Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:01 am

MARK27 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 pm
Concerning the new Doepfer frequency shifter: It looks like a very nice frequency shifter. However, it is pretty conventional, with an on-board quadrature oscillator and just one Dome filter for the incoming audio signal.
Doc, don't I also remember you mentioning something about the Freak Shift also being functional across a greater range of frequencies compared to most other frequency shifters for some reason? Maybe I am misremembering. It's hard to tell sometimes.
Yes, the Doepfer's on-board quadrature VCO only seems to go down to about 20 Hz (based on what I remember him saying in the video), which isn't terribly useful if you want to use it as a phaser. The Freak Shift has a second Dome filter for converting any VCO to a quadrature VCO, and this filter will generate more or less perfect quadrature down to 0.1 Hz (10 second cycle), and probably even a fair bit lower if you can live with imperfect quadrature (a few degrees off of 90) -- I'm not even sure you could really tell at such low frequencies. It goes perfectly up to 10 kHz, and is pretty good up to at least 15 kHz. Most standard FS VCOs don't go above about 5 kHz, IIRC. Of course, I don't believe that frequency shifting is terribly useful at such high frequencies, but I wanted mine to go to more or less the top of the audio range (and I don't hear anything above about 12 kHz, so for me that's the top).

I really wanted the Freak Shift to be the best performing and most versatile analog frequency shifter available, and I believe that it just might be. Plus, the price is right.
How can the wind with so many around me? I feel lost in the city

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:41 am

It's fantastic. Love mine.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks for the extra details and easy-to-understand explanations, Doc. One of the reasons we love ya around here!

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:16 am

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:38 pm
jonny_w wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 am
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:10 am
Dcramer wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm
Good to hear these have taken off! 🙀
I’m in the middle of moving my whole house and studio westward so I’m looking at several weeks of downtime. 🙁
Van-city??
Curious - how many of us are from Vancouver? I recently moved back and would love to connect with fellow synth nerds.
well..... me & Doc often go for coffee, so sure, come along sometime... any time.
do u bike ride??

also.... we use to do a casual half assed synth chat/meet way back. i'm not sure if that happens much anymore.

d.

:coffee-machine: :coffee-love: :coffee-cheers:
Amazing to see the FreqShift family is still growing!
Yes def up for visits and synth events on the coast!
I’m currently in Van but headed back to the okanagan today.
My modular has made its way into storage near Okanagan Falls, the rest of my studio is travelling in a giant shipping container and I’m headed back into Penticton where I’ve bought a small place near the south beach in which I’ll practice making noises, growling my hair, and drinking :zombie:
After fifteen years of the most stressful, dangerous job in ‘Stabmonton’ ahm retired! :party: :party: :party: :party:

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Stabmonton??? :eek: :eek:

growling my hair??? :despair:
i use to drink & smoke.
that fat cat had to go..... wasn't even mine.

oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Must be a sister city to Killadelphia :twisted:

navicore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navicore » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:40 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:01 am
the video), which isn't terribly useful if you want to use it as a phaser.
I've had mine 10 weeks and am super happy with it. Thx Doc. And I patch it as a phaser all the time :)

elcoco
Common Wiggler

Post by elcoco » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:26 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:54 am
everydaycurry wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 pm
oh hey, #59 (I think) arrived in yesterday's mail! I wasn't expecting it for quite a while so that's a fun surprise.
Actually, you were number 58. I skipped over four customers who ordered black or dotcom panels, which I don't have yet, so other than that, yours was actually delivered right on schedule. I'm building number 61 tomorrow, for elcoco.
woooo can't wait!!

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:19 am

Anyone made demos of it recently ? i see almost none on youtube the past year
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:24 am

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm

growling my hair??? :despair:
🤣🤣 sorry, GROWING, not growling my hair, but ‘stabmonton’ is accurate…🙀

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:40 am

Hey elcoco (and others on the FS list), I've been a bit of a bad boy and took a few days off of building Freak Shifts, mostly because a) I was busy with my day job (the teaching term just started after a long and wonderful summer (as wonderful as it could be being mostly confined to the house because of COVID), and b) I was working on my new ASR II module, and I ran into serious trouble with it and got a little bit obsessed with trying to fix it.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be building elcoco's Freak Shift and should get it in the mail on Monday (the boards are all done). Also, this weekend I'm going to try to get 2 or 3 more done.

