Eskatonic power?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Eskatonic power?

Post by BTG »

I can't find any info on this -- no reviews, hell, not even any of the standard power supply arguments. I know Erik Needham uses this for his monster cases but would love to see if others have experience with this gear.
Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Re: Eskatonic power?

Post by Ivo Ivanov »

From what I've read, Erik partners with someone in Germany whom makes these boards.

Unfortunately I don't know anything more than that, but I actually held off on buying a Needham case for this exact reason.. the power solution.

It goes without saying that the woodworking is beyond stellar.. but in my personal opinion, the power solution could be developed further.

What I mean is; while the integrity of the boards seems good judging by the specs, I'm not fond of the configurations I've seen on the site. To be specific, if you take a look at many of the cases, they are 150 or 168 hp wide but only have one standard width bus board in the center, implying a lack of quantity of headers and/or the need for longer, third party ribbon cables. For all I know this has been addressed, but worth noting since it's the main reason I went with another case.

b2v2uotz0x7q6aeuh3al.jpg
wbdjopv4fbcf01cobhqj.jpg
Tonefloat01

Post by Tonefloat01 »

I believe that you can specify exactly which power solution you prefer and they will install it in your custom case.
I believe they even offer a discount on both TipTop and Eskatonic power solutions but they don’t force you into one.
M78
Wiggling with Experience

Post by M78 »

curious about this as well
needlz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by needlz »

Hiya,

Erik Needham here. A customer who picked up a case from my quarantined shop told me there was some discussion about my boards.

What specs do you guys want? I made them expressly to be quieter, more powerful, and exponentially easier to install than the Tip Top Zeus Studio boards. I was using those for all my cases for over a year and had numerous quality returns. They were also a nightmare to install (for a woodworker).

I'm currently doing active w/ passive bus boards, but the new version we're about to launch will be all active. My cabinet business, Needham Woodworks, was plowing through boards faster than I could have them made, and with the coronavirus shutting down a factory that was making components for us, we used the downtime to develop and prototype our new boards. We're completely out of stock on nearly all power related components.

-e
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG »

as a general rule when people "what is your experience with this power supply?" it's usually asking about:

* noise/crosstalk
* power
* startup failures (or not)
* compatibility (e.g. Pressure Points, Mini Horse, some 5V)

If you see the LIBB thread you can see it can become contentious, but power is probably the most important part of a Euro system and when a new challenger emerges, people get curious :)

(FWIW, I've had Intellijel and TT Studio Zeus and MN and all seemed fine, although I prefer the Intellijel currently).
Ted

Post by Ted »

Anyone else rocking these boards?
Tonefloat01

Post by Tonefloat01 »

Very curious about hearing your real-world experiences with these Eskatonic power boards and your Needham modular case(s).
I’ve been sitting on the sidelines for a long time to see whether or not people are having problems with these builds before I pull the trigger on one myself.
I have a ton of digital (hybrid) modules that all seem to be playing quite well in my various Doepfer Monster cases but I’d like everything to be consolidated into one larger mothership case, hence my interest in the Needham/Eskatonic modular builds.
Anyone care to vouch for their integrity????
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

I ordered 4 of the new Eskatonic Obsidian boards from Perfect Circuit for my new 19U studio case. I recieved one of them - the rest are on backorder - and I am getting no feedback from PC or Eskatonic/Needham on an ETA... so I wait....
I've powered up some modules with the one board, and am temporarily using two borrowed Intellijel TPS80W boards for the balance of my modules. Total load (using ModularGrid calcs) is 5.4A on the +12V rail, and 3.5A on the -12V.
I am powering all three boards from a single Meanwell GST160A15-R7B, which has 9.6A on tap.
Eskatonic's website has a warning that powering the Obsidian board with this meanwell transformer needs to have a minimum of 2A of Current draw from the modules, or else the board will resonate/buzz/him/squeal.... and it does! So, I have all of my modules spread across the Eskatonic and two Intellijels.
Part of my design has Intellijel 1U modules mounted on the back panel of the case, and I'm using the Eskatonic 1U power entry module to connect the Meanwell supply into the system. From there power is distributed with 12GA wire to the Intellijels, and the fantastic quick clip cable for the Obsidian board.
Tthe Obsidian board is gorgeous. It came with the mounting plate and quickclip cable. The mounting plate is a fantastic way to mount the boards. The construction quality of the Eskatonic stuff is top notch. The wiring is clean and simple.
I've tested a few of my more critical modules powered through Obsidian: My Complex Oscillators are steady and smooth. They don't drift nearly as much as before.... and my Piston Honda MkIII and Hertz Donut MkIII (both digital) had a tendancy to waver in pitch very subtly when droning - and now they are rock-solid. This could be due to the massive Meanwell PSU... but I think it is probably due to that my previous setup all of these modules were crammed into 100% full Intellijel 7U performance cases, and my new case/console design is designed for convection cooling - so the modules get to temperature and don't get much hotter. All in all, I am finding my whole system runs far better/smoother with this current power configuration, and I anticipate the complete set of 4 Obisidan boards will be much the same... if they ever show up.
One thing I noticed when shopping around for power is that so much of the market has overwhelmingly asymetric supplies - and I have a lot of -12V to deal with. Not many options out there.

