MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Re: MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:24 pm

seiesdrum wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:11 pm
order another one, 4 weeks waiting list :(
4 weeks is nothing, considering the circumstances... just sayin'

ritec
Common Wiggler

Post by ritec » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:57 pm

seiesdrum wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:20 am
Ok cool, i Want the Square Case from MDLR ! For me is the Best Hybrid Solution...
I have this exact case, but the double one, so 18U 104HP. Love the case, plenty of power and a TON of power jacks. As they said, it’s kinda heavy to move around when filled. All in all MDLR makes great cases, you will not be disappointed, and the newer model I believe are a bit lighter.

I will admit I have considered selling it to get a Needham case, mostly because the ergonomics of the double case in my space are a bit odd, but yeah, can’t complain, it’s me not her.

Sysagent
Common Wiggler

Post by Sysagent » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:16 am

I am definitely looking to purchase the 12u 126 HP square case, just got to see what this month's pay day looks like lol...

Just wish there was a 18u 104 HP square case like the 12u / 126 HP one below, as it would fit my desk space better:

"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

comrade_acid
1-Post Wiggler

Post by comrade_acid » Sun May 23, 2021 4:04 am

Sysagent wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:16 am
I am definitely looking to purchase the 12u 126 HP square case, just got to see what this month's pay day looks like lol...

Just wish there was a 18u 104 HP square case like the 12u / 126 HP one below, as it would fit my desk space better:

You should ask Arjan at MDLR, he might be able to do it for you. He does take custom orders.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:12 pm

I ordered my case just over a week ago which was listed as 'in stock' on mdlrcase.com, but haven't heard anything yet.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:50 pm

They are making cases to order. Took a little less than a month to get my 14Ux126HP case, from when I ordered in May. Send Arjan an e-mail. I found him to be very responsive when he was he was putting my case together.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:03 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:12 pm
I ordered my case just over a week ago which was listed as 'in stock' on mdlrcase.com, but haven't heard anything yet.
I also ordered a case listed as in stock at the end of May. Arjan informed me a few days later that he doesn't stock any cases because of covid and that he will build and send my case within 10-15 working days. It's been about twenty working days since and status of my order is still "processing". Couple days ago I asked if some further delays have come up, but haven't heard back from him. I'm getting a bit worried.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Mr.Kus wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:03 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
I also ordered a case listed as in stock at the end of May. Arjan informed me a few days later that he doesn't stock any cases because of covid and that he will build and send my case within 10-15 working days. It's been about twenty working days since and status of my order is still "processing". Couple days ago I asked if some further delays have come up, but haven't heard back from him. I'm getting a bit worried.
Mine was shipped today. About a week after the order. It might be that mine is a much more simple build, maybe they have some shells pre-built or something.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:42 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:13 pm
Mr.Kus wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:03 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
Mine was shipped today. About a week after the order. It might be that mine is a much more simple build, maybe they have some shells pre-built or something.
I ordered 12U studio case which I think is one of his simplest designs.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:13 am

justin3am wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:50 pm
They are making cases to order. Took a little less than a month to get my 14Ux126HP case, from when I ordered in May. Send Arjan an e-mail. I found him to be very responsive when he was he was putting my case together.
I've been having problems with my case when using digital modules and I can't get a response from him for love nor money.

Very disappointed given I paid well over a thousand euros for the case. Probably won't go back to him again unless something changes drastically.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 am

James_S wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:13 am
justin3am wrote:
I've been having problems with my case when using digital modules and I can't get a response from him for love nor money.

Very disappointed given I paid well over a thousand euros for the case. Probably won't go back to him again unless something changes drastically.
Wondering if you’re near the power limit? For my 12u 126 case I know that the MDLR power of 4A will not be enough so I’m going to power one row with a 4ms row power.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 am
James_S wrote:
justin3am wrote:

Wondering if you’re near the power limit? For my 12u 126 case I know that the MDLR power of 4A will not be enough so I’m going to power one row with a 4ms row power.
I don't think so as it's 12u 104 and the half of the case in which it's happening is only half full. It's IME modules which I know sometimes are buggy so I'm hoping it's that but after initially receiving a reply from Arjan saying he's happy to help me I send him some videos over a month ago with a couple of reminders between then and now and he's said nothing.

Like I said, I'm a bit disappointed as when I first ordered the case I was writing to him asking about a personalisation but he never answered and just send me the case as it is on the website (it took a month to manufacture so there was no real excuse for not replying). I've found communication to be difficult with him from the start, but I read other people saying the opposite so I don't know what to think.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:13 pm

James_S wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
James_S wrote:
justin3am wrote:

I don't think so as it's 12u 104 and the half of the case in which it's happening is only half full. It's IME modules which I know sometimes are buggy so I'm hoping it's that but after initially receiving a reply from Arjan saying he's happy to help me I send him some videos over a month ago with a couple of reminders between then and now and he's said nothing.

Like I said, I'm a bit disappointed as when I first ordered the case I was writing to him asking about a personalisation but he never answered and just send me the case as it is on the website (it took a month to manufacture so there was no real excuse for not replying). I've found communication to be difficult with him from the start, but I read other people saying the opposite so I don't know what to think.
Oh no, I have loads of IME modules! Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad experience. Perhaps he is getting bogged down, he only responded to me late at night. Fingers crossed you get it sorted out though.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:48 am

pmarchitect wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:13 pm
James_S wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
James_S wrote:
justin3am wrote:

Oh no, I have loads of IME modules! Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad experience. Perhaps he is getting bogged down, he only responded to me late at night. Fingers crossed you get it sorted out though.
Cheers mate.

