Boredbrain OPTX

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by drowld » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 am

Sadly no one really sells it in europe out of UK. Or maybe i'm missing something.
I hope i can get one in the next batch
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:17 am

drowld wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 am
Sadly no one really sells it in europe out of UK. Or maybe i'm missing something.
I hope i can get one in the next batch
We're producing as many as we can daily and will ship the second batch at the end of this month. In the mean time, you may be able to find some stock with our EU dealers. Thanks for hanging in there.

https://boredbrainmusic.com/dealers/

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 am

Do you do local pickup for RVA?
THUMPR BC SC

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:32 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 am
Do you do local pickup for RVA?
Yes, please PM me. :)

skxdlxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skxdlxx » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 am

Looks like you guys have a hit on your hands with OPTX. Mine arrived today, nicely built! I’m sure you’ll sell a ton of reverse panels so the optical IO is on top as well 😉

legato72
Learning to Wiggle

Post by legato72 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:44 am

I got an injectr, first experience with a boredbrain module and gotta say, I'm really impressed with the build quality!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:17 am

would this work for a minimal pc interface?

https://www.midistore.com/products/esi- ... -interface

no specs vs the USBStreamer linked above though

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:17 am
would this work for a minimal pc interface?

https://www.midistore.com/products/esi- ... -interface

no specs vs the USBStreamer linked above though
That is stereo S/PDIF optical and not ADAT, so it won’t work.

ETA look at an old Edirol UA-25 - drivers probably still work and can be had for u dear $100

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:39 am

So far, I’m really liking mine and glad to have the space back that Optx saved me over me previous setup. It affords me more room for more shiny new hotness.

Nice job, Boredbrain!
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

skxdlxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skxdlxx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 am

Naenyn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:39 am
So far, I’m really liking mine and glad to have the space back that Optx saved me over me previous setup. It affords me more room for more shiny new hotness.

Nice job, Boredbrain!
What was your previous setup?

I’ve been having some issues with mine. Seems like it’s doing a little bit of wave shaping - square waves come in skewed to a saw, triangle waves sort of a shark fin shape. Comparing directly with my ES-8, which has no issues. Looks like I might have a faulty one, have sent boredbrain a support request

slexer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slexer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 am

skxdlxx wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 am

I’ve been having some issues with mine. Seems like it’s doing a little bit of wave shaping - square waves come in skewed to a saw, triangle waves sort of a shark fin shape. Comparing directly with my ES-8, which has no issues. Looks like I might have a faulty one, have sent boredbrain a support request
That sounds as if there is some ac coupling going on somewhere? Have you tried looking at constant CV, how do they look?

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 am

skxdlxx wrote:
Naenyn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:39 am
So far, I’m really liking mine!
What was your previous setup?
Previously, I was using an ES-3+6+7 combo. I had no complaints with it, other than the size it took up. I've not experienced any issues like what you've described with either of my setups. :despair:

I can say that I've used Boredbrain patch cables for a while now and have exchanged many emails with them. They'll surely take care of you if there is something truly wrong with your module. Good folks.

Edit: I've noticed the behavior you described if I send an LFO from Bitwig to the Optx and then take that back out to Bitwig and into a scope. However, if I just look at the LFO out from Optx in to a scope in my rack (DATA), it looks fine (albeit a little ... "noisy" compared with LFOs generated within my rack). I don't yet understand enough of what's happening here to know if this has anything to do with what you're experiencing, though. Seems like a linear / logarithmic thing.