If I don't hear from PC or Eskatonic soon (so far it's just crickets for a few weeks now), I'm considering dropping the order and going either Trogotronic (not sure if these are any good) - or maybe KonstantLab - which would be considerably more expensive.
This would be a shame - I really like the Eskatonic stuff!
Ted

Post by Ted »

I ended up just getting a couple of Doepfer Monster cases. Eskatonic stopped selling through their own site after my badgering them about restocks for several weeks. Had a feeling I'd be waiting even longer once they decided to punt on their own store. Good luck to ya tho, I'm sure PC is wondering what's up as well...
EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR »

I have passive bus boards that I designed to fill up a 150HP 18U case with copper bus bars in the middle but the case is not finished and I don't want to jack someone's thread. I'm using off the shelf bel fuse power supplies 6.8A +12v and 5.1A -12v in a vented case. I also did something similar to the mounting plate but I am using custom 3D printed feet that mount to the bus boards making the installation much easier while the case is vertical and you have a drill in one hand. I hate those standoffs that move around when you are in the process of mounting bus boards. Not really trying to sell anything. Just saying that anyone can design a passive bus board for 150HP. I would expect any case manufacturer to do their own design. What I have is nothing special. That's why I don't think there is much of a market for my bus boards anyway.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
needlz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by needlz »

They’re at PC now. The component shortfall affected our shipping times, but we stockpiled with a much larger production run this time, hopefully giving us enough to stay ahead of orders.
Between Needham Woodworks and retail via Perfect Circuit & Patchwerks, we run out of boards before more are made.
circleofmyths
1-Post Wiggler

Post by circleofmyths »

needlz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:06 pm They’re at PC now. The component shortfall affected our shipping times, but we stockpiled with a much larger production run this time, hopefully giving us enough to stay ahead of orders.
Between Needham Woodworks and retail via Perfect Circuit & Patchwerks, we run out of boards before more are made.
Hi needlz — Do you know when the next batch of bus boards will be landing at dealers? Can't wait to get a few of these in a new rack! :hyper:
perilousp
Common Wiggler

Post by perilousp »

Hey I'm looking at two of these boards for a 11U 168hp case I'm building. I'm planning on powering both boards with a single Hurricane adapter - rated for 160W. Unfortunately of course, I would run well short of headers with only 32 available over two boards (I need 50).

Two boards easily serve my power needs with plenty of buffer power on tap. Could someone guide me as to whether I can connect two passive bus boards to these, what the best way to do so would be, and also detailed instructions aimed at a somewhat power-layman. I reached out to Eskatonic for clarity, but I'm yet to hear from them, and I really need to place orders soon - they have to travel half the world to India.

Thanks!
MoltenReplica
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MoltenReplica »

To my knowledge, passive busboards can just clip in to the power header of an active board like so:

However, I am definitely also a power noob and there may be caveats to this. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can chime in. I'm having a similar issue with Eskatonic not answering a power question.
megarat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megarat »

Hi everyone. In theory I should have a new cabinet arriving within a few weeks with a full Eskatonic power system, and all I need is the right power brick(s) to make it go. I'm hoping that someone can help me confirm which power brick(s) I should obtain in advance, so I'm ready to go.

As I understand it, the cabinet will have the Obsidian 1U power entry panel with the two four-pin female connectors. The Mean Well "160A" or "120A" power bricks are recommended to use with this system.

Looking at my rack setup on MG, I see the following total power requirements: 6604 mA +12V | 3408 mA -12V | 360 mA 5V. On the surface, this means that my power brick(s) need to supply at least 6.604A, but I've heard the scuttlebutt here that a power supply should have at least 20% overhead, to account for power-on surge, etc.

The Mean Well GST120A15-R7B brick is spec'd for 7A, which on its own might be insufficient, given the above rule of thumb re: 20% overhead. Thus, I should either use two of these GST120A15-R7B bricks, or a single GST160A15-R7B brick, which is rated for 9.6A of output current.

Is this correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.
:drunkbanana:
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

megarat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:53 am Hi everyone. In theory I should have a new cabinet arriving within a few weeks with a full Eskatonic power system, and all I need is the right power brick(s) to make it go. I'm hoping that someone can help me confirm which power brick(s) I should obtain in advance, so I'm ready to go.

