First Modular system (help me go broke)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

First Modular system (help me go broke)

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to build something Eurorack to go with my Moog trinity, and to be played independently of course, but I am pretty clueless and at the moment am at the "Throw a load of cool looking modules into ModularGrid stage", without much of a good idea what I´ll need to make sure my modules work well together (without undue redundancy of function etc), and give me the capabilities I want and as much scope as possible for experimentation and patching to try out new stuff.

Before I get to the rack I´ve sketched out, it´ll probably be helpful if I point to some of what I´d like to achieve with it. I am quite good with maths, electronics and so forth, so modular for me will be fun to play with from that perspective, and those stronger points will hopefully fill in some gaps and enable me to get some nice results from experimentations whilst I continue to develop musically. In terms of styles of music, I enjoy making techno stuff, and also more ambient, drone sounds and chillout stuff. I enjoy melodies with variation/randomness and random or structural repetition, so the rack includes a few modules like GreyScale Permutation and Mutable Marbles.

Overall, my feeling is that I´ve probably done what most clueless beginners would - picked a bunch of really cool looking modules, without really knowing what I might be missing in terms of utility. Do I have enough oscillators? Filters? VCOs? Utility modules for inverting/attenuating/etc stuff, that sort of thing.

Another helpful thing, since I´m not yet familiar with a lot of the modules out there, is if people say stuff like "if you like XXX module you should also look at YYY which is similar", then I can get ideas not only about modules that don´t work well in the system and should be substituted for something different, but also about those I´ve picked that have better alternatives with similar functions.

For the case, I´ve picked a Behringer Eurorack Go because of plenty of space, seemingly good quality and plentiful power, good price and ready availability in my location. Any other case suggestions would also be helpful if I´ve missed good options that would give me around 240HP of 3U space in total.

Here´s my rack so far, critique away: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1559819

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: First Modular system (help me go broke)

Post by mosorensen » Tue May 04, 2021 7:54 am

This looks fine to me. I have most of the modules myself, and I am familiar with all of them. Overall, I think it looks like a lot of fun to play with.

A couple of comments: I would start with, perhaps, half the modules and build it up gradually to make sure you are happy with Mutable's modules (I like them, but not everybody do). Some of the modules can be difficult to get today, I am looking at Blades and Beads (EDIT: Just realized a new batch of Data is out, so you might want to get that while it lasts, it has been hard to get for a while).

Also, Supercell and Beads may be too much granular. At least make sure you like the Clouds'ish sounds (again, many do, but some don't).
Last edited by mosorensen on Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Journey is the Destination

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 am

I would definitely recommend starting with few modules, exploring them and going from there by adding more one by one. If you buy all at once you will likely get overwhelmed. Furthermore, the more you explore your first modules the easier it will be to see the direction you want to go.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 am

Unless you expect to get it right first time - and unless you're buying a full system - making a case with modules that make sounds you like is as good a way to start as any. It's almost certain that you'll change direction a few times along the way.

All those modules together will set you up for a long time. I watched a couple of videos recently with a Pamela's New Workout and Plaits combo, and that would be a nice way to begin - or Marbles/Plaits.

Beads and Blades are likely to be unavailable for a while. I'm using Beads and enjoying it a lot - it's a fantastic instrument in its own right.

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 am

Welcome! Yes looks like it’s shaping up to be a fun setup. I would echo the advice of going with fewer modules initially, I’d personally remove Supercell and Permutation, that territory is essentially covered by Marbles and Beads—and this could also reduce cognitive load a bit, because there won’t be the continuous A/B testing between Marbles and Permutation, or a glut of granular and nowhere to party.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 9U 168 + Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 am

Did you put all the MI stuff in the bottom, cause they are from the same maker?

I'd put Metropolix to the bottom and at least Supercell up. Cable salad otherwise.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 am
Did you put all the MI stuff in the bottom, cause they are from the same maker?

