VoiceModuleForRap/HipHop/Soul... Recommendations

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

VoiceModuleForRap/HipHop/Soul... Recommendations

Post by SirDuB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Hey I am hoping for some advice.
I require a synth voice module, I have up to 30HP allotted in the rack.
The rack is in an educational environment.
Imagine Erykah Badu and Missy Elliot are co-teaching musicianship to a class full of 15 year old girls, and that would be the right vibe.

This synth voice module will join the Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or, I already have this unit.
As an example of where my head's been at with this rack, a while back I ordered a System80 810 to fill this role, but that unit is currently unavailable.
(Evidently that damn virus/pandemic has altered the global supply chain of crucial parts and production is suspended, hence now I gotta go in a different direction.)

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on how I should proceed?
I'm open to more than one module but the 30HP limitation is set in stone.
And don't worry about drums, I've got that covered in the Assimil8or and elsewhere.
What I'm really missing is bass & leads.
Budget is a non-issue.

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate this.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Re: VoiceModuleForRap/HipHop/Soul... Recommendations

Post by Pyrrhix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:30 pm

For a single voice geared toward bass and leads in under 30HP, I think the Doepfer A-111-5 would be a great choice. It has some old school character to my ears that may fit your genre preferences.
De gustibus non est disputandum
https://bodytenant.bandcamp.com

emojiseq
Common Wiggler

Post by emojiseq » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:47 pm

SirDuB wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 pm
Imagine Erykah Badu and Missy Elliot are co-teaching musicianship to a class full of 15 year old girls, and that would be the right vibe.

This synth voice module will join the Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or, I already have this unit.
As an example of where my head's been at with this rack, a while back I ordered a System80 810 to fill this role, but that unit is currently unavailable.
(Evidently that damn virus/pandemic has altered the global supply chain of crucial parts and production is suspended, hence now I gotta go in a different direction.)

And don't worry about drums, I've got that covered in the Assimil8or and elsewhere.
Budget is a non-issue.

I have an 810 feel free to hmu

etckla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by etckla » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:55 am

I'm sure you've got reasons for this approach, but eurorack feels like a very complex and constrained way to teach kids who want to make rap, hip hop or soul.

Id be thinking about software or something like Roland Verselab for something more immediate and accessible

Thats my 2 cents anyway

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am

whats with all these folks who think modules are made for certain genres 🤔

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:36 pm

I think a Moog style filter would be the only requirement here. I can’t think of an entire Moog voice in your hp requirements off the top of my head but I’m sure there’s plenty of ways you could approach this.

Also want to second the comment about modular being the least friendly way to teach fifteen year olds about synthesis. Starting with fixed architecture is, to me, a prerequisite for getting the most out of modular systems.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Cwejman BLD-2 for bass and lead. It also does kick drums.

But seriously you should buy an old Korg Triton, Triton studio, Triton extreme. Some of them have a mic preamp with a sampler. You can get a synthesizer expansion card MOSS board. this was pretty standard for hip-hop and soul. Around 2000 people started using esx for sampled strings in logic on the Mac. This replaced the strings in the Triton. A lot of hiphop was made on the MPC2000 with a turntable connected to a phono preamp going to the line input. I knew some producers. They used the more expensive versions of the MPC2000 with a CD burner. There was a Roger Linn version. JJOS is a common software upgrade. RZA used the roland MV8000 or MV8800 that had the phono preamp built in. Timbaland used open labs meko or Neko depending if it was on the tour bus or in the studio. Dr Dre used a Moog model D.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

skoolafish
Learning to Wiggle

Post by skoolafish » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:50 pm

im centered around the same genres. for badu im thinking rhodes...physical modeling module? i have qu-bit surface and can get soulful keys and roy ayers-ish tings from it. for hip hop it depends on which lane. im more boom bap, meaning nothing is safe from being sampled, so any sound source works. i could do the vocal glitchy stuff like on dilla donuts, or completly mangle samples with morphagene.

the sound of the module you tried to order, from youtube vids sounds like can be substituted with a whole lot of different things. to my ears, could be wrong. if youre doing the current style of hip hop, i have no clue

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:06 am

Pyrrhix wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:30 pm
For a single voice geared toward bass and leads in under 30HP, I think the Doepfer A-111-5 would be a great choice. It has some old school character to my ears that may fit your genre preferences.
Thanks for this Pyrrhix, this Doepfer unit looks perfect and I'll spend some time listening to it on YouTube over the weekend.

