Mosaic 1U Tile Module Line

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Re: Mosaic 1U Tile Module Line

Post by SlagRalden »

moo_lefty wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:55 am
exper wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 pm The problem with the 1u > 3u adapters is that they turn the module sideways, so labels and pot marking are harder to read. I'd like to see one maybe 24hp or so that holds 3 rows of 1u horizontally.
Would be difficult to make such a thing - the widths of 1u tiles are all variable, whereas the heights aren't. Trying to imagine a contraption to support this - you'd likely need a frame and then mini rails that you can screw in at the right width.

The widths of all modules are variable…. but if you wanted 3 rows then the tiles would have to overlap to fit within 3u (which would be fine if you don’t mind really bad rack rash)
moo_lefty
Common Wiggler

Post by moo_lefty »

I think you missed my point. Agreed on 3 rows being unachievable too.
kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell »

My Mosaic order got here yesterday. I ordered the ADSR and the VCA. both seem like good quality and do what they are supposed to. I'm appreciative that they are shallow enough to sit in the Palette case (the 2HP modules are often a tight squeeze and don't fit on the ends very well). The knobs on the ADSR are a little tight to maneuver, but they are staggered so it is a little easier to adjust than if they were crammed in there. I also liked that the two modules are each 14HP exactly half the size of the Intellijel Quadratt. Good addition to the genre of 1U modules.
lifeofrefinement.com/
greenfly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greenfly »

HI

I want to buy the Line Out module. If anyone knows the answer ti the following questions please let me know.

1- can you plug into the 2nd Gen audio jacks board on the 7u Intellijel cases? I would rather not use power connector from the main bus board as I only have 1 left on there.

2-does the module automatically reduce to line level output or do you have to manually gain stage with the level knob?

I have the mixer and its fine - can do cv and audio mixing with it so a good shout for the 1u area for your case.

For a new line they are non-responsive on Facebook and unless your Richard Devine they don't answer messages lol.

Thanks in advance
Skelecaster
Common Wiggler

Post by Skelecaster »

Anyone pick up any more of these? Thinking about ordering a few for a new 7U case, they look great, just hoping they sound great too!
docile fossil
Common Wiggler

Post by docile fossil »

i could not be more all in for a new line of 1Us, especially since i’m looking at a 4u palette to assist its bigger sister, but i’m less down with the recent (?) reliance on pcb panels. reminds me of plastic guitar pedals like the danelectro line. i have and use a bunch of goofy toys and objects for sound design, and will settle for utility/features over ergonomics/some sense of tactile quality. maybe if those cut manufacturing costs were prominently passed on to the consumer, which is problematic in a (less so, today) niche musical market. or maybe that’s not it — maybe it’s the same relative production costs but easier/faster. i swear i’m not old enough to be this crotchety. 👀

bottom line: zlob, schlappi and xaoc, please jump into the 1u scene.
::/:..:
.:..:\.
paranormind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by paranormind »

Very exciting lineup! Looking forward to hearing more from the Plucked String, but otherwise I'm tempted to buy some of their VCA/mixer with no prior video...
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

Has anyone had a chance to hear the drum modules yet?
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

aadamm wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:36 pm Has anyone had a chance to hear the drum modules yet?
Just listen to demos of the 2hp drum modules. I doubt they are any different, other than the 2hp hats having 2 trigger inputs.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
chriscarter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chriscarter »

I got some of these a couple of weeks ago - the VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, Mixer and Clock and I'm pleased with them. As others have said the knobs are a quite close together (and a few of mine are a bit stiff) but overall a nice build quality and they all sound fine for the price - I'd say 7.5 out of 10.
Today I also got the Delay and Reverb modules. The Delay is OK for it's size but I wish the Freeze button had a trigger input. The Reverb on the other hand doesn't sound good to my ears. OK for the form factor I suppose but a pretty uninspiring sound, similar to the 2hp Reverb - and not a patch on the Intellijel 1U reverb, not even close. Also a shame that it too doesn't have a Trigger input for the neat Loop function.
ultar
Common Wiggler

Post by ultar »

Has anyone here tried the Quantizer? The ability to save custom scales or use it as an arpeggiator is very appealing.
ilmai
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ilmai »

I got the Buffered Mult since it was cheap and I figured I would need one anyway. It’s surprisingly solid for the price, but I have two (minor?) complaints. First of all, I had heard of the Qubit Death Grip but wow these are the tightest jacks I have ever encountered! Secondly, they explicitly mention “Ideal for lossless splitting of audio and pitch signals” but this definitely distorts at voltages beyond roughly +/-10V! That’s obviously not an issue in most use cases, but buyer beware if this is something that might affect your use. Intellijel’s buffered mult doesn’t do the same for example.
ilmai
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ilmai »

I decided to investigate the distortion and this is what I found. I'm boosting a sine wave into the Mosaic 1U Buffered Mult with Veils. Ignore the DC offset as I forgot my scope on AC coupling mode which is what's causing it. The noisy looking wave is also from my scope and not from any modules in the testing setup.

