Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by pieter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am

MARK27 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 pm
When I first started buying eurorack modules in 2015, I insisted that I would allow myself this indulgence with the restriction that I would only buy black paneled modules. In 2015, this was a pretty serious restriction! I thought I would save myself all sorts of money and avoid the GAS.
I think this is a rather clever strategy. Not sure why you're getting flak for your strategy after explaining it this clearly. In a world of limited resources there are much worse ways to choose one's modules. ;)

chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 am

sygor wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 am
chrisdurftal wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

I got the 50's themed green n cream edition! :love:
Ooooh, I like the green and cream knobs, I wonder what mine will look like!?! I have to say, it's a really interesting idea to order a module and not know what you'll get aesthetically. Exciting!
Yes I enjoyed the lucky dip aspect!

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 am

MARK27 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:55 am
insoul8 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am
You are right, I got into modular because I wanted something beyond the usual offerings of a fixed architecture synthesizer, not because I wanted to build something that looks cool first.
I think that's what is hitting that nerve -- you putting words in my mouth. I never said that my first requirement was that my modular look cool. I haven't sacrificed anything to get a euro system that has a consistent look.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if I see a module that a manufacturer doesn't offer with a black panel, I simply get an equivalent module from somewhere else. If it is something really unique, like Doc's Freq Shift, I go the extra mile to acquire a black panel elsewhere. Function first, look second. I never said otherwise. You did.
I understand that you will go the extra mile to make sure everything matches and more power to you for doing so. I thought you may have intimated that one of the reasons you got into modular was because you did like the idea of being able to customize the visual aesthetic of your instrument. Again, I'm not giving you any flak for it, I just said I never really understood that urge and stated as much initially. I was just more generalizing the sentiment as there are a number of people on here who do exactly that when it comes to wanting only black modules. Good for them as well for doing what makes them happy. And I'm glad you haven't had to sacrifice any functionality or had to make any compromises when looking for alternatives that come in black. I also don't really understand why when someone questions something like this it is always interpreted as some kind of personal attack on them. It is not in this case at least.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:37 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 am
I also don't really understand why when someone questions something like this it is always interpreted as some kind of personal attack on them. It is not in this case at least.
I'm glad you mentioned that. Please note that Doc felt much the same way as you. This prompted him to ask me an honest question which I was happy to answer. Doc even made an off-color joke about it, but he didn't give me the sense that he was doing so at my expense.

Your tone was different, and prompted a different kind of response.

I get that tone is hard to impart over text. If it makes you feel any better, I have also offended forum members without meaning to. It has prompted me to think about how I might be coming across to other people and be a little more thoughtful about my language.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 pm

MARK27 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:37 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 am
I also don't really understand why when someone questions something like this it is always interpreted as some kind of personal attack on them. It is not in this case at least.
I'm glad you mentioned that. Please note that Doc felt much the same way as you. This prompted him to ask me an honest question which I was happy to answer. Doc even made an off-color joke about it, but he didn't give me the sense that he was doing so at my expense.

Your tone was different, and prompted a different kind of response.

I get that tone is hard to impart over text. If it makes you feel any better, I have also offended forum members without meaning to. It has prompted me to think about how I might be coming across to other people and be a little more thoughtful about my language.
Yes, I think it all started when you thought I was laughing at you when I was actually just finding it a bit amusing to myself that I had the same thought as Doc but didn’t bring it up and then he made the same comment I was thinking. My apologies if I came off as confrontational. Anyway, let’s put this all to bed and hopefully you can post a picture of your black Freak Shift all racked up once it arrives.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:28 pm

We're all adults here! It's settled!
:slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight: :omg:

:tu:

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:19 pm

navicore wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 pm
navicore,

I can't stop listening to this demo. I love the sounds you got here. Can I ask you to explain what is happening in this patch? I'm curious what sound or sounds are being fed to the Freq Shift so I can better understand what role the FS is playing here.

mark

navicore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navicore » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 pm

MARK27 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:19 pm

navicore,

I can't stop listening to this demo. I love the sounds you got here. Can I ask you to explain what is happening in this patch? I'm curious what sound or sounds are being fed to the Freq Shift so I can better understand what role the FS is playing here.

mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks!

