Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Jeffmhopkins
Common Wiggler

Re: Ensemble Oscillator from Matthias Puech & 4ms Company

Post by Jeffmhopkins »

I would agree that amplitude of each oscillator would be awesome. Wouldn't be too hard to implement UI wise when setting up custom scales.
Z_U_L_U
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Z_U_L_U »

Hi, Does anybody have the firmware for the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator, mine arrived with a blank STM chip. (Maybe you downloaded it in the past). The website only has the manual available but the firmware is meant to be there. It seems like the bootloader is in, but no firmware, either Audio or bin file would be fine, I can drop either.
Thanks in advance.
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm does anybody have any techniques how to fatten enosc? it really is very versatile and beautiful sounding oscillator that im in favor of but damn sometimes it sounds thin, wouldnt call it lifeless but more on the thin side. Any ideas how to turn this thing in more thick sound? :D
Sound thin?! Not something I would have thought of Enosc. I think you need to add some subtle CV modulation. The problem is that there isn’t any attenuverters, so you have to scale/offset using another module.
Also play with the different Warp modes, there are quite a few different ones when switching to the Segment position (whereas there is only one in the Fold position).
Add some cross FM to everything. The middle setting (All) is perfect for adding a bit of grit to the sound.

Finally try it with an HP filter. The first thing that comes to mind is to LP filter it, but low Balance can already get you halfway there, and with the cross FM an HP filter can really make it shine in my opinion, especially with a nice set of chords.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Z_U_L_U wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:45 pm Hi, Does anybody have the firmware for the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator, mine arrived with a blank STM chip. (Maybe you downloaded it in the past). The website only has the manