Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by mrfang »

Michael wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm Did they happen to mention if this firmware update addresses anything else, other bugs etc.? I’m just asking because I find it somewhat odd there were never any firmware updates posted in the firmware update tab for ENOSC on the website. One of the things I like about ENOSC is there haven’t been 20 firmware fixes like you see with other modules/makers.
I updated the firmware update tab of the site just today to restate what we've asked here, that people email us if they would like to receive the firmware update that addresses extraneous noise when sweeping the Root note. The reason the file is not linked on the site is that there is a small number of units with specific serial numbers that, due to a different STM chip being used, cannot be updated with this firmware unless they are sent to us.

The only other known issue is a few recent units with PCB revision v1.0-b having intermittent boot issues. We also have a separate firmware fix for this.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Empress ZOIA, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals »

(Reposting with the company's account for greater visibility)

I updated the firmware update tab of the site just today to restate what we've asked here, that people email us if they would like to receive the firmware update that addresses extraneous noise when sweeping the Root note. The reason the file is not linked on the site is that there is a small number of units with specific serial numbers that, due to a different STM chip being used, cannot be updated with this firmware unless they are sent to us. The noise issue should only be present for units with serial numbers under 2800.

The only other known issue is a few recent units with PCB revision v1.0-b having intermittent boot issues. We also have a separate firmware fix for this.

Again, send email to us at 4ms@4mscompany.com for the firmware link.
Michael
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael »

Thanks for the reply and the help.
mrfang wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm
Michael wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm Did they happen to mention if this firmware update addresses anything else, other bugs etc.? I’m just asking because I find it somewhat odd there were never any firmware updates posted in the firmware update tab for ENOSC on the website. One of the things I like about ENOSC is there haven’t been 20 firmware fixes like you see with other modules/makers.
I updated the firmware update tab of the site just today to restate what we've asked here, that people email us if they would like to receive the firmware update that addresses extraneous noise when sweeping the Root note. The reason the file is not linked on the site is that there is a small number of units with specific serial numbers that, due to a different STM chip being used, cannot be updated with this firmware unless they are sent to us.

vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

deleted.
d33pz
Common Wiggler

Post by d33pz »

When will the firmware with the locking pitch knob feature be released?
BB88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BB88 »

vrtsig wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:59 am Does anyone else have a problem with noise from the EnOsc? Mine often produces a constant scratchy noise / distortion that seems to increase when lowering the root note or turning Balance to the left (but maybe that's only because it isn't masked by the higher ones, anymore?). It makes it impossible to get truly clean sounds out of the module. Oddly enough, it's not always there when I boot up the rack but almost always appears after a few minutes. I've seen one or two other people in this thread mention something like this. Did anyone manage to fix it or get it solved by sending back their unit for a new one?
So, I have had this issue as well. Just randomly started one day. There was in a long email string with several people from 4ms. I was sent two or three different firmwares that didn't fix the problem and had some strange errors where the firmware would brick my unit until factory resetting. Eventually with no luck in fixing the problem, he sent me the original firmware that came with my unit, which is an older one, and wanted me to send the unit in for repair. After installing the original firmware, it installed perfectly and the noise stopped happening and has not come back. I might also add that this was only happening when cross fading was off.

It was determined that the "indecision" noise was happening because crossfade was set to 0 and for whatever reason, the notes didn't know where to fall in the grid and would buzz back and forth at audio rate not knowing which side of the quantize line to fall on. He said he was working on a solution in the firmware.
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

d33pz wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:25 am When will the firmware with the locking pitch knob feature be released?
Send email to 4ms@4mscompany.com to receive this firmware. Edit for clarity: there are two experimental firmwares that implement pitch locking in different ways. If you are not concerned about pitch locking, ok to disregard.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Empress ZOIA, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

Happy to report that the firmware seems to fix my noise issues with no effect on latency. Thank you, @mrfang !
mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner »

Trying out a new video style for me with no talking just playing with different patches focused around specific modules. Here’s some playful sounds with what has become my favourite oscillator:

fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

mikmanner wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 am Trying out a new video style for me with no talking just playing with different patches focused around specific modules. Here’s some playful sounds with what has become my favourite oscillator:

Awesome stuff. I woke up and listened…great way to start the day.
Last night I spent nearly two hours running this through Natural Gate and then through Electus…and just played with various knobs and chords and spread and didn’t want to ever stop. I’m also highly keen on this wonderful thing.
Thanks for sharing.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

I made a short video tutorial for beginners of how to tune the module.

cclipper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cclipper »

mdoudoroff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:24 pm I made a short video tutorial for beginners of how to tune the module...
Thanks! Really nice video. Haven't dipped my toe in yet with the ENOSC but very likely will be my next purchase.
This helped, and I liked the jam at the end. Shows the power of small variations in root and scale.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

I’ve been trying to work on an in-depth tutorial video for the Ensemble Oscillator but I ran face-first into trouble when trying to use learn mode with the knobs: everything seems to go as I expect until I leave learn mode, but when I do, the root frequency has become something else and the module is out of tune. Most of the time. Not all of the time. Maybe my expectations are off, or maybe there’s a bug. I emailed 4ms about it, waiting for response.