Near as I can remember, Wogglebug, Mindphaser, Dixie II+, Doepfer a-147-2 VC LFO, and SA Nemisis delay pedal.

Pitch from stepped Wogglebug into the Mindphaser. Mindphaser audio (nothing special, just a little folding) into the FS input. FS Mod input was an LFO (Dixie II+) and that Dixie II+ LFO was modulated by the Doepfer VC LFO. I can't remember how I controlled the 2nd LFO rate - probably from the Wogglebug since I just remember turning a single knob for the finale.

So the seesaw movement comes from simple LFO modulating LFO.

The wildness seems mostly due to cranking up the Aux w/o the aux jack patched, causing feedback. See Doc's video on YT.

Once I stopped turning the FS knobs toward the end of the video, I turned the clock rate of the Wogglebug up and down which caused the oscillator pitch and the double LFO rates to all change and you can hear it move into and out of those sweet spots at the end.

navicore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navicore » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 pm

navicore wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 pm

Once I stopped turning the FS knobs toward the end of the video, I turned the clock rate of the Wogglebug up and down which caused the oscillator pitch and the double LFO rates to all change and you can hear it move into and out of those sweet spots at the end.
Likely a filter at the end too but no idea. Could be the Doepfer SEM.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:59 pm

pieter wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 am
I expressed a slight preference for blue in my order, but black would be fine too. Have a good holiday, Doc!
I noted you down for Blue in the database.
How can the wind with so many around me? I feel lost in the city

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:02 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am
I think you are being a bit disingenuous in your comparisons, at least in my opinion. When I am in the market for a new car, I don't sit there and think, hmm, what color car do I want and then go from there. I select a car based on many other factors that relate to its primary functions and then, once I have decided on a make, model, and year, I take a look at the colors offered and choose one. If I wanted a green 2020 Honda Accord but it didn't come in green, I would undoubtedly choose another color. It's really no different for guitars either, when I decided on a new Les Paul, there were only 3 colors offered for the model I wanted and that was fine. None of them were ideal but that was the guitar I wanted.
When I bought my last car, I already knew what kind I wanted: the same as I already had, a Mazda 3 (because they're awesome: fun to drive, economical and reliable). The Number 1 criterion beyond that was colour: it had to be Soul Red. If you have ever seen a soul red Mazda Miata shining in the sun, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:08 pm

ABOUT BLACK PANELS:

The reasons I would like to stop offering black panels are as follows:

1) I have over 100 natural aluminum panels sitting in boxes that cost me good money, and they are beautiful.
2) The black panels are not really under my control. A friend has to make them for me.
3) Some of the panels did not turn out very well. The laser etching was not deep enough and the lettering came out kinda dark and hard to read in low light. So, quality control is an issue. Plus, once they come out of the Glowforge, that's basically it -- you're stuck with what you've got.
4) If I want to make more black panels, I have go buy more black anodized aluminum, and that requires a drive out to Langley BC, which is on the other side of the Oort Cloud. It also requires having them cut to the exact size on an electric guillotine, which I cannot operate myself, so again, I'm at the mercy of other people.

In short, it's just a big pain in the ass.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:02 pm

It didn't look like the Freak Shift had been added to Modular Grid, so I added it, mostly so I would have an up-to-date reference for my own system. The text I copied from Doc's own descriptions.

The information is publicly editable, so if there is anything inaccurate, any of you/us can fix it.

The picture is a little wonky for these purposes, but it was the cleanest public image I found. Better pix and alternate images can be uploaded.

Interestingly, Frequency Shifter wasn't even available as a function. Is this the first eurorack frequency shifter?

Doc, if there is some reason why you don't want your stuff on Modular Grid, I can remove it or make it private so only I can see it. Now that you have a few eurorack modules that you are making, you might consider contacting Modular Grid to have Sketchy Labs added as a manufacturer (and frequency shifter added as a function). Alternately, I'm sure there are any number of us here that would do it for you if you wanted. Or not.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 pm

I put the silver one up there a week or so ago, too, for myself (listed as a fan posted prototype at the time).

