Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Post by dooj88 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:50 pm

beads is processing a voice from e352 here, making up backbone of main rhythm track. adding a random gate to freeze halfway through to jitter up the melody made it really shine. love this thing.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 am
Not a calibration issue. Please post a recording.
Hi Emilie,

Many thanks for your help, you provide an outstanding service to the community.

Here is a recording of the issue - Unfortunately there is some other sound coming from a rainmaker which was recorded on the same track, but I think the issue is obvious. For reference I have included the results of the same source material going into Clouds with similar modulations applied (Beads' attenurandomizers notwithstanding). The short file is the Beads recording and the long one Clouds (I abandoned the jam because of the noise and swapped to Clouds instead).

https://we.tl/t-Iroqf2cz11

Having listened to it in isolation I think it may well just be a product of the way Beads works. I think I might be one of the weirdos who like the lofi nature of Clouds but didn't really realise it. Many thanks for any thought you have.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

chilllwinston
Common Wiggler

Post by chilllwinston » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Nothing fancy, just Rings into Beads (scorched cassette mode) into Clouds. Pitch cv from Marbles into Rings and Clouds. Gates from Marbles into Beads Freeze and Clouds Freeze. WMD MSCL compression on output as well as a touch of reverb. Blissful :sun: :sun: :sun:

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:50 am

Carrousel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm
Having listened to it in isolation I think it may well just be a product of the way Beads works.
Sorry, but this doesn't really help. A short audio clip, with no other module, and in which the noise/defect can be spotted at a specific time location would be, much, much better.

xkx
Common Wiggler

Post by xkx » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:02 am

What does it means when the seed and freeze button are flashing alternatively on start up?

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:17 am

Hi, how do the cv inputs react when you send audio into them. I can't find the information in the manual. Thanks for your help

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 am

Sidiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:17 am
Hi, how do the cv inputs react when you send audio into them. I can't find the information in the manual. Thanks for your help
Says on the product page: "Processing rate: audio-rate for the SEED and FREEZE inputs, 4kHz for the CV inputs."

In practice, few of the parameters really make much sense to modulate at audio rate. Remember that most parameters get frozen for each individual grain. Maybe the wet/dry mix or reverb for a dirty sort of AM. Or in delay mode, you can modulate the delay time by very small amounts for phase modulation.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 am

Sorry if I’ve missed it earlier in the thread. Has there been a firmware update released for the clicking in the left output and the clicking when CVing Freeze?

xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am

digable-me wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 am
Sorry if I’ve missed it earlier in the thread. Has there been a firmware update released for the clicking in the left output and the clicking when CVing Freeze?
I don’t think it’s out yet, no.

tdallas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 am

xkx wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:02 am
What does it means when the seed and freeze button are flashing alternatively on start up?
Might that be the firmware update mode? -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=244774&start=1025#p3484131

tdallas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 am

digable-me wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 am
It seems that there is a lot of work going on in the firmware:

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... date/18376

You might check the MI forum for more details and I guess that the update will be announced there first :hihi:

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

starthief wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 am
Sidiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:17 am
Says on the product page: "Processing rate: audio-rate for the SEED and FREEZE inputs, 4kHz for the CV inputs."

In practice, few of the parameters really make much sense to modulate at audio rate. Remember that most parameters get frozen for each individual grain. Maybe the wet/dry mix or reverb for a dirty sort of AM. Or in delay mode, you can modulate the delay time by very small amounts for phase modulation.
Thank you for these clarifications!

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm

Not sure if we're all done sharing but here's a slow, sleepy drone thing with Beads in wavetable mode done over 2 nights. I thought I was done but 2nd night, I started unpatching & hit upon another cool sound before I got too far ... wound up editing the 2 together.

TBH, Lubadh is doing much of the heavy lifting here but all notes were played &/or sampled from Beads (sequenced by Pyramid). I sent it through the Microvolt's filter & had to use plug-ins for reverb since Beads was all tied up in wavetables. I don't know how often I'll use the wavetables since I only have 62hp & no filter module ... probably won't "waste" the Microvolt too often as just a filter.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm
Not sure if we're all done sharing but here's a slow, sleepy drone thing with Beads in wavetable mode done over 2 nights. I thought I was done but 2nd night, I started unpatching & hit upon another cool sound before I got too far ... wound up editing the 2 together.

TBH, Lubadh is doing much of the heavy lifting here but all notes were played &/or sampled from Beads (sequenced by Pyramid). I sent it through the Microvolt's filter & had to use plug-ins for reverb since Beads was all tied up in wavetables. I don't know how often I'll use the wavetables since I only have 62hp & no filter module ... probably won't "waste" the Microvolt too often as just a filter.

<snip>
Nice tune :)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:51 pm
loiving the beads data bender combo (and fx aid!)
Here’s a longer recording of this

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:35 pm

Got another one (last one) for the wigglers. No ambient in sight here. Microvolt's random arp is being quantized by Pam & sent to both the Microvolt to generate the main riff & Beads which is adding all sorts of zaniness to it -- no overdubs on that part except I cut/paste the melodic refrain in the DAW to make this track & used the Modal Cobalt 8x to add bass & some supplementary synth lines.

The 2nd half is the same Microvolt/Beads thing riffing behind a Beads "drum solo" - beat slicer mode, full wet & full wiggle on pitch + Erica Zen's time.

