Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
Jopy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Jopy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:06 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm
It's been created.
Holy cats, that's amazing, thanks for sharing! I use the Subharmonicon a great deal as a sequencer and I (reluctantly) admit that this is the first device I've ever seen that captures the core functionality and user experience that well. There's something quite uniquely playable about the Subharmonicon that isn't quite like any other sequencer...until I saw this. The extra functions are the icing on the cake.

I've been trying to recover the 60hp the Subharmonicon uses by putting it back in it's original format, but didn't want to separate the sequencer as a modulator from the rest of the modules. This might well be the the method for making that switch.

Ohes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Ohes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:54 pm

meneldor wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 am
Here is the diagram from Little Melody's manual. Very interesting!
To make this with other modules, my PNW can supply the clocks — I would just need a logic module to gather the signals back together. Or just buy the Little Melody module :D

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 13.15.39.png
Very interested by this and by what you said here, I also have PNWO and some extra Sequencers (with independant clock inputs) to operate in Subharmonicon mode, but the mystery part is on the logic modules you mentioned : when voltages are summed up, what is happening? Are they added togheter? Is it a "OR" boolean function to avoid too high voltages? Maybe a "sequential switch"?
Don't really understand what could be inside this part and how this could work...
Of course i could sequence several synths, but my question concerns a one synth set up like on the Moog Subharmonicon. :mrgreen:

kesserich
Common Wiggler
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by kesserich » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 pm

batch wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:03 am
Andrew is an active member of this forum. He’s a super nice guy and a highly talented multi-instrumentalist.

I wish I was as productive as he is.
His music is really mediocre and uninspired. I'm sure he's nice and I'm glad that he has a found a profitable gig hyping gear to budding e-musicians but let's not pretend he's a decent composer.

User avatar
Puscha
Common Wiggler
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:49 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Puscha » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 am

artilect99 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm
lol that song at the end. I love how in 2020 you can't state an opinion without somebody giving you a long lecture on etiquette and how it's not cool to say mean things and really you're wrong because so-and-so is really great.
I love how in 2020 butthurt haters who complain about others are actually more annoying than those they complain about, who'd have thought.

Ohes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Ohes » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to find a way to recreate a Moog Subharmonicon sequencer style whith these modules, any idea on a effective patch?

here is my small setup, I also have a Moon Modular M569 step sequencer that could help.
I precise that my Pam New Workout has latest firmware, so it have logic functions, as the Gatestorm.
Thanks a lot!
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2021-07-11 à 18.57.06.png
Capture d’écran 2021-07-11 à 18.57.45.png

Ohes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Ohes » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:27 am

UPPPP :oops:

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:37 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Bachelard » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:41 am

Ohes wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:27 am
UPPPP :oops:
It's probably easier (and, dare I say, more fun) to just get the Frequency Central Little Melody and use your modules for other things. You can of course try to patch it as a proof of concept, but I think that while you can get subdivisions and note sequences easily, the coherence and dependencies of each step to one another, is what makes the sequencer unique. I think you'd lose the workflow and spontaneity with a very large patch replicating it (and I don't normally recommend just getting a module over patching things yourself).

Ohes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Ohes » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:45 am

Thanks a lot for this insight,

i totally understand your point, but i'm really surprised because i was thinking it could be relatively easy to reproduce with my setup, especially with Pam New Workout and a step sequencer...

I'll take your opinion on workflow, and i admit that little melody looks the more easy way.

Anyway just for curiosity, if someone have an idea i'd know what is the patch that could work on my setup!

Kawouddd
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by Kawouddd » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:55 am

Bearing in mind that I haven't fully thought this response through, I think Bastl's popcorn is the closest I've seen.

It has double triggers, which can run two clock sequences; these can also be scaled in imaginative jump forward / jump backwards ways. Yeah, not Subharmonicon, but playing the same game, if not in the same ballpark.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.48.45.png

enno
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 am

Re: Moog Subharmonicon-like sequencers

Post by enno » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 am

I've just checked the Subharmonicon's manual - it's an OR function combining the various clock divisions to advance the sequencer. So I think this should be very easy to replicate with Pamela's NWO advancing a CV sequencer... (probably can even use the internal logic function).
Or am I missing something?
I take the point on workflow though, it's nice to dial in the clock divisions with separate knobs.

What isnt super clear to me is what the Subharmonicon does when the clock divisions align, is that just "one advance" or two? It should be just one but for some reasons demos sound like two advances...

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”