Toppobrillo Sport Modulator 2- discussion and signup

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Toppobrillo Sport Modulator 2- discussion and signup

Post by drxcm »

toppobrillo wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 pm
noises wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:49 pm That's what I figured, a stolen package.
good news- the module was recovered and picked up by it's rightful owner. the pawn shop was very cool about it.

"Happy owner of SM2 - what are peoples fav ways of using this module? I'm confused!"

what are you confused about? you could work through the patch examples mdoudroff has compiled to start, i think it's a few pages back.
It would be great if you could assemble these into a document with some basic info about the functionality of the module. I am finding it a pain to have to keep finding the right parts of this thread.

Don’t get me wrong, love what you are doing / have done, but a manual of sorts would be highly appreciated!!
grrrwaaa
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grrrwaaa »

There's another thread here for how to use it: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 7#p3597167
oopsy = daisy hardware via max/msp gen~: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 6&t=242322
modular recordings: https://dokkaebi.bandcamp.com
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

drxcm wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:20 am
toppobrillo wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 pm
noises wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:49 pm That's what I figured, a stolen package.
good news- the module was recovered and picked up by it's rightful owner. the pawn shop was very cool about it.

"Happy owner of SM2 - what are peoples fav ways of using this module? I'm confused!"

what are you confused about? you could work through the patch examples mdoudroff has compiled to start, i think it's a few pages back.
It would be great if you could assemble these into a document with some basic info about the functionality of the module. I am finding it a pain to have to keep finding the right parts of this thread.

Don’t get me wrong, love what you are doing / have done, but a manual of sorts would be highly appreciated!!

FYI- the old SM manual http://sdiy.org/toppobrillo/SM/SM%20manual.pdf is still about 85% relevant to it's basic operations, i'd say. Also James' Ciglers old video on MK1 is great.. I did post a graphic a while back that illustrate the various modes' behaviors graphically- I'll see if I can link that too.I'm just getting back and mostly finished writing the MF2 manual..trying to find some cohesion/ consistency that will work for all my new manuals, working in parallel like that helps nail it down.
Vow3ll
Common Wiggler

Post by Vow3ll »

If anyone is looking, Control and Schneidersladen have them in stock. Mine arrives today. :party:
Chasing After Monsters with a Butterfly Net
~YouTube ~ Bandcamp ~ Instagram ~ Reverb
greyscales
Common Wiggler

Post by greyscales »

Just got mine in yesterday from Control. I’ve gotten really interested in sample and holds recently so I couldn’t resist getting one.
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

Vow3ll wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 am If anyone is looking, Control and Schneidersladen have them in stock. Mine arrives today. :party:
Thanks for the heads up, grabbed one! Was really sad I was too late for this batch, but now it all feels better :hail:
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

Appeared today, very exciting! Love the feel of the switches. Also, does anyone know how to leave the pre-order queue so others get a shot? Now that I got one in retail.
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
MoS-squared
Common Wiggler

Post by MoS-squared »

anosou wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:27 pm Appeared today, very exciting! Love the feel of the switches. Also, does anyone know how to leave the pre-order queue so others get a shot? Now that I got one in retail.
Send him an email at :woah:
► Show Spoiler
and let him know
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle »

Does anyone else have quite loose knobs? It's not an issue but there is a bit of wobble, particularly on the CV attenuverters.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

http://bit.ly/2Mekran

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

wavecircle wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:49 am Does anyone else have quite loose knobs? It's not an issue but there is a bit of wobble, particularly on the CV attenuverters.
That’s just how they are made. No collar pots = wobble. Wish he would change them because I love the design of the modules otherwise
Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf »

hypnoz wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:18 pm
wavecircle wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:49 am Does anyone else have quite loose knobs? It's not an issue but there is a bit of wobble, particularly on the CV attenuverters.
That’s just how they are made. No collar pots = wobble. Wish he would change them because I love the design of the modules otherwise
I don't like them either. I have Multifilter 2 and would vastly prefer make noise style potentiometers. A little part of me do like how easy it is to turn the big frequency/cutoff knob, but I wouldn't mind just a little bit more of resistance. Using no collar potentiometers could also result in added stress on the pcb (don't know exactly how big of a problem that truly is to be honest though)
He_lium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by He_lium »

Also loose knobs on mine but even more on CV attenuverters of the multifilter 2 received recently. Much prefer playing with my OG multifilter for that reason although multifilter 2 is a great module. These are the only 2 modules I own or have owned that have such loose knobs.
wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle »