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:06 am

etckla wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:55 am
I'm sure you've got reasons for this approach, but eurorack feels like a very complex and constrained way to teach kids who want to make rap, hip hop or soul.

Id be thinking about software or something like Roland Verselab for something more immediate and accessible

Thats my 2 cents anyway
Agreed yeah, I'm with you on that. The reasoning is the students are likely to have their own inexpensive consumer level gear to use on their own time, when they are home and away from this educational environment. In this respect we are introducing them to the world of Eurorack to compliment whatever gear they already own, IOS apps and all the low cost synths and drum machines that are now commonly available.

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:07 am

moremagic wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am
Fair enough, I agree with you, one can make anything with anything. It takes skills and experience/wisdom to do that though. I'm sure if an Acidlab M303, for example, is installed in the rack, a lot of great music will be made. But it wouldn't be ideal for this specific hypothetical use case, yeah? If students are encouraged to remake music they already know and love as a learning method before they tackle their own original compositions, an Acidlab M303 would be wonderful if a Richie Hawtin or a Paul kalkbrenner type of musician is teaching them. This would be an entirely different class, students, and vibe.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:36 am

SirDuB wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:07 am
moremagic wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am
Fair enough, I agree with you, one can make anything with anything. It takes skills and experience/wisdom to do that though. I'm sure if an Acidlab M303, for example, is installed in the rack, a lot of great music will be made. But it wouldn't be ideal for this specific hypothetical use case, yeah? If students are encouraged to remake music they already know and love as a learning method before they tackle their own original compositions, an Acidlab M303 would be wonderful if a Richie Hawtin or a Paul kalkbrenner type of musician is teaching them. This would be an entirely different class, students, and vibe.
if a novice mountain climber asked which of the himalayas they should climb , would your answer be everest or k2 🤔

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:39 am

Dragonaut wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:36 pm
I think a Moog style filter would be the only requirement here. I can’t think of an entire Moog voice in your hp requirements off the top of my head but I’m sure there’s plenty of ways you could approach this.

Also want to second the comment about modular being the least friendly way to teach fifteen year olds about synthesis. Starting with fixed architecture is, to me, a prerequisite for getting the most out of modular systems.
Thanks for this Dragonaut, Moog style is an awesome way to go about it, and I didn't think of this. And like you said, there's tons of ways to go about it, as so many firms make Moog modules.

Regarding the blatantly counter intuitive request here of these genres with Eurorack. I'm with you 100%. They will all have their own fixed architecture gear as well. Eurorack will be new to them, so I look at this rack as more of a gateway drug. I'd like them to be able to experient in Eurorack with sonic tools that already feel a tiny bit familiar. Hopefully there is value in meeting them where they already are with their enthusiasm for rap/soul. Ideally, in a perfect world, what I would like is to set an example and provide tools for them to not aspire to be rappers, but redefine their goals and then work to become sound designers, recording engineers, and/or music making entrepreneurs within the music industry.

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:57 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm
Cwejman BLD-2 for bass and lead. It also does kick drums.

But seriously you should buy an old Korg Triton, Triton studio, Triton extreme. Some of them have a mic preamp with a sampler. You can get a synthesizer expansion card MOSS board. this was pretty standard for hip-hop and soul. Around 2000 people started using esx for sampled strings in logic on the Mac. This replaced the strings in the Triton. A lot of hiphop was made on the MPC2000 with a turntable connected to a phono preamp going to the line input. I knew some producers. They used the more expensive versions of the MPC2000 with a CD burner. There was a Roger Linn version. JJOS is a common software upgrade. RZA used the roland MV8000 or MV8800 that had the phono preamp built in. Timbaland used open labs meko or Neko depending if it was on the tour bus or in the studio. Dr Dre used a Moog model D.
Haaaa! Yeah I know that Cwejman unit, its sublime and your right of course but perhaps I misspoke regarding budget, unfortunately the ballooning prices of post- Rest In Peace Cwejman is not possible at the moment. But yeah, that BLD-2 would be tremendous.

