Best eurorack drum sequencer 2020

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Turk128
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Best eurorack drum sequencer 2020

Post by Turk128 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:33 pm

i use eloquencer and cc thru ableton to mutant brain i got 7 drum voices (adm-14,mini-shimmery,plonk,BIA,akemies taiko,ssf entity percussion,fracture)..but i don't use them for triggering stationary not evolving sounds i use them for basslines,glitch percussion,leads,rises and sweeps..etc and i really like the way you'll sequence in fl studio with those grids, so eloquencer was visually spot on, very intuitive in key combine functions an got lfos, probability and external midi thru the expander that closes my clock chain to my desktop synths never liked menu diving and 1 display for grid and 1 for configuration and feedback its very practical..

ludu357
Common Wiggler

Post by ludu357 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 pm

Zularic Repetitor & MPC one

theTwiddler
Common Wiggler

Post by theTwiddler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 am

Hi everyone,
i am looking for a proper cv sequencer that can do thirds easily and that is easy to handle. i also want to see the notes i am playing without to much diving.
I play a lots of genres and sometimes i might wanna have a triplet hihat or bassline and the most cv sequencer i looked at didnt have it.
nerdsq got it but its a lot of diving
cyklone is too expensive for me right now

any suggestions?ist this the right place for the question?

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 am

Eloquencer

Passersby
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Passersby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 am

Best? Probably not but I'm really enjoying the qubit pulsar.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:49 pm

I'm finally putting together a pod full of drums. I will use Steppy and a neglected BeatStep Pro for now. The Erica Drum appeals to me, but all those accent outs seem like overkill. I'm more likely to use CV or gates from other modules for accents. The Korg ST-64 has a big grid of buttons but the drum sequencer seems poorly implemented. Circadian Rhythms looks great, but I wish there was a slightly larger desktop equivalent.

Trigger Man is a very useful tiny 8-output trigger sequencer, but I use it more for complex patches where I just need to trigger a bunch of envelopes. It's fine for chaining a few patterns but not really "playable" as a drum sequencer.

Steppy is a lot of fun, and the ratchet performance is really good. It's great when you're keeping things relatively simple. Again, there's a real estate issue if you're doing complex patches--constantly shifting between different views and only 4 outputs.

Slightly off topic, but I'm also interested in what people think is the best kick drum module.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 am

Dot from DNIPRO - super usable & clear interface, 3 channels of Euclidean and/or XOX, CV inputs, mutes, swing, live record and preset sequencing... 6hp :hail:

Edit: that may have come out in 2019... :mrgreen:
Last edited by OHEXOH on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

CorpusCallosum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CorpusCallosum » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:33 am

Voggg wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:49 pm
I'm finally putting together a pod full of drums. I will use Steppy and a neglected BeatStep Pro for now. The Erica Drum appeals to me, but all those accent outs seem like overkill. I'm more likely to use CV or gates from other modules for accents. The Korg ST-64 has a big grid of buttons but the drum sequencer seems poorly implemented. Circadian Rhythms looks great, but I wish there was a slightly larger desktop equivalent.

Trigger Man is a very useful tiny 8-output trigger sequencer, but I use it more for complex patches where I just need to trigger a bunch of envelopes. It's fine for chaining a few patterns but not really "playable" as a drum sequencer.

Steppy is a lot of fun, and the ratchet performance is really good. It's great when you're keeping things relatively simple. Again, there's a real estate issue if you're doing complex patches--constantly shifting between different views and only 4 outputs.

Slightly off topic, but I'm also interested in what people think is the best kick drum module.
The Cwejman BLD or BLD-2 are amazing if you can stomach the price.

