MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

RolandoBlanca
Common Wiggler

Re: MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Post by RolandoBlanca » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am

mosorensen wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am
I have a MDLR 12u x 104hp with the Doepfer PSU3. It is fantastic, and I never had a problem with it.

That said, not to derail, and I realize power and grounding are deeply personal religious issues around here. Speaking for myself, I pray to the god of wall power straight into the case (no wall warts) to establish ground from the wall to the case. Most case manufacturers, including MDLR, now only produce cases with wall warts (I believe due to regulatory approval and legality issues). This opinion may be sacrilegious, and I may inadvertently have invoked the wrath of Hinton.

However, bottom line, for my new case I got a Doepfer monster case for exactly this reason.
It might be a bit off-topic, but could you elaborate a bit on grounding - my entire eurorack system and it's numerous noodly appendages are one big groundloop waiting to happen. Indeed, from time to time, it gets tired of waiting and just makes some noise. With cases with separate PSUs such that mains ground is not being brought into the system, can I assume that the -ve side of the DC supply somehow ends up (via the PSU rails) on the module chassis and hence metal of the case as the floating ground? I have just about enough knowledge to be dangerous, so at some point I might try grounding the cases to tie that back to actual earth to see if it improves the noise. It's not been bad enough (or often enough) to be a big deal yet, and I haven't really noticed a pattern, possibly it's not even coming from the modular, but it does look the most likely culprit due to the various cases patched together all without a common ground (unless the DC supplies are tieing their -ve sides to mains ground).

mosorensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mosorensen » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am

RolandoBlanca wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am
It might be a bit off-topic, but could you elaborate a bit on grounding - my entire eurorack system and it's numerous noodly appendages are one big groundloop waiting to happen. Indeed, from time to time, it gets tired of waiting and just makes some noise. With cases with separate PSUs such that mains ground is not being brought into the system, can I assume that the -ve side of the DC supply somehow ends up (via the PSU rails) on the module chassis and hence metal of the case as the floating ground? I have just about enough knowledge to be dangerous, so at some point I might try grounding the cases to tie that back to actual earth to see if it improves the noise. It's not been bad enough (or often enough) to be a big deal yet, and I haven't really noticed a pattern, possibly it's not even coming from the modular, but it does look the most likely culprit due to the various cases patched together all without a common ground (unless the DC supplies are tieing their -ve sides to mains ground).
This is a sensitive topic. There are numerous threads with people much smarter than me debating power and grounding, and I am sure you have read all of that. I am also not an expert (know just enough to be dangerous), and many people will disagree with me. That said, this is what I do:

My initial experience with ground problems was in my first case that used Meanwell power bricks with floating ground. This means that the neutral line from the external power plug does not become the ground in the case, and the Meanwell brick constructs its own floating ground. This case worked fine by itself, but when I plugged my electric bass into it, it was so noisy it was unusable. I believe that the floating ground in the Meanwell bricks was too "weak" (high impedance, I guess), and it turned the bass into an antenna (if you've played electric guitar or bass, you know what I mean).

Based on this experience, I decided that I need a solid ground (low impedance) that would extend between my modular cases and to external gear.

Now I start from a Tripp Lite ISOBAR power strip plugged into the wall outlet. All my cases and gear go into this power strip, so they share the neutral line there and use it as a zero volt reference (ground) when possible. I have two modular cases (MDLR and a large Doepfer Monster) Both of them have Dopefer PSU3 supplies where the neutral line from the power cord becomes the zero volt reference for the case (it also attaches to the chassis). This way, when I also plug my other gear into the power strip, this gear shares the ground with my modular cases. This set-up has been rock solid. I have had no issues with noise or ground loops, even when using my bass and other external gear.

This also works when I connect external gear with external power bricks with floating grounds. I think this is because the grounding in the main system is sufficiently "solid" (low impedance) that a few pieces of external gear can share this ground through the patch cords without introducing too much noise.