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

skxdlxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skxdlxx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:34 am

Interesting! I’m sure we’ll get to the bottom of it.

skxdlxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skxdlxx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 am

slexer wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 am
skxdlxx wrote:

That sounds as if there is some ac coupling going on somewhere? Have you tried looking at constant CV, how do they look?
Yeah I’m sure it’s something like that. Looking forward to working with boredbrain

nocontact
Common Wiggler

Post by nocontact » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 am

Boredbrain modules are in stock @ Synthesizers.gr for Europe

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:07 am

Is the Audient ID14 the smallest cheap interface for ADAT?
THUMPR BC SC

gran_syth
Common Wiggler

Post by gran_syth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:09 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:07 am
Is the Audient ID14 the smallest cheap interface for ADAT?
I would rather go for something like this: https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box

The Audient ID14 does not seem to have adat out? so you would not be able to use the OPTX for CV controls and obviously also to send audio to you modular.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:13 am

I realized that right after. Thanks!!
THUMPR BC SC

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Hey Wigglers! The ADCs we are using in Optx (also used in many other professional interfaces) employ a HPF just below 1 Hz, which causes a slight distortion of very slowly changing control voltages. This is common in most ADCs. Fortunately for most signals this is very minimal and mostly unnoticeable in use, yet it does have more of an effect on square waves, gates, etc. Without this HPF though, the input signals would suffer from a DC offset, and to us that sucks worse, especially for audio.

We are hoping to eventually find an affordable ADC where we wouldn't have make this compromise (the ADCs that maybe can are unobtainium), but until then we hope Optx works great for you, as it does for us. Of course, thanks for all the kind words and feedback!

skxdlxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skxdlxx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:52 pm

For anyone interested, these are the results of my tests vs the Expert Sleepers ES-8. I used the exact same setup for each. I decided these results along with the noisy input 8 were not suitable for my needs, however I can see how this is still a useful module to others.

Square LFO ES8:
squareES8.png
Same Square LFO OPTX:
squareOPTX.png
Triangle LFO ES8:
triangleES8.png

Triangle LFO OPTX:
Attachments
triangleOPTX.png

djd_oz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by djd_oz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:57 pm

soundshaper wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm
The ADCs we are using in Optx (also used in many other professional interfaces) employ a HPF just below 1 Hz, which causes a slight distortion of very slowly changing control voltages.
Can I ask, at what frequency range are we expecting to start seeing these slight signal distortions?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Huh, I just assumed the inputs were DC-coupled.

I guess it's a good thing I don't rely on sending CV into Bitwig in ways where this would be a problem.

gran_syth
Common Wiggler

Post by gran_syth » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:53 am

The module is advertised as DC coupled!

“DC-coupled I/O supports both CV and audio signals”

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:13 am

soundshaper wrote:
Hey Wigglers!
Thank you for the info about the noisy LFOs. Any chance you could comment on skxdlxx’s posts with the odd wave shaping? I’m really curious what is causing hat issue…

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:29 am

Naenyn wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:13 am
Thank you for the info about the noisy LFOs. Any chance you could comment on skxdlxx’s posts with the odd wave shaping? I’m really curious what is causing hat issue…
Soundshaper basically already explained the reason. Unfortunately, the HPF used to remove DC offset will slew any very slow moving or steady non-zero voltage towards zero. Any DC-offset removing filter will cause this.
soundshaper wrote:
Hey Wigglers! The ADCs we are using in Optx (also used in many other professional interfaces) employ a HPF just below 1 Hz, which causes a slight distortion of very slowly changing control voltages. This is common in most ADCs. Fortunately for most signals this is very minimal and mostly unnoticeable in use, yet it does have more of an effect on square waves, gates, etc. Without this HPF though, the input signals would suffer from a DC offset, and to us that sucks worse, especially for audio.

We are hoping to eventually find an affordable ADC where we wouldn't have make this compromise (the ADCs that maybe can are unobtainium), but until then we hope Optx works great for you, as it does for us. Of course, thanks for all the kind words and feedback!
Soundshaper, we are hoping you will find a solution, too. Maybe a switchable AC-DC coupling for the ADC? Without it, we won't be able to send pitch CV's into the computer for further processing/manipulation. That's one of the things I was hoping to do with this module.

It's still a great module without DC-coupled inputs, but it would be even better with that option.
Last edited by Joe_D on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”