Is It Bad Form To Try Out A Module, And Then Return It?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DaytimeBender
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Is It Bad Form To Try Out A Module, And Then Return It?

Post by DaytimeBender » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 am

It's refered to as 'wardrobing' and technically falls under the fraud umbrella. Retailers don't exist as a rental or demo service. People keep brining up the restocking fee, but the fee probably doesn't fully cover the retailer's expenses in shipping, devaluation of the module to an open box product, and the man hours to ship and process the original order, communicate with you to setup and process the return, then relist an open box item. Extra expenses are just going to go into the retailer's shrink and overhead. And to cover that, they will raise margins on everyone.

Further I really hope that retailers aren't reselling used modules as new. If I'm paying the extra couple bucks for a new module, I don't want to get one that someone already used for a month. I take care of my modules, who knows if return guy did. If I wanted a used module, I'd just buy a used module and end up paying less for it.

IMO if you buy a module and don't like it after using it for awhile, that's on you. You should have better informed yourself before purchasing. If it's defective or if it doesn't operate as it's described that's one thing. If you end up not liking the module, then you should get on reverb and sell it as used.
My Tracks: DaytimeBender

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am

Eurocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm
I actually buy synths from Amazon and keep them for a month, sample all the sounds and send it back. I’ve done this at least 25x this year.
Is that really true? You must be a very valued customer. Amazon tend to close accounts long, long before anyone makes that many returns.
I made this techno remix of an ambient/downtempo track. 🧉

Black
Learning to Wiggle

re: Is It Bad Form To Try Out A Module, And Then Return It?

Post by Black » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 pm

lisa wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:59 am
Eurocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm
I actually buy synths from Amazon and keep them for a month, sample all the sounds and send it back. I’ve done this at least 25x this year.
Is that really true? You must be a very valued customer. Amazon tend to close accounts long, long before anyone makes that many returns.
Don't feed…

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm

The best part of threads like these is seeing who you don't want to sell to or buy from.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 pm

KSS wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm
The best part of threads like these is seeing who you don't want to sell to or buy from.
:yay:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

acidhead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acidhead » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:52 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:29 pm
Don’t listen to the people who say it’s wrong. This is part of having a business. It’s totally fine to try it out and see if it’s what you need and fits your sound.
What business do you run?

biggerovski
Common Wiggler

Post by biggerovski » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Right?!
I mean, I get it because most stores offer really generous return terms, but I feel like more businesses should implement a restocking fee if the module has been racked or shows signs of heavy use.
I can tell you this: modular shops don't get into this field to make money, they do it because they absolutely LOVE it.
Like records and book stores, it's a painfully low margin business.
Do you return a record or a book because you didn't like it?
acidhead wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:52 pm
Eurocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:29 pm
Don’t listen to the people who say it’s wrong. This is part of having a business. It’s totally fine to try it out and see if it’s what you need and fits your sound.
What business do you run?

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Never mind ~Emily Litella
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”