SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Re: SB2021: Xaoc Devices Zagrzeb 1979 Stereo Four Pole VC Filter

Post by FletchNYC »

ronnieb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:28 am
FletchNYC wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:19 am
mantiwhore wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:02 am zagrzeb_mockup_black_mg.png
Any chance you all could post your alternative black panels to modular grid, along with your silver ones? It may seem a small thing, but if I can see a module in my rack in my preferred color, it actually can impact its appeal, and increase the likelihood that I purchase it.
They are all on there?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devi ... lack-panel
Oh, ok. They’re posted as separate modules. I was expecting that if I used the change panel feature on the silver modules, I would be able to switch to the black panels, but I guess they didn’t set them up that way. Thanks!
redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester »

Just managed to get one of these second hand in good condition for a reasonable price. Like so many things they seem to be out of stock everywhere right now. My first Xaoc module, looking forward to it.
lukas412
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lukas412 »

Congrats! I really like it. Definitely a smooth juicy filter. Enjoy!
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

They were some in stock until last week in the U.K., but it was in dwindling numbers, so I finally ordered one.
First impressions are positive, loving the sound and the spread action, but I didn’t expect the resonance to sound so good, and I’m now wishing it had a resonance CV input as it begs to be modulated.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Kosmikos TV: https://youtube.com/@kosmikos-tv
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

I know I've already said this in this thread, but I'm crazy about this filter. It's my favorite sounding of all the ones I own. So, so smooth. I'm not big on pushing resonance, so what's on offer here is perfect for me, but I can see how people who are into that sound would be a bit let down by this module. But I just can't get enough of it.

Might be a module that I purchase a second one...but need to get out of debt before I do something like that.
Black_Materia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Black_Materia »

Still on the fence about this one. Almost every video has these strange clipping peaks in sweeps. some people posted here that it just happens when the input level is too high, but it seems pretty much an inherent characteristic of the design. I really hate having to fuss too much about gainstaging and messing up takes because it just clipped once.
Anyone who has the confidence to reassure me this is a non-issue? sound and design wise i like it a lot.
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

Black_Materia wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:31 am Still on the fence about this one. Almost every video has these strange clipping peaks in sweeps. some people posted here that it just happens when the input level is too high, but it seems pretty much an inherent characteristic of the design. I really hate having to fuss too much about gainstaging and messing up takes because it just clipped once.
Anyone who has the confidence to reassure me this is a non-issue? sound and design wise i like it a lot.
That did worry me, so I asked someone I knew who’s using it quite a lot and they said it was a non issue, so I just got one. I haven’t tried to get it clipping yet, but so far I’ve had no issues. I’ve been using it after a VCA though (Galilean Moons).
If there is any specific test you want me to try, let me know.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Yeah I've had zero issues with clipping with my unit, and often treat gain staging as an afterthought until a problem shows up.
It's by far my favorite filter.
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

I did have some clipping today, using a WMD/SSF Spectrum as source with max resonance. I just kept the resonance down a bit and it all went fine.
The recording turned out pretty awesome, all gnarly and acidic, so I thought I’ll share:

Patch notes:
Spectrum saw output into Zagrzeb, Spectrum sub into Zagrzeb attenuated frequency input, a Zlob Skew LFO into the spread input, Zagrzeb output into a Joranalogue Enhance 2 for the pan effect, then into an FXAid Space Station algorithm.
(And in the back Chainsaw modulated by Quadrax in burst mode into Desmodus Versio. Beads in voice mode for added SFX, plus a Minimod VCO into Steve’s MS22 into another FXAid delay into reverb algorithm for added buzzyness.)
SeanBonham
Common Wiggler

Post by SeanBonham »

Everyone still happy with their Zagrzeb? Thinking about it as a counter point to my Belgrad.
goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate »

EDIT: wrong topic.
lukas412
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lukas412 »

I'm very happy with mine. Im finding the band pass section to be really unique. Just a great sounding smooth filter overall. I think it compliments Belgrad nicely, very different sound.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

I love it. It's become my go-to filter. I avoid self-oscillation in filters for whatever reason...it makes the tinnitus in my right ear go absolutely bonkers...and so the smooth nature of this filter is so wonderful to me. Sometimes I even push the resonance way up and it still doesn't take a dagger to my ear drum.
I know this might be an indictment to some, but I'm kind of crazy about it...the sound is beautiful. Might even get another.
Boogle788
Common Wiggler

Post by Boogle788 »

I also really like this filter. No abnormal clipping issues and I'm also not a resonance freak, for what it's worth. Just a simple, great sounding stereo filter IMO.
SeanBonham
Common Wiggler

Post by SeanBonham »

Nice thanks all!
Black_Materia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Black_Materia »

It does clip quite easily, compared to a lot of filters. Not so much when just using eurorack oscillators, but when sending in external audio, things with a lot of dynamics or transients.

I got mine mainly as the stereo filter in a smaller rig that is mostly aimed at external processing. And do find i need to take care of levels more than i'd like. And having two extra attenuators takes up more space/utilities in a small space.

It sounds okay. Not amazing, not super characterful. It's a good clean utility filter with a little bit of analogue mojo.
It might get functionally replaced by an Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques i have my eye on, but that is quite a bit bigger.

Not sure if i will sell it, it sounds good, it's stereo multimode in a small 8hp package, yet still ergonmomic. And it looks beautiful, with this old lab equipment/russian submarine knob look.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”