Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 am

could you offer an option to use the original reverb mode?
Practically, the change only affects what happens to the tail when the knob is turned from the first 25% of its course back to 0.

Nothing has changed in the reverb algorithm, nothing has changed in the behavior of the module when the knob is not touched, nothing has changed for any position above 25%.

Certainly not worth a button combo and more feature creep!

xidnpnlss
Common Wiggler

Post by xidnpnlss » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:13 am

pichenettes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 am
could you offer an option to use the original reverb mode?
Certainly not worth a button combo and more feature creep!
Ok.

But what if for someone that 25% is worth coding their own version of the firmware with the original send amount? Would you be willing to release the code of the original when you release the code to the public?
Last edited by xidnpnlss on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS (EU): Empress Zoia, Pedaltrain powertrain 1250, Yamaha SPX-900 WTB: Klavis Mixwitch

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:35 am

There are 2 lines to uncomment in the code to bring back the old behavior of this small portion of the knob.

Again, we are not talking about "the original reverb", but "the original response curve for the wet and send amounts".

xidnpnlss
Common Wiggler

Post by xidnpnlss » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:44 am

pichenettes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:35 am
There are 2 lines to uncomment in the code to bring back the old behavior of this small portion of the knob.

Again, we are not talking about "the original reverb", but "the original response curve for the wet and send amounts".
Yes, sorry. I will speak more accurately in the future.

Edit: edited all posts to reflect send amount

Ok. I will wait for the code.

Again, thank you ever so much for all your hard work, in addition to the absolutely excellent features you added.
Last edited by xidnpnlss on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS (EU): Empress Zoia, Pedaltrain powertrain 1250, Yamaha SPX-900 WTB: Klavis Mixwitch

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:49 am

@pichenettes And otherwise thank you very much for this quick update and all this wonderful work!

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:04 am

@pichnettes thank you :) I'll try the new response curve and can uncomment the code if I reaaallly feel the need to change it. Sure you hear it all the time but thanks for all your work on mutable instruments in general, not just beads. I get lots of fun using them.

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:41 am

The update went smooth once I got out of my own way. Forgot to mute the master on my mixer like an idiot, I slapped the mute like it was my snooze button. I made a patch using just the internal wavetable osc to make sure I didnn't brick it and it's pretty crazy what this module is capable of doing by itself. It still surprises me. That being said, the magic is when you isolate it and use it as a granular synth, imho.

People using the wavetable osc will appreciate the updates to that. The lower root note is nice.

I didn't really notice a difference in the reverb, but I used it passively.

So far I haven't heard any pops/clicks, joy. :razz:

Thank you very much.
pichenettes wrote:

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am

I thought it was just my ears straining at the original root note of the wavetable osc. Nice to see that changed, among the other improvements. I'll update later today.

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 am

At the time of the update the viewmetter led that should light up in yellow was green. Everything seems to be in order. What color did you have?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:11 am

Modules like Plaits, Marbles, Stages are not designed to process audio - the update signal goes through CV inputs, that don't have the best performance with audio signals. Getting the right level will make a difference!

But since Beads' audio input goes into a higher quality ADC, there is a larger range of gains for which the audio update will work well. So don't worry if the LED is only green during the update!

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:30 am

Thank you for this clarification. I went through a smartphone and turned the volume up. I am taking the opportunity to ask another question. I don't know if it's a placebo but I feel like the impact of the feedback is more noticeable than before. Is it just my imagination?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 am

No it's not a placebo! Totally forgot that I did this little tweak!

Last edited by pichenettes on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:42 am

I’m loving the new wave tables!

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 am

Thank you, it reassures me because I felt a remarkable difference. Maybe you should mention it in the news. It's a great news. The feedback was a bit too subtle in my humble opinion on the first version.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 am

Damn I wanna try this new update but got a new patch going nicely - can't risk any changes! Maybe in a week or two ...

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm

So you know how when Density is high enough, Beads gets into Karplus-strong territory? With the new update I feel like that range starts way earlier now, around 9 o'clock on the CCW side. So half the range is now into Karplus-strong mode? My favorite range of longer grains seems to have shrunk. Is it just me or this part of the update?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:09 pm

No, I haven't changed anything here! Are you talking about the delay mode? If so, remember that TIME selects a multiple of the delay time dialled on DENSITY.

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Sorry to clarify, I'm talking about Granular mode (Not Delay Mode) . I must be imagining things then! I'm getting Karplus-strong type sounds when Denisty is at 9 o'clock (in Red quality mode). Don't remember that happening. If its normal its fine just want to make sure its not a calibration thing. Thank you so much for the update btw!

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm

No, no, certainly not a calibration thing.

Nothing has changed regarding the behavior of that half of the DENSITY knob in granular mode.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:08 pm

Really curious to hear how the filtering in the delay line sounds, and how the new delay time crossfading sounds when Beads is clocked and delay time is changed. Is it still kinda tape warbly, but without clicks? Or now also without a pitch dopplering effect?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 pm

The tape warble happens only when you the delay is internally clocked, and is an effect of the clock rate being continuously adjusted. It doesn't happen when the delay is externally clocked.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 pm
The tape warble happens only when you the delay is internally clocked, and is an effect of the clock rate being continuously adjusted. It doesn't happen when the delay is externally clocked.
:love:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 pm

can someone who has done the update confirm the behavior after a successful take? does the module restart once the file has completed playing? i've tried updating beads with 3 different devices at various volume levels, but it always remains blinking after the file completes playing. there's always a green led monitoring the sound, not gold, so not sure if it is taking the update or not. i've tried adjusting the time knob, but the led remains green, it only reduces brightness. anyway i'll keep plugging away at it, i never have good luck with audio updates for some reason.

edit, ok i figured it out. i held freeze on power up, but needed to press freeze again before playing the audio, which made the push buttons blink more rapidly.
Last edited by dooj88 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:33 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 pm
can someone who has done the update confirm the behavior after a successful take? does the module restart once the file has completed playing? i've tried updating beads with 3 different devices at various volume levels, but it always remains blinking after the file completes playing. there's always a green led monitoring the sound, not gold, so not sure if it is taking the update or not. i've tried adjusting the time knob, but the led remains green, it only reduces brightness. anyway i'll keep plugging away at it, i never have good luck with audio updates for some reason.
I've update successfully, and it restarts automatically when it's finished. If all leds are blinking during the upload you have to restart the procedure and raise the volume.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am

I acknowledge that this sounds like a crazy question, but has anyone compared their Mimeophon to Beads's delay mode on the new firmware? Now that the latter has a LP/HP filter in the feedback path and can potentially (although I haven't heard it) shift between externally clocked delay times without pitch warbling, it's pretty close on paper to what Mimeophon can do, without the really long delay times / Zones at high audio quality. (Other overlap: they're both stereo I/O and allow you to freeze the delay buffer and add some simple reverb to the output.)

I expect some defensive replies about character/mojo or UI, but if anyone's willing to compare how these two modules behave when clocked externally and when playing with their filtering settings, I think I'm not alone in being curious to hear impressions from that.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”