Noob question - Why does my Quadratt mix sound terrible?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Noob question - Why does my Quadratt mix sound terrible?

Post by TheRabbit » Tue May 04, 2021 5:02 am

So I just got my modular setup this week. Picked up quite a few modules, but I'll share the high level details of what's going on as I can't seem to figure it out.

Problem: When I mix my Pico Drums & my Subharmonicon through my Quadratt 1u mixer, it sounds like total crap. Distortion and just terrible. If I listen to each instrument individually, they sound great. But when I add drums, it sounds like the drums are summing into the waveform of the synth and just leading to this terrible distorted sound.

I've tried both the bi-directional and uni settings on the Quadratt.

From my understanding, I thought you could mix audio signals with the Quadratt. But it is sounding like it's only doing CV mixing.

The Quadratt is clearly working great because when I use it to sum raw waveforms, it sounds awesome.

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is going on here?

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Noob question - Why does my Quadratt mix sound terrible?

Post by 1n » Tue May 04, 2021 5:06 am

I use Quadratt for audio mixing using unity and get good results mostly. Are you using one summed output (bottom right)? Maybe try one output per signal?

Do you have another module or mixer to compare Quadratt with?

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheRabbit » Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 am

No this is my only one. I tried using various outputs of even just two channels at a time but it’s still sounding super distorted.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Tue May 04, 2021 5:28 am

TheRabbit wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 am
No this is my only one. I tried using various outputs of even just two channels at a time but it’s still sounding super distorted.
How is Pico Drums when mixed with other sound sources?

Looks like this might be one of those times when balancing gain is precarious. Can you get Subharmonicon into the mix outside the rack?

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Tue May 04, 2021 5:39 am

What are you plugging the output of the Quadratt into to listen to the mix? If this is going straight into a mixing desk / audio interface then the "hot" signal coming out of the Quadratt could be causing the distortion.

How low are you setting the attenuator knobs on the Quadratt? (they should be in Unipolar mode for this purpose)

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 am

You could also try attenuating the signal that comes out of the Quadratt if you have another attenuator / VCA spare.

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheRabbit » Tue May 04, 2021 6:42 am

TVNoel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:39 am
What are you plugging the output of the Quadratt into to listen to the mix? If this is going straight into a mixing desk / audio interface then the "hot" signal coming out of the Quadratt could be causing the distortion.

How low are you setting the attenuator knobs on the Quadratt? (they should be in Unipolar mode for this purpose)
I'm taking the output straight from the Quadratt out into my Headphones 1u. Or I am running it through the Zeroscope and then to the Headphones 1u to try and monitor what is going on.

I'll keep fiddling on these various feedback pieces and see if I can get it sounding any better. Even at a low volume it seem to be distorting but I will see what I can do.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 am

Did you check adjacent channels for offsets? Unpatched inputs left to your your audio source need to be zero.

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheRabbit » Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 am

Really wierd. So I figured it out.

It was the headphones 1u module. I was only patching the mix to the left channel assuming that it would properly normal to the right.

But for some reason when I only have an output patched into the Left channel it does the distortion thing.

But if I plug an output into the left and right channel, then there is no distortion and it all sounds good... but there is no stereo...

So I guess this is actually a Headphones 1u question.

Am I wrong in assuming that plugging something into the L & the R of the Headphones 1u channel should generate a completely hard panned stereo signal?

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 am

are you sending L and R different signals?

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheRabbit » Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am

Yeah. Different signals completely. One is drums and the other synth.

Saturn Cruises
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saturn Cruises » Tue May 04, 2021 12:10 pm

There should be a jumper on the back of the Headphone 1u module.

By default it should be in place to provide normaling when only L side is patched. If you are connecting from other intellijel modules via the 3 pin connectors then it may need to be removed to provide a proper stereo output.

Details are in the manual: https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... .08.07.pdf

TheRabbit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheRabbit » Wed May 05, 2021 6:39 am

Saturn Cruises wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:10 pm
There should be a jumper on the back of the Headphone 1u module.

By default it should be in place to provide normaling when only L side is patched. If you are connecting from other intellijel modules via the 3 pin connectors then it may need to be removed to provide a proper stereo output.

Details are in the manual: https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... .08.07.pdf
Amazing. Thank you.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”