Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by thetwlo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 pm

The Doepfer is fun-plenty of bleed, the Synthtech is great, too perfect/clinical? The Behringer is pure fiction--if they can pull it off....🐫

Phitar
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm
(You guys know I'm kidding, right?)
Yep!

Surprized the TOOBEES group (Those Obsessively Offended By Everything Everyone Says) didn't jump on it though.

Their LMTO (Let Me Take Offense) Early Alert Radar System must be on the fritz.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jonny_w » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:38 pm
jonny_w wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 am
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:10 am
Dcramer wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:07 pm
Good to hear these have taken off! 🙀
I’m in the middle of moving my whole house and studio westward so I’m looking at several weeks of downtime. 🙁
Van-city??
Curious - how many of us are from Vancouver? I recently moved back and would love to connect with fellow synth nerds.
well..... me & Doc often go for coffee, so sure, come along sometime... any time.
do u bike ride??

also.... we use to do a casual half assed synth chat/meet way back. i'm not sure if that happens much anymore.

d.

:coffee-machine: :coffee-love: :coffee-cheers:
Coffee sounds great! Haven’t ridden a bike since I was vacationing in Germany a few years back, and I was pretty bad - whoever came up with the saying “it’s like riding a bike!” was full of shit. Loved riding as a kid, horrible at it as an adult.

Doc invited me over to his home lab many years ago, he probably doesn’t remember. Would definitely be down for a coffee meet up with you guys whenever things start going again.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 pm

UPDATE:

1) Moog$Fool$ and I had coffee again today (and cookies, and lunch, and ice cream cones at Ikea) -- we went to what is now my favorite coffee place: the Mighty Oak, on the corner of W 18th Ave and Columbia Street, just a couple of blocks east of Cambie. It's one of the most pleasant spots in all of Vancouver -- a quiet, tree lined residential street -- and the coffee and (especially) snacks are fantastic.

2) I only got two Freak Shifts in the mail this week. I was shooting for five, but a) I got too busy with school work, and b) I took a day off to develop the new eurorack ASR layout. I actually completed three Freak Shifts (and half-finished a fourth), but upon final testing, one of the three was found to be defective. I only had about 10 minutes to try to troubleshoot it, and I failed. I had to leave for an appointment, so I packed up the two units that worked and went. I'm going to fix the broken unit tonight. It's probably something simple -- I already know that the Dome filters and multipliers work perfectly, because I test all those things as soon as I'm done building them -- the problem is either with the output summing and differencing amplifiers, or on the panel (Funny story: When I tried to troubleshoot it, I took it all apart so I could inspect all the solder joints to look for an obvious solder bridge. I didn't find anything, so I plugged it all back together, but without any hardware -- just loosely plugged together -- and it worked perfectly. So, I thought maybe it was just a misaligned pin or something, so I took it apart again and put it back together with all the hardware, and the problem reappeared. That's when I gave up. To quote the great luthier Jerry Rosa, "it ain't easy being me."

I'll get 6 or 7 done for next week so I get back on track, because I really (really) don't want to get behind.
How can the wind with so many around me? I feel lost in the city

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:08 am

UPDATE: I fixed the broken module. It was caused by a dodgy 3-pin socket. Evidently, it was only making intermittent contact, and so when the spacers were removed (and the boards weren't pressed tightly together), the contact was more constant, but when the boards were pressed tightly together, the contact was lost. I don't really know how or why this sometimes happens, but this is the second dodgy socket I've encountered. Anyway, I desoldered it, threw it in the bin, and replaced it. Now, the module works perfectly, but I can't send it off until Monday (argghh).

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:33 am

I saw this thread today, and ordered via pm. I have been thinking about a frequency shifter for a while now, and this one seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Great to see the many updates, doc. I also wanted to tell Dcramer: what a great demo. I laughed out loud at the very end!

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:02 am

I may have missed this, but what is the poweer draw of the Freak Shift?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 am

pieter wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:02 am
Here's the official answer: I don't fuckin' know. :miley:

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 am

jonny_w wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:51 pm
Haven’t ridden a bike since I was vacationing in Germany a few years back, and I was pretty bad - whoever came up with the saying “it’s like riding a bike!” was full of shit. Loved riding as a kid, horrible at it as an adult.
This amuses me. Here's the rules of riding a bike: 1) Turn the pedal thingy with your feet. 2) Don't fall down.

IT. AIN'T. THAT. HARD.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but if I can do it, anyone can, because I have traditionally been completely useless when it comes to actually using my body for various tasks and functions. Can't catch. Can't throw. Can't actually do anything remotely sporty. Was always the last one to be picked for any team (always).

