You want to buy a ____? Don't.

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

You want to buy a ____? Don't.

Post by radiokoala »

Problem: You only have a simple LPF (or two) and your sister's nanny's grandma has an MMF. You want a multi-mode filter to be like that cool elderly girl down the block.
Be safe in this situation. Take an attenuverter–or inverter + attenuator–and patch your audio signal (one that goes to filter) to it. Invert it fully, then mix with low-passed filter output. Here you have your HPF, congrats.

Then, as you wake up some morning few nights later, you discover that bandpass filters all of a sudden became the new hotness. You start to cry and feel the urge to call your local state mental health councelor. Worry not: all you actually need is take your previously patched HPF signal and patch it to your second simple low-pass filter. Then, as you adjust the cutoff point on it, you will discover that you actually got something cool: a variable bandwidth.

Now, how many <$400 MMFs can you actually name that have this very adjustable width? All other synthbois on the block are going to be very envious. CONGRATULATIONS – reading this paragraph saved you about 40 monthly Tadjikistan salaries. What a find. :roll:

Anyhow. As we all know, being contented with what one has is never in the human nature. Now you want that NOTCH FILTER, because a neighbour that you hate bought a 10hp one for his dog to play with as a dogbone (rich stinky fuck that has no respect towards EEs :waah:). Okay, we'll settle this out in a min: just take your BPF signal and mix in with inverted non-filtered original audio. Holy moly! What's this? Notch? For $0? Fantastic. :party:

:bananallama:

Problem: You have a couple of 12dB filters but want a 24dB one (or 36dB because you prefer going your own way, or 48dB, because you really want these damn frequencies by the cutoff point to be most close to inaudible, I mean these frequencies may have rained onto the mini-parade you had in your cornflakes, I don't know the full backstory).
Set two (three; seven; twenty two) of your filters to the same cutoff point. These may all be HPFs, LPFs, BPFs et al – doesn't matter. So you take the 12dB filter out (say LP) and patch it to another 12dB filter. 12+12=24. Do it one more time, and 12×3=36 dB/Oct Slope. Actually you can even mix different filters: LPs with HPFs to get some interesting bandpass curves like 48dB on one side and 12dB on another. Playing with the bandwidth can yield some interesting responses, too, likely not found anywhere else.

Then, of course, you'll need to mult your CV and/or V/Oct signal that is supposed to go to a filter for that slope steepness to be maintained right, else your XdB number will be jumping back and forth. The little inconvenience you may encounter is willing to play with the Cutoff (adjusting manually), but not being able to do it since you don't have 3 (or 7, of 22) hands plus that will ruin your setup (all filters set to to more or less the same frequency).

Easily solved: mult your +5 or +10V manual DC offset (preferrably through a buffered mult) and patch to all filters' CV ins. Voila! This can (and must) work as a macro oscillator control, too: both for fine tuning or transposing. The only thing to be aware of: if some of those have wonky v/oct adjustment (or plain poor tracking), compared to other ones, you may be jumping semitones or cents with huge offsets. On the other hand, a little bit of detuning could be cool too! B-)

Problem: Your daughter doesn't have what she calls a “harmonic oscillator” and wants to use for some mystical “additive” synthesis. At that, everyone and their pelican (read: all classmates of hers) do own some Xaoc Odessa, or Tides Parasite, or Telharmonic. She does have a bunch of DIY sine wave oscillators she's acquired by circuit-bending a microwave oven, though.
All good news there, bud: we–or rather you and your daughter, because I'm not travelling this far to Minessota!–have all the essential components of success to show the little scallywags who really is the Princess of VC Additive.

What we will do here is, again, patch a DC offset (preferrably mixed in also with a sequence or keyboard or CV mouthharp control voltage) to several of our sine oscillators (say, four for some simple additive fun, or nine for some TRUE ORGAN ANALOG-sTYLe emulation) and then mix all these together (through individual attenuators or mixer with the knobs). Now, by adjusting the amplitude of each sine, we could sorta emulate the drawbar organ behavior, OR–by patching in some extra envelopes to each sine's VCA control input, if we have something like Quad VCA–and not ordinary–mixer,–we can get that lovely spectral sweeps we'd normally only achieve with huge expensive digital modules like that 24HP (I think?)-wide one by 4ms or the aforementioned Odessa.

