items however. I guess saving for it gives me more time to research my options at least! And maybe I can hunt that noise source down.

This does feel like a really easy solution though!

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5796
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by starthief » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Just got my Optx, and can confirm it works exactly like it's supposed to, with no DC offset on any of the inputs. :tu:

It's a pretty classy package -- the front panel is black, the PCBs are black, even the power cable is black with a dark grey stripe. If the LEDs on the front were black too, it would be suitable for Hotblack Desiato's stunt ship from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe :mrgreen:

User avatar
xcc
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 am
Location: TX

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by xcc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:12 pm

starthief wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 pm
Just got my Optx, and can confirm it works exactly like it's supposed to, with no DC offset on any of the inputs. :tu:

It's a pretty classy package -- the front panel is black, the PCBs are black, even the power cable is black with a dark grey stripe. If the LEDs on the front were black too, it would be suitable for Hotblack Desiato's stunt ship from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe :mrgreen:
10 points for the Hitchhiker’s reference. I always pictured Hotblack as Black Francis from the Pixies.

User avatar
WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:15 am
Location: Europe

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by WarpHead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:29 pm

starthief wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 pm
Just got my Optx, and can confirm it works exactly like it's supposed to, with no DC offset on any of the inputs. :tu:

It's a pretty classy package -- the front panel is black, the PCBs are black, even the power cable is black with a dark grey stripe. If the LEDs on the front were black too, it would be suitable for Hotblack Desiato's stunt ship from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe :mrgreen:
Would very much appreciate a more extensive experience report once you've used it a bit for recording. Quite interested in your opinion on the quality of the converters and recordings in particular. Seriously considering adding it to the rack.
Don't believe the hype.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5796
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by starthief » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:24 pm

WarpHead wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:29 pm
Would very much appreciate a more extensive experience report once you've used it a bit for recording. Quite interested in your opinion on the quality of the converters and recordings in particular. Seriously considering adding it to the rack.
Honestly I am not one to nitpick converters, as long as the specs are decent, it works and maintains clock sync competetently (which it does).

If these tests mean anything: If I mult audio to the Optx and an analog input on my Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, add a 0.268ms delay to the latter in my DAW and invert the phase, I can come very close to nulling the signals. Probably the delay time just needs finer adjustment than I'm willing to mess with.

Alternately, I can route those signals left/right (with the same delay), and see 100% identical spectrum analysis in CraveEQ's display and perfect phase correlation in Voxengo Correlometer.

The main thing that test tells me is the analog cabling running from my modular to the Scarlett isn't picking up stray noise :hihi: Also I found a cool patch with Odessa in the process...

User avatar
Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Naenyn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 am

I took the plunge and ordered an Optx. The extra space, combined with removing another module I'm not using much, works out perfectly for some new additions I want to make... So, hopefully Optx ends up being as awesome as it seems. If Boredbrain's modules are as quality as their patch cables, I'll have no worries. :party:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Byzero
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Byzero » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:25 am

Any word on audio quality vs ES ADAT modules?
Latest music:


User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5796
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by starthief » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 am

Byzero wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:25 am
Any word on audio quality vs ES ADAT modules?
Equally good, possibly better. More headroom due to no DC offset.

moo_lefty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by moo_lefty » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 am

Sorry for the possibly dense question - how can a dc coupled audio interface not create dc offset?

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5796
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by starthief » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:59 am

moo_lefty wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 am
Sorry for the possibly dense question - how can a dc coupled audio interface not create dc offset?
It doesn't add any offset of its own when there is 0V (or perfectly symmetric audio with no offset) at the input.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:51 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by ima_jrk » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 am

One suggestion for future runs - perhaps print both sides of the faceplate so that you have the option to swap the plate around to mount the module with the ADAT ports at the top but still have the labels in the proper orientation.

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by drowld » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 am
One suggestion for future runs - perhaps print both sides of the faceplate so that you have the option to swap the plate around to mount the module with the ADAT ports at the top but still have the labels in the proper orientation.
Good idea !!
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”