I'd put Metropolix to the bottom and at least Supercell up. Cable salad otherwise.
Thanks, that´s helpful, the main thing I thought about when I laid it out in the grid (although I haven´t really finalised that yet) is to keep stuff organised in sort of functional blocks, so the top left is mainly sequencing, plus the processing of a sequence through permutations, then the bottom left is mainly oscillators, stuff to shape sounds, and filters. I put expression controls bottom right to make them easy to access without bumping other stuff, and MIDI interface top right to keep the external cables going away and backwards. The quad VCA ended up top right just because the layout didn´t fit otherwise, so inevitably some stuff has to go wherever it´ll just fill a row in combination with the other modules. I didn´t deliberately put the MI stuff together, although I guess some of it ends up together because I mainly liked the videos I´ve seen of their audio-focused modules (VCOs, filters, texture modules) so those ended up in the bottom left, then the Marbles seems like more of a sequence processing tool so it went in the top row.

It´s good that you pointed out cable salad, because that stuff I hadn´t thought about yet in terms of where to put modules. I guess when I actually get it and try to lay it out with the cables managed properly, that might lead to some changes.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 9:16 am

ATW wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 am
Welcome! Yes looks like it’s shaping up to be a fun setup. I would echo the advice of going with fewer modules initially, I’d personally remove Supercell and Permutation, that territory is essentially covered by Marbles and Beads—and this could also reduce cognitive load a bit, because there won’t be the continuous A/B testing between Marbles and Permutation, or a glut of granular and nowhere to party.
Thanks, this is interesting, are marbles and permutation really that similar? I guess I will go back and watch the videos of them again, especially since doing away with one of them would free up quite a few HP.

I guess I´ll do the same with Supercell and Beads, since those seemed quite distinct to me, but perhaps that is just the result of watching videos where they are played/used in different ways, and actually could have sounded more alike if they had been used a different way.

Lastly, I´m curious why you would get rid of the Grayscale modules and keep the MI, rather than the other way round?

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am

Yeah, you don´t really anticipate how annoying those cables can become, if you don´t have a good management.

I even flipped marbles up side down, to have the plugs on the top. I don´t mind the letters being flipped, because clockwise still means louder/faster, you know. But especially in the case of Metropolix, the way it was right now, the cables would cross right over those sliders, which are meant to be played, performed on.

So as a general rule, anything you wnat to turn by hand, try to keep it free somehow, it will make the system an instrument rather than a sound sculpture.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am

RolandoBlanca wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am
For the case, I´ve picked a Behringer Eurorack Go because of plenty of space, seemingly good quality and plentiful power
Maybe reference this thread: Did my modules fry ? Can i save them ?
I'm sure other people have better luck with their Go cases, but . . . :eurosmoke:

Cooole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cooole » Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 am

I'm newish to Eurorack as well, and I'd like to second the "start small and build up" comment and elaborate a bit on my own experience.

After I ordered my first modules (a sequencer, couple of VCOs, a VCF, VCAs, and a function generator), I immediately started obsessively building racks in Modulargrid with stuff that is awesome and shiny. However, in practice, I quickly realized that there were tools missing that I had never considered, things like slew limiters, attenuverters, etc.

What I realized is that the Eurorack workflow is so open ended, but it's also complicated, and you may quickly discover that the workflow you *thought* you wanted doesn't sync to the workflow you find yourself actually using. So, I still have (a lot of) modules that I intend on purchasing, but those are kept on the backburner until what I have performs exactly how I need it to for how I use it.

As far as your actual design though, looks pretty good! You have a lot of clocking modules in there (Metropolis and Mordax), so it may be worth considering if you can keep one and look at some more specialized (and potentially smaller) modules to achieve what you're looking for. That's another nice thing about starting small; helps reduce redundancy and an empty wallet.

Cooole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cooole » Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am

bwhittington wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am
RolandoBlanca wrote:
For the case, I´ve picked a Behringer Eurorack Go because of plenty of space, seemingly good quality and plentiful power
I'm sure other people have better luck with their Go cases, but . . . :eurosmoke:
RIP

Glad I went with the Mantis.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 am

