Flame µQMCV user feedbacks?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Flame µQMCV user feedbacks?

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:27 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing my Hermod for a Flame µQMCV interface as I'm using the Hermod in a very basic way (I actually don't use the sequencer at all), so it looks a bit overkill. Moreover in 4 voices mode I can't have velocity (only 2 outputs per voice) whereas the Flame has it + modwheel and pitchbend outs. Really nice features all packed in 5hp. Seems more appropriate for my use.
I do use the MIDI effects of Hermod that are pretty cool but well, I could live without them I guess.

is there some owners of the Falme module that could tel me if they're happy with it?
Build quality?
no bugs?
Easy to use?
Clock works fine?

I read that the 1/16th clock works only when a run signal in present, is that a problem? ( don't see why but worth asking in case I missed something)

i'm still looking at the market and discarded expert sleepers and Polyend (bad experience with the latter), but I take any suggestion for a 4 voices easy to use MIDI-CV interface too.
thanks

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Flame µQMCV user feedbacks?

Post by acidbob » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:18 am

I dont have experience with the Flame one. But the best midi to CV interface I had was the Qmi, it's just awesome, simple and works perfectly.
The other recommendation is the kenton modular solo, it's only one voice and it's kind of deep, but it has built in LFO and clock output, also lot's of cool features.
I currently have the Tubutec uTune and with the latest firmware I can say it's the most feature packed midi to CV module I have ever tried, it's kind of advanced but once it's set up it works really well. I also have the expander for it.
So these are just some other options which I can recommend and all of them have a real midi DIN socket.

I am not sure why Intellijel midi to cv module is no longer available new, it's seems they have gone all 1U, which I am not really a fan of.

I personally dont have good experience with Polyend, but it seems a lot of people like the midi to CV module, im just not going down that road again!

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:56 am

Many thanks for your detailed feedback!
I forgot the uTune from Tubutec, seems like a really interesting one.
I really need 4 voices as my main use is polyphony. Polyend is in my blacklist for ever, bad experience also on my side.
I’ll check deeper the uTune and Qmi too. Who is the manufacturer of the latter?

Still taking feedbacks about the flame ‘cause it’s very tight in hp and seems to fit my bill of charge.

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 pm

We use the qMI and the qMI v2 from Vermona and the Flame µQMCV to interface 12 channels of MIDI to modular CV-Gate. These three interfaces are great. The Vermona are visually perfect, easy to program, and without bugs. They are large in hp and big in features and fiability. The Flame µQMCV is only 5 hp wide, not as easy to program but not very difficult either. We like it too for the large number of features in 5 hp. Each of the four channels has CV, Gate and velocity outputs. There are modulation, pitchbend and MIDI Thru outputs. And finally the Run and 16th clock are independent and work perfectly. If we go to 16 modular channels we will go for another Flame µQMCV.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:14 pm

Qmi is Vermona and it's superb because it just works and it's so easy to setup. But it had to go because it was too big and I was scaling down. To me it beats the Mutable instruments Yarns.

The uTune can be expanded with a 2HP expander module, I think you can have 3 or 4 of them next to the uTune, actually the expander is a uTune without the screen. The good thing about it is that it's compact and fully configurable, there is a calibration table, and an auto calibration feature, and it does legato playing which I didn't have so much success on with the Kenton modular solo. On the uTune you can see which midi note is being received and what frequency/note and offset your VCO's have, the screen will have more visual feedback as you add expanders.
The uTune has a lot of settings as it can also be used as CV to midi with scaling, it's more complicated than the Qmi, but not that hard once you get the hold of it and then basically you have a quantizer as well.

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 am

2 Nice competitors! Many thanks for your feedbacks, much appreciated :)
Does the flame handle legato play?
Maybe the tubbutec has a slight edge but takes more real estate.
‘Il see depending on my free rack space :)

trigger303
Common Wiggler

Post by trigger303 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:34 pm

I have u16MCC and uMGTV.
Sorry I don't have uQMCV, but the modules I have are awesome.
Simple, enough outputs for its size.
Build quality is great. (yes, as usual for Flame)

I didn't buy uQMCV because I already use Expert Sleepers' ES-3 and SilentWay combo to
convert MIDI to Gate/CV, but uQMCV also seems great.
I think you will not be disappointed.

I want to know about legato handling, too :)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”