Boredbrain OPTX

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nsolarz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 am

Boredbrain OPTX

Post by nsolarz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm

didn't see a thread on this so:

https://boredbrainmusic.com/product/optx/



8 in, 8 out ADAT to eurorack module. no frills, does exactly what you want for both audio and CV. Super excited for this.

$330 USD


User avatar
folpon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by folpon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm

This is so stupid, but I've been hovering over buying the Cranborn 500ADAT 500 series chassis just to add 8 more ins to my interface but I can never make myself spend 1500$ on it. This boredbrain thing might just be cheap enough that I'll end up just buying it and not worrying about it.
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

nsolarz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by nsolarz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:26 pm

folpon wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm
This boredbrain thing might just be cheap enough that I'll end up just buying it and not worrying about it.
I bought two lol

User avatar
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3118
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: krellifornia

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by windspirit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:30 pm

Bought one, my interface is old and crochety so hopefully it will work without a lot of debugging. Will report back.

nocontact
Common Wiggler
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by nocontact » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Does this suffer from dc offset like ES6? Looks great... excited to hear more about it.

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by drowld » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:30 pm

I can finally sell the ES stuff with thoses damn jacks.
Price is right for 8in/out
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:34 pm

I’ve had one for a bit. Two actually. Using them as a cv bridge for two very physically separate systems in my studio. It’s pretty awesome. Not sure about the DC offset. I haven’t noticed anything. I’ve been in the loop a bit through the development of this module and I will say a lot of thought has been put into it.

User avatar
folpon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by folpon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:34 pm
I’ve had one for a bit. Two actually. Using them as a cv bridge for two very physically separate systems in my studio. It’s pretty awesome. Not sure about the DC offset. I haven’t noticed anything. I’ve been in the loop a bit through the development of this module and I will say a lot of thought has been put into it.
Do you have any experiencing passing audio from your modular into your DAW? I'd be very curious to hear about how stable the ext clock sync over adat is and what the audio quality is like...
Los Angeles Public Libra
@folpon

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4853
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 pm

folpon wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:34 pm
I’ve had one for a bit. Two actually. Using them as a cv bridge for two very physically separate systems in my studio. It’s pretty awesome. Not sure about the DC offset. I haven’t noticed anything. I’ve been in the loop a bit through the development of this module and I will say a lot of thought has been put into it.
Do you have any experiencing passing audio from your modular into your DAW? I'd be very curious to hear about how stable the ext clock sync over adat is and what the audio quality is like...
No. I have no need. Ha but some time soon Adam and I will shoot some videos and I’ll make sure we record it all through this. He can give you more details on the converters but I’m pretty sure they’re over spec’d. I have used it to pass audio between cases and I’ve noticed no degradation in signal, though I wasn’t too critical. I will say the other two modules sound f’ing awesome.

User avatar
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 pm

It sounds like you need Expert Sleepers Silent Way to process CV in and out. I wonder if there's any expanders available for this, or if it hooks up directly to the ES-5?
DJMaytag IG | DJMaytag Reverb | Madisynths IG | Madisynths Reverb |

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

User avatar
EsquireKnight
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by EsquireKnight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm

nocontact wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:29 pm
Does this suffer from dc offset like ES6? Looks great... excited to hear more about it.
From a comment on YT:

Hi Guy. It was our intention with this design to ensure that there is absolutely no DC offset. 0V is 0V. Thanks!
la cuadrícula de los sintetizadores modulares https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1338958

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Why haven't I thought to use ADAT for recording instead of these clunky usb interfaces?

Damn...damn...
THUMPR BC SC

nsolarz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by nsolarz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:08 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 pm
Why haven't I thought to use ADAT for recording instead of these clunky usb interfaces?

Damn...damn...
i mean previous to this, the options weren't ideal. if all you care about is ADAT, this is the first that offers a "no-compromise" 8-in, 8-out. Honestly its surprising to me that it took this long

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2681
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am

Oh I figured the ES-8/3/9 all do this no?
THUMPR BC SC

DMR
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by DMR » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am
Oh I figured the ES-8/3/9 all do this no?
They basically do, though none of them are 8-in, 8-out ADAT only. The ES-3 is 8 ADAT outputs (add an ES-6 for 6 ADAT inputs, plus other expanders for encoding signals as gates, etc.). The ES-8 is 4-in, 8-out, and can be used over ADAT only, or instead via USB. The ES-9 is a USB interface with SPDIF expander ports.