One thing that I forgot to mention is you'll need to look up the organ (or common additive synth) wave ratios like 16, 5⅓, 2⅔, etc, and calculate all of this mathematically (simplest are 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, which are all just one octave apart, so you could even take the -1 and/or -2 Octave Sub of something like SSF Spectrum and care less about tuning these two at least; they will perfectly track pitch in their strong siamese-kind of I-follow-you bond). The only thing I do not 100% recall is if Spectrum has a sine wave sub (or Square like most), but I just used it as an example, and there are (exclusively or switchable) sine SUB wave oscillators in Euro – real talk. :smoke: Oh, and if “mathematically” scares you far too much, I'm sure someone somewhere has info on the right semitones. (Alas, not me, but your pal Google will assist!) Plus, you can do it all by ear, so that your daughter can have the most nonconvential additive synth ever and make classmates curdle, stiffen and congeal in awe.

So there you have it. Some fiddly and not the most easily patchable fun, but fun nonetheless, and “your own additive synth” at that, too, and $500 saving fun, too!!!

Bonus problem: You have that Delay module with Time CV, but, hey, you are so duffy and capricious you want that CHORUS MODULE NOW to satisfy all your wow & flutter quests and searches???
SOLUTION: patch an LFO to attenuator. Out to Delay CV. LFO Rate is your SPEED now and Att is DEPTH. With nothing but two simplest modules your 3-knob vanilla delay transforms into a 5-knob chorus, all almost like marrying the Hulk and one day waking up with Claudia Schiffer. :love: Plus, you can also get crayzee with tri, square or wavetable LFO shapes – I bet your stompboxes feel far-too-normie and inutile now.

Yours sincerely,
your man Igor.

PS: Ask me if you want to buy a ____ (or __) and I may dissuade you or explain how you already have that. (Manufacturers, don't be mad. :love:)

:boat:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: You want to buy a ____? Don't.

Post by mdoudoroff »

A+
Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank »

:hail:

All my friends have these super fancy dual peak filters, heck, the guy next door even has a FOUR peak filter!
Please talk me out of buying a Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator.
MDurden
Common Wiggler

Post by MDurden »

radiokoala wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:34 pm
PS: Ask me if you want to buy a ____ (or __) and I may dissuade you or explain how you already have that. (Manufacturers, don't be mad. :love:)

I want to buy a Waldorf Iridium. Help pls
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

Tone wheel organs have synchronized wave tables. It would probably sound more like the Pasco educational toy that teaches the Fourier series with a bunch of analog circuits sending sine waves to volume faders. Anyway cool post. Sorry to nit pick it. Thanks for sharing. I laughed at the metasonix style humor.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

Wait, you're going to build an Odessa from individual oscillators? 2,560 of them? All perfectly in tune and calibrated and able to handle linear TZFM, as well as the "Spread" detuning? And a giant unity mixer? And however many VCAs it takes to replicate all the macro control?

Code does some things a lot more practically than patching... the key is to find the level at which it makes sense for you to make things patchable, and do that.
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

MDurden wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:18 pm
radiokoala wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:34 pm

I want to buy a Waldorf Iridium. Help pls
It's a very troublesome situation you found yourself trapped into: by all accounts that thing looks like an actual money saver. I found on the Waldorf website that it can store 7,000 patches whereas your normal Eurorack synthesizer can only about 0 to 1 (zero If If plugs are loose and you accidentally drop it on the floor or otherwise turn upside down). As such, it would require about 7,000 your normal Eurorack synthesizers to store as many patches as Iridium. Mine is roughly $5000 in close to 9U, so that would require 5000×7000=$35 Million USD to emulate the same functionality with Eurorack, and that monster synth would also be Nebraska-sized, to boot.

(Sorry, this isn't the reply you've been waiting for. Somewhat reassuring still!)

:moneyburn: :popcorn:

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

starthief wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:30 pm Wait, you're going to build an Odessa from individual oscillators? 2,560 of them? All perfectly in tune and calibrated and able to handle linear TZFM, as well as the "Spread" detuning? And a giant unity mixer? And however many VCAs it takes to replicate all the macro control?