He_lium wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:36 am
Also loose knobs on mine but even more on CV attenuverters of the multifilter 2 received recently. Much prefer playing with my OG multifilter for that reason although multifilter 2 is a great module. These are the only 2 modules I own or have owned that have such loose knobs.
Me too, I picked up both the SM2 and MF2 and while they are great modules, the pots were far more sturdy on the mk1 versions. Parts are tough to get hold of in bulk the last few years, perhaps this has something to do with it?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

http://bit.ly/2Mekran

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka
Vow3ll
Common Wiggler

Post by Vow3ll »

If anyone is still looking for one, I'm selling mine at below cost, just don't have the hp for it in my new mobile case, see the link below.
Chasing After Monsters with a Butterfly Net
~YouTube ~ Bandcamp ~ Instagram ~ Reverb
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

Giving credit where credit is due, the OG Toppobrillio modules had some of the best torque in their knobs that I find is a rarity in Eurorack modules. Frap Tools comes close, and also I have had some Doepfer modules that have also had some nice resistance to the knobs, but I always felt the OG Toppobrillo modules were the perfect balance.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

BaloErets wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 pm
Giving credit where credit is due, the OG Toppobrillio modules had some of the best torque in their knobs that I find is a rarity in Eurorack modules. Frap Tools comes close, and also I have had some Doepfer modules that have also had some nice resistance to the knobs, but I always felt the OG Toppobrillo modules were the perfect balance.
the pots I used long ago were bourns 12mm, they same style that cwjeman uses iir. Then I switched briefly to BI conductive plastic pots that are guaranteed for up to 100K turns (most carbon pots 'guarantee' operation w in spec to 10-15K turns) and people complained about em.. since going smaller parts and tighter construction, I've been using 9mm pots, as probably 95% of euro modules do. Alpha, Alps and Bourns primarily, trusted mfrs. Sometimes I use song huei pots as well- as many other mfrs do, but I won't use them in the audio path as they are generally too noisy... they also are inconsistent where the little deadzones at the ends of the travel are concerned.. This is why they are .15 a piece at qty. The Alps are actually the quietest- followed by the bourns and alphas.. sorry that some folks don't like the feel of the pots we are using, it is what it is, they are quality parts, and you don't need to be concerned with a bit of lateral play. We try to get the ones with the metal collars that go part way up the shaft as it minimizes play, but they aren't always available from the brands I'd prefer to use, especially lately.. as far as panel- mount pots go- sure those are fine, but as I've said before,don't mistake mounting to a panel with a better or more reliable part necessarily. I may use some for the new module (Cluster, see thread) that I am in the process of releasing- if they are quiet and consistent enough. Otherwise I'll continue to use the collared alps ,which I actually quite like, feel-wise and performance wise.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

toppobrillo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:04 pm
BaloErets wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 pm
the pots I used long ago were bourns 12mm, they same style that cwjeman uses iir. Then I switched briefly to BI conductive plastic pots that are guaranteed for up to 100K turns (most carbon pots 'guarantee' operation w in spec to 10-15K turns) and people complained about em.. since going smaller parts and tighter construction, I've been using 9mm pots, as probably 95% of euro modules do. Alpha, Alps and Bourns primarily, trusted mfrs. Sometimes I use song huei pots as well- as many other mfrs do, but I won't use them in the audio path as they are generally too noisy... they also are inconsistent where the little deadzones at the ends of the travel are concerned.. This is why they are .15 a piece at qty. The Alps are actually the quietest- followed by the bourns and alphas.. sorry that some folks don't like the feel of the pots we are using, it is what it is, they are quality parts, and you don't need to be concerned with a bit of lateral play. We try to get the ones with the metal collars that go part way up the shaft as it minimizes play, but they aren't always available from the brands I'd prefer to use, especially lately.. as far as panel- mount pots go- sure those are fine, but as I've said before,don't mistake mounting to a panel with a better or more reliable part necessarily. I may use some for the new module (Cluster, see thread) that I am in the process of releasing- if they are quiet and consistent enough. Otherwise I'll continue to use the collared alps ,which I actually quite like, feel-wise and performance wise.
Thanks for the sharing the details. Hope it didn't come off as a complaint. Was quite the opposite. The revamped SM was for me exactly what I expected from the details you shared during the development and design periods. Again giving credit where it was due, your OG modules are among the best torque/resistance that I have encountered in Eurorack.
Last edited by BaloErets on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

Oups double post.
Last edited by BaloErets on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

Make that a double double.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”