Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Post by starthief » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am
I expect some defensive replies about character/mojo
Then take it as said :)

On Mimeophon, I think Color is more of a tilt EQ, a bit more subtle and it can take a few repeats to accumulate. The higher tilt is also more subtle than the lower.

On Beads I think it's a mildly resonant LPF or HPF, and the effect is extremely obvious even on the first delay repeat.

Beads' Shape is still active in delay mode as an envelope, which can be pretty interesting, and attenurandomizers for time and pitch can add some flavor.

I discovered that using both Mimeophon and Beads delays in parallel and then crossfading between them -- which I was originally doing just to A/B test them -- can sound pretty fantastic and lush :D

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 am
autopoiesis wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am
I expect some defensive replies about character/mojo
Then take it as said :)

On Mimeophon, I think Color is more of a tilt EQ, a bit more subtle and it can take a few repeats to accumulate. The higher tilt is also more subtle than the lower.

On Beads I think it's a mildly resonant LPF or HPF, and the effect is extremely obvious even on the first delay repeat.

Beads' Shape is still active in delay mode as an envelope, which can be pretty interesting, and attenurandomizers for time and pitch can add some flavor.

I discovered that using both Mimeophon and Beads delays in parallel and then crossfading between them -- which I was originally doing just to A/B test them -- can sound pretty fantastic and lush :D
Thanks, that's helpful. How about when you shift Beads between externally clocked delay times? On Mimeophon it sounds so seamless and free of pitch artifacts that it can sound like multiple delay lines when modulated.

I have a Mimeophon and love it, by the way. And I do recognize and appreciate its character. Just can't help but wonder.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:23 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
How about when you shift Beads between externally clocked delay times? On Mimeophon it sounds so seamless and free of pitch artifacts that it can sound like multiple delay lines when modulated.
There are no pitch artifacts with Beads doing that either. It's pretty smooth :)

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm

It is only when the module is internally clocked and when you modulate DENSITY that you get pitch changes. This is deliberate, the module naively moves the playhead along the tape, and there are many interesting effects based on that.

When the module is externally clocked, and/or when you adjust the multiplication/division ratios, a crossfade is applied between the different delay times. This creates no pitch change artifact.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:19 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm
It is only when the module is internally clocked and when you modulate DENSITY that you get pitch changes. This is deliberate, the module naively moves the playhead along the tape, and there are many interesting effects based on that.

When the module is externally clocked, and/or when you adjust the multiplication/division ratios, a crossfade is applied between the different delay times. This creates no pitch change artifact.
I didn't mean for you to explain that twice, haha :) Was more fishing for qualitative impressions of the two modules on this aspect. Thank you both.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 am

I am trying to update Beads. However, when I hold “freeze” upon power up of the module, the “Freeze” and “Seed” lights blink in an alternating pattern. Is this normal when updating firmware? It is not mentioned in the firmware update procedure. And module wouldn’t update upon first tries.

EDIT: So, this is the update mode, I now found out. Great! However, even when playing the beads.wav file from a Bitbox 1010 into Beads, the module doesn't restart after the file is finished - the Seed button keeps blinking slowly, while the input LED and the "J" CV input lights are pure white.

Any hints as to how to best do this? I thought the Bitbox=>Beads would be safe, but seems not.
My latest release, including vinyl!

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 am

I’ve seen plenty of recommendations to just play it from your phone.
digidandy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 am
I am trying to update Beads. However, when I hold “freeze” upon power up of the module, the “Freeze” and “Seed” lights blink in an alternating pattern. Is this normal when updating firmware? It is not mentioned in the firmware update procedure. And module wouldn’t update upon first tries.

EDIT: So, this is the update mode, I now found out. Great! However, even when playing the beads.wav file from a Bitbox 1010 into Beads, the module doesn't restart after the file is finished - the Seed button keeps blinking slowly, while the input LED and the "J" CV input lights are pure white.