Code does some things a lot more practically than patching... the key is to find the level at which it makes sense for you to make things patchable, and do that.
Some people are going to buy 7000 Euroracks to imitate Iridium, so 2560 Odessas..? Pfft, hold my bear as I am reaching to my wallet.

:animal:

:trampoline:

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

Schrank wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:16 pm :hail:

All my friends have these super fancy dual peak filters, heck, the guy next door even has a FOUR peak filter!
Please talk me out of buying a Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator.
BTW dual peak filters are essential in gutteral voice synthesis (a.k.a. vowel synthesis) and can do some nice talking bass kind of patches but if you want to rock it like yours truly (a.k.a. me, who doesn't have Klangbau Twin Peak and squeezed out the below-embedded audio snippet with nothing but a single peak VCF), there is this trick that can save you money and still get some speechy mumbling melody licks: try fast Square wave LFO as filter modulator, if fast enough, it can emulate the dual reso action. (Much like your energy-saving LED lamps, they only light up for 10-40–sometimes higher, but not 100–% of time, yet at the rate in kHz you can't recognize them “blinking”).

Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

That was entertaining and informative:)
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

Thx a bunch, Transistor!

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to your newest tracks. :tu: Starting with Engines for Mind Control was straight so very right move (nice one, with a little bit of early 2000s nostalgia), and Lab Conflict blew my mind a little, like these kind of fast-paced beats filled with all sorts of drum roll on a drum roll on a drum roll snare and hi-hat fills. Sort of Drum & Bass meets Breakbeat Remix of Richard Devine, or how do I put it best. Been rewatching Stranger Things season 1 about this weekend, so most spot on thematic title. And plain like the production on it. (Listening 2nd time in a row now). INTENSE! :drums:

evs wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm Please continue❤️
Oh, thanks, I have at least two more out the top of my head, so some will follow... Appreciate da LUV! :sb:
mdoudoroff wrote:A+
Haha, brief and concise. Got me smilin'! Cheers x TY, too :beer:

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

EATyourGUITAR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm Tone wheel organs have synchronized wave tables. It would probably sound more like the Pasco educational toy that teaches the Fourier series with a bunch of analog circuits sending sine waves to volume faders. Anyway cool post. Sorry to nit pick it. Thanks for sharing. I laughed at the metasonix style humor.
Wavetables, you say? What about Hammond ones, though? :razz: Heheh. Mainly referring to those. But, yeah, I mean, all in all good remark. Pasco toys to teach Fourier series? Sounds cool. Can't imagine coming upon one anywhere in my country, may be more of a US thing. But interesting. Were those like, some actual workshop assistance tool in schools or universities, or more like electronics enthusiast thing you buy at RadioShack and show and explain to your kids? Nitpicking's fine, all good info. 8-)

PS. Re:“would sound like” – if anyone actually tries that and can record and share, I'm keen to hear that. Gotta be something fun, whatever comes of it!

cinnatoastg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg »

Great post. Good to see you again radiokoala.
paterursus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by paterursus »

I honestly could have used this thread four years ago. And three years ago. And a month ago. Thank you. Bookmarked.
Wiggling in the 16th century
JES
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JES »

Great thread. Please keep going.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23
ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy »

paterursus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:27 pm I honestly could have used this thread four years ago. And three years ago. And a month ago. Thank you. Bookmarked.
Yes, more please!

I am very much trial and error, jack things in, wiggle knobs until something sounds good. So these threads are gold for me.
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

I want to buy a Drezno and Lipsk, but only have a uh... I have a bunch of stuff.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

***Note: if you're reading a post of mine, there is a 45.67% chance I asked a stupid question because I got excited and didn't properly google something.
M01C
Common Wiggler

Post by M01C »

Yes! Let me be a proud member of the "Modular Fundamentalism Militia"

