MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Post by seiesdrum » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:55 am

I currently own a Doepfer 3x84 psu 3 and am considering replacing it with an MDLR case! is it worth the money? Experience with the brand?

veets
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MDLR Cases! worth it ?

Post by veets » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:01 am

I ordered a custom case from Arjan (MDLR): two rows, 126 HP, no power supply. He was great to work with and the quality is excellent. My case is more than three year's old but looks new. Yes, absolutely worth the price it to get exactly what I wanted.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:05 am

I have a performance 12U 104hp w/ Konstant Lab PWR and never had any issues with plenty of fussy Verbos modules. The quality is very good, it closes patched easily. It's very heavy though and wouldn't be my choice if I had to carry it around constantly. It looks pretty good too !
instagram
Youtube : long-form module demos
dc11 - Pulse Outputs 5 tracks ep on Unknown Movement

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:18 am

I also bought a case from Arjan a few years ago, very happy with it, good build quality and ergonomic design.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:20 am

Ok cool, i Want the Square Case from MDLR ! For me is the Best Hybrid Solution...
Attachments
F4ED88A4-900E-429F-87BE-E3333958E226.jpeg

mosorensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mosorensen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am

I have a MDLR 12u x 104hp with the Doepfer PSU3. It is fantastic, and I never had a problem with it.

That said, not to derail, and I realize power and grounding are deeply personal religious issues around here. Speaking for myself, I pray to the god of wall power straight into the case (no wall warts) to establish ground from the wall to the case. Most case manufacturers, including MDLR, now only produce cases with wall warts (I believe due to regulatory approval and legality issues). This opinion may be sacrilegious, and I may inadvertently have invoked the wrath of Hinton.

However, bottom line, for my new case I got a Doepfer monster case for exactly this reason.
The Journey is the Destination

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:47 am

I've got a 12U*114 unpainted studio case from them and have no complaints -- for that size I couldn't find a better deal on powered cases at the time.

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:30 am

I own a custom 20 MDLR case (bought in Jan, received in March). Overall, it's a great case. No flaws to speak of other than extremely minor inconsistencies due to the handmade nature of the object, but that's expected. The case is designed to technically be portable, but it's so heavy when filled, that it's basically ridiculous to try to somehow deal with moving it - even with two people. I couldn't imagine having to drag this thing to a gig - it's capable of it on paper, but in reality it would be a nightmare. Also, the design is super clever (i.e. I'm referring to the fact that you can assemble the case patched due to the inner ring and overall case design) however I would not want to put too much tension on those two hinges that hold both halves of the case together. They feel sturdy, but I've had hinges like this pop off on another case, so I'm slightly skeptical of their longevity. And that's the issue with assembling it patched: it means you have to unhinge the top half of the case, which is really tough to do because of the small offset between the alignment of the two hinges. Therefore, you have to use quite a bit of force to "slide" the hinges out, and it's so awkward that I would not want to repeat it on a regular basis because I'm almost certain the hinges would eventually break.

Anyway, probably TMI but there it is...

Overall, great case but I'm probably getting a Doepfer Monster as my expansion case FWIW...
Last edited by Ivo Ivanov on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:22 am

Ivo Ivanov wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:30 am
I own a custom 20 MDLR case (bought in Jan, received in March). Overall, it's a great case. No flaws to speak of other than extremely minor inconsistencies due to the handmade nature of the object, but that's expected. The case is designed to technically be portable, but it's so heavy when filled, that it's basically ridiculous to try to somehow deal with moving it - even with two people. I couldn't imagine having to drag this thing to a gig - it's capable of it on paper, but in reality it would be a nightmare. Also, the design is super clever (i.e. I'm referring to the fact that you can assemble the case patched due to the inner ring and overall case design) however I would not want to put too much tension on those two hinges that hold both halves of the case together. They feel sturdy, but I've had hinges like this pop off on another case, so I'm slightly skeptical of their longevity. And that's the issue with assembling it patched: it means you have to unhinge the top half of the case, which is really tough to do because of the small offset between the alignment of the two hinges. Therefore, you have to use quite a bit of force to "slide" the hinges out, and it's so awkward that I would not want to repeat it on a regular basis because I'm almost certain the hinges would eventually break.

Anyway, probably TMI but there it is...

Overall, great case but I'm probably getting a Deeper Monster as my expansion case FWIW...

Great Info thanks

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 am

Great to know on these cases as I am debating between one and the Doepfer Monster case. I like being to have part lie flat for easier performance access to stuff on bottom like sequencers, mixers and touch controllers that I want in my next setup.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 am
Great to know on these cases as I am debating between one and the Doepfer Monster case. I like being to have part lie flat for easier performance access to stuff on bottom like sequencers, mixers and touch controllers that I want in my next setup.
I also like having at least one flat row - perfect for "performance" oriented modules.. This 20U MDLR case has three though, and in retrospect I would have preferred two due to ergonomics and desk space. Of course I knew all of that going in - I'm speaking mostly in retrospect, having owned and worked with the MDLR for some months now..

The reason why I'm going with the Doepfer Monster is because of my somewhat limited space (yes, I'm aware that the Monster is in no way "limited" since it's a massive case - I'm talking more about the form factor of my studio space). In my opinion, the Doepfer is the best value per hp out there and while some don't care for the aesthetic, I happen to love it (except for the stupid stickers, which are easily removed).