The issue I've had is weird as what happens is if I plug the Kermit MK3 into a particular slot on the busboard and go to the presets with the preset Attenuaverter anything above 100% CCW (in other words, 0) then the presets would flicker between each other as if there were modulation going in. However, if I plugged it into a different slot it wouldn't happen. Likewise if I plugged the Hertz Donut MK3 into a certain slot then there would be movement in some presets when in morph mode (again whenever the preset Attenuaverter above 0) there would be movement in parameters (such as umbridge or phase distortion amount etc) as of there were modulation but then in other slots in the bus board it wouldn't happen.

Like I said, it might be something to do with the modules as IME are a big buggy (but great) and not always 100% stable. Either way, the lack of guidance I've received from Arjan has been very disappointing as whenever I message Scott at IME he's super helpful. Either way, the issues I've had can all be worked around, and I know weird things can happen in Eurorack as it's not all exact science.

Enjoy your case anyway!

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:35 am

My order status is still "Processing" and I haven't got any answers to my emails. I think I'll wait a few more working days and then I have to open a paypal dispute. :despair:

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:37 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:35 am
My order status is still "Processing" and I haven't got any answers to my emails. I think I'll wait a few more working days and then I have to open a paypal dispute. :despair:
This is very similar to my experience when I ordered my case. However, after a month I got an email with the tracking number. I ordered my in the Black Friday sales and Arjan sent an email out to all the people who had ordered explaining it would take longer than usual to process orders as he received a lot more than normal during the sale.

From here onwards communication was impossible and he never responded to me when I was asking for a small personalisation to the order (which was to put the power supply input at difference sides of the case so I could place them side by side as 12 X 6U cases if I wanted). No reply ever.

Likewise, he never replies now when I'm asking him for his opinion on what is going on with the digital modules in my case (I just received one reply to a WhatsApp message saying "sure" when I asked him if he'd help me, and from this moment on he's ignored the videos I've send him demonstrating the problem and the messages I've sent asking him if he's had chance to watch them. This has been going on for a month now as my initial message to him was 3rd June).

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:38 am

No case, no shipping notification, no answer to any of my contact attempts. I opened a paypal dispute. Not sure how long should I wait answers to that before escalating the dispute.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:08 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:38 am
No case, no shipping notification, no answer to any of my contact attempts. I opened a paypal dispute. Not sure how long should I wait answers to that before escalating the dispute.
The order status changed to "On Hold" right after I opened the dispute, still no response though.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what's going on with that guy? Given what's going on in the world right now I don't wanna be too strong as you never know what people are going through, but I'll definitely steer away from buying from him in the future.

It's a shame cos the cases are amongst those with the best specs out there.

closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am

The stories here are errily similar to my experience with Elite Modular, and to others here:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 6&t=127254

I can imagine that as a small-scale case manufacturer, you're at the end of the supply chain for power supplies, lumber, etc - which leave you at the mercy of every local and global hiccup. I'm not making excuses for him, just imagining what kind of challenges a case maker is facing right now.

It's too bad - the MDLR designs look like the best out there at the moment. I haven't seen them in person, but Blackhole cases seem a good alternative, though they don't have a 12u option that I know of.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 am

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am
The stories here are errily similar to my experience with Elite Modular, and to others here:

I can imagine that as a small-scale case manufacturer, you're at the end of the supply chain for power supplies, lumber, etc - which leave you at the mercy of every local and global hiccup. I'm not making excuses for him, just imagining what kind of challenges a case maker is facing right now.

It's too bad - the MDLR designs look like the best out there at the moment. I haven't seen them in person, but Blackhole cases seem a good alternative, though they don't have a 12u option that I know of.
Yeah I understand the supply chain difficulties, but the case I ordered was listed as in stock when I made the order, and at least a week later. Of course something unexpected might have come up after that, but he did not inform me about any further delays, even when I asked multiple times. Lack of communication could be explained by health problems or something like that, but he have been working during this time as he was able to send pmarchitect's case which was ordered much later than mine.

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 am

closedLoop wrote:

(...)

Aren't Elite the company that made the wood cases that Make Noise used to ship their Shared System in, before switching to the 7u metal case they have now? I have one of those and a 14U MDLR and I sure as hell prefer the MDLR.

Elite do make a point of claiming that their cases are lighter — and mine certainly is much lighter than either 7U section of my 14U MDLR. However this is also an enormous compromise — the fittings aren't great, the plywood is thinner and it doesn't have those metal corner protectors that MDLR use.

Doepfer's suitcases are great too. I don't find myself missing the 1U rows
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:12 am

jsleeio wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 am

Aren't Elite the company that made the wood cases that Make Noise used to ship their Shared System in, before switching to the 7u metal case they have now? I have one of those and a 14U MDLR and I sure as hell prefer the MDLR.
MDLR cases definitely appear to be superior.

I haven't owned an MDLR, but I've had hands on one. The "middle" section of the MDLR 12U, and the additional hardware, definitely makes it a hefty case. I have travelled quite a bit with my Elite, and it has fared very well. However, I would not suggest anyone order from Elite, based on my experience. Control and PC seem to have occasional stock of Elite cases, which seems a much safer option.

Naive Teen Idol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:19 am

jsleeio wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 am
closedLoop wrote:

(...)

Aren't Elite the company that made the wood cases that Make Noise used to ship their Shared System in, before switching to the 7u metal case they have now?
The old yellow textured case for the Shared System was by Monorocket, who I believe are no longer in the Eurorack case game. I like mine.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:20 am

I escalated my dispute. PayPal will wait answers from mdlr until 18th of July. :despair:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”