Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by Headlands »

Stu B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Mine arrived this morning and im in process of getting my head around what I could use it for. I really like it. I had a bit of fun running it through an LPG. Pitch borrowed from another sequence playing on Metropolix but gating the LPG with a Euclidean Pattern.
Nice! Make sure to check out the manual, it's got a couple interesting patch ideas that I wouldn't have thought of.
"Is that the site with the weird cats on it?"

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch, MN Strega, and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991553
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

Stu B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm Are people using this in a trad sense much? as in, through a filter, EG, and VCA... or is that missing the point of it?
You can use it without any filters or vcas, but that’s a bit limiting. The favourite sound I get from it is either slightly detuned saws Into an LPF with a slow attack for a Bladerunneresque brassy style sound, or with chords in cross FM into an HPF for a crunchy BOC classic lead. Keeping the stereo path also seems to work well for me.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff »

Stu B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm Are people using this in a trad sense much? as in, through a filter, EG, and VCA... or is that missing the point of it?
You could probably forgo a filter if you use an envelope to modulate any of the wave shaping controls, or (Balance?) the tilt between lower and upper harmonics. Though sending the output through a slightly overdriven analog filter is good for warming up the sound.

I think the oscillator is most distinct as a chordal module, but extremely flexible for creating single voices. I like to program the partials using a mix of octaves + 5ths, or octaves + 4ths, and then dial up the cross-modulation for rich tones.
RolandoBlanca
Common Wiggler

Post by RolandoBlanca »

Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:41 pm There are people that don't have the detune pot perpetually set to about 11 o'clock?
Mine is almost glued there. I should probably wiggle that thing just not to be so boring.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

RolandoBlanca wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:07 pm
Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:41 pm There are people that don't have the detune pot perpetually set to about 11 o'clock?
Mine is almost glued there. I should probably wiggle that thing just not to be so boring.
I wouldn’t if I were you. I tried it once and the repercussions are still rocking my world to this day.
:miley:
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

My de tune is usually between 11 and 1, but sometimes I like it at zero, especially with non 12tet tunings.
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
lowkeyluce
Common Wiggler

Post by lowkeyluce »

Can't believe the crazy bass sounds you can get out of this thing. Totally not what I bought it for but quickly becoming one of my favorite uses for it.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

It’s the secret of the ooze
erdbeerschnitzel
Common Wiggler

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

lowkeyluce wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:07 am Can't believe the crazy bass sounds you can get out of this thing. Totally not what I bought it for but quickly becoming one of my favorite uses for it.
That's how I use it as well, basically everything -but- chords, from wild bass to weird texture. Only thing I'm missing is attenuation for the modulation inputs, but you cant have it all - there's just no space for that.
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

erdbeerschnitzel wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:31 am
lowkeyluce wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:07 am Can't believe the crazy bass sounds you can get out of this thing. Totally not what I bought it for but quickly becoming one of my favorite uses for it.
That's how I use it as well, basically everything -but- chords, from wild bass to weird texture. Only thing I'm missing is attenuation for the modulation inputs, but you cant have it all - there's just no space for that.
Yup! I like using a non-12tet scale and playing around with Cross FM, balance, spread and root. Lots of weird organic burbly noise to be explored there!
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

Does anyone else have a problem with noise from the EnOsc? Mine often produces a constant scratchy noise / distortion that seems to increase when lowering the root note or turning Balance to the left (but maybe that's only because it isn't masked by the higher ones, anymore?). It makes it impossible to get truly clean sounds out of the module. Oddly enough, it's not always there when I boot up the rack but almost always appears after a few minutes. I've seen one or two other people in this thread mention something like this. Did anyone manage to fix it or get it solved by sending back their unit for a new one?
Last edited by vrtsig on Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
d33pz
Common Wiggler

Post by d33pz »

vrtsig wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:59 am Does anyone else have a problem with noise from the EnOsc? Mine often produces a constant scratchy noise / distortion that seems to increase when lowering the root note or turning Balance to the left (but maybe that's only because it isn't masked by the higher ones, anymore?). It makes it impossible to get truly clean sounds out of the module. Oddly enough, it's not always there when I boot up the rack but almost always appears after a few minutes. I've seen one or two other people in this thread mention something like this. Did anyone manage to fix it or get it solved but sending back their unit for a new one?
Yes, I just noticed the same with mine.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

I noticed it a few times when I first got it. I think it was a product of cross fading as I swept ROOT. I don’t have it cross fading anymore so maybe that’s why I don’t notice. It was only certain intervals and I think it’s a byproduct of what happens when different frequencies of sine waves overlap and create harmonically rich waveforms.
vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

hawkfuzz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:08 am I noticed it a few times when I first got it. I think it was a product of cross fading as I swept ROOT. I don’t have it cross fading anymore so maybe that’s why I don’t notice. It was only certain intervals and I think it’s a byproduct of what happens when different frequencies of sine waves overlap and create harmonically rich waveforms.
Thank you! I just tried this and I think that was it - turning off cross fading seems to solve it. Not too attached to CF so I guess I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. Still wondering whether something's not right as I found the module borderline unusable before - but your explanation makes a lot of sense, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: One thing I find curious is that with CF turned on, the problem persists even with spread and detune set to zero. :hmm:
lowkeyluce
Common Wiggler

Post by lowkeyluce »

FWIW, I've never noticed this problem with mine even with crossfading turned on. With Twist, Warp, and FM turned down it's almost too clean. Might be worth contacting 4ms.
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

There is a firmware update that addresses potential noise issues on units with serial numbers under 2800. Send email to 4ms@4mscompany.com and include your serial number, and 4ms will send you a link to download firmware.
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Empress ZOIA, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
Michael
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael »

mrfang wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:22 pm There is a firmware update that addresses potential noise issues on units with serial numbers under 2800. Send email to 4ms@4mscompany.com and include your serial number, and 4ms will send you a link to download firmware.
Thanks for the info. I have two of these - S/N 990 and 1001 so I guess I'll reach out to them.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

I also have this problem.
Granny
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Granny »

As I understand with the „update“ you can get rid of this but it adds latency to the noodle experience
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

Lol. And mine is over 2000. 2504 something
lowkeyluce
Common Wiggler

Post by lowkeyluce »

Powerdwarf wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:59 am Lol. And mine is over 2000. 2504 something
It's an issue with serials 2800 and lower, so you're in that range.
vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

mrfang wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:22 pm There is a firmware update that addresses potential noise issues on units with serial numbers under 2800. Send email to 4ms@4mscompany.com and include your serial number, and 4ms will send you a link to download firmware.
Thank you! I contacted 4ms and they did indeed recommend a firmware update (I'm #2633). Will report back once I've tried that.
vrtsig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vrtsig »

Granny wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 am As I understand with the „update“ you can get rid of this but it adds latency to the noodle experience
as in: adds latency to knobs, only or to CV controls as well?
mrfang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mrfang »

vrtsig wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:34 pm
Granny wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 am As I understand with the „update“ you can get rid of this but it adds latency to the noodle experience
as in: adds latency to knobs, only or to CV controls as well?
As far as I know the answer is neither. Test it and see!
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Empress ZOIA, Bastl Knit Rider, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400/401.
Michael
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael »

Did they happen to mention if this firmware update addresses anything else, other bugs etc.? I’m just asking because I find it somewhat odd there were never any firmware updates posted in the firmware update tab for ENOSC on the website. One of the things I like about ENOSC is there haven’t been 20 firmware fixes like you see with other modules/makers.
vrtsig wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:32 pm
Thank you! I contacted 4ms and they did indeed recommend a firmware update (I'm #2633). Will report back once I've tried that.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”