Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by mdoudoroff »

Scatre wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:52 pm RE: Pitch locking -For those who haven’t inquired yet (per Thomas at 4ms):

Firmware #1: Shift+Detune to fine tune, Shift+Pitch to lock pitch
https://4mscompany.com/media/ENOSC/firm ... chlock.wav
Firmware #2: Shift+Pitch to fine tune (which also locks Pitch)
https://4mscompany.com/media/ENOSC/firm ... netune.wav

On both these firmwares, the Freeze (Shift) button flashes cyan if just Pitch is locked (normally it flashes grey if anything is locked). Also, the range of fine tuning is about -1 to +1 semitone.

Firmware #2 (Shift+Pitch to fine tune) is a little funky, because when you start doing a fine tune action, the pitch usually jumps immediately. So if pitch knob is at 25% and then you start to fine tune, the fine tune amount will jump to where the knob is (25%), which translates to about -0.5 semitones. A little odd, but maybe ok. Also in this version, if you enter Learn Mode and do its fine tuning, the normal fine tuning is lost (or overwritten). Basically you can’t use both fine tune modes.
I’ve been testing #1. It’s initially a little weird reaching for the detune trimmer for fine tuning—and in squinty contradiction to the panel graphics—but it works pretty well in practice when you internalize it, which I did quickly.
fastlanestranger wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:26 pm
mdoudoroff wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:30 pm Made another vid. Hopefully someone will find it fun.
Awesome!

I’ve yet to dig into this functionality and your demonstration just showed me that I need to give it a go.

Apropos of nothing, it also reminded me of this beautiful song:
Heh… my video mainly reminds me that it would’ve sounded a lot better if I had quantized the pitch. (It’s certainly got a queasiness to it I don’t detect in Johannsson’s piece :lol:) But I wanted to keep the patch as rudimentary as possible, and EnOsc is often not about quantized stuff, anyway.
_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ »

I installed firmware 1 and i'm glad to have the fine tuning and especially locking ability, but gotta say im a little disappointed it doesn't remember tuning and locking through a power down. If it's possible for a future update to remember these states through a power cycle that would be ideal.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

_lampshade_ wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:48 pm I installed firmware 1 and i'm glad to have the fine tuning and especially locking ability, but gotta say im a little disappointed it doesn't remember tuning and locking through a power down. If it's possible for a future update to remember these states through a power cycle that would be ideal.
I can’t speak for 4ms, but I suspect if they could’ve, they would’ve. It aches, due to the complex nature of this oscillator. For my part, I’d also like to see an actual tuning mode (access to the actual fundamental pitch of the oscillator) and for a new interval (in learn mode) having its own output, so it can be tuned with a scope. On the other hand, this oscillator is sufficiently unique that we probably should give them a pass for not anticipating every last detail.
20edo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 20edo »

_lampshade_ wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:48 pm I installed firmware 1 and i'm glad to have the fine tuning and especially locking ability, but gotta say im a little disappointed it doesn't remember tuning and locking through a power down. If it's possible for a future update to remember these states through a power cycle that would be ideal.
The alternative firmware for Plaits and Rings by lylepmills does exactly what you're asking. Also upon locking the pitch, the pitch knob doubles as an octave selector which is pretty performative.

Probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle to add that functionality to the Enosc. Then again i don't know shit about coding so i could be wrong.

Considering the overall ingenuity and awesomeness of the Enosc, it really is moaning on a high level tho. Not to say i wouldn't appreciate it if somebody actually took the time to implement these features.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

It’s not open source like MI.
MrV63
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrV63 »

Thanks for the updates! Installed firmware 1. When locking the pitch move the knob far away from where the pitch is set because if the knob reaches the original pitch position it will unlock. So don't just nudge it a little to lock because if you accidentally bump it you can accidentally unlock it.
vidret wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:03 pm My jams are better now, but my 4-step sequences were fire before :lol:
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

I've had an Ensemble Oscillator for a year or so.

In the last year I've seen alot of Stereo oscillators and effects coming out.

It really makes me envious - What if the Ensemble Osc had a stereo mode in which the odd/even partials were mid/side and the crossfading between them widened or narrowed these?

This thing is just steps away from becoming an enviable stereo oscillator with features beyond those other stereo oscillators.. It seems like it could be done with firmware - a few more stereo modes and a few more balance modes. It could be really badassed.. Just saying.

:beer:
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

I've had an Ensemble Oscillator for a year or so.

In the last year I've seen alot of Stereo oscillators and effects coming out.

It really makes me envious - What if the Ensemble Osc had a stereo mode in which the odd/even partials were mid/side and the crossfading between them widened or narrowed these?

This thing is just steps away from becoming a killer stereo oscillator with features beyond those other stereo oscillators.. It seems like it could be done with firmware - a few more stereo modes and a few more balance modes. It could be really badassed.. Just saying.

