Frequency Central Cryptograf/Little Melody sequencers - users?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler

Frequency Central Cryptograf/Little Melody sequencers - users?

Post by Bachelard » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Just saw these on the FC website, and they look really intriguing and cleverly designed. Other than the demo videos, can't seem to find much info on them. Anyone got one or both? I like that they're kind of generative based on switches and combinations of states and not linear or completely random or anothe Turing Machine-like thing. There's a minimalism and also flexibility to these that I really like.

Anyway - thinking of ordering pcb+panels for both of them but wondering if anyone has either in their system. I'm mainly using Marbles and stuff going through a Quantimator these days for melodic sequencing, but looking at other options.

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/cryptograf/

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/product/little-melody/

oilpanic
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Frequency Central Cryptograf/Little Melody sequencers - users?

Post by oilpanic » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:38 pm

I put the Cryptograf together and it is great. So much fun. It will need some utilties to be functional, as it is based on the input state of the four binary inputs, but if you have anything that generates gates and maybe a switch that can send out a steady voltage the combinations are seemingly endless. I use some trigger sources into resettable LFOs, together with some 5V sources through a joranalouge switch and the thing is just a joy. You will need a quantizer. It does not generate gates, so it needs supporting modules here also, but chances are that you will be able to put together something fun with what you have.
Little melody is unknown to me.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:35 pm

oilpanic wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:38 pm
I put the Cryptograf together and it is great. So much fun. It will need some utilties to be functional, as it is based on the input state of the four binary inputs, but if you have anything that generates gates and maybe a switch that can send out a steady voltage the combinations are seemingly endless. I use some trigger sources into resettable LFOs, together with some 5V sources through a joranalouge switch and the thing is just a joy. You will need a quantizer. It does not generate gates, so it needs supporting modules here also, but chances are that you will be able to put together something fun with what you have.
I too am really digging my Cryptograf so far, and already looking forward to patching up various control approaches around it, but for the moment and out of curiosity: which resettable LFOs are you pairing with it? And can you mention any notables amongst the “some 5V sources”?

oilpanic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oilpanic » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:20 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:35 pm
oilpanic wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:38 pm
I too am really digging my Cryptograf so far, and already looking forward to patching up various control approaches around it, but for the moment and out of curiosity: which resettable LFOs are you pairing with it? And can you mention any notables amongst the “some 5V sources”?
I’m using Batumi in reset mode with the square wave outs, but you can use any gate like voltage as long as it gets above the threshold. The square wave output is close enough to a gate so that will work.I often take a voltage from my Befaco attenuverter and run it through some switches to toggle some of the inputs remotely. You could use a sequential switch as well. Many offset or attenuverter modules will be normalized to 5V So there is lots to choose from. I think I have three in the rack currently, Happy Nerding MIA, joranalouge switch3 and the Befaco all do this if I remember right.

mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mvdirty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:55 pm

oilpanic wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:20 pm
I’m using Batumi in reset mode with the square wave outs, but you can use any gate like voltage as long as it gets above the threshold. The square wave output is close enough to a gate so that will work.I often take a voltage from my Befaco attenuverter and run it through some switches to toggle some of the inputs remotely. You could use a sequential switch as well. Many offset or attenuverter modules will be normalized to 5V So there is lots to choose from. I think I have three in the rack currently, Happy Nerding MIA, joranalouge switch3 and the Befaco all do this if I remember right.
Thanks oilpanic. I was hazarding a guess that a Batumi might be in there somewhere. ;)

Once I sort out a bit of trigger->gate, I’ll further widen the combination of inputs I use to include trigger sources. In the meantime, various combinations of clocked/sequenced/probability/etc. gates can hit on lots of interesting sequences even with just one set of pot values and especially with the Cryptograf’s switches also in the picture.

As required by law, a warning for Pam’s users: As is too often the case with Pam’s, it does not on its own supply enough voltage to reliably control Cryptograf. Pam’s is not actually 8 HP. Pam’s is 8 HP plus however many HP it takes you to apply gain to its 0-5V outputs.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Cryptograf seems pretty cool. I've long enjoyed running 4 gates into a mixer to generate CVs from combinations of intervals, and Zorlon Cannon works similarly, but this actually breaks it out into all 16 possibilities. The hold switches are a really nice touch.

oilpanic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oilpanic » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm

starthief wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 pm
Cryptograf seems pretty cool. I've long enjoyed running 4 gates into a mixer to generate CVs from combinations of intervals, and Zorlon Cannon works similarly, but this actually breaks it out into all 16 possibilities. The hold switches are a really nice touch.
Not only 16 possible values, but the order and timing is all depending on the status of the gate inputs. To make a “I feel love” bass line would be close to impossible but a funky riff in a wonky shuffle happens on accident all the time.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:15 am

If I recall correctly, Circuit Abbey G8 does exactly the kind of binary counting that would drive this linearly from 1 through 16. Drezno would with a sawtooth LFO for the analog input, and Teletype could do it easily enough. No doubt there are other options... of course that's not where the fun of the module is.

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:11 am

Little Melody looks interesting. Might have to get one. I have a Cryptograf paired with a Polygraf. Nice combo.

AndrewHP
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AndrewHP » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:29 pm

I have a Cryptograf and it threw me completely when I first started using it - it sort of looks like 16 step sequencer but isn't - then I attached it to my Polygraf on the binary programmes 31/32 and it started to make sense to me. I actually built another Polygraf to pair with it permanently as I love it for running percussion loops and didn't want to lose it.

You can noodle away creating new evolving loops of melodies on the fly just with the switches, so you don't need to worry about tuning in a bum note like if you were using the pots of a regular step sequencer live.

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bachelard » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 pm

oilpanic wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm
starthief wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 pm
Not only 16 possible values, but the order and timing is all depending on the status of the gate inputs. To make a “I feel love” bass line would be close to impossible but a funky riff in a wonky shuffle happens on accident all the time.
Oh I bet my Pittsburgh Timetable will play nicely with the Cryptograf.

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bachelard » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Finally finished building the Cryptograf and have been running it with clock from Marbles into Timetable, and using the various Timetable outputs (4 divider plus 4 logic) on the 4 bits - so much fun. I also have the Compare 2 which I haven't tried.

Highly recommended DIY project and sequencer.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”