Anyways, back on topic, my MDLR case with a Doepfer PSU3 works like a charm.
Last edited by mosorensen on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Journey is the Destination

RolandoBlanca
Common Wiggler

Post by RolandoBlanca » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 am

mosorensen wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am
This also works when I connect external gear with external power bricks with floating grounds. I think this is because the grounding in the main system is sufficiently "solid" (low impedance) that a few pieces of external gear can share this ground through the patch cords without introducing too much noise.
Thanks for the reply, and like I said it's sort of off-topic so we'll leave it at that, but I will probably try just measuring my own ground potential (ie. how much voltage I find between the case -ve lines and the mains earth) and if it's not much I'll just try tieing them to ground to see if it improves things. I intuitively agree with you that a floating ground with multiple other devices plugged in (using either their own floating grounds, or actual ground which may also be something a bit different) is asking for noise.

jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:37 am

mosorensen wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am
Anyways, back on topic, my MDLR case with a Doepfer PSU3 works like a charm.
this is what I have also (and Doepfer Monster suitcases also with a bunch of PSU3 in them)

I had terrible hum issues with my KRK active monitors until I replaced the B******** mixer (not my choice — someone gave it to me when they didn't want it anymore) with a Yamaha MG12 — the B******** didn't have balanced outs and the MG12 does. Problem solved.

Next step is to get balanced outputs in all my Euro cases to connect them to the mixer.

Not going to comment on the grounding details; this has been amply covered elsewhere by Hinton and others
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:34 am

Mr.Kus wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:20 am
I escalated my dispute. PayPal will wait answers from mdlr until 18th of July. :despair:
I just received a message from PayPal. The dispute was resolved in my favor and I'll get full refund. Today was the last day for MDLR to answer. Apparently PayPal did not get any answers either. After all I hope Arjan is OK.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Mr.Kus wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:34 am
Mr.Kus wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:20 am
I escalated my dispute. PayPal will wait answers from mdlr until 18th of July. :despair:
I just received a message from PayPal. The dispute was resolved in my favor and I'll get full refund. Today was the last day for MDLR to answer. Apparently PayPal did not get any answers either. After all I hope Arjan is OK.
Hmmmmm, yes it's very strange. Like you say, I really hope the guy is okay. In the world we live in it could be health related or he might be struggling to keep the business afloat given the parts shortage everyone is suffering. It's a pretty niche market at the best of times.

Touch wood it's none of these things and we hear something positive from him soon.

Sleepfc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sleepfc » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:09 am

My 12U/104hp case took about a month to make, and probably a week or two to ship

But it was worth every penny.

You all should just let him work in peace, he probably has a huge cue that he works on simultaneously, so it’s no surprise why it takes a long time. Patience is key, because sure enough you’ll get the shipping confirmation email eventually and when you do it’ll feel great

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:25 am

Sleepfc wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:09 am
My 12U/104hp case took about a month to make, and probably a week or two to ship

You all should just let him work in peace, he probably has a huge cue that he works on simultaneously, so it’s no surprise why it takes a long time. Patience is key, because sure enough you’ll get the shipping confirmation email eventually and when you do it’ll feel great
"You should let him work in peace"?

Sorry, but if I give the guy over a grand for a case and then run into problems with it I expect some customer service. Given it's now seven weeks since I messaged him I think I've been patient enough. Would you buy something so expensive from someone who you know won't reply to you if something goes wrong?

Like I said, let's hope there's nothing going on with him and everything is okay. A long queue of customers is no excuse to abandon all customer service, especially to those who have already given you a lot of money.

Nothing people have said in this thread is unreasonable at all. Frankly, given the sums of money people are giving/ have given to Arjen, I'd say he's got a pretty understanding group of people here who in some cases have more than enough reason to go to town on him.

Sleepfc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sleepfc » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 am

James_S wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:25 am
Look, we all gave him thousands. You should have waited :lol:

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:03 am

Sleepfc wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:09 am

Well then he should not list the items as in stock without a mention that it will take more than a month to build and ship the item or at least give a more realistic shipping estimate with the order confirmation instead of 10-15 working days. If he had even answered to any of my inquiries explaining that unfortunately it takes longer than expected I would have been more willing to wait longer. By the way he concluded the shipping notification email with "please let me know when you have any further questions".

The length of a orders queue is a bullshit explanation for the way this was handled, especially as he did send out at least one order that was made much later than mine, but I would like to think there is a better reason behind.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:57 am

Sleepfc wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 am
James_S wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:25 am
Look, we all gave him thousands. You should have waited :lol:
What are you taking about? I have the case. Now I'm having issues and Arjen is nowhere to be seen. Not sure if you're a troll or just an arsehole, but either way you're the first of either kind I've seen around here.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:47 am

I paid VAT once when I bought the case, am now being charged VAT again through customs.

