"critique" / make suggestions re this selection of NLC modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

"critique" / make suggestions re this selection of NLC modules

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 pm

I have a Divider & Conquer and love it, and all of the Sloths variations plus a Let's Splosh have been on my radar for a while, but instead of simply buying a couple of prebuilt modules I'm looking into getting an entire group of them in Kit form to build.

This rack down below is what I'm considering ordering kits of (already deleted the MG rack, the image is all there is). And my questions are. Am I missing anything else from NLC that's especially cool? If it were you, would you swap This of his with That of his? What's up...? Especially from those with firsthand experience with these particular NLC modules. Thanks.

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Re: "critique" / make suggestions re this selection of NLC modules

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:03 pm

I'd remove the sloths DK personally. I didn't find it very useful except in very long pieces and I think an attenuator on the slow side of sloths would get you there anyway. Beat Freq, Cellular automata, and 8-bit cipher may have a bit of overlap, but you can use them together to get some pretty wild patterns.
If you plan on using them primarily for CV then maybe drop one. Everything else looks really good.

Possible additions- Feague. Awesome quadrature sine oscillator and gnarly filter. It's one of those modules that fly under the radar but is just so nice to have in any rack. Another one to consider is resonate. Under the right settings, it can make very lush patches from rather simple waveforms or external audio.

If you have any desire for a cool VCO from them I like a plague of demons and the cem3340 the best. POD can get wild quickly and is a solid VCO without FM and the 3340 is unique in terms of the pan pulse settings.

Really can't go wrong with any NLC. There have only been a couple of designs I thought were a bit underwhelming and I've built pretty much everything Andrew has offered at this point.

Another tip is since most of his designs use very similar component types and values you will save a TON of cash if you source stuff yourself. Then you can build even more!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Get a magpie white panel for the hypster from synth cube. Hyperchaos is something you would want to clock externally. I didn't like the triple band distortion which I see is not in the rack. The vactrol pill is pretty cool. You might want to play with some of these before you buy all of them. There were also some 84HP eurorack panels released a looong time ago in silver with black text.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:19 pm

I agree with most of what Neolithic Electrophones has said.
Looking at that rack, it seems you want CV and pattern generation only? I think another strength of NLC is interesting VCOs and sound processors.

As far as what else I would recommend, my Let's Splosh is one of my favourite modules, so much so that I'm building another.
Feague is great as both a quadrature LFO and a filter.
The spring reverb (big room) sounds really nice.
If you're into somewhat dirty but great sounding delay, then either the delaynomore or delaynomore3 are excellent
1050 mixseq is a really flexible and useful module - straightforward 8 step, 2x4 step sequencer or mixer
Divine CMOS is pretty interesting for generating gate patterns and a related CV output through the slew out.
I really like the Kareishuu VCO and the CEM3340 for twists on 'basic' VCOs.

metamorphmuses
Wiggling with Experience

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 pm

I have Triple Sloths, Let's Splosh, The Hypster — those you either mention and/or have in your rack — as well as 1050 Mixer/Sequencer and Chopper — those you don't seem to be considering.

In addition to the Qu-Bit Nano Rand v2 and the CuteLab Missed Opportunities that I keep near to these modules and play quite nicely with them, I am pretty happy with the interactions of the NLC modules I've incorporated thus far.

modulargrid_1218325.png
modulargrid_1218325.png (439.5 KiB) Viewed 462 times

So, I would say definitely add the 1050 Mixer/Sequencer and Chopper modules to your considerations.

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KittenVillage » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 pm

I build the Hyperchaos. I have hardly used it (or the other NLC I built) mostly due to time and such. Be aware the Hyperchaos, per Andrew, should be built with the same color leds. (I have a second with the smd done waiting to be finished.) I built 2x Feague and love them the best, but I can't explain why. The leds on my D&C are way, way too bright too. Be aware that there's 2 versions of the Bindubba floating around. I had a newish panel and a 'magpie' pcb from synthcube and the direction jacks were reversed. (Just fixed with a magpie panel today!)

I made a spreadsheet with my NLC boms in it. You'd be best served doing the same for your builds. You can sort from a spreadsheet and see what common values you need. (I just copied from the PDFs and cleaned up in a text editor then imported into the sheet.) Don't be afraid of ordering from lcsc and/or tayda.

Sorry, can't help but throw build advice out there.

I've been considering the 8-bit Cypher, Cellular Automata and 1050. It really is hard to decide! Seems like all the videos I see with NLC either have a 1050 or an ArseQ.

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm
There were also some 84HP eurorack panels released a looong time ago in silver with black text.
I have them and they are the last Euro I would ever sell, and I would have to be absolutely desperate to let them go
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:24 pm

jsleeio wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm
There were also some 84HP eurorack panels released a looong time ago in silver with black text.
I have them and they are the last Euro I would ever sell, and I would have to be absolutely desperate to let them go
Cool. Mind posting photos of them?

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 am

IMG_1473.jpeg
edit: apologies for the crappy pic. the text isn't actually blurry like that, it's super clear and easy to read.

i think the speckled panel makes it difficult to photograph

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 am

I remember the price for the kit was super cheap. It was a panel PCB set. Maybe jsleeio remembers the price.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:30 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 am
I remember the price for the kit was super cheap. It was a panel PCB set. Maybe jsleeio remembers the price.
I don't remember but yeah it was cheap. like $100 per set or something. Wildly cheap considering the PCB size and that you get a huge aluminium panel with a lovely sparkle in the light.

I eventually decided I didn't have the time, focus or energy for 168hp of SMD soldering and had andrewF assemble a pair for me. I still have the original PCBs+panels here and I'm lately wondering if I should send them to him and get them assembled too before it becomes completely impossible to find the VTL5C3/2 vactrols for the LPGs. It'd be kinda rad to have a pair of each, and especially so for the Action panel (the top one in my pic) where most of the more unconventional bits are

Actually while I have it in mind... for OP: the spring reverb circuit in the Voice panel is really sweet and it was later done as a separate module called The Big Room. Strong recommend. It is designed for a different spec of reverb tank to other Euro spring modules I have here (Springray v1, Music Thing Spring, Pulplogic Spring Reverberation): https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/modul ... e-big-room

jabberbased
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberbased » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:26 pm

jsleeio wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 am
IMG_1473.jpeg

edit: apologies for the crappy pic. the text isn't actually blurry like that, it's super clear and easy to read.

Should you ever sell these, let me know :P
Wysiwygler

Telefone_529
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Telefone_529 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:59 pm

jsleeio wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 am
IMG_1473.jpeg

I always was one of the people who thought NLC panels were kinda ugly. My how you've proven me wrong! Gorgeous setup! Did you diy it all yourself? How hard were the builds? I'm not new to soldering but smt still intimidates me a lot.

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:29 am

Telefone_529 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:59 pm
Did you diy it all yourself? How hard were the builds? I'm not new to soldering but smt still intimidates me a lot.
nah the Voice & Action panels and Cluster were assembled by andrewF, and the Res EQ by negativspace. The only parts I DIYed in this system were the 42hp 1U mults, the 1U RCA tile (for connecting the spring reverb tank) and the panning mixer in the bottom right corner

Return to “Eurorack Modules”