Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Post by pichenettes » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 am

The fact that the input peak LED on Beads flashes exactly with that sound (at 0:14) makes me think it's some sort of feedback building up in your room.

xkx
Common Wiggler

Post by xkx » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 am

Muff McMuff wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:44 pm
xkx wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm

I am turning Beads on, no audio going through, and automatically there is this drone. The piano is the only audio I want to go through, but it somehow is registering other audio coming through, (as the input light is flashing right at the beginning, before I even play the piano). You can see at the end, when I go from 100% wet back to dry, that the input is not registering any audio any more, (unless I play the piano). Sometimes, it's the otherway around, the droney noise only happens 5 minutes after starting up Beads. I can't quite figure out what is going on. Hope that makes sense. (The feedback is all the way down).
Does your beads operate normally when you patch in some sounds from the other modules in your rack? Or does it have the same issue you are having with the external sounds?

Beads can amplify external signals and auto adjust for it automatically but could your input level be really low, like to low?
From the manual below. Could you have manually set input gain and the module is now in that custom setting until you "long press A.." to set it back into auto detection?

From the manual........"When patch cables are inserted or removed, Beads monitors for five seconds the level of the incoming signal and adjusts the input gain accordingly, from +0dB to +32dB. The input level LED (2) blinks during this adjustment process. The input gain is chosen to leave some headroom, but in case of big level changes, a limiter kicks in.
One can manually restart the gain adjustment process by pressing and holding the audio quality selector button [A] for one second. Holding this button [A] while turning the feedback knob allows manual gain adjustments.
The manually-set gain is memorized and applied until a long press on [A] re-enables automatic gain control.
You're totally right. Amazing what reading the manual does! Figured it out last night! For the first five seconds I have no audio coming in, so it's automatically adjusting for quiet noise.

xkx
Common Wiggler

Post by xkx » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks, totally figured out the problem I was having. You guys are right, it was because of the auto gain. Beads was sampling the first 5 seconds which is essentially silence, and applying gain to that, which is what caused the loud drone. Solved!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:13 am

I find myself setting gain manually every time. Not a big fan of the auto gaining. It always to sets it too high and I get some clipping/limiting when using it.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:41 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:13 am
I find myself setting gain manually every time. Not a big fan of the auto gaining.
i´m in the same boat !
often is the loudest signal coming later, not within the first seconds..........

also not a big fan of the manual gain setup.
i don´t know why, but its not allways working on my Beads.
....as well is my initilal problems with feedback were related to the fact that sometimes the feedback knob would not work.
i don´t know what it is.
i´ve had allready two modules with that type of buttons, that such button could sometimes not work ( a clouds and a Nebuale2 / ussually things get better or even good after some time )
In such situations where such button has to do more than one job can such mini problem cause quite some confusion..........
Thats why i tend to avoid to use the manual Gain setup.

Kosmikos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kosmikos » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Maybe the only one thing I’m having issue with is the feedback, but in my case I can’t hear anything it’s doing.
I understand that you need an input, turn the knob CW, but then what am I supposed to hear?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Feedback is really dependent on the other controls. Sometimes it's really subtle or doesn't have a lot of material to work with. To make it more obvious try changing the pitch, not using the minimum time, and/or trying different shapes and lengths.

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm

I get an issue where the sound seems to have distorted crackles when density is fully clockwise or anticlockwise but is ok anywhere in between. It is even ok if you back off the density just a tiny bit from either extreme. This happens even if mix is in any position so seems global and not just for the wet signal (wet being what density works with). This is nromal?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:45 am

This is nromal?
Known bug, a firmware update will be posted.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:58 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:13 am
I find myself setting gain manually every time. Not a big fan of the auto gaining. It always to sets it too high and I get some clipping/limiting when using it.
every time you power on? or every time you have a new input signal level?
im also weary of auto-gain, as a sound engineer i just want manual input gain knobs on everything

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:34 pm

every time you power on?
Once you disable auto-gain, it becomes a permanent setting (including: when the module is powered off then on, or when a new source is patched). It is reactivated only by a long press on the button.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Stages ~ Beads

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Edit

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:42 pm

pichenettes wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:34 pm
every time you power on?
Once you disable auto-gain, it becomes a permanent setting (including: when the module is powered off then on, or when a new source is patched). It is reactivated only by a long press on the button.
great thanks for clarifying, i was thinking/hoping this was the case

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 pm

I've been challenging myself to create tracks using Beads (& Lubadh) to force myself to learn these modules vs. just throwing them on whatever production I'm working on at the moment. I'm glad I took the time. Not sure if I've ever come across a module this deep that was as easy to use. Read the manual once, done. Utterly the opposite with Lubadh, where I'm referencing the manual on my phone even with a 3 page cheat sheet next to me (but I still love it).

Patch notes here:

Squarp Pyramid is sending a quasi-generative quantized random sequence to Microvolt & sending outputs to FX + Lubadh & Cold Mac. I prerecorded a snippet of that in Lubadh deck 2. Deck 1 is in "Disintegration Loops" mode & being randomly triggered by Pam's to overdub layers of deck 2 & the Microvolt's output to create the base drone layer & that stew goes out to pedal FX. Periodically Pam's will send an erase trigger to deck 1. Cold Mac is randomly panning the Microvolt & my saxophone & feeding the combined signal to Beads. Pam's modulating Beads density & random-triggering freeze & the attenurandomizers do the rest.