Anyone else had this issue???

I’ve ordered several other things and not had this issue, they either don’t charge VAT for UK purchases or if they do, they pay that to customs for import VAT.

Now I’m being asked to pay 40% VAT. Insane.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:24 am

pmarchitect wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:47 am
I paid VAT once when I bought the case, am now being charged VAT again through customs.

I’ve ordered several other things and not had this issue, they either don’t charge VAT for UK purchases or if they do, they pay that to customs for import VAT.

He shouldn't have charged you VAT at the checkout if you were ordering outside of the EU. 40% is stil insane whatever way you look at it, I would have expected around 20%.

I would suggest that you contact Arjen about the fact he charged you VAT in the first place, however, are you can probably tell from the other posts in this thread, it might be pointless.

roya
Common Wiggler

Post by roya » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm

I contacted Arjen a couple months ago and got a response after a month or so.

Sold my case after a year last week. The paint of the wood was terrible IMO. Although the case was seating on the same table for over a year (never traveled), the paint started to “disappear” in some areas. Arjen response was to use a black marker to cover those spots :despair:

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:50 am

Noticed this in the comments on one of his Facebook posts. Unfortunately it seems like it's the norm with Arjen when something goes wrong.

Disappointed to say the least.
Attachments
IMG_20210720_084813.jpg

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 am

I've just ordered a case....wish I'd read this thread beforehand!

Problem is there are no alternatives in the UK so I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.

enno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by enno » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 am

James_S wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:50 am
Noticed this in the comments on one of his Facebook posts. Unfortunately it seems like it's the norm with Arjen when something goes wrong.

Disappointed to say the least.
Refund thing happened to me as well.
I think the case is ok, but it's not the highest / cleanest build quality by any means (I have the studio case).

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:45 am

sjbucks wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 am
I've just ordered a case....wish I'd read this thread beforehand!

Problem is there are no alternatives in the UK so I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.
I was gonna use the Case From Lake guy but opted for Arjen's cases.

Kinda wish I hadn't, I've sent multiple messages to the Case From Lake guy and he's so responsive and friendly. Check him out if it's not too late, I think my next case will be from him.

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Post by justin3am » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:50 am

Wow, that's really a shame. Sorry to hear so many folks are having trouble. Hope Arjan's doing okay.
I really like my 14u Performer Pro case.

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 am

James_S wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:45 am

Kinda wish I hadn't, I've sent multiple messages to the Case From Lake guy and he's so responsive and friendly. Check him out if it's not too late, I think my next case will be from him.
Cool, I'll consider that if it doesn't work out with MDLR. Do they close patched? That's been the trickiest thing to find.

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:51 am

pmarchitect wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:47 am

Damn, I've paid VAT on mine too, so I'm likely to have to pay it again at customs? £214? JFC.

If you manage to solve this somehow, can you let us know on this thread? I'm considering cancelling my order now.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 am

I bought a black 3U 84hp MDLR case with the angled front and a Meanwell RT65 power supply (mains, no wall wart) from Arjan 3 years back. The case is great and the transaction went without a hitch.

However the case didn't get much use as I eventually decided I preferred a vertical control panel.

So, if anyone in the UK is interested in it, PM me and I will send you photos. Price is £160 Inc postage within the UK.

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am

All this really is really making one think twice.
Since quite some time I was looking at MDLR for a new case but as I can’t stand bad customer supports, it will definitely not happen. I’ll wait for the intellijel 7U to be available again most probably or something else in any case.
Links to the music -->
https://linktr.ee/soundofraymond

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:38 am

sjbucks wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 am
James_S wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:45 am

Cool, I'll consider that if it doesn't work out with MDLR. Do they close patched? That's been the trickiest thing to find.
Yes! The case I was gonna buy closed patched. If you message him via any of his platforms he'll reply within a few hours, and he'll do any personalisations without problem.

Wish I'd have followed my intuition and gone with him but I was seduced by the higher specs of the MDLR case and the Black Friday sale.

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 am

James_S wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:38 am

Yes! The case I was gonna buy closed patched. If you message him via any of his platforms he'll reply within a few hours, and he'll do any personalisations without problem.

Wish I'd have followed my intuition and gone with him but I was seduced by the higher specs of the MDLR case and the Black Friday sale.
This is excellent news. Thank you, you may have saved me a lot of money and worry here.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”