Meanwhile, creating new scales using the pitch jack and the learn trigger input just seems to work as expected, every time.
Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit »

mdoudoroff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:24 pm I made a short video tutorial for beginners of how to tune the module.

Nice video. Isn't fine tune achieved holding Freeze while turn the pitch knob? I think I read that in the manual and that's what I've been doing. Helps immensely.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Jazz-Circuit wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:51 pm Isn't fine tune achieved holding Freeze while turn the pitch knob? I think I read that in the manual and that's what I've been doing. Helps immensely.
It would make sense, but the only manual I know of (1.1c) says nothing about that, and holding Freeze (shift) and manipulating Pitch on my unit is no different than manipulating pitch without holding the button down.

As far as I can ascertain, “Fine Tune” only applies within learn mode, and you employ it holding down the LEARN button.
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff »

mikmanner wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:52 am Trying out a new video style for me with no talking just playing with different patches focused around specific modules. Here’s some playful sounds with what has become my favourite oscillator:

That's cool! How are you modulating the Ensemble, and how are you sequencing everything?
Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit »

mdoudoroff wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:09 pm
Jazz-Circuit wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:51 pm Isn't fine tune achieved holding Freeze while turn the pitch knob? I think I read that in the manual and that's what I've been doing. Helps immensely.
It would make sense, but the only manual I know of (1.1c) says nothing about that, and holding Freeze (shift) and manipulating Pitch on my unit is no different than manipulating pitch without holding the button down.

As far as I can ascertain, “Fine Tune” only applies within learn mode, and you employ it holding down the LEARN button.
You're right. I totally tricked myself into thinking I was getting better at tuning holding the freeze button and I realized it's the panel that made me think it was an actual fine tune function, cuz it says Fine tune in the black bubble, not realizing that's for Learn mode which I've never used the knobs for. I think bracing my finger on the freeze button was helping me steady my hand since I was tuning with the same hand I was using to hold the Freeze button lol. That would be a nice feature to add though maybe. I just added the Firmware that addresses the extraneous noise issue with earlier models like mine and it seems to be working wonderfully now. I've fallen back in love with this beast. I just finished recording a patch using it and Rings through the DLD and got some really lush results without that noise I had gotten use to until it started driving me crazy.
lowkeyluce
Common Wiggler

Post by lowkeyluce »

There is a firmware that has fine tuning, if you email 4MS they'll send it to you.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

lowkeyluce wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:32 am There is a firmware that has fine tuning, if you email 4MS they'll send it to you.
So, how many not-officially-released alternate firmwares are floating around for this thing?
bravewave
Common Wiggler

Post by bravewave »

mdoudoroff wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:43 am
lowkeyluce wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:32 am There is a firmware that has fine tuning, if you email 4MS they'll send it to you.
So, how many not-officially-released alternate firmwares are floating around for this thing?
:? :? :?
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

I think just one but it’s formatted for different chips
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

I first set out to make a tutorial video on creating scales using the knobs, but ran into problems, so I made one based on the pitch and learn jacks instead. More coming, I think.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Made another vid. Hopefully someone will find it fun.

Scatre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scatre »

RE: Pitch locking -For those who haven’t inquired yet (per Thomas at 4ms):

Firmware #1: Shift+Detune to fine tune, Shift+Pitch to lock pitch
https://4mscompany.com/media/ENOSC/firm ... chlock.wav
Firmware #2: Shift+Pitch to fine tune (which also locks Pitch)
https://4mscompany.com/media/ENOSC/firm ... netune.wav

On both these firmwares, the Freeze (Shift) button flashes cyan if just Pitch is locked (normally it flashes grey if anything is locked). Also, the range of fine tuning is about -1 to +1 semitone.

Firmware #2 (Shift+Pitch to fine tune) is a little funky, because when you start doing a fine tune action, the pitch usually jumps immediately. So if pitch knob is at 25% and then you start to fine tune, the fine tune amount will jump to where the knob is (25%), which translates to about -0.5 semitones. A little odd, but maybe ok. Also in this version, if you enter Learn Mode and do its fine tuning, the normal fine tuning is lost (or overwritten). Basically you can’t use both fine tune modes.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

mdoudoroff wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:30 pm Made another vid. Hopefully someone will find it fun.

Awesome!

I’ve yet to dig into this functionality and your demonstration just showed me that I need to give it a go.

Apropos of nothing, it also reminded me of this beautiful song:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”