I can update the photo and copy later this evening.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:04 am

MARK27 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:02 pm
It didn't look like the Freak Shift had been added to Modular Grid, so I added it, mostly so I would have an up-to-date reference for my own system. The text I copied from Doc's own descriptions.

The information is publicly editable, so if there is anything inaccurate, any of you/us can fix it.

The picture is a little wonky for these purposes, but it was the cleanest public image I found. Better pix and alternate images can be uploaded.

Interestingly, Frequency Shifter wasn't even available as a function. Is this the first eurorack frequency shifter?

Doc, if there is some reason why you don't want your stuff on Modular Grid, I can remove it or make it private so only I can see it. Now that you have a few eurorack modules that you are making, you might consider contacting Modular Grid to have Sketchy Labs added as a manufacturer (and frequency shifter added as a function). Alternately, I'm sure there are any number of us here that would do it for you if you wanted. Or not.
I added the silver panel.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:22 pm

I'll delete my temporary Silver entry. Cheers.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:01 pm
Getting to know #29... Came with rainbow knobs, I swapped em myself because I'm weird and didn't want to bother Doc with it, am happy to have this thing...

Sounds in a few days maybe, just getting started here. Very much loving the sound its making right now, and I've barely done anything at all but crank it up, 95% wet. Fun.

I may do that with mine - that looks real old school.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:55 am

There's no school like the old school.

Two more Freak Shifts go out tomorrow: one to Germany and one to California. Then that's going to be it for at least two more weeks, cuz there won't be anyone working in Sketchy Labs again until the third week of August. After that, I plan to step up my production schedule to get a whole bunch out quickly. I also have to figure out getting a couple of Dotcom panels made, but my panel guy appears to be on vacation until late August, so the Dotcom and black panel guys will have to wait a bit longer -- sorry about that!

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Dotcom panels...if that’s an option I’m in!!!

//M

efluon
Common Wiggler

Post by efluon » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:13 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:55 am
There's no school like the old school.

Two more Freak Shifts go out tomorrow: one to Germany and one to California.
Yay. Freeky! :goo: :goo: :goo:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:33 am

It’s you, efluon

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:09 pm

Sorry if I missed it but what is the power consumption of this bad boy?
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 pm

Hi5 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:09 pm
Sorry if I missed it but what is the power consumption of this bad boy?
The official answer is halfway down page 9 of this thread.

efluon
Common Wiggler

Post by efluon » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:09 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am
I'm just curious, how do you test that? I was thinking of putting small resistors (like, 10 ohms) in series with the power rails coming into the module, measuring the voltage across the resistors, and calculating the current from Ohm's law. Is there a better way that doesn't require specialized equipment?
This is the way.

Also i‘d consider those resistors specialized equipment. There also is a kit for this for Euro as well, which I use on all modules after soldering, which i find very handy as it tracks peak power.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:57 pm

QUICK UPDATE: I'm getting four more units in the mail today, two to Europe (39 Utrecht and 48 London) and two to the US (52 Ohio and 54 Washington), and I'm working on four more units.

HOWEVER, I've run out of DPDT On-On switches, and am about to run out of pots and PCB blanks. Also, my knob selection is getting very sparse (as you already knew). Hence, I have just put in a Small Bear order for pots, switches, PCB blanks, PnP Blue, and knobs -- mostly black -- that will get me through another 50 or so builds. This order may take a couple of weeks to arrive, so I'm building more units but won't be able to complete them until the shipment arrives. Hence, I'm expecting that I won't be sending any more units for at least two weeks, but that a whole bunch will go out very quickly after that.

For all the builds going forward, unless you have made a request for specific knob colours, you will get black knobs. They look great, and I'm going to have 200 of them. I also bought 20 of every colour, so if you want a specific colour combo, now is the time to request it.

Incidentally, fun fact, I've discovered the best way to work on these: I print and etch 4 board sets at a time, but I drill and stuff them individually. This is good because drilling one board set is manageable, but drilling two or more at a time gives me thoughts of suicide, and doing even one without a break does in my back and hips. Lastnight, drilling just one board set, it was like dying and going to heaven.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”