(Please do Rings :hihi:)
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

radiokoala wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:52 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm Tone wheel organs have synchronized wave tables. It would probably sound more like the Pasco educational toy that teaches the Fourier series with a bunch of analog circuits sending sine waves to volume faders. Anyway cool post. Sorry to nit pick it. Thanks for sharing. I laughed at the metasonix style humor.
Wavetables, you say? What about Hammond ones, though? :razz: Heheh. Mainly referring to those. But, yeah, I mean, all in all good remark. Pasco toys to teach Fourier series? Sounds cool. Can't imagine coming upon one anywhere in my country, may be more of a US thing. But interesting. Were those like, some actual workshop assistance tool in schools or universities, or more like electronics enthusiast thing you buy at RadioShack and show and explain to your kids? Nitpicking's fine, all good info. 8-)

PS. Re:“would sound like” – if anyone actually tries that and can record and share, I'm keen to hear that. Gotta be something fun, whatever comes of it!
Yes I am talking about Hammond tone wheel organs such as the B3. It is a metal wheel that stores the wavetable in a continuous cam profile %100 electro mechanical analog. Because the tone wheels are all permanently attached to a solid steel shaft they are all locked in phase together. This is the distinction with a bunch of sine wave oscillators in eurorack that are not phase locked. Funny thing about it though is I just found out the Pasco model 9307A is all phase locked like the Hammond so that is closer to the Hammond than a bunch of unlocked euro oscillators. We can take the Pasco out of the analogy all together.

Pasco model 9307A
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck »

Whatever it is that you do, don't
diller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diller »

EATyourGUITAR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:01 pm
radiokoala wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:52 pm

Yes I am talking about Hammond tone wheel organs such as the B3. It is a metal wheel that stores the wavetable in a continuous cam profile %100 electro mechanical analog. Because the tone wheels are all permanently attached to a solid steel shaft they are all locked in phase together. This is the distinction with a bunch of sine wave oscillators in eurorack that are not phase locked. Funny thing about it though is I just found out the Pasco model 9307A is all phase locked like the Hammond so that is closer to the Hammond than a bunch of unlocked euro oscillators. We can take the Pasco out of the analogy all together.

Pasco model 9307A
Tone generators in a tonewheel are not permanently attached to a steel shaft to keep them locked in phase. They have spring couplings between every single stage and are designed this way so if for some reason a stage is stuck all the other stages work like nothing ever happened but resulting from this they can never stay perfectly locked in phase. I'm sure that's what you meant which was the exact opposite of what you said. Feel free to completely dodge this correction with a lengthy post with a bunch of name drops and youtube links. Or voice displeasures that someone is targeting you because they had to correct you, yet again.
EATyourGUITAR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm Anyway cool post. Sorry to nit pick it. Thanks for sharing. I laughed at the metasonix style humor.
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

M01C wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:30 pm Yes! Let me be a proud member of the "Modular Fundamentalism Militia"

(Please do Rings :hihi:)
Rings is actually pretty complex in terms of what's going under (as is also, and to greater extent, Elements), so that would be rather hard getting as convincing of the real world instruments' sounds by going the ol' fashioned analog subtractive synthesis path (unless the operator has good sound design chops and resorts to some kind of clever use of synthesis techniques), but getting the very convincing bells may well be possible with simpler arsenal of tools like a pair of oscillators FM'in each other. So might wanna sit with exploratorily tweaking these some evenings prior to buying, if these types of sound are what you intend to use it for primarily. :) As a sound processor, it's more like you can't really do the same with dumpster bin component-grade cheap waveshaping circuitry you solder mid-lunch break, so for all these kinds of granular/resonator/waveguide processing these more expensive dsp tools def have their place! (Rings is pretty cheap second hand, too :smoke:).

Here is this patch I did as an example (it's a module listed as Sputnik 258c on ModularGrid) and one more to show another type of (more soothing ambient) sound one may be looking for with specific modules like Plonk, Clouds, Rainmaker, Bell and others, but that is doable and by all means achievable with more edgier and raw-sounding analog oscillators like DWG (a.k.a. 258c, or Dual Waveform Generator) as well, oftentimes even without taming their inner “harsh” with LPFs or LPGs. Just for the fun of it: sounds in 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) embed are all the same oscillator! (Well, actually all four of them).

In the latest example one part of my Sputnik Dual was modded to have a separate TRI out, you can read more about it in this thread.

Wanna buy a (new something)..? Mod what you already have! :cloud: 😎

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

BTW, most impressed with how this got almost 1000 views overnight.

:drinking: :w00t:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”