EDIT: Except the spelling team. I won all the spelling bees. But spelling isn't a sport.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:10 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 am
pieter wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:02 am
Here's the official answer: I don't fuckin' know. :miley:
lol. Fair enough. I have headroom in my case, and I'd be surprised if it is over 200 mA.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm

I’ll test mine when it arrives and will let you know.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 1

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 am
Can't catch. Can't throw. Can't actually do anything remotely sporty. Was always the last one to be picked for any team (always).

EDIT: Except the spelling team. I won all the spelling bees. But spelling isn't a sport.
You can be on my kickball team.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am

batch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm
I'm just curious, how do you test that? I was thinking of putting small resistors (like, 10 ohms) in series with the power rails coming into the module, measuring the voltage across the resistors, and calculating the current from Ohm's law. Is there a better way that doesn't require specialized equipment?

chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Hurrah, it arrived today :hyper: Here are a few whoosing sounds to celebrate.

I got the 50's themed green n cream edition! :love:

Thanks doc, you did a great job!! :yay:

chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Oh yeah, that demo is doc all the way.. Rubicon, Dixie and Dr. Octature, what else could I use :hihi:

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Cool sounds.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:43 pm
I could maybe squeeze in one more black panel for you, MARK27.
That is very generous of you. Thank you! I will PM you to follow up.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:43 pm
I could maybe squeeze in one more black panel for you, MARK27. I just can't believe that you only buy black-empaneled modules -- that must really limit your choices.
It's funny you mentioned this as "limiting my choices." When I first started buying eurorack modules in 2015, I insisted that I would allow myself this indulgence with the restriction that I would only buy black paneled modules. In 2015, this was a pretty serious restriction! I thought I would save myself all sorts of money and avoid the GAS.

After three or four years, black panels started becoming more popular. Most major manufacturers started to offer black panel options. Just about every module I ever wanted was either offered in black, or a third party like Magpie was making black replacement panels. Needless to say, I abandoned my earlier attempts at moderation.

At the end of the day, I am building my dream instrument -- the synthesizer I always wanted. I'm not trying to be a rock star anymore, this is all just for myself. I also build my own cases. Wanting my eurorack system to have a consistent look is no longer the restriction it was in 2015.
insoul8 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm
Haha, I was about to say the same but didn't want to derail the thread. I personally don't care about panel color at all and my modular looks like a patchwork quilt. I'll never understand forgoing a module you want just because of its color.
I'm glad my preferences can provide you with a chuckle.

I initially suggested I wouldn't buy the Freq Shift if there was no black panel because that is my usual response. In general, if a given module doesn't have a black panel option, I don't bother. Another manufacturer will offer something nearly identical in black. For something as unique as Doc's Freq Shift, I would go the extra mile to get a panel made. As it is, I will be replacing the knobs he uses as well. I pretty much customize everything.

I find it strange when people react with incredulity when one expresses an aesthetic preference. It's even stranger when modular aficionados express such sentiments. I mean, aren't we all into modular because we want something beyond the usual offerings? Furthermore, no one bats an eye when car enthusiasts or guitar geeks want the objects of their obsessions to look a certain way. Details like color have absolutely nothing to do with the primary functions of those things. The same goes for our clothes for that matter. If a pair of shoes fit your exact needs but only came in pink, would you still buy them? Why is aesthetic preference acceptable (or even expected) for those things, but ridiculous for eurorack?

This is modular, son. We are all doing our own thing here.

Huba-Swift
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:33 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am
batch wrote:
I'm just curious, how do you test that? I was thinking of putting small resistors (like, 10 ohms) in series with the power rails coming into the module, measuring the voltage across the resistors, and calculating the current from Ohm's law. Is there a better way that doesn't require specialized equipment?
Wouldn't just a typical milliamp meter in series with the power inputs work? My power supply has a really handy built in display where it shows it's current voltage and amperage being drawn from it on each output. You can even set it to trip at a certain current draw. Makes it easy to know how much a module draws. Also useful for when I put something together. If I know it should be drawing 100mA on both rails, I just set the max amperage to be slightly above it and have a pretty much zero chance of ever blowing anything up on the board. Very handy!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 pm

chrisdurftal wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks doc, you did a great job!! :yay:
Thanks for the kind works, and the cool demo! I personally really like the green-and-cream combo. I never really thought of it as a 50s look, but I guess it is.

