Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by pieter » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:17 am

Thanks for the update, doc! :tu:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 am
[...]

EDIT: Except the spelling team. I won all the spelling bees. But spelling isn't a sport.
Speak for yoreself...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. hand made wooden rack ears for Elektron Machine Drum/Monomachine

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:58 am

Anyone have more demos to hold me over until mine arrives? :tu:
FS (US):
WTB (US):

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 pm

Yeah, DEMOS!!!
How can the wind with so many around me? I feel lost in the city

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 pm

That’s for the update Doc, looking forward to getting mine whenever it’s ready. No rush. And black knobs are totally cool.

Take care of your back!!
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 1

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 am

Well, batch, you will be getting the next one I build, I think, so you won't have to wait too much longer.

UPDATE: Since my Small Bear order arrived, I have completed 6 Freak Shifts. Four went out in the mail on Thursday (all to the US). A fifth one should have as well, but it had a problem and I didn't have time to fix it before I had to go to work. It and the sixth one will go out on Monday, possibly with two others. I'm working on number 60 now (for batch).

APOLOGIES to numbers 42/43 (a pair of Dotcom formats for ear ear) and 49 and 50 (black panel units for rediris and Xrex O) -- I haven't been able to take delivery of those special panels yet. I believe that the black ones are actually done, and I just haven't been able to connect with my friend who makes them -- the Dotcom panel blanks are still sitting in the box they arrived in -- I'm really going to try to get them made this coming week. But, there will definitely be no more black panels (after those two and number 71 for MARK27), since my friend has basically lost easy access to the laser engraving machine and it has thus become a very inconvenient hardship to get them made. Those few that exist will probably become real collector's items.

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:17 am

Just got mine today!! :party: (I was #57 me thinks)
Can't wait to get it home and hook it up!

Poor wifey is going to be totally ignored THIS weekend... Will she forgive me? Prolly not.

Do I care? HELL NO! :twisted:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:26 am

According to the postal service, mine is expected to arrive today! :party: Looking forward to the weekend!
FS (US):
WTB (US):

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm

No idea what number I am but not expecting the module for a while so would love to hear what you folks are coming up with?
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Hey Doc,

For those of us who weren't reading this thread from the beginning and/or maybe don't know all the ins and outs about frequency shifters, I would be really curious to know how your Freak Shift differs, or is superior to, the new (and similarly priced) Doepfer A-126-2 that is being shown at SuperBooth. Herr Doepfer explaining how his frequency shifter works below.

batch

Post by batch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 pm

Mine arrived today. Beautiful sounding module! Or not depending on what you patch. Love it.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:19 pm

It's here! In Biohazard Orange! Color selected to match some of my other orange... :hihi: :harvestman:
IMG_8812.JPG
My initial tests resulted in frequency shifted drum loops with absolutely no hint of bleed from the external oscillator when the Wet/Dry was fully CCW (which must be WET given the panel graphics). :party: I am not a frequency shifter aficionado so I need to do a lot of learning on different ways to patch this. Going to re-watch all of the videos to see if I can get my head around how this is supposed to work so that I can then use it improperly. :twisted:
FS (US):
WTB (US):

batch

Post by batch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 pm

It doesn’t have an internal oscillator so you always need something going into the Sin, Cos or Mod inputs depending on the switch. I this is an advantage of the module as you can then do interesting things with that input whereas other frequency shifters are limited by their internal oscillator.

(Doc correct me if I am wrong).

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:19 pm

batch wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 pm
It doesn’t have an internal oscillator so you always need something going into the Sin, Cos or Mod inputs depending on the switch. I this is an advantage of the module as you can then do interesting things with that input whereas other frequency shifters are limited by their internal oscillator.

(Doc correct me if I am wrong).
which one? the old A-126 benefitted with the A-143-9 being tied to it.
To me it seems odd that the op amps in the A-126 are TL064. Were these used just for CV/power considerations? or cost?

batch

Post by batch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:14 pm

Any of them. If I understand the module (which I might not) whatever you patch into the mod input goes through the dome filter and is turned into a quadrature VCO. Or you can patch into the sin or cos inputs which bypass the dome filter. When you do this it’s not acting as a frequency shifter anymore but it makes cool sounds.

In other words to get it freq shifting (and have something on the wet) you patch something into the input and something into the mod. With the switch to the right (mod). Now you should have freq shifted signal on CCW and dry signal on CW on the mix out.

Fun thing about the module is you can reverse this, of patch into sin and out through diff or sin.