Any hints as to how to best do this? I thought the Bitbox=>Beads would be safe, but seems not.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:41 pm

press freeze one more time before playing the file

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Is it possible that the firmware got updated without the module being restarted?

Because I have just tried these two new visual behaviours from the firmware, and they are working as described here:

* The audio quality LED temporarily changes color when the input gain is being manually adjusted.
* Assign + FREEZE now enables or disables the auto-saving of the buffer. The current setting is indicated for a short amount of time by the brightness of the FREEZE button (bright = on, dark = off).

That is, as long as “LED temporarily changes color” means going from a muted green to red when the feedback knob is going from CCW to CW?

Can anyone with the new firmware confirm the last visual cue, for instance?

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:19 pm

I haven't looked at this thread since Beads came out. It sounds like there is a new firmware update but I can't find a link in this thread or a link on Mutable's Beads page. :eyes:
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:36 pm

no official update yet, but a release candidate ...

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... date/18572

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:36 pm

scottmoon wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:19 pm
I haven't looked at this thread since Beads came out. It sounds like there is a new firmware update but I can't find a link in this thread or a link on Mutable's Beads page. :eyes:
Here’s a link to the Mutable Instruments forum post about the firmware update:

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... date/18572

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks Rigo and AMillionMonkeys for the info.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 am

digidandy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm
Is it possible that the firmware got updated without the module being restarted?

Because I have just tried these two new visual behaviours from the firmware, and they are working as described here:

* The audio quality LED temporarily changes color when the input gain is being manually adjusted.
* Assign + FREEZE now enables or disables the auto-saving of the buffer. The current setting is indicated for a short amount of time by the brightness of the FREEZE button (bright = on, dark = off).

That is, as long as “LED temporarily changes color” means going from a muted green to red when the feedback knob is going from CCW to CW?

Can anyone with the new firmware confirm the last visual cue, for instance?
I can confirm the first behavior (audio quality light changing color)

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:53 am

Feature idea: what if the attenurandomizer for pitch gave only random 5ths and octaves in one direction (retaining unquantized random on the other side of the knob)

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:07 am

donrock wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:14 am
I can confirm the first behavior (audio quality light changing color)
Thanks - excellent! And a bit weird, seeing as I haven't seen the module restart after my 25 or so attempts to update the module ...

I will do some more testing, and see if some of the "problem" areas from the original firmware shows up.

Samaepstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Samaepstein » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:08 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:53 am
Feature idea: what if the attenurandomizer for pitch gave only random 5ths and octaves in one direction (retaining unquantized random on the other side of the knob)
Cool idea!

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:33 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Do you mean alt firmware?

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:47 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
+1

pelang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pelang » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am

It would be nice to see a light indication when moving the pitch knob by hand when hitting an interval notch:
"PITCH controls the transposition, from -24 to +24 semi-tones, with virtual notches at selected intervals."

and by holding the quality(?) button turning the pitch knob will only be affected when releasing the button. This would allow using the pitch and the intervales without an external keyboard or quantizer.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 am

1n wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:33 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Do you mean alt firmware?
Preferably an official firmware update, if it's technically possible. I think it would be great to have a harmonic option, right now both options produce a lot of dissonance (and they're similar enough that losing one wouldn't be a big deal). I don't actually own the module btw, just contemplating it.

ashbashbeard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ashbashbeard » Tue May 04, 2021 6:32 am

Does anyone know when Beads will be back in stock in the UK? Rubadub says sometime in May, but other places say June, so not entirely sure.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 am

From Elevator sounds mail out this morning

- Mutable Beads, for those on the backorder list you will have heard the news. For the rest of you, heres the lowdown. The April/May batch has been pushed back due to ongoing global chip shortages affecting nearly every corner of electronics manufacture. All backorders for Beads remain and we'll be opening up the site for new orders as soon as we have numbers confirmed but for now it's a bit of waiting game. But you know what they say about those who wait... (You get good things!)

Gutting, was expecting mine around now.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu May 06, 2021 7:15 am

it was new a couple weeks ago...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”