One more note: if you're looking to lay the Monster flat, you'll be disappointed because the power inlet is in the back-center, preventing it from laying flat. Just something to think about - plus, I think you'd get annoyed having to reach pretty far back to the back two rows... I know it doesn't seem that way, but in everyday use, you'd find it a bit of a strain (also difficult to see modules with screens in those rows).

Hope this helps!

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:46 pm

That is the issue that I have with my Doepfer 6U suitcase case it works great but I cannot fold or lay it flat which would be a pain if I needed to access a sequencer in it. Looking at Mantis case for the sequencer/mixer/FX stuff as that would be easier to use plus cheap and I could add a few more voices and more tools and utilities as well to work with my current setup.
My music:

Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Glad to hear the feedbacks. No issues with the Konstant lab power so ? No noise ?
I have some noisy modules ( from reputation, mines don’t with some 4MS Row power ) and a bit afraid to change my power supply !

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:15 pm

No issues with the Konstant lab power so ? No noise ?
I have two MDLR cases, an older one with the power internalised and a newer one with the Konstant Lab brick. I was a little apprehensive about the Konstant Lab but it is silent. No doubt some, with higher standards, would still say it is shite or a toy etc etc but I can only trust the evidence of my own ears. No noise, no problems. I would still prefer the power supply being inside the case but both my MDLR cases are equally quiet.

pekbro
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:29 pm

MDLR cases are super nice, unnecessary for me in the end. If it were me I might look at the Sector Sieben - Berliner
internal PSU etc and super snazzy. Nothing against MDLR, I just thought the Berliner a nice alternative worth a mention.

Berliner Case

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:06 pm

A friend of mine has this case and he had Never issues etc
Attachments
68C11EA6-0CAD-4020-B733-671C7BD32EF4.jpeg

windchill
Veteran Wiggler

Post by windchill » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:04 pm

I have a performance 12U 104hp w/ Konstant Lab PWR.
It's a wonderful case.
No problems at all, and that includes Verbos modules.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 pm

They look like very nice, very well-made cases. When moving to a larger performance-oriented case, it came down to a 7u MDLR vs the 7u Intellijel. I chose the Intellijel for the weight savings, though it was also half the price and I have zero regrets. No criticisms for the MDLR; I just couldn’t see logic in lugging around a heavy wooden case all the time.

jessem
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jessem » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:03 pm

I have a 12U 126HP case. Power is solid and I have a lot of digital modules.I like that the power headers are all keyed too so there is no chance of making a mistake.

My only real gripe with it is that it has to be on a stand and won't balance straight up and down. I'd like to be able to put a base underneath it (like the monster cases).

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm

seiesdrum wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:20 am
Ok cool, i Want the Square Case from MDLR ! For me is the Best Hybrid Solution...
I have this exact case (9u x 126hp, mdlr powered) and am pretty damn happy with it. The hybrid case is bit deeper than the performance cases, deeper than I needed, but that's not a thing to complain about. My only regret is not going for the 18u, as I will eventually need it and will almost certainly purchase from MDLR again. Would have saved me some money in the long run.

About heaviness, I am able to transport it locally no problem. It's heavy and not exactly a fun experience but doable provided you have a ride and aren't walking.

Edit: here's a picture of mine

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 pm

Yeah I made the mistake twice on buying a 6U case instead of larger 12-14U cases. Being new to modular, I quickly ran out of space due to large modules. Darn it, the cool kid modules are GIGANTIC HUGE! Anyways, I will go for biggest portable case this time around so I can fit a good sequencer, mixer and tons of large fun modules in it.
My music:

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:04 am

Lokua wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 pm
seiesdrum wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:20 am
I have this exact case (9u x 126hp, mdlr powered) and am pretty damn happy with it. The hybrid case is bit deeper than the performance cases, deeper than I needed, but that's not a thing to complain about. My only regret is not going for the 18u, as I will eventually need it and will almost certainly purchase from MDLR again. Would have saved me some money in the long run.

About heaviness, I am able to transport it locally no problem. It's heavy and not exactly a fun experience but doable provided you have a ride and aren't walking.

Edit: here's a picture of mine
Thanks for the Info :)

osten
Common Wiggler

Post by osten » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:53 pm

My 12U 94HP travel case is really well built, sturdy and looks great. Definitely not a cheap option, but worth the money if you want a high quality and hassle free experience.
The case is sturdy enough to take directly onto a plane and put into the overhead compartment, without any additional carry case.

tumblz
Common Wiggler

Post by tumblz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm

As others have pointed out, the main drawback of an MDLR "Performer" case is the weight. Aluminum makes for a better frame, but it raises the cost significantly and then MDLR wouldn't be able to offer all the different sizes and configurations. MDLR now offers some lighter-weight "travel" cases, but not with nearly as many configurations.

I also find that my 12U/104HP Performer case doesn't fold up easily when it is heavily patched up, but that's more of a cable issue and where tendrils become necessary if you need to keep it fully patched up while travelling.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:11 pm

order another one, 4 weeks waiting list :(

Return to “Eurorack Modules”