SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
User avatar
feelingthin
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:18 am
Location: Seattle

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by feelingthin »

shortsleeves wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:04 am
The pings sounded good! Where did you buy yours? Or was it commissioned for a demo?
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by fastlanestranger »

I finally received my Zagrzeb and racked it yesterday. I will most likely never drone without it now. Ran an LFO into the spread and immediately fell in love. Also I’ve never been a fan of self-oscillation and really appreciate that this thing doesn’t go there. It’s wonderful and might be my first double purchase.
User avatar
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1543
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by joey »



my review
User avatar
feelingthin
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:18 am
Location: Seattle

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by feelingthin »

joey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:08 am

my review
The feedback patch sounds good! I'm excited for mine to show up.
User avatar
Wavtekt
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 am
Location: Canada West Coast
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by Wavtekt »

Hmmm ... seems rather pricey for a stereo filter that doesn't self-oscillate and track v/oct ...
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by fastlanestranger »

I like the fact that it doesn’t self-oscillate.
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by ronnieb »

Wavtekt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:38 pm Hmmm ... seems rather pricey for a stereo filter that doesn't self-oscillate and track v/oct ...
Since when does self oscillation have anything to do with the price of a filter? :hmm:
I think it’s fairly safe to assume it’s a design choice as opposed to just cutting corners to make a few quid.
You want sine waves? …buy Odessa :hihi:
User avatar
Wavtekt
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 am
Location: Canada West Coast
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by Wavtekt »

ronnieb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 pm
Wavtekt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:38 pm Hmmm ... seems rather pricey for a stereo filter that doesn't self-oscillate and track v/oct ...
Since when does self oscillation have anything to do with the price of a filter? :hmm:
I think it’s fairly safe to assume it’s a design choice as opposed to just cutting corners to make a few quid.
You want sine waves? …buy Odessa :hihi:
v/oct tracking using tempco resistor / matching transistors / digital temperature compensation / v/oct tracking trimming are costly to implement compared to one that don't.

This is a fact.

You can use a resonance switch to choose whether you want the filter to self-oscillate or not, but unfortunately this is not included in the design. Mono to stereo image phase shifting network is a nice addition though.

There are better choices out there ...
User avatar
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London, U.K.
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by Kosmikos »

I really like how this filter sounds. However I was watching this video, and there seems to be some clipping during the filter sweeps. Anyone can confirm whether it’s a case of they all do that?
I can see this as being an interesting character/feature, but I’m not sure I’d want it always on.
Here’s the video, check it out at 0:50:
Last edited by Kosmikos on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Kosmikos TV: https://youtube.com/@kosmikos-tv
User avatar
proxy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by proxy »

joey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:08 am

my review
Your demo / reviews are always so pure and full of genuine energetic charge, trying to make cool sounds while you're at it and having fun / surprising yourself with the sickness of the sounds. Your Stereo Dipole video and the sounds you ripped out of it convinced me I (eventually) need it, and you've swung me on this as well! My MW thread on my struggle to pick filters viewtopic.php?t=250015 on here shows how much I've struggled and you help bring focus to the GAS.
User avatar
Underglow
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:11 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by Underglow »

Kosmikos wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:37 am I really like how this filter sounds. However I was watching this video, and there seems to be some clipping during the filter sweeps. Anyone can confirm whether it’s a case of they all do that?
I can see this as being an interesting character/feature, but I’m not sure I’d want it always on.
Here’s the video, check it out at 0:50:
Zagrzeb user here. IMO, the clipping above is probably due to a hot signal. There is of course no input attenuation so one has to mind that.

I could be wrong on this, and I hope someone corrects me if I am, but my understanding is that any illumination of the resonance control, when it is positioned at zero, indicates an input signal that is past the device’s own clipping point. When I gain stage accordingly, there is plenty of headroom left over for full-resonance shenanigans sans any audible clipping.
User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by BaloErets »

Wavtekt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:20 pm
ronnieb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 pm
Wavtekt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:38 pm Hmmm ... seems rather pricey for a stereo filter that doesn't self-oscillate and track v/oct ...
Since when does self oscillation have anything to do with the price of a filter? :hmm:
I think it’s fairly safe to assume it’s a design choice as opposed to just cutting corners to make a few quid.
You want sine waves? …buy Odessa :hihi:
You can use a resonance switch to choose whether you want the filter to self-oscillate or not, but unfortunately this is not included in the design. Mono to stereo image phase shifting network is a nice addition though.

There are better choices out there ...
A resonance switch requires both space and circuitry and the panel which is very well designed is tight enough as it is. Not all filters need to self-res as a standard even if it could be an option. That is a design choice.

