Instruo CS-L is the Ultimate Complex Oscillator..AMAZING

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rhampton
Learning to Wiggle

Instruo CS-L is the Ultimate Complex Oscillator..AMAZING

Post by rhampton » Fri May 14, 2021 10:18 am

I just picked this up a few days ago. Absolutely amazing Oscillator. Here's my 1st open box Video. Little Humor in the beginning but a minute or 2 in the Video i get to some serious patching...lol...Hope you enjoy......................

chriddler
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruo CS-L is the Ultimate Complex Oscillator..AMAZING

Post by chriddler » Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks for this, I'm hankering after a complex osc and this is one of the options that I'm considering. I did actually laugh out loud when you zoomed back out and there was nothing there :)
My Eurorack (the Neutron isn't racked btw!) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1577670

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm

I've been using Cš-L as my primary oscillator for a couple years now, and it really allows for so many possibilities. It really was a great choice for me.

Fun video, thanks for sharing!

studioutopia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sat May 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Congrats @rhampton!
I've had Cš-L for almost 2 years. It was my first Complex Oscillator.
It now has a number of friends, the MkIII versions of Piston Honda and Hertz Donut, the Intellijel Complex Oscillator trio (Dixie2+/Rubicon2/Bifold), and Frap Tools Brenso.
While Brenso is my favourite, the Cš-L is a monster. Even though it isn't capable of thru-zero FM - the routing matrix, Ring/AM/Rectifier, and dual wavefolders give it some real superpowers. And the two different cores give it a sound like nothing else when using FM or the Ring/AM/Rectifier.
Where most other Complex Oscillators are built in a very linear "Modulator->Carrier->Folder/Shaper/Timbre" structure, Cš-L doesn't have a start or a finish. It just screams to be self-patched and cross-modulated.

Try this:
Tune the upper VCO to C3. The lower to C4.
Patch the two wavefolder outputs (FINAL), each to their side of the Ring modulator. patch Multiply (output) to your mixer.
Then send LFOs to the wavefolders and symmetry inputs*. once you get that sounding good...
Increase Linear FM to the lower VCO (normalled to the upper VCO).
Patch an LFO to the upper FM input and add 1-2% linear FM to that VCO.

*You could also use the Modulation Bus to send one LFO to all the symmetry and wavefolders at once, and use the wavefolder attenuverters to adjust the impact of the modulation bus for each folder.

Also try self-patching waveform outputs from one VCO to the symmetry or wavefolder CV inputs of the opposite VCO.

Enjoy!!!

ŘłB23³
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ŘłB23³ » Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:29 pm
Congrats @rhampton!
It now has a number of friends, the MkIII versions of Piston Honda and Hertz Donut, the Intellijel Complex Oscillator trio (Dixie2+/Rubicon2/Bifold), and Frap Tools Brenso.
While Brenso is my favourite, the Cš-L is a monster. Even though it isn't capable of thru-zero FM - the routing matrix, Ring/AM/Rectifier, and dual wavefolders give it some real superpowers. And the two different cores give it a sound like nothing else when using FM or the Ring/AM/Rectifier.
Where most other Complex Oscillators are built in a very linear "Modulator->Carrier->Folder/Shaper/Timbre" structure, Cš-L doesn't have a start or a finish. It just screams to be self-patched and cross-modulated.

Try this:
Patch the two wavefolder outputs (FINAL), each to their side of the Ring modulator. patch Multiply (output) to your mixer.
Then send LFOs to the wavefolders and symmetry inputs*. once you get that sounding good...

*You could also use the Modulation Bus to send one LFO to all the symmetry and wavefolders at once, and use the wavefolder attenuverters to adjust the impact of the modulation bus for each folder.

Also try self-patching waveform outputs from one VCO to the symmetry or wavefolder CV inputs of the opposite VCO.

Enjoy!!!
Thank you for the patching suggestions, I've been using one for a few months and it blows me away! I like that the cores are different waveforms as well, just picked up a brenso so I'm still figuring it out. It's a good time to be into synthesis! :yay: :love:
I've msgd jason a few times and hes always super friendly and responsive to emails, what a great guy. Genius! As compared to those dudes at malekko who I cant get to reply to shit, broken modules, too bad you're on your own. :bang: :mad:

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Post by antonriehl » Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Gonna go try these self patching ideas. I like them a lot.
I was patching the Saw output of the top voice into the bottom ring mod, and taking the multiply out. Basically just ring-mod the sine and saw outputs from one voice. I've never heard a Eurorack oscillator sound so close to a raw buchla/serge oscillator from just that simple patch.

rhampton
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhampton » Thu May 20, 2021 12:46 pm

chriddler wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm
Thanks for this, I'm hankering after a complex osc and this is one of the options that I'm considering. I did actually laugh out loud when you zoomed back out and there was nothing there :)
oh no problems at all..i'm blown away by it myself..my 1st complex OSC...i'm still trying to wrap my head on what i can feed into it..i have the Control Forge and i don't just wanna use it as a sequencer but i want to feed all sorts of LFO"s to other inputs..Haven't tried it yet...i'm afraid Voltage damage? is that possible feed any type of LFO into the CS-L? that Rossum Control Forge Spits out some Demonic Voltages...lol...lol.... 8-)

rhampton
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhampton » Thu May 20, 2021 12:47 pm

antonriehl wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm
I've been using Cš-L as my primary oscillator for a couple years now, and it really allows for so many possibilities. It really was a great choice for me.