Finally, I really must reiterate this point, because it seems to have been lost on some people: there will be NO MORE BLACK PANELS. If you have already ordered one, you will get one (and they are made, I just have to coordinate a time to pick them up with the fellow who has made them for me). But he no longer has access to the laser engraving machine, so that's it. It's all silver Metalphoto panels from here on out.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:18 am

Thanks for the update, Doc! I know what your mean, here teaching starts this Monday, and this year I'm taking over special relativity. Lots of fun, but also lots of preparation required...

chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:09 am

I love the aggressive demos, but as a contrast here's a demo of using the Freak Shift to introduce some subtle whoosing to a sound.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 pm

just received mine today. Sounds fantastic! So clean--in a good way, a different world than the original Doepfer, and quite different from the Synthtech or Encore--of course.
This is a lot more usable, as it doesn't stand out, it's fairly transparent, compared to the others(haven't used the AS Bode).
First day with it. EXCELLENT!!!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:16 pm

thetwlo wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 pm
just received mine today. Sounds fantastic! So clean--in a good way, a different world than the original Doepfer, and quite different from the Synthtech or Encore--of course.
This is a lot more usable, as it doesn't stand out, it's fairly transparent, compared to the others(haven't used the AS Bode).
First day with it. EXCELLENT!!!
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm happy you like it.

I didn't realize that you were a customer. You must be one of the customers who ordered via email rather than Mod Wiggler PM, cuz your MW name is not in my customer database. I wasn't sure whether you were talking about the Freak Shift or the new Doepfer unit at first.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:06 pm

UPDATE -- I just shipped units 65, 66 and 67 to California, England and Australia, respectively. My list is up to 82 now, so that's only 15 to go, although I still have two Black Panel units to build (49 and 50) and two Dotcom units to build (42 and 43). I actually have a third Black Panel unit and a third Dotcom unit to build, but they are in the 70s.

The good news is that I will be receiving the three remaining black panels tomorrow, and the dotcom panels will be engraved this weekend, so I should be able to ship all of those overdue units out by early next week. I'm debating how much reworking of the layouts to do for the Dotcom units. I'm thinking that I'll eliminate one PCB and put all the circuitry on two longer PCBs (and possibly some circuitry on the Translator board as well, which would also be longer). I'll be playing around with that over the next few evenings.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:16 pm
You must be one of the customers who ordered via email rather than Mod Wiggler PM, cuz your MW name is not in my customer database. I wasn't sure whether you were talking about the Freak Shift or the new Doepfer unit at first.
Yeah, #63! saw a(unrelated) message from you on the SDIY list, so emailed. Excellent work! Beyond expectations! Thanks!!! :sb:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 am

chrisdurftal wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:09 am
I love the aggressive demos, but as a contrast here's a demo of using the Freak Shift to introduce some subtle whoosing to a sound.

Nice! Thanks for posting!

rediris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rediris » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the update, Doc! I'll wait in enraptured silence until then!

JES
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JES » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Forgot to post after I received mine. Truth be told, I got into modular in part because I wanted a good frequency shifter. 7 years later, the doc has delivered!
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 am

I’ve seen Dotcom panels mentioned a few times. I asked a couple of months ago if that’s an option and now I’m asking again :mrgreen:
Also sent a PM a couple of days ago asking the same question.

//M

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:56 am

rediris wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm
Thanks for the update, Doc! I'll wait in enraptured silence until then!
Your black panel unit shipped late last week. You should have received it, or else it should be arriving in a day or two. US shipping typically is very fast (3 or 4 days).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 am

UPDATE -- I've just about caught up on my black panel and Dotcom unit builds -- one black panel unit has shipped, the second is about 50% built, one Dotcom unit is built and tested (just waiting for the panels, which I should have by the weekend) and I've made the PCBs for the second unit. So, all of that backlog should be shipped out by Monday, and I'll be back on track with units 68 through 71 being built next week.

Also, I wanted to say that, presuming the panels turn out OK, I'll probably be offering to build more Dotcom units. I have a nice layout for the panel and translator PCBs that really works well with the 1/4" jacks. I didn't change the circuit board layouts, so there is still a stack of three circuit boards, but this shouldn't matter for Dotcom, since most Dotcom modules are thicc-AF anyway. So, bottom line, if you want a Dotcom Freak Shift, please drop me a line. If I get a few orders, then I'll place another order for some panel blanks (or maybe try to make my own).

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 am
Also, I wanted to say that, presuming the panels turn out OK, I'll probably be offering to build more Dotcom units. I have a nice layout for the panel and translator PCBs that really works well with the 1/4" jacks. I didn't change the circuit board layouts, so there is still a stack of three circuit boards, but this shouldn't matter for Dotcom, since most Dotcom modules are thicc-AF anyway. So, bottom line, if you want a Dotcom Freak Shift, please drop me a line. If I get a few orders, then I'll place another order for some panel blanks (or maybe try to make my own).
Just out of curiosity, are the Dotcom panels black? Is there a different manufacturing process for those?

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:25 pm

Finally ordered a Dotcom panel version :sb:

//M

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”