I'm going to have to order some panel components in order to finish up the existing orders, and will do so before I go on vacation. I'm going to order a bunch of black knobs, and will probably just do the rest of the builds with black knobs after I get back, unless there are special colour requests.

BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:18 pm

I'm a weirdo about panel colors, too.

My synth rig is all silver panels and my percussion rig all black panels, very much on purpose.

Even mismatched knobs across my own setup grates on my nerves and aesthetic tastes a bit.

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am
batch wrote:
I use the Joranalogue Test 3 module. Super useful if you are building modules and want to find out what their current draw is, etc.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT
Days since last purchase = 1

sygor
Common Wiggler

Post by sygor » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 am

chrisdurftal wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Ooooh, I like the green and cream knobs, I wonder what mine will look like!?! I have to say, it's a really interesting idea to order a module and not know what you'll get aesthetically. Exciting!

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 pm
I'm going to order a bunch of black knobs, and will probably just do the rest of the builds with black knobs after I get back, unless there are special colour requests.
I expressed a slight preference for blue in my order, but black would be fine too. Have a good holiday, Doc!

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am

MARK27 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm
Haha, I was about to say the same but didn't want to derail the thread. I personally don't care about panel color at all and my modular looks like a patchwork quilt. I'll never understand forgoing a module you want just because of its color.
I'm glad my preferences can provide you with a chuckle.

I initially suggested I wouldn't buy the Freq Shift if there was no black panel because that is my usual response. In general, if a given module doesn't have a black panel option, I don't bother. Another manufacturer will offer something nearly identical in black. For something as unique as Doc's Freq Shift, I would go the extra mile to get a panel made. As it is, I will be replacing the knobs he uses as well. I pretty much customize everything.

I find it strange when people react with incredulity when one expresses an aesthetic preference. It's even stranger when modular aficionados express such sentiments. I mean, aren't we all into modular because we want something beyond the usual offerings? Furthermore, no one bats an eye when car enthusiasts or guitar geeks want the objects of their obsessions to look a certain way. Details like color have absolutely nothing to do with the primary functions of those things. The same goes for our clothes for that matter. If a pair of shoes fit your exact needs but only came in pink, would you still buy them? Why is aesthetic preference acceptable (or even expected) for those things, but ridiculous for eurorack?

This is modular, son. We are all doing our own thing here.
I think you are being a bit disingenuous in your comparisons, at least in my opinion. When I am in the market for a new car, I don't sit there and think, hmm, what color car do I want and then go from there. I select a car based on many other factors that relate to its primary functions and then, once I have decided on a make, model, and year, I take a look at the colors offered and choose one. If I wanted a green 2020 Honda Accord but it didn't come in green, I would undoubtedly choose another color. It's really no different for guitars either, when I decided on a new Les Paul, there were only 3 colors offered for the model I wanted and that was fine. None of them were ideal but that was the guitar I wanted.

While I certainly do enjoy the thought and creativity that go into the many different eurorack designs out there, for me they are never at the forefront because I am not buying them for how they look (at least not the color scheme- ergonomics and layout do play a role for me though). I do however buy shoes at least in part for how they look (but a big argument can be made for comfort being the primary driver for this anyway) because shoes, along with clothes (for a lot of people at least), have a secondary function in society where they are used as a form of artistic expression. Now your point of being able to visually express yourself with your modular is not completely lost on me but adhering to some aesthetic standard to the point where you would forgo a module that has no apparent equal but still doesn't comply with your color scheme doesn't really compute for me. But that's fine of course. Everyone can and should do what makes them happy. No judgement here- different stokes for different folks. If part of the fun for you is finding a way to make everything match then who am I to criticize? I guess I just don't need my modular to look a certain way in order for it to inspire me. The sounds I can make with it are more than enough. Much like I don't really care what color all of the tools in my toolbox are so long as they do what I want them to do and how I want them to do it. You are right, I got into modular because I wanted something beyond the usual offerings of a fixed architecture synthesizer, not because I wanted to build something that looks cool first.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:55 am

insoul8 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:17 am
You are right, I got into modular because I wanted something beyond the usual offerings of a fixed architecture synthesizer, not because I wanted to build something that looks cool first.
I think that's what is hitting that nerve -- you putting words in my mouth. I never said that my first requirement was that my modular look cool. I haven't sacrificed anything to get a euro system that has a consistent look.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if I see a module that a manufacturer doesn't offer with a black panel, I simply get an equivalent module from somewhere else. If it is something really unique, like Doc's Freq Shift, I go the extra mile to acquire a black panel elsewhere. Function first, look second. I never said otherwise. You did.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”