:beer:
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

I am ashamed to admit that I haven’t patched this in stereo hardly at all. I think I have some research to do.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

I think the EnOsc is already a killer stereo oscillator, and I think it pretty well hit its design goals. I also think its hardware is already more than maxed out in terms of the quality UX it can deliver.

Could there be an EnOsc 2 some day that goes beyond? Maybe? But Mr. Puech might have other fish to fry.
MrV63
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrV63 »

It does feel like some of the current stereo modes are actually more useful for dual mono processing which is cool too and opens up other possibilities. Overall, super happy with the EnsOsc and it's capabilities but I would never say no to new feature updates!
vidret wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:03 pm My jams are better now, but my 4-step sequences were fire before :lol:
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

This is being worked on.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Empress ZOIA, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
DomIndus
Common Wiggler

Post by DomIndus »

I think it will be obvious for most because it's almost written in the manual if you can read and if you're a little bit curious, but I was positively glad to hear the gentle arpeggios when Spread is correctly VC-ed.
In my case, a descending arpeegios was ruinning just after a note was played.

THhs module is great and versatile but it's massive sweet spotness has often stopped me for exploring it more :D
_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ »

mrfang wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:58 pm
This is being worked on.
Awesome! love Enosc.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

Where on their websuite is the latest firmware? Can't seem to find it.
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals »

We are almost ready for an official firmware release, but for the eager early-adopters, here is a pre-release version that addresses the most common requests we get:
- Fine Tuning of Pitch (Shift + Pitch)
- Pitch locking happens automatically when you fine-tune
- Pitch Lock and Fine Tuning values are saved after power down and restored on power-up
- Sweeping Root knob or CV is more clean at all Crossfade settings
Plus a number of minor bug fixes and improvements.

If your serial number is between 2400 and 2799, then please contact us before you attempt to upgrade. If you're not sure, check first!
https://4mscompany.com/media/ENOSC/firm ... .1dev2.wav
pelang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelang »

Excellent update. Works perfectly. Thank you !
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

Got it up and running on the first try. Sounding good!
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
avisitfromdrum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by avisitfromdrum »

@4mspedals thanks for this update!! how do you undo pitch locking? I want to be able to get back to the full sweep of the pitch knob but I can only fine tune now that I've locked the pitch once.
pelang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelang »

avisitfromdrum wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:09 pm @4mspedals thanks for this update!! how do you undo pitch locking? I want to be able to get back to the full sweep of the pitch knob but I can only fine tune now that I've locked the pitch once.
just move the pitch knob much more away
Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dob »

Great! Thanks, updated. First time right.

I figured the most pure, easy and interruption-free way to do it is to use Assimil8or, load the firmware as sample and let it play to the enosc in one-shot mode.
flything
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flything »

hawkfuzz wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:19 pm It’s not open source like MI.
"If you’re interested in compiling your own modifications, the open-source licensed source files (in C++) can be found on 4ms Company’s github: https://www.github.com/4ms "
flything
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flything »

Got some odd behaviour with my Ensoc...

Latest dev firmware, performed a factory reset
Tuned to C in 12 TET Scale
Spread, Balance, FM, Warp, Twist, Detune all turned all the way left

I have tried changing the cross-fading setting, number of oscillators setting, doesn't make any difference.

Only patched into A

When I sweep the Scale the root note changes:

1 = C3
2 = G2
3 = G2
4 = G2
5 = G2
6 =Bb2
7 = Ab2
8 = Bb2
9 = Bb2
10 = A2

If I then turn the root down so we have C2 I then get:

1 = C2
2 = G2
3 = E2
4 = Eb2
5 = Eb2
6 = Eb2
7 = F2
8 = C2#
9 = E2
10 = E2

If I am reading the manual right, this shouldn't happen, root note should always be C, or am I doing something wrong?
rantonerik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rantonerik »

flything wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:52 am Got some odd behaviour with my Ensoc...

If I am reading the manual right, this shouldn't happen, root note should always be C, or am I doing something wrong?
I'm curious as well. I have observed similar behavior, and assumed it had to do with quantization. I.e. the root setting is before quantization according to the manual ("The Root knob controls the pitch of the lowest (root) oscillator before quantization") thus I guessed that changing the scale, while leaving root stationary, would mean the current root CV value would be snapped to the nearest note in the selected scale.
flything
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flything »

rantonerik wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:05 pm
flything wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:52 am Got some odd behaviour with my Ensoc...

I'm curious as well. I have observed similar behavior, and assumed it had to do with quantization. I.e. the root setting is before quantization according to the manual ("The Root knob controls the pitch of the lowest (root) oscillator before quantization") thus I guessed that changing the scale, while leaving root stationary, would mean the current root CV value would be snapped to the nearest note in the selected scale.
I thought it might be to do with Quantisation, but firstly I have crossfading set to "I" (in fact it doesn't matter what I have the cross fading set to, the result is the same) and then page 14 of the manual gives the 10 different 12 TET Scales, all assuming the root is C0.

I can't understand the point in tuning to a note, C or anything else as the root, if you have to retune when you change the scale.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”