RolandoBlanca wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:16 am
Thanks, this is interesting, are marbles and permutation really that similar? I guess I will go back and watch the videos of them again, especially since doing away with one of them would free up quite a few HP.
Permutations is a Turing Machine, and a large part of Marbles is the Deja Vu function, which is essentially a Turing Machine, so there is a large overlap. Marbles is more "pre-packaged", it has more control of the distribution of random including quantized scales, the number of steps, it has jitter, and it has different control schemes for the triggers. Most importantly, it provides three lanes of random (triggers plus CVs). Permutation is a full-fledged Turing Machine. It only has a single lane of random (trigger plus CV), but it provides full access to the individual steps. Maybe you can say that Marbles is more "instant gratification" and Permuatation is more "patch programmable", but many will disagree. I don't think both in a rack is too much, but you might go for a smaller version of Permuatation. Grayscale makes three versions, and this is the biggest one of them, which may be a bit much. The 6hp and 12hp versions have slightly less functionality but would free up some hp.

RolandoBlanca wrote:
I guess I´ll do the same with Supercell and Beads, since those seemed quite distinct to me, but perhaps that is just the result of watching videos where they are played/used in different ways, and actually could have sounded more alike if they had been used a different way.
Both Supercell and Beads are version of the original Clouds. Supercell is a clone with improved access to the controls and a special Parasite firmware. Beads is essentially Clouds Mk. 2 with better audio quality, longer buffer, and improved functionality (and perhaps a slightly less lush reverb). If you are after basic granular, there is a very large overlap, and I would just go for Beads first, hands down (after I got Beads, Supercell is no longer in my rack). I think the only reason to get Supercell today would be if you want the firmware, such as the Kammerl Beat Repeat, which admittedly is pretty wild.
The Journey is the Destination

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am

RolandoBlanca wrote:
ATW wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 am

Lastly, I´m curious why you would get rid of the Grayscale modules and keep the MI, rather than the other way round?
On the macro level, I see Marbles + Permutation + Turing Machine in the same 'musical random' ballpark. A question I would ask is 'how much musical random do I want?'', relative to other functionalities?

MI over Grayscale for Marbles/Beads is a personal thing, where I can see system-level benefits in having a common visual language across more modules—i.e., how a shared system can (theoretically) simplify voltage/patching/routing because of common design and signal flow conventions. I have a 'mutt case' with a handful of MI modules (factory, DIY and 3rd party) and a range of other makers. Over time, I've been moving towards more MI factory modules to bring more cohesion to the system—in part because of the multi-mode nature of MI user interfaces. The LED colors and UI conventions start to gel a bit more for me.

And definitely go with the one(s) that speak to you, (take all of this with a big grain of salt!). I have Monsoon and Beads, they are distinct, but I wouldn't start over with both until I got to know my way 'round the system. I'd get a Mimeophon, or some other rich delay like Sarajewo, Chronoblob, etc, to go a bit wider with types of feedback and sonic possibilities.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 am

bwhittington wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am
RolandoBlanca wrote:
Oh, yeah, this is very bad. I am not really impressed by Behringer generally, in terms of cost cutting, although I don't want to just unduly knock them since I think they also make some good value stuff.

The reason I was persuaded to consider the case is because I read someones comparison of it against another more expensive brand (and I can't recall where I read this) saying that the power supply was in many ways better designed and executed than whatever it was a knock-off of, so that persuaded me, and even though the thread you linked to could just be a one off, I think that´s persuaded me that I should look at other options.

I´ve already looked at a Dopfer with about 240ish HP over 3 rows, and the Intelijels which look really nice but I don´t need the 1u I don´t think? Do people have good suggestions if I used one of those, for stuff that's good to put in the 1u rows?

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 11:43 am

Cooole wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 am
After I ordered my first modules (a sequencer, couple of VCOs, a VCF, VCAs, and a function generator), I immediately started obsessively building racks in Modulargrid with stuff that is awesome and shiny. However, in practice, I quickly realized that there were tools missing that I had never considered, things like slew limiters, attenuverters, etc.

What I realized is that the Eurorack workflow is so open ended, but it's also complicated, and you may quickly discover that the workflow you *thought* you wanted doesn't sync to the workflow you find yourself actually using. So, I still have (a lot of) modules that I intend on purchasing, but those are kept on the backburner until what I have performs exactly how I need it to for how I use it.