I'm grateful @bitcat brought up the discussion of the dry/wet reverb send earlier. I probably wouldn't have thought to do it otherwise but the Beads' verb in full "Eventide" mode would have been too much with my sax. This track doesn't really even work when I muted Beads in post. Love this module.

I'd be remiss if I didn't at least briefly touch on the subject matter. Here in the States, minorities have some issues with the way the system is set up & to a lesser extent, sometimes with other minorities & even with each other. But I don't believe we solve disunity with division.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 pm
I've been challenging myself to create tracks using Beads (& Lubadh) to force myself to learn these modules vs. just throwing them on whatever production I'm working on at the moment. I'm glad I took the time. Not sure if I've ever come across a module this deep that was as easy to use. Read the manual once, done. Utterly the opposite with Lubadh, where I'm referencing the manual on my phone even with a 3 page cheat sheet next to me (but I still love it).

Patch notes here:

Squarp Pyramid is sending a quasi-generative quantized random sequence to Microvolt & sending outputs to FX + Lubadh & Cold Mac. I prerecorded a snippet of that in Lubadh deck 2. Deck 1 is in "Disintegration Loops" mode & being randomly triggered by Pam's to overdub layers of deck 2 & the Microvolt's output to create the base drone layer & that stew goes out to pedal FX. Periodically Pam's will send an erase trigger to deck 1. Cold Mac is randomly panning the Microvolt & my saxophone & feeding the combined signal to Beads. Pam's modulating Beads density & random-triggering freeze & the attenurandomizers do the rest.

I'm grateful @bitcat brought up the discussion of the dry/wet reverb send earlier. I probably wouldn't have thought to do it otherwise but the Beads' verb in full "Eventide" mode would have been too much with my sax. This track doesn't really even work when I muted Beads in post. Love this module.

I'd be remiss if I didn't at least briefly touch on the subject matter. Here in the States, minorities have some issues with the way the system is set up & to a lesser extent, sometimes with other minorities & even with each other. But I don't believe we solve disunity with division.

Thank you so much for this. Its fantastic.

exmd
Common Wiggler

Post by exmd » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 am

I’m also been experimenting with Beads and Lubadh, both modules that just add some magic to the mix. Here is a livestream I did tonight of me playing my Montage into the Lubadh and then running that through Magneto and Beads. These are probably my two favorite modules currently. I enjoyed your sax playing!!!

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:17 am

exmd wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 am
I’m also been experimenting with Beads and Lubadh, both modules that just add some magic to the mix. Here is a livestream I did tonight of me playing my Montage into the Lubadh and then running that through Magneto and Beads. These are probably my two favorite modules currently. I enjoyed your sax playing!!!

Thanks folks, really appreciate it. Wasn't sure how the sax would be received & I'm reticent to post sometimes with my teeny 62hp setup + I don't do much wiggling (that's the CV's job, right?!? haha). You know, modular envy!

Enjoyed your live stream. Really like those dynamic string stabs/sweeps (for lack of a better term) that come in occasionally after drifting a while. How's that Montage? Have always wanted one but figured I'd probably end up using it like a preset box due to complexity.

exmd
Common Wiggler

Post by exmd » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:17 am
How's that Montage? Have always wanted one but figured I'd probably end up using it like a preset box due to complexity.
The Montage is awesome. I have barely scratched the surface because I've been so focused on modular, but it is extremely deep and is a legit full FM synthesizer. There is definitely a tendency to use it as a preset box but I have it wired into my MIDI hub so I use it as my main midi controller for playing my other synths. If I only had one synth, that would be the one.

AThousandDetails
Common Wiggler

Post by AThousandDetails » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:08 am

Beads craziness over here! Insane videos guys!
Dogs are cool. Dogs rule over cats :D

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:02 am

mkdvb wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Patch notes here:

This is really great - thanks for posting. Your comment about your wife sleeping gave me a chuckle ... Many years ago I was playing a new resonator banjo in our apartment, I woke up my wife, and she came out and said, groggily, "can you make that lower"? I've barely played it since :(

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 am

Hey all, apologies if this has already been covered - it’s a very long thread! My Beads seems to make constant pops, crackles and digital noise in every mode no matter how I’m using it (as long as external audio is coming in). Initially I thought it was auto gain issues but it even happens when manual gain is set to minimum. The problem seems to be worse if there is very low frequency content coming in - I wondered if it was accumulation of non-zero crossing sample crops but it seems like there is added digital noise on top of the clicks. I’ve had the issue several times and whenever I swap the source material and the modulation signals I’m using over to Clouds i get a much cleaner result and the noise and pops aren’t there at all. Is it just the way I’m using Beads or are there some known bugs? Is there any chance a recalibration would make any difference? Many thanks for any help.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 am

Not a calibration issue. Please post a recording.

mkdvb
Common Wiggler

Post by mkdvb » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 pm

buyingitwontmakeucool wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:02 am

This is really great - thanks for posting. Your comment about your wife sleeping gave me a chuckle ... Many years ago I was playing a new resonator banjo in our apartment, I woke up my wife, and she came out and said, groggily, "can you make that lower"? I've barely played it since :(
Ha! Reminds me of the time I recorded a noise track late night with guttural whisper sounds. My studio was next to the bedroom & we had concrete walls but I left the window open since I figured I was on headphones & whispering. 10 min later, she barged in & shot me the dirtiest look in our entire marriage, swear! Said it sounded like some rabid, demonic animal just outside our window & completely freaked her out.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:29 pm

Amazing :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”