User avatar
justin3am
Let's go do some crimes
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by justin3am » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am

I picked up a pair of these from Perfect Circuit yesterday. I'm excited to get them set up over the weekend.
I've been using the ES-3/6 combo for years, they are a big part of how I use my modular. It's cool to see another player in this space.
I'm still waiting from someone to do a Dante interface for modular... but until then, I'll be using a Focusrite Rednet 3 interface, so I can bring ADAT interfaces into my Dante network.

User avatar
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:58 am

DMR wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am
Oh I figured the ES-8/3/9 all do this no?
They basically do, though none of them are 8-in, 8-out ADAT only. The ES-3 is 8 ADAT outputs (add an ES-6 for 6 ADAT inputs
An ES-3 paired with an ES-6 and ES7 will do 8-in and 8-out. That's 3 modules and 16 HP of space though.
DJMaytag IG | DJMaytag Reverb | Madisynths IG | Madisynths Reverb |

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

jpizzo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by jpizzo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am

Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?

moo_lefty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by moo_lefty » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am

jpizzo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am
Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?
I'd be incredibly surprised if that didn't work. I hook a Motu 2408 up to the ES-8 for more I/o via adat and it works flawlessly, no reason why this wouldn't.

User avatar
soundshaper
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by soundshaper » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 pm

jpizzo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am
Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?
We didn't try specifically with ES-8, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Would be nice to have extremely short optical cables for such a configuration, but we only offer 6-ft, 12-ft and 25-ft. OPTX was tested with RME, MOTU and Arturia Audiofuse audio interfaces, and of course OPTX to OPTX which is possible since the module can produce its own sample clock. - Adam (Boredbrain Music)

nsolarz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:55 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by nsolarz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:57 pm

soundshaper wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 pm
jpizzo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am
Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?
We didn't try specifically with ES-8, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Would be nice to have extremely short optical cables for such a configuration, but we only offer 6-ft, 12-ft and 25-ft. OPTX was tested with RME, MOTU and Arturia Audiofuse audio interfaces, and of course OPTX to OPTX which is possible since the module can produce its own sample clock. - Adam (Boredbrain Music)
is there any special sauce with your optical cables vs others on the market?

jpizzo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by jpizzo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 pm

soundshaper wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 pm
jpizzo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am
Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?
We didn't try specifically with ES-8, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Would be nice to have extremely short optical cables for such a configuration, but we only offer 6-ft, 12-ft and 25-ft. OPTX was tested with RME, MOTU and Arturia Audiofuse audio interfaces, and of course OPTX to OPTX which is possible since the module can produce its own sample clock. - Adam (Boredbrain Music)
Nice! Also expert sleepers sells really short optical cables. I got a 6in one from them directly a while back.
moo_lefty wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am
jpizzo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am
Wait ya, I also would like to know, is it possible to hook this into an es-8 via adat if using the es8 as a usb device? Anyone able to try this out?
I'd be incredibly surprised if that didn't work. I hook a Motu 2408 up to the ES-8 for more I/o via adat and it works flawlessly, no reason why this wouldn't.
Oh interesting, is the es-8 the master interface in your setup? i.e. the es-8 is connected to your computer via usb, and then to motu through adat (and motu is not connected to computer directly)? I had only ever thought to do it in the other direction, where the motu is the master.

Stice
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Location: in between

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by Stice » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:47 pm

justin3am wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am
I'm still waiting from someone to do a Dante interface for modular... but until then, I'll be using a Focusrite Rednet 3 interface, so I can bring ADAT interfaces into my Dante network.
Dante for eurorack would be great.

What is the latency with Optx?

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:51 am

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 pm

Can you share any information about which ADCs and DACs are in OPTX?

ETA and also latency figures for conversion?

Thanks!

User avatar
EsquireKnight
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Boredbrain OPTX

Post by EsquireKnight » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 am

Just ordered this from DM if anyone is looking for one (with a 10% discount code). Will interface into an RME UCX II, so it's good to learn that Adam tested OPTX with RME interfaces. :tu:
la cuadrícula de los sintetizadores modulares https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1338958

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”