Mine only arrived today and am also figuring it out so apologies if I have any of this wrong.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 pm

Hey guys, please let me clarify a few points:

1) Concerning the new Doepfer frequency shifter: It looks like a very nice frequency shifter. However, it is pretty conventional, with an on-board quadrature oscillator and just one Dome filter for the incoming audio signal. Nothing wrong with that! But, the Freak Shift is fundamentally different, because of the second on-board Dome filter in place of an on-board quadrature oscillator. With that second Dome filter, anything you plug into the MOD input becomes a quadrature oscillator. One thing that I wasn't too impressed with, however, on the Doepfer was the Down/Up mixing pot -- it seems to go abruptly from Down to Up when the pot passes through 12:00 with very little change. The SUM/DIFF pot on the Freak Shift gives much more subtle control, and much more interesting effects. He also mentioned that he used 0.1% resistors and caps for the Dome filter -- this is complete overkill, since 1% resistors with precise caps will give phase shifting errors which are essentially indistinguishable from perfect precision. What I do is hand-sort all the capacitors into 0.2% bins, and just use 1% resistors straight out of the bag. My simulations suggest that this gives essentially perfect phase shifting, and the visually perfect circularity of the Lissajous figures I obtain confirms this.

2) Concerning the SIN and COS inputs: If you plug quadrature sine waves into these inputs (such as the SIN and COS outputs of a Doepfer quadrature VCO, or any two outputs of a self-oscillating Intellijel Dr Octature filter which are 90 degrees apart), then you still get frequency shifting. If, however, you plug other stuff in, then you get other interesting things. There's no right or wrong way to use this feature.

oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:12 am

will it be possible to get Freak Shifts in future?

batch

Post by batch » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:23 am

Thanks Doc. I’m really enjoying applying it to a voice where am putting an LFO into the mod that’s being modulated by the same pitch CV. Gives really nice textures. Have tried doing the opposite (ie LFO into input and voice into Mod), it gives similar results but not the same. I’d expect it be quite different for other sound sources (eg percussion).

Also, finding taking the Sum and Diff outs into a VC cross fader and the slowly modulating between the two to be awesome.

Can you clarify the aux input and knob? Both where it goes into the circuit and how the knob behaves when there is something plugged in (I think as an attenuator) or not (feedback loop?)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 am

Hey batch, the AUX jack is literally just summed with the INPUT jack -- both are fed through 30k input resistors to an inverting opamp with a 30k feedback resistor, so they are summed at unity gain (and inverted, but that's of no consequence). The "Input_Mix" output of this opamp is fed directly to the 12-stage Dome filter.

Hey oakwood, will Freak Shifts be available in the future? That depends on what you mean by "the future." If you mean "during the next several months or couple of years" then the answer is yes. If you mean in the 23rd century, then the answer is no. I bought 150 Freak Shift panels, and I've only used about 50 of them. Hence, I can make about 100 more Freak Shifts before I would have to order more panels. I am on the hook to make about 20 more, so I'll have about 80 panels left. I'll make Freak Shifts until I run out of panels. At some point, I will probably get very tired of making them, but that hasn't happened yet. I find that, as long as I pace myself, I am quite happy to keep making them.

oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55 am

Thanks, Doc - sounds like I'll need to focus on keeping my time scales in order (and maybe PM you, lol)

Fayette
Common Wiggler

Post by Fayette » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:31 pm

I love my sketchy frequency shifter, sounds really really good!! Just wanted to say that..

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 pm
Concerning the new Doepfer frequency shifter: It looks like a very nice frequency shifter. However, it is pretty conventional, with an on-board quadrature oscillator and just one Dome filter for the incoming audio signal.
Doc, don't I also remember you mentioning something about the Freak Shift also being functional across a greater range of frequencies compared to most other frequency shifters for some reason? Maybe I am misremembering. It's hard to tell sometimes.

everydaycurry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 pm

oh hey, #59 (I think) arrived in yesterday's mail! I wasn't expecting it for quite a while so that's a fun surprise.

batch

Post by batch » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:44 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 am
Hey batch, the AUX jack is literally just summed with the INPUT jack -- both are fed through 30k input resistors to an inverting opamp with a 30k feedback resistor, so they are summed at unity gain (and inverted, but that's of no consequence). The "Input_Mix" output of this opamp is fed directly to the 12-stage Dome filter.
Thanks Doc, super helpful! Am loving the Freak Shift, been playing with it all afternoon!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:54 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 pm
oh hey, #59 (I think) arrived in yesterday's mail! I wasn't expecting it for quite a while so that's a fun surprise.
Actually, you were number 58. I skipped over four customers who ordered black or dotcom panels, which I don't have yet, so other than that, yours was actually delivered right on schedule. I'm building number 61 tomorrow, for elcoco.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”