So as you can see here, the Mosaic handle +/-10V just fine:

Going further than that, and a problem is starting to develop at the bottom of the waveform:

You would expect that bottom edge to start clipping or progressively distort more, but instead this is what happens:

Pushing amplitude further just clips more, but the nasty phase flip remains:

For comparison, this is what the waveform should look at this amplitude:

Now, normally audio in eurorack is around +/-5V, and modulation is either +/-5V or 0-10V, so this is unlikely to cause any issues with CV signals or audio at normal amplitudes. However, overdriving a VCA like I was doing with Veils here, and then patching in to the Mosaic, is a very bad idea as you can see.
SkudShark
Common Wiggler

Post by SkudShark »

greenfly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm HI

I want to buy the Line Out module. If anyone knows the answer ti the following questions please let me know.

1- can you plug into the 2nd Gen audio jacks board on the 7u Intellijel cases? I would rather not use power connector from the main bus board as I only have 1 left on there.
Curious on this as well, do they work with the i/o headers for the jacks built into the Intellijel cases?
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

Doubt it since this has outputs on the front. Besides, Intellijel's case has balanced I/O and the Mosaic stuff is not.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
SkudShark
Common Wiggler

Post by SkudShark »

exper wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:37 am Doubt it since this has outputs on the front. Besides, Intellijel's case has balanced I/O and the Mosaic stuff is not.
Ah good point, thank you! :)
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

I don't think that would be the deciding factor - the Intellijel Stereo Mix 1U uses them as unbalanced outs:
Alternatively, use it to connect the module directly to the 1⁄4” audio jacks on a compatible Intellijel case (such as one of the Palette series cases, or the 7U case). When used in this way, the case’s 1⁄4” jacks become unbalanced Stereo Mixer module outputs.
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves »

drowld wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:26 pm
doublestewart wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:02 pm
drowld wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm Look up on fb they have a website too now
The quantizer looks nice but no demo of any modules yet
The quantizer was the one that first caught my eye, but there are a lot of good additions here. We've gotten to the point where the amount of 1u modules I want is surpassing the amount of 1u space I have.
I still think intellijel should convert more of their modules to 1u
::Awaits Rainmaker...::
:hyper:
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves »

okayiquit wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:14 pm Definitely interested in the mixer, I love quadratt but it feels like a waste whenever it's relegated to basic mixing. Also takes up a lot of space.
I made a super basic cardboard case for my quadratt and use a longer than usual power cable. Now it's not taking up that huge chunk of rail space in a portable case that doesn't have either 1u space or any kind of mixer. It makes the case truly portable now.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

I got a few of these a while back - quantizer, clock, line in, line out and mono reverb.

My favorite of the bunch is the quantizer, but they are all good quality. Glad to have a minimally sized line in/out capability.

a few examples:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTTc8SCCp9X/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTfvjLXiRgo/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTZ8TIbikWL/
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

It looks like you can finally get the PulpLogic format replacement panels from Mosaic now. Can anyone confirm they've actually gotten theirs?
paranormind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by paranormind »

But it looks like we have to buy the replacements for $15 extra, right? Sadly we cannot just buy the modules with the panel we want...
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

paranormind wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:01 am But it looks like we have to buy the replacements for $15 extra, right? Sadly we cannot just buy the modules with the panel we want...
Yes, that is true. I have accepted that as part of the expense. Fortunately the modules are moderately priced to begin with.
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

It looks like they’ve added a few more modules to their lineup: tap, S&H and an SVF or did I miss these from the original release?
greenfly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greenfly »

HI

Just to let everyone know- I had a reply back from Mosaic and their 1u modules need power from the mail bus board - you can plug them into the connectors reserved for the Intellijel 1u line. They said they will consider this for future revisions of their modules.
SkudShark wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:25 am
greenfly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm HI

Curious on this as well, do they work with the i/o headers for the jacks built into the Intellijel cases?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”