TipTop Z-DSP vs Happy Nerding FX Aid

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

glennfin
Ultra Wiggler

Re: TipTop Z-DSP vs Happy Nerding FX Aid

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:01 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:50 am
Z-DSP is very, very overrated and way too big for what it offers. Gotta hate having to mess with the cards (and the immense cost of them), and each card only has a few programs. It overdrives really easy too, never had that problem with fx aid..

it was one of my first purchases in euro and one that i don't think back very fondly on, especially spending so much money, first on the unit and then on the cards.. the only thing cool with it was the two custom made cards i had done for it with some algos from the web, there was one really nice glitch effect there that liked. There's absolutely zero reasons to purchase it over the mucn more versatile and tons cheaper FX aid, IMO.

The kind of dedication in terms of updates for this module should be supported by everyone, it's exactly what the euro "scene" needs. He could easily have made us purchase these new effects, if he was greedy.
Same here... got rid of my zdsp... now have 2 fx aid xl with another on the way. Great fx, super support, no need to mess with the extra expense of cards and the hassle of programming. In another thread i voted the FX aid "module of the year".

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm

I replaced my Z-DSP with an FX Aid XL, following some advice on this forum, and on balance am really happy with that decision, but I only have a small rack, so space is a premium.

What I like about the FX Aid
- A growing list of algorithms, some of which are excellent
- Can store 32 algos at a time, in any order
- Sample rate is controlled by CV, not by clocking to a pulse (as with the Z-DSP) This is very useful as I don't have any VCOs which go much above 12kHz so was hard to get a good range (yes, yes, clock multipliers exist, but not very stable)

Things I miss about the Z-DSP
- More consistently good quality algorithms
- Ability to patch into the feedback path, and control levels with CV
- Ability to send a trigger to step through the algos (actually I don't miss this very much, but it would be awesome in the FX AID because you can manually configure the banks of algorithms in any order)

maru_secrets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maru_secrets » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 am

I just got my FX Aid XL...sounds killer. Does yours have all sorts of artifacting going on when you manually turn the knobs? When I try to 'play' mine, a lot of times I get unwanted crackling.

Cheers

JohnLRice
Common Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:36 am

dahliafae wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:50 pm
Hi friends! I need an amazing eurorack reverb. I currently have a FX Aid and like it, but I'm starting to have interest in the Z-DSP (+Valhalla cards). Is the Z-DSP well worth it for the larger size and cost? How does FX Aid and Z-DSP compare, sound-wise?

Please let me know, thank you!(=
Maybe consider keeping the FX Aid and adding a TipTop ZVERB (or maybe Z5000 if you want reverbs plus echos and modulations too)? I often like to run two different reverbs in series or parallel to get much deeper and or varied sounds than either is capable by itself. The ZVERB has some programs taken from the Z-DSP processor module and it's only 8 hp so and FX Aid and a ZVRB would still take up a lot less space than a Z-DSP by itself and it's only $200. Give the demos a listen and see what you think.
https://tiptopaudio.com/zverb-echoz-z5000/
I'm back, hanging my head in shame . . . I tried but I couldn't stay away! I was lurking daily anyway! :despair: :spin: :help: :banana: :bang: :hyper: :doh:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Good thread! I never got an FX Aid since I've never been able to find one in the US. I have both of Tiptop's new FX units, ZVERB and ECHOZ and really like them. Always wanted a Z-DSP, but I don't like the idea of having to change cards—I'd rather just have everything immediately available. I missed out on a super-deal here from another member and have never been able to find one near that price again, so I got cold feet on the whole Z-DSP deal.

I finally bought an Eventide Black Hole pedal for end-of-chain and I think it's awesome—the most reverb-ey effects pedal I own. Also have a Source Audio Collider which has been married to my Waldorf Quantum for a while, also very good. Still thinking about getting a Strymon Night Sky someday, but the Black Hole has been so good, it's reduced the GAS for the Strymon significantly.

maru_secrets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maru_secrets » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:23 pm

FX Aids are on Reverb (website) got mine shipped from Paris. Took almost 2 weeks to get here but thats OK. I'm happy with it, just trying to work around the artifacts :)

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am

TVNoel wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm
- Ability to send a trigger to step through the algos (actually I don't miss this very much, but it would be awesome in the FX AID because you can manually configure the banks of algorithms in any order)
Good news for you then:

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 am

Exit Chamber wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am
TVNoel wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm
Good news for you then:
Oh, wow, I hadn't spotted this, thank you!

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 am

TVNoel wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 am
Oh, wow, I hadn't spotted this, thank you!
:tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”