Alexander Kuznetsov
Common Wiggler

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 am

IO Flux

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 am

honestly it realy depend what you whant and what is your forkflow, personaly i need imediacity, and i HATE XOX style,take some time for allway doing the same things.
and this is somthing you can easly fix with sequenceur like : grids.... or some NE repetitore (don't talk about ecleudian alway the same it's to statik and no velocity so for drum........)
juste turn knob found rythm you like ad cv that all , you are goind to build awesome rythme realy easly ( you NEED to CV thios type of sequenceur or il will be 16 step repeteting )

Personaly i was realy happy by the flux sound but in realy$ity when you look User video, you quick understand if you whant to do rythm like in the demo it will take you sooo long to programe...

when i make music it need to be fun inbspiring ect not another XOX or euclidian sequenceur ;)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

Rosa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:23 am

+1 for steppy! But I also like usta

hitchy96
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hitchy96 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:57 pm
Metron is probably the most extensive Eurorack gate sequencer on the market, but there are lots of things it doesn’t do, and some things other gate sequencers undoubtedly do better.

Also, “drum sequencer”, “trigger sequencer” and “gate sequencer” can all mean slightly different things—or tilt in different directions—depending on who is talking. For example, the Erica Drum Sequencer is really focused on sequencing percussion voices with triggers and accents, whereas a module like Metron or Circadian Rhythms is conceived with more general purpose for triggering, gating, clocking, and otherwise controlling your patch over time.
I’m thinking of replacing my varigate 8, would you say the Erica drum sequencer would be a better option? I mainly use the varigate for drums anyway and sometime the two cv channels but they aren’t great.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 pm

hitchy96 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 pm
I’m thinking of replacing my varigate 8, would you say the Erica drum sequencer would be a better option? I mainly use the varigate for drums anyway and sometime the two cv channels but they aren’t great.
The problem with the word “better” is that it requires a lot of qualification. Generally speaking, the Erica Drum Sequencer is probably going much better for programming deliberate patterns, but probably less good for ceding control to probability algorithms. I never really got the appeal of the Varigate series, myself. If you’re interested in a sequencer like the Erica, you should watch the videos, read the manual, and try to glean whether the workflow is likely to work for you. Workflow is everything with sequencers. If you’re feeling good about it, then it might be worth trying out.

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm

I love my Erica Synths Black Sequencer and I love it so far!

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:06 pm

Alexander Kuznetsov wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 am
IO Flux
+1

barnbrook
Learning to Wiggle

Post by barnbrook » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:24 am

logic gates are good to investigate – it’s worth taking gates from different sources multing them and feeding them into logic modules to get some complimentary beats. other than than that if you are a WYSIWYG person - euclidian circles is great with a clock divider or the eloquencer with some probability dialled in.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am

meska wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 am
honestly it realy depend what you whant and what is your forkflow, personaly i need imediacity, and i HATE XOX style,take some time for allway doing the same things.
and this is somthing you can easly fix with sequenceur like : grids.... or some NE repetitore (don't talk about ecleudian alway the same it's to statik and no velocity so for drum........)
juste turn knob found rythm you like ad cv that all , you are goind to build awesome rythme realy easly ( you NEED to CV thios type of sequenceur or il will be 16 step repeteting )
I just listened to Uninstrumentale and Condensation EP on Bandcamp. Nice work!

We're these made with a pseudo-generative sequencer like grids?
VINO MALO streaming every Friday at 8pm Mountain | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:19 am

As much as I love my Metron, I am looking at DIY'ing a second Frequency Central Polygraf sequencer. It's a PITA to program, almost like programming steps NOT in realtime as old sequencers like the MC-4, MSQ's, etc), but once it's got the patterns you'd want, it packs a pretty good punch.
Instagram | Soundcloud | MG Main Rack 6U+6U

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:50 am

c0rpse wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am
meska wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 am
I just listened to Uninstrumentale and Condensation EP on Bandcamp. Nice work!

We're these made with a pseudo-generative sequencer like grids?
some tracks on unistumental yes ;)
i made a quick video about grids a main sequenceur :
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:35 pm

I love my stppy even if I have a push2 and es9
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:08 pm

I love using Eloquencer or Metron for modular percussion but Euclidean circles also is fun and colorful. If I was playing live on a small modular rig, then I’d use my Euclidean circles for the wow factor as well as ease to view in dark loud clubs. If I use just one sequencer for drums and other stuff the Eloquencer wins for powerful cv and gate control in one module. I do like Metron for many drum module sequencing at a time and with the Voltera and Axxent expansion modules opens up more options for pitch and accent control.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Return to “Eurorack Modules”