Sidiblue
Common Wiggler

Post by Sidiblue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Great news and many positive improvements for overall smoothness. However I'm a bit confused about the new behaviour of Beads in Beat Slicer mode. From the changelog: "When the module plays slices (delay mode + FREEZE enabled), it waits for the completion of the currently playing slice before sampling the TIME parameter and deciding which slice to play next. Again, this prevents clicks when TIME is modulated."

Unsure if the situation I'm seeing is really related to the note above since it's not really about TIME but it seems like the module also waits for the end of a slice's envelope to trigger the next one, or at least behaves rather unexpectedly. Right now I'm sending it a trigger pattern X-X-XXXX and it seems to play it as "XXX-X-XX" (moved by two steps basically). Then if I introduce faster ratchets they get ignored altogether. If I play a XX------ pattern, it just plays XXXXXXX- (which can be easily observed with the visual cues from Steppy, which sends the triggers, but the issue also repros with Marbles as a source of triggers). It could be related to letting slices finish their envelope before playing new ones, but unless I am misunderstanding something, it prevents triggering the module with the actual patterns you send it. If anyone was able to experiment with beat slicer on their side let me know if you found a way to just have it play slices as you send it triggers, it's very possible I'm just using it incorrectly. My module is set as follows:

- Seed externally triggered
- Density at 12 o'clock
- Size full CW
- Freeze engaged
Last edited by tvparcable on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 pm

I assume this is a result of letting slices finish their envelope before playing new one
No, the behavior you describe is unrelated to this change.

In the old, as well as in the new, version of the firmware, when the module is in delay mode (SIZE fully CW), the SEED input is not a trigger input that will trigger the playing of a slice. It is a clock (or tap tempo) input that defines the duration of a slice. You are not expected to send a pattern in this input. If, for example, the signal on the seed input goes from X-X-X-X- to XXXXXXXXX (at 120 BPM), the module will crossfade gently from looping the 5th 1s slice to the 10th 0.5s slice. Maybe calling this a tempo-synced, looping grain would help?

If you want to trigger segments of the buffer with an arbitrary pattern, just use the normal granular mode!
Last edited by pichenettes on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:04 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 pm
I assume this is a result of letting slices finish their envelope before playing new one
No, the behavior you describe is unrelated to this change.

In the old, as well as in the new, version of the firmware, when the module is in delay mode (SIZE fully CW), the SEED input is not a trigger input that will trigger the playing of a slice. It is a clock (or tap tempo) input that defines the duration of a slice. You are not expected to send a pattern there.

If you want to rhythmically trigger segments of the buffer, just use the normal granular mode!
Ah ok ok I see. I mostly used to operate beat slicer by sending random-ish ratchet patterns to the SEED input, which had let me to believe it played as the triggers got in (aka, mono grain trigger mode), since I never quite paid attention to the visual feedback at the same time. So basically the seed input is used to determine the clock, and I'm just redefining it constantly with my non-repetitive patterns. Thanks for the quick help as always!

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Since you mention mono grains: I'll post in the next day an "unofficial" firmware which includes a few more things (that I do not want to support officially and put in the manual, just cool ideas/suggestions that I tried). Among them is an option to make the regular granular mode monophonic – ie each new grain cuts the previously playing one. Might be suitable for what you want to do!

xidnpnlss
Common Wiggler

Post by xidnpnlss » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:31 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:09 pm
an "unofficial" firmware
Thank you so very much for squashing the bugs (modulating Time in Delay) and adding goodies (the filter in the delay line opens it even wider for sound exploration).

I have a teensy request: could you offer an option to use the original reverb send response? I liked that response a good amount more than the current one. I know this new response is how reverb is meant to work, but the original response was much more dynamic and exciting in my opinion.

Thank you again for such a wonderful module and fantastic support.
Last edited by xidnpnlss on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS (EU): Empress Zoia, Pedaltrain powertrain 1250, Yamaha SPX-900 WTB: Klavis Mixwitch

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm

xidnpnlss wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:31 pm
pichenettes wrote:
an "unofficial" firmware
Thank you so very much for squashing the bugs (modulating Time in Delay) and adding goodies (the filter in the delay line opens it even wider for sound exploration).

I have a teensy request: could you offer an option to use the original reverb mode? I liked that mode a good amount more than the current mode. I know this new mode is how reverb is meant to work, but the original mode was much more dynamic and exciting in my opinion.

Did mutable release a new firmware to squash bugs but changed the reverb algo at the same time?! If that's the case please can a implore them to make a firmware available with the v1 beads reverb that came on the first run factory firmware - I absolutely love it, a lot!

xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:39 pm

oofwello wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm
xidnpnlss wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:31 pm
pichenettes wrote:
an "unofficial" firmware

I have a teensy request: could you offer an option to use the original reverb mode? I liked that mode a good amount more than the current mode. I know this new mode is how reverb is meant to work, but the original mode was much more dynamic and exciting in my opinion.

Did mutable release a new firmware to squash bugs but changed the reverb algo at the same time?! If that's the case please can a implore them to make a firmware available with the v1 beads reverb that came on the first run factory firmware - I absolutely love it, a lot!
Doesn’t look like the algorithm was changed, but the response of the reverb mix knob was adjusted.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”