And yeah all of that hardware you've listed would be the best way to get all of this done but I just don't have the room for any of it. I appreciate the crash course you dropped on me and I will keep thinking about it. Thats the glory days of Hip Hop Hardware right there!..

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:07 am

emojiseq wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:47 pm
SirDuB wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Budget is a non-issue.

I have an 810 feel free to hmu
Very cool, I will email you back over the weekend.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:37 am

i dont own either of these modules and have never used them, but ive been thinking of a cool voice from Mutable Plaits + SSF Triptych. You would have 4hp left over, maybe a function generator/slew would go well

My thought is you would get versatility from Plaits, and sound design/playability from Triptych... this would warm up the Plaits’ vibe a lot and could also be used with the other instruments they have(something i do a lot with my eurorack)

mat1
Common Wiggler

Post by mat1 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 am

I think you'll struggle to get a convincing Rap/Hip hop sound out of a Euro system.

Have you considered picking up a recent MPC? That's a workflow that is still relevant to music you can hear on the radio right now.

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am

mat1 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 am
I think you'll struggle to get a convincing Rap/Hip hop sound out of a Euro system.

Have you considered picking up a recent MPC? That's a workflow that is still relevant to music you can hear on the radio right now.
People are making rap, r&b and hip hop with eurorack all day. As far as a more successful artist goes James Blake comes to mind.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am

mat1 wrote:

You can do CR-78 or 808 sounds

Remember when missy Elliott sampled Cybertron?

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:06 am

skoolafish wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:50 pm
im centered around the same genres. for badu im thinking rhodes...physical modeling module? i have qu-bit surface and can get soulful keys and roy ayers-ish tings from it. for hip hop it depends on which lane. im more boom bap, meaning nothing is safe from being sampled, so any sound source works. i could do the vocal glitchy stuff like on dilla donuts, or completly mangle samples with morphagene.

the sound of the module you tried to order, from youtube vids sounds like can be substituted with a whole lot of different things. to my ears, could be wrong. if youre doing the current style of hip hop, i have no clue
Rhodes makes a ton of sense, thank you for this concreteness. And Roy Ayers-esque is spot on perfect for this. I would probably love your music. Agreed on modern day hip hop, I hate to sound like an old man but I just can't enjoy much of it and I arrogantly consider the lions share of it an awkward evolution of the genre and I'll be grateful when we can finally move on from the auto-tune mumbled everything and triplets era. I'm being unfair and "get off my lawnish', there is also great music as well, hopefully some of Kendrick Lamar's vibe might rub off on the rest of the generation and further remain a positive influence hip hops never ending evolution.

So for you maybe you've inspired me to re edit my original question at the start of this thread, something like; Adrian Younge dips his toe in Eurorack and introduces a little skiff into his laboratory, and after he's got a few effects and utilities covered and wants to get at least one voice in the rig, what would work best for him? You think maybe I should just pre-order Black Corporation's Rachael and be done with it? This even leaves an outstanding extra 16HP as a cherry on top to sweeten the deal in other ways. Could be good.

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 am

mat1 wrote:

Certainly out of the 5K+ currently available eurorack modules listed on ModularGrid I can provide the kids with a piece of hardware that'll give them some synth riffs to put together a Neo-Soul type track.

Some of the kids are liable to have their own MPC's and some will not, those that do will definitely carry those types of instruments in and use them in class. But there is no permanent physical room for this type of hardware. Also, looking forward to introducing new learners to the Eurorack world.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Music Thing Radio Music packed full of random jazz, blues and movie soundtrack samples can be fun to play with for hip-hop stuff.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Disting ex is basically a midi sound module if you wire up that midi jack on the back.

chriddler
Common Wiggler

Post by chriddler » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:15 pm

If you've not seen Ricky Tinez on the Youtubes, he might be worth a look, as he does the young people's hippetty hop rap music:
My Eurorack (the Neutron isn't racked btw!) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1577670

SirDuB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SirDuB » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:36 pm

Oh man this is great!
Thank you all so much!
Thank you for these new ways to think about what I am setting out to accomplish.
You've given me some robust homework and this is exactly what I need at this moment.
I am the quintessential fully engaged lurker who never posts.
And Ive learned a ton from many of you over the years.

Hey this went pretty well, maybe I oughta post more often and join the lively dialog like a normal person, haaa!
Thanks again ModMuffs...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”