There are better choices out there... for you indeed. For another person it's the perfect filter.
User avatar
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by studioutopia »

Zagrzeb is a beautiful counterpoint to Belgrad. I love the bandpass options, the resonance is sweet but not abrasive. It is fat and warm and the stereo image it creates is useful, but not "over-the-top stereo effect". I really love it.
Regarding V/Oct and self-oscillation... I have a lot of really amazing analog VCOs that track great and oscillate, and I-ō47 and Belgrad are all I really need for pingable filters when I want to play with that... those capabilities are optional and don't really contribute much value to me in judging the quality of a filter - but that is just my opinion.
I think Zagrzeb is a wonderful character filter, and it is very unique when compared with the rest of my collection of filters.
User avatar
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London, U.K.
Contact:

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by Kosmikos »

Underglow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:29 pm
Kosmikos wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:37 am I really like how this filter sounds. However I was watching this video, and there seems to be some clipping during the filter sweeps. Anyone can confirm whether it’s a case of they all do that?
I can see this as being an interesting character/feature, but I’m not sure I’d want it always on.
Here’s the video, check it out at 0:50:
Zagrzeb user here. IMO, the clipping above is probably due to a hot signal. There is of course no input attenuation so one has to mind that.

I could be wrong on this, and I hope someone corrects me if I am, but my understanding is that any illumination of the resonance control, when it is positioned at zero, indicates an input signal that is past the device’s own clipping point. When I gain stage accordingly, there is plenty of headroom left over for full-resonance shenanigans sans any audible clipping.
Thanks. The intro does mention using a mix of Dixie II+ outputs, and the resonance is high when clipping shows up, so that would make sense.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Kosmikos TV: https://youtube.com/@kosmikos-tv
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

With QPas, I love to send it a stereo signal, and then take the left channel out of the low pass, and the right channel out of the band pass. Does this module work well in that way also? Mixing the outputs?
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by fastlanestranger »

FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm With QPas, I love to send it a stereo signal, and then take the left channel out of the low pass, and the right channel out of the band pass. Does this module work well in that way also? Mixing the outputs?
You can definitely run the left and right out of different filter models, yeah. Unless there's something specifically technical you're referring to that I'm not understanding. But I enjoy doing this to get a bit of flavor from each.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

fastlanestranger wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:44 pm
FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm With QPas, I love to send it a stereo signal, and then take the left channel out of the low pass, and the right channel out of the band pass. Does this module work well in that way also? Mixing the outputs?
You can definitely run the left and right out of different filter models, yeah. Unless there's something specifically technical you're referring to that I'm not understanding. But I enjoy doing this to get a bit of flavor from each.
Awesome. Good to know. Thanks!
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

Has any changed their Zagrzeb panel to black, and can confirm if the frequency knob has to be removed to achieve this?
funksy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by funksy »

I don't have a Zagrzeb, but have changed the panels on other Xaoc modules with that style of knob, and you definitely need to remove it. You'll need to remove all the knobs, and any nuts on potentiometers and jacks.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

funksy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am I don't have a Zagrzeb, but have changed the panels on other Xaoc modules with that style of knob, and you definitely need to remove it. You'll need to remove all the knobs, and any nuts on potentiometers and jacks.
Thanks. For the big knob, did you just use your hands, or can you recommend a tool?
funksy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by funksy »

FletchNYC wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 am
funksy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 am I don't have a Zagrzeb, but have changed the panels on other Xaoc modules with that style of knob, and you definitely need to remove it. You'll need to remove all the knobs, and any nuts on potentiometers and jacks.
Thanks. For the big knob, did you just use your hands, or can you recommend a tool?
For me, the big knobs were on tightly enough that I needed to use a flathead screwdriver to get it started. I covered the tip with some fabric or something to prevent scratching the panel.
thread
Common Wiggler
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by thread »

Make sure there isn't a tiny screw going into the side of the knob. My Odessa & Belgrad do, for instance. Kamieniec doesn't! Don't have a Zagrzeb tho.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

Great - thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it!
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

mantiwhore wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:02 am zagrzeb_mockup_black_mg.png
Any chance you all could post your alternative black panels to modular grid, along with your silver ones? It may seem a small thing, but if I can see a module in my rack in my preferred color, it actually can impact its appeal, and increase the likelihood that I purchase it.
ronnieb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by ronnieb »

FletchNYC wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:19 am
mantiwhore wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:02 am zagrzeb_mockup_black_mg.png
Any chance you all could post your alternative black panels to modular grid, along with your silver ones? It may seem a small thing, but if I can see a module in my rack in my preferred color, it actually can impact its appeal, and increase the likelihood that I purchase it.
They are all on there?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devi ... lack-panel
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”