As far as your actual design though, looks pretty good! You have a lot of clocking modules in there (Metropolis and Mordax), so it may be worth considering if you can keep one and look at some more specialized (and potentially smaller) modules to achieve what you're looking for. That's another nice thing about starting small; helps reduce redundancy and an empty wallet.
This is good specific advice, thanks, I can see what you mean about ending up without some capabilities you didn't realise you needed until later. I guess having some spare space in the rack will work out better, and in general, I plan to take peoples advice to start out with the core modules. What would you buy first out of what I have in the rack, and what would you buy that isn't there before other stuff that is?

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am

mosorensen wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 am
Permutations is a Turing Machine, and a large part of Marbles is the Deja Vu function, which is essentially a Turing Machine, so there is a large overlap. Marbles is more "pre-packaged", it has more control of the distribution of random including quantized scales, the number of steps, it has jitter, and it has different control schemes for the triggers. Most importantly, it provides three lanes of random (triggers plus CVs). Permutation is a full-fledged Turing Machine. It only has a single lane of random (trigger plus CV), but it provides full access to the individual steps. Maybe you can say that Marbles is more "instant gratification" and Permuatation is more "patch programmable", but many will disagree. I don't think both in a rack is too much, but you might go for a smaller version of Permuatation. Grayscale makes three versions, and this is the biggest one of them, which may be a bit much. The 6hp and 12hp versions have slightly less functionality but would free up some hp.
Yes I guess they are overlapping but distinct, so I will watch the videos again and probably buy one first and the other later.
Both Supercell and Beads are version of the original Clouds. Supercell is a clone with improved access to the controls and a special Parasite firmware. Beads is essentially Clouds Mk. 2 with better audio quality, longer buffer, and improved functionality (and perhaps a slightly less lush reverb). If you are after basic granular, there is a very large overlap, and I would just go for Beads first, hands down (after I got Beads, Supercell is no longer in my rack). I think the only reason to get Supercell today would be if you want the firmware, such as the Kammerl Beat Repeat, which admittedly is pretty wild.
Cool this is excellent advice, another one instead of both to start with. I'll go with a Beads I guess as long as it is available.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am

ATW wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am
On the macro level, I see Marbles + Permutation + Turing Machine in the same 'musical random' ballpark. A question I would ask is 'how much musical random do I want?'', relative to other functionalities?
Well sorta "quite a lot" I think??? I don't think I'm necessarily looking for a lot of randomness stuff, more a lot of turing/compute to permute sequences or CVs. Maybe again a Marbles and a Permutation are also something I should buy one first and then maybe the other later, but I think I might need to look first at the manuals for both and get an idea how they differ in case I really do want both.
MI over Grayscale for Marbles/Beads is a personal thing, where I can see system-level benefits in having a common visual language across more modules—i.e., how a shared system can (theoretically) simplify voltage/patching/routing because of common design and signal flow conventions. I have a 'mutt case' with a handful of MI modules (factory, DIY and 3rd party) and a range of other makers. Over time, I've been moving towards more MI factory modules to bring more cohesion to the system—in part because of the multi-mode nature of MI user interfaces. The LED colors and UI conventions start to gel a bit more for me.
This is super-useful actually. I really hadn't thought about common UI in terms of getting familiar with the system quicker but it's probably really important to me, I like good UI designs so I should think that through again, and since I already want a lot of MI stuff it would have sense to see if I could go even more common UI.
And definitely go with the one(s) that speak to you, (take all of this with a big grain of salt!). I have Monsoon and Beads, they are distinct, but I wouldn't start over with both until I got to know my way 'round the system. I'd get a Mimeophon, or some other rich delay like Sarajewo, Chronoblob, etc, to go a bit wider with types of feedback and sonic possibilities.
This is also really helpful since I hadn't looked at any of those yet.

ATW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ATW » Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 pm

RolandoBlanca wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am
ATW wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am
Well sorta "quite a lot" I think??? I don't think I'm necessarily looking for a lot of randomness stuff, more a lot of turing/compute to permute sequences or CVs. Maybe again a Marbles and a Permutation are also something I should buy one first and then maybe the other later, but I think I might need to look first at the manuals for both and get an idea how they differ in case I really do want both.
This is super-useful actually. I really hadn't thought about common UI in terms of getting familiar with the system quicker but it's probably really important to me, I like good UI designs so I should think that through again, and since I already want a lot of MI stuff it would have sense to see if I could go even more common UI.
This is also really helpful since I hadn't looked at any of those yet.
Yeah totally hear that. Learning Modular just did a 4 part series about Marbles in generative patches on Patreon, and interesting uses outside of creating melodies, too.

