Freestanding patch cable rack?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Freestanding patch cable rack?

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am

Anyone know of one of these? (I have searched the forums without joy).

Ideally a vertical plank with a base. With a cable rack nailed in. Perhaps with some aesthetic element.

My current solution is an Erica cable tidy screwed to a dining chair which, frankly, is both cluttered and crap. I must do better.

Thank you in advance.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Freestanding patch cable rack?

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am

Oh, this 🤦‍♂️

viewtopic.php?t=198037

“Freestanding,” not floor, being the right search term. Any alternatives that don’t require my gross incompetence applied to diy welcomed.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am

buy a Ladik module and get one for free... ;-)

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:29 am

I use a HEX-01 Eurorack Patch Hanger mounted on a mic stand - https://www.perfectcircuit.com/eurodesk-z-hex-01.html

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am

$49.99 what a bargain! :sarcasm:

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am

pieter wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:38 am
Just slap 'Eurorack' on it and charge at 400% :lol:
Don't believe the hype.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:45 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:29 am
I use a HEX-01 Eurorack Patch Hanger mounted on a mic stand - https://www.perfectcircuit.com/eurodesk-z-hex-01.html
Oh, they made it! Found these on Kickstarter, couldn’t see them anywhere else.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am

pieter wrote:
Cheaper, tidier, and - I would wager - more functional than my cable chair 😂
37C862B5-F255-4123-92BB-EC45293A6510.jpeg

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am

pieter wrote:
You're not wrong, but I look at things as a time / money tradeoff. I resisted buying one of these forever, but realized how much time I was spending digging through a bin of cables, looking for the right one, etc. Now, I look at the rack, grab the right length from the start. I also got it for a discount in one of their holiday sales. his has become a timesaver, which is worth it since I don't get much free time to sit in my studio due to family and work demands on my time.

I have also started replacing my original cables with colored cables to make it even easier to identify lengths.

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 am

🤔
24195FB9-AC6D-44E3-ADC6-891324969F01.png

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 pm

Fits on a mic stand, which makes it freestanding.

https://www.eurodesk-z.com/collections/ ... ble-hanger

Edit: Oh, as above. Carry on, as you were ;)

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm

pieter wrote:
Spend a ton of hours designing a product in CAD software, pay for samples, get it made at a steel fabricator in bulk, pay to get them powder-coated at another vender, and let us know the price you can come up with to produce them for a very small target audience. ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FS/T: Mint Digitone - Looking for Digitone Keys

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:46 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 am
🤔

24195FB9-AC6D-44E3-ADC6-891324969F01.png
:goo:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

FS/T: Mint Digitone - Looking for Digitone Keys

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:07 pm

exper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm
pieter wrote:
Spend a ton of hours designing a product in CAD software, pay for samples, get it made at a steel fabricator in bulk, pay to get them powder-coated at another vender, and let us know the price you can come up with to produce them for a very small target audience. ;)
Yup, I get it. It may very well be an appropriate price, or it may have a ridiculous mark-up. Who knows? What I know is that I'm not paying that price for it.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm

I have the Hex-01 hangar and am very happy with it since it does exactly what it says it will! It has an impressive capacity and made it easy for me to sort my cables by length which means never wondering if the length I'm looking for is in the pile or where to find it.

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:51 pm

ima_jrk wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am
Now, I look at the rack, grab the right length from the start. I also got it for a discount in one of their holiday sales. his has become a timesaver, which is worth it since I don't get much free time to sit in my studio due to family and work demands on my time.

I have also started replacing my original cables with colored cables to make it even easier to identify lengths.
I can see that having cables sorted and ready to pull would be a massive time saver when patching. Granted, for sure. But where I always fall down when envisioning these is the "having to sort/re-hang" bit, every time you pull a patch. Surely the time savings gained in use are lost in setting up for re-use? Or do you still find it to be a net gain?

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:58 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:51 pm
ima_jrk wrote:
Now, I look at the rack, grab the right length from the start. I also got it for a discount in one of their holiday sales. his has become a timesaver, which is worth it since I don't get much free time to sit in my studio due to family and work demands on my time.

I can see that having cables sorted and ready to pull would be a massive time saver when patching. Granted, for sure. But where I always fall down when envisioning these is the "having to sort/re-hang" bit, every time you pull a patch. Surely the time savings gained in use are lost in setting up for re-use? Or do you still find it to be a net gain?
It literally takes less than a minute.
Don't believe the hype.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:11 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
ima_jrk wrote:

I just unpatched my system after reading your comment and realized that all of the extra effort required stems from using the cable rack rather than sorting. I suspect it does result in a net time savings due to never struggling to find the right cable but, more importantly, the time that is saved is time when you are in the moment and not having to break concentration to find a cable at that time is worth a bit of extra cleanup time.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:23 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
ima_jrk wrote:

When you pull a patch, grab the cables in the order you want to put them away (colour/length, however you organise them). Problem solved.

Edit: it's a bit like doing the dishes after you had dinner, versus doing the dishes beforer you start cooking... ;)

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Old floor lamp.
24” piece of 1x3 pine.
Some 3” finishing nails.
Duct tape.

Drive nails in a line about 1/2” from edge of wood (don’t drive any through). Alternate 3/16" and 1/2" spacing.
Tape wood crossways to lamp. You may have to remove some nails to get a neat taping job. Replace nails after taping.
Insert moody bulb into lamp.
Last edited by Pelsea on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Hang on.

There are people with many cables who don’t use racks?!

This is like the conversation with my sister, when she said she had no use for a tumble dryer 🤔

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 pm

I have a Hex-01, and it's well worth it.
As was said earlier, the price really isn't that bad when you consider it's a solid piece of powdercoated steel, fabricated for a niche market. It's worth noting that a fab shop will charge you significantly more for a pieces that aren't completely flat, as this has near the edges to keep cables from accidentally sliding out.
If it were plastic, I'd agree that the price would be high. But this thing has some actual weight to it, and will not break if it falls over! The little plastic cable holders that Ladik sends with orders are nice, but I've broken a tine on one of mine by accident, and I don't think I even bumped into it that hard.

For years I just kept all my cables in drawers, and would have to rummage through to find one the right size. Never again.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:20 pm

deftinwulf wrote:

Yes as a time saver for longer cables. Just have to eyeball by dangling length now, soon colors will make it even faster. I just wish I had thought the color thing through when I started. Of course back then I didn’t realize I would routinely have use for 3 and 4 foot cables!

At the end of the day I grimaced at the price when I bought it but I needed a free standing solution. This and $25 for a heavy base mic stand and I am just thankful to have it-no regrets!

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am
pieter wrote:
Cheaper, tidier, and - I would wager - more functional than my cable chair 😂

37C862B5-F255-4123-92BB-EC45293A6510.jpeg
Awesome!

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm

pieter wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:07 pm
exper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm
pieter wrote:
Yup, I get it. It may very well be an appropriate price, or it may have a ridiculous mark-up. Who knows? What I know is that I'm not paying that price for it.
If you have (or have access to) a 3D printer, plenty of options here: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=eu ... t=relevant
FS/FT: 1010Music Bitbox Mk2 trade for Odessa+HEL or sell for $522 shipped

Return to “Eurorack Modules”