As I understand it, the cabinet will have the Obsidian 1U power entry panel with the two four-pin female connectors. The Mean Well "160A" or "120A" power bricks are recommended to use with this system.

Looking at my rack setup on MG, I see the following total power requirements: 6604 mA +12V | 3408 mA -12V | 360 mA 5V. On the surface, this means that my power brick(s) need to supply at least 6.604A, but I've heard the scuttlebutt here that a power supply should have at least 20% overhead, to account for power-on surge, etc.

The Mean Well GST120A15-R7B brick is spec'd for 7A, which on its own might be insufficient, given the above rule of thumb re: 20% overhead. Thus, I should either use two of these GST120A15-R7B bricks, or a single GST160A15-R7B brick, which is rated for 9.6A of output current.

Is this correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.
That bolded bit above is an incorrect assumption. You forgot to account for the different voltages and all 3 rails, not just the +12V

I think you need either a 9.6A or two of the 7A supplies.

The Mean Well you suggest supplies upto 7A of current at 15 V = 105 W of power ( 7x 15 )

Your system needs 6.6A for +12V (80W), 3.4A for -12V (40W), and 0.36A for 5V rails (1.8W)
ie 124W rounded up, then for 15V supply, this means you need at least 8.2A (124/15)
If you want 20% overhead you'll need something that can supply 10.3A at 15V
So maybe two 7A bricks?
megarat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megarat »

drxcm wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:24 am That bolded bit above is an incorrect assumption. You forgot to account for the different voltages and all 3 rails, not just the +12V

I think you need either a 9.6A or two of the 7A supplies.

The Mean Well you suggest supplies upto 7A of current at 15 V = 105 W of power ( 7x 15 )

Your system needs 6.6A for +12V (80W), 3.4A for -12V (40W), and 0.36A for 5V rails (1.8W)
ie 124W rounded up, then for 15V supply, this means you need at least 8.2A (124/15)
If you want 20% overhead you'll need something that can supply 10.3A at 15V
So maybe two 7A bricks?
Got it, thank you. I didn't know of this process to properly add them up. I appreciate the feedback. A pair of 7A bricks sounds like the way to go, unless anyone here believes that a single 9.6A brick should work fine.
megarat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megarat »

Hi again, folks. I have a quick question for you Eskatonic owners.

I just took receipt of my Needham case with Eskatonic power solution (oh happy day), and I have a question about how the power system works.

Based on my recent conversation, I had picked up a pair of 7A bricks to use with this system, as the power system has two power inputs.

But looking at how the entire system is wired up, I’m seeing that all of the bus boards are connected to only one set of terminals on the power entry plate. Here’s a photo:

386B6376-F6E9-41DC-8D4E-0C8886256ABE.jpeg

Does this mean that only the power input jack on that side of the plate will provide power to the system? In order to use the second power input, will I need to connect some of busses to the terminals on the other side?

I looked for a manual but couldn’t find anything. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

Duplicate Post
Last edited by studioutopia on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

Duplicate Post
Last edited by studioutopia on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

Duplicate post
Last edited by studioutopia on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

megarat wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:24 pm Hi again, folks. I have a quick question for you Eskatonic owners.

I just took receipt of my Needham case with Eskatonic power solution (oh happy day), and I have a question about how the power system works.

Based on my recent conversation, I had picked up a pair of 7A bricks to use with this system, as the power system has two power inputs.

But looking at how the entire system is wired up, I’m seeing that all of the bus boards are connected to only one set of terminals on the power entry plate. Here’s a photo:

386B6376-F6E9-41DC-8D4E-0C8886256ABE.jpeg

Does this mean that only the power input jack on that side of the plate will provide power to the system? In order to use the second power input, will I need to connect some of busses to the terminals on the other side?

I looked for a manual but couldn’t find anything. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The power inlet module has two buses for two bricks.
from your photo - move one of the internal cables from the bus on the right to one of the two headers on bus on the left.
Each internal cable, and whatever bus boards are attached to it, will get power from one of the two 7A bricks.
14A of current split amongst two internal busses - that's a lot of juice!!!
megarat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by megarat »

studioutopia wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 pm The power inlet module has two buses for two bricks.
from your photo - move one of the internal cables from the bus on the right to one of the two headers on bus on the left.
Each internal cable, and whatever bus boards are attached to it, will get power from one of the two 7A bricks.
Thanks so much. Your description is very clear, but being a “measure twice, cut once” kind of guy, can you please confirm that I interpreted your instructions properly? (And from there, each of those cables daisy-chains three bus boards together.)

5502C76B-AF81-457D-A43E-E2B1ADCA5091.jpeg
studioutopia wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 pm 14A of current split amongst two internal busses - that's a lot of juice!!!
Indeed, although my alternative was to power everything from a single 9.6A brick, which would only give me ~15% overhead, so I decided to play it safe.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”