Also remembered a couple threads I explored before getting Marbles:
Turing Machine vs Permutation vs Marbles + Random Sequencing: Marbles vs. Permutation

And re: UI, no knock on Grayscale, to be sure—they're certainly on a UI-centric mission, w/ the idea of bringing more UI stability across multiple *makers* which has a lot of appeal—thinking of Richard Devine's live rack, for example.

Cheers

Cooole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cooole » Wed May 05, 2021 9:54 am

RolandoBlanca wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:43 am
Cooole wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 am

This is good specific advice, thanks, I can see what you mean about ending up without some capabilities you didn't realise you needed until later. I guess having some spare space in the rack will work out better, and in general, I plan to take peoples advice to start out with the core modules. What would you buy first out of what I have in the rack, and what would you buy that isn't there before other stuff that is?
Depends on where you want to start, but this is what I'd probably get first regardless:
  • Metropolix for CV/Gate sequencing and clocking
  • Maths for envelopes
  • Quad VCA for... VCA
  • Blades for VCF
With that, I'd choose whichever sound source floats your boat, Marbles for sampling or Plaits for a VCO, or both.

With those bones, you already have a world of sound design available to you, so just patch the hell out of it until you figure out what you need to get where you want a go, whether that's something you're already looking at or something completely unexpected.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm

looking at the link - if you want all these modules get another row - you will need it for utility modules - otherwise you will not get the most out of this

personally I would only get one of the marbles/permutation/tm - my preference would be marbles as it is effectively 3 tms in one

use buffered mults and tune your vcos to intervals if you want more voices from the same v/oct source
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

Wavtekt
Common Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt » Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm

Pretty sure you will go broke, hate your system instantly and sell it very soon upon looking at it.

Make sure you tried MI modules in VCV Rack before buying it, I think their modules are great, but they have a top-down design approach, you either like MI's design or hate it.

I prefer bottom-up patching with oscillators + modulators. Try to use/mis-use them, notice that modulators can be oscillators and vice versa, they are interchangeable basically. For instance, a function generator can be go audio-rate and becomes an oscillator. Same as a self-oscillating VCF, it can be a sine wave oscillator as well as a LFO & EG when in super slow speed.

Try other modulators in different flavours too, like switches (audio-rate slicing), wavefolder (kinda like opposite of filter, add harmonics instead of reducing it), analog logic / boolean logic / comparator (great for creating unexpected rhythmic result), low pass gate (kinda like VCF+VCA, but with vactrol response), random (e.g. S&H / PLL / Shift Register) modules. Also, noteworthy to mention u can use MIDI-CV modules / ES-8 to modulate your eurorack using VCV rack.

Also, try those 0hp modules from Mystic Circuit first if you are unsure what is the function of VCA etc. but prefer a hands-on control instead of fiddling with VST.

Then hopefully you will still have a healthy budget, meanwhile having some modular fun.

RolandoBlanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RolandoBlanca » Thu May 06, 2021 4:33 am

Thanks to everyone for all the input, the direction I've gone is sort of tangential - I've bought some modules that were in stock that would fit well (some were in the original rack, a couple not, but have functions that either replace them or otherwise earn their rackspace).

I followed people's advice to keep it a bit smaller, so I've bought a 208HP case (2 x 104), and will limit myself to that for the time being and try to make as space efficient a system in this as possible, then consider whether another case is appropriate later.

Here's what I've bought so far:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1566313
Last edited by RolandoBlanca on Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu May 06, 2021 6:12 am

Wavtekt wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm
Make sure you tried MI modules in VCV Rack before buying it, I think their modules are great, but they have a top-down design approach, you either like MI's design or hate it.
From the perspective of a chaotic patcher, what might be described as a top-down design approach translates into quick usability and familiarity for people with low-level patching skills.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”