Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Alexander Kuznetsov
Common Wiggler

Re: Doc Sketchy's new analog FREQUENCY SHIFTER!

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:30 am

Pm'd.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 04, 2021 2:00 am

Hey Team, sorry I didn't get any invoices out today. I'm marking my final exams, and am in a bit of a time crunch with that, so I didn't have any time today to do anything Freak Shift related. Hopefully tomorrow I can get those first 15 or so invoices out.
Things are all in colours and the size of others shall send you forward

zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi » Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 am

Doc, no rush on my end. Thanks for the update.

I'm in the process of a moderate organization of multiple cases, but still at the Modular Grid stage. It would help to know the width of Freak Shift. Couldn't find that detail mentioned anywhere. Could you tell us that and any other physical details for the production model?

Speaking of MG, do you shun it with respect to your self-released modules? Or have I missed something?

Cheers

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Tue May 04, 2021 4:03 am

Same here. I'm looking forward toward receiving the module, but it's not urgent! I'll happily wait a bit longer if it means less stress on your end! :)

As for width: I think I saw 12 hp mentioned earlier. At least that's what I put into my MG rack as a placeholder :)

zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi » Tue May 04, 2021 4:13 am

x2mirko, thanks for the info. I guess a blank panel will suffice (for now).

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

I'm using the 12hp Modcan Dual Freq Shifter as a placeholder on MG until this panel/details are uploaded.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 pm

The panel is 12HP -- it is exactly 60.6 mm wide, and 128.5 mm tall, as per the Doepfer standard.

What is MG? I can't tell you whether I shun it or not, if I don't know what it is.

(Actually, my friend has an MG, and I would shun it, because it is always in the shop. My Mazda 3s have never had any problems, other than me running them into stuff.)

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Post by drewfx1 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:26 pm

ModularGrid. It's where even more people are likely to discover this module (and videos for it) once there's a picture of it there for people to insert into their "want" racks.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue May 04, 2021 6:13 pm

If Doc will post a quality straight-on pic of a built module with a production panel, any of us can add it to Modular Grid with ease if he doesn't feel like messing with it.

Contrary to the cars (MGs), Modular Grid is reliable and double plus useful, plus it's fun.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 am

I'll post it on Modular Grid when I finally get some panels. I'm still waiting for my second opinion quote (the first seemed a bit pricey) -- the panel companies are a bit slow on the uptake.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am

Well, this morning, I got my second panel quote, and it is very reasonable. I'll be placing the order later today, I think, so hopefully I'll have panels in a couple of weeks (15 days from order is the promised delivery, but it could be less). I'll start sending out Paypal invoices later today. I've also got to order some new parts, as I'm stuck on unit number 16 because I have run out of a couple of critical parts, and I will run out of a lot more before I finish all the current orders (up to 38 right now) because I initially underestimated how many of these I would be selling.

zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi » Wed May 12, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks for the update. The project seems to be moving forward steadily.

wombat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wombat » Wed May 12, 2021 12:16 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am
I'm stuck on unit number 16 because I have run out of a couple of critical parts, and I will run out of a lot more before I finish all the current orders (up to 38 right now) because I initially underestimated how many of these I would be selling.
Stuck at 17 in the cue! But excited to hear the progress

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Wed May 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Same. I think i'm No. 24 in the cue.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Just a word to the wise: If you haven't sent me your full name and address and email address, I'd be very happy to receive those because I'm in the process of making a customer database spreadsheet in Excel with all the info, and I'm missing some key info for quite a few of you.

Also, I'll be ordering 150 panels (black graphics on bare aluminum) so if anyone has been hesitating to get in the queue, please go ahead and send me a PM. I'll be building these damn things for the foreseeable future.

For the one or two of you who requested black panels, I'm still trying to figure that out. I might have to get those made locally (and there may be a surcharge).

zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi » Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 am

Doc, I just sent you an email with all of my particulars. Previously, I'd given you my PayPal email address but nothing else.

Cheers

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 pm

The panels have been ordered! It's probably going to be a good month before they arrive, because its several working days before they get me the official panel art for final approval, and then it's 15 working days before delivery, and then there is UPS delivery, which takes a few days.

I'm hoping to have all of the units built and ready for the panels by the time they arrive.

Alexander Kuznetsov
Common Wiggler

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Thu May 13, 2021 2:37 pm

We'll have to be patient.

McIntosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McIntosh » Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 am

:hyper: Good things come to they who wait! :guinness:
This world of abundance

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am

So, progress update: The panels have been ordered. It's going to take three weeks. I'm working on unit 16 but I've run out of lots of the parts, so have had to pause the build. I'll be placing orders for replacement parts tomorrow so will resume building midweek. I'm going to do an inventory and make sure I order all the parts I need to get to at least unit number 50 (there are 39 orders). On Monday I'm going to attempt laser engraving some black panels. One customer demands a black panel, but if they turn out really nice I'll post some pics and probably more of you will be opting for them. I can make as many as 22 right now, but I'll probably fuck up a few of those, so let's assume I'll have a dozen. I presume that once we get our shit together, we'll be able to bang them out pretty quickly, but I will still have to drill them by hand, so there's lots of opportunities to fuck them up after they're engraved.

In the meantime, I'm working on something else: the Delta Quadrant -- this is my dual multiplier with VC-Quadrant control and Squish (there's a video on YouTube). I'm making this in euro format, and I'm hoping it will be 12HP, but the panel is quite a bit more complicated than the Freak Shift, so it may have to be a little larger (but I'm really going to try to stuff it into 12HP). The circuit boards are all laid out, and they will fit (just barely) behind a 12HP panel. They're another stacked affair, but with one fewer board than Freak Shift, so they'll only be about 2.25" deep. I'll have the prototype built later this week. Further details will be posted on the Doc Sketchy thread, if you're interested.

muffdiver
Common Wiggler

Post by muffdiver » Sun May 16, 2021 2:38 am

If your keeping track - count me in for a Black Panel ~~~
---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,

---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am
the Delta Quadrant -- this is my dual multiplier with VC-Quadrant control and Squish (there's a video on YouTube).
Does someone has the link. When ist search for "delta quadrant sketchy " I only get startrek content. :lol:

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 am

EASYBOY wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 am
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am
the Delta Quadrant -- this is my dual multiplier with VC-Quadrant control and Squish (there's a video on YouTube).
Does someone has the link. When ist search for "delta quadrant sketchy " I only get startrek content. :lol:
There you go:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon May 17, 2021 10:48 pm

:omg: Squish!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 am

Yeah, Delta Quadrant is a name I just came up with on the weekend. That video is a couple of years old. I'm nearly finished with the layout of the euro version. I'm still not 100% sure that I can pull off the Translator board, but I think I can. In any case, it's going to be the densest and busiest panel in the history of eurorack, I think.

In other news, today my buddy Ian Craig (yes, that's experimental composer and performing and recording artist Ian William Craig) and I laser-engraved a couple of black panels for Freak Shift. They turned out very nice. I'm not going to post a picture until I have one mounted on an actual module, which should be sometime tomorrow. I still have to drill them without scratching the shit out of them -- that could be a challenge.

I have enough blanks to make 16 black panels in total. Engraving each one takes about 10 minutes, so it is a little bit tedious, which is why we only engraved two today (after spending a fair bit of time figuring it out, doing a practice engraving, fixing something that wasn't working very well, etc, etc).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”