Fun video, thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the comment...yeah i just got mine from Perfect Circuit Audio about 2 weeks ago now..Loving it...i wanna get that Harmonizer Module they make..Can't think the name of it as of now but that's next on my list

rhampton
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhampton » Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:29 pm
Congrats @rhampton!

Try this:

Enjoy!!!
Ohh i'm liking your post greatly..ok when i get home from work,,i'm gonna try exactly that...Thanks a million..Any suggestions using my Rossum Control Forge? haven't takn advantage of that fully yet..Any ideas?

Snufflepuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:04 pm

rhampton wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:18 am
I just picked this up a few days ago. Absolutely amazing Oscillator. Here's my 1st open box Video. Little Humor in the beginning but a minute or 2 in the Video i get to some serious patching...lol...Hope you enjoy......................

Does the Cs-L have its own Instruo-originated thread? I couldn't find one with the search function. I have a couple questions.

The wavefold amount and symmetry are normal-ed to the master modulation dial, in addition to having their own CV inputs. But the Multiply amount is not nomal-ed to the master modulation dial, despite a squiggle linking it there, nor does it have a CV input. Does this seem like an oversight?

Second, why is the rectify function part of Multiply? I thought rectification is done upon a single wave. What is Multiply doing with both waves together during rectifying -- just rectifying and mixing? Thanks.

studioutopia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Snufflepuff wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:04 pm

Does the Cs-L have its own Instruo-originated thread? I couldn't find one with the search function. I have a couple questions.

The wavefold amount and symmetry are normal-ed to the master modulation dial, in addition to having their own CV inputs. But the Multiply amount is not nomal-ed to the master modulation dial, despite a squiggle linking it there, nor does it have a CV input. Does this seem like an oversight?

Second, why is the rectify function part of Multiply? I thought rectification is done upon a single wave. What is Multiply doing with both waves together during rectifying -- just rectifying and mixing? Thanks.
Not sure about the thread... but there was no original Instruō one.
The wavefolder and symmetry are not normalled to the mod bus, they require you to hold the middle shift button and select the normalizations you want to enable - there are six "virtual modulation connections": two for FM, two for symmetry, and two for the wavefolders. The two FM knobs control the level of FM normalled to the opposite VCO.
The sine waves of each oscillator are normalled to the Multiply function section. This function does two operations:
First it does one of three functions to the upper input:
- Nothing (passes it through to the next operation);
- Half wave rectification - where it strips the waveform of any negative part of its shape
- Full-wave rectification - where it inverts any negative voltage
Then it multiplies (ring modulation or 4-quadrant multiplication) this with the second input.
To see this in action you really need a Mordax DATA.
My favorite setup to leverage the Multiply function is to bypass one or more of the sine normalizations and input one of the core's final outputs into the multiplier and experiment with things like - rectifying the wavefolded output of a VCO, and then multiplying it with the sine wave of the other.... while modulating the wavefolder of the first VCO with the second, and the frequency of the second VCO with the first.
This is where Cš-L really is amazing... the process above requires ONE PATCH CORD.

studioutopia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 pm

for those interested, here are the steps to get this patch:
1. Tune both VCOs to C3 to start.
2. Put a sequence of your choice into the V/Oct input and make sure link is on. This way both VCOs are playing the same relative frequency to each other.
3. Shift button and click the MOD button - this links the sine wave from VCO2 to the wavefolder of VCO1, adjustable via the mod bus INDEX knob and the CV input and attenuverter.
4. Add some Linear FM (switch to LIN) to the lower VCO with the FM knob.
5. Patch the upper VCO final out to the upper input on the multiply section.
6. set the upper wavefolder to about 50%, and the attenuverter for the upper wavefolder to +50% or more.
7. add some INDEX to cause the lower VCO to modulate the upper VCO's wavefolder.
Now that you have each VCO modulating an attribute of the the other VCO - try different rectification modes on the MULTIPLY section; change the wavefolder slider, which is the centrepoint of the mod bus modulation on it; change the level of the mod bus impact on the wavefolder, change the amount of FM to the lower VCO; and try changing the pitch of either VCO to find other sweet-spots (aka ratios) where the FM and modbus sidebands sound good to you.
I love putting the output of this into my Tokyo Tape Music Center TokyoGate LPG to get a warm Buchla bongo arpeggio going.
This is where the Cš-L really shows how magical it is. The only other complex oscillator that can do this "all in the one module" interplay between the two VCOs is Frap Tools Brenso - which has some other really amazing features and functions - but is missing the rectifier and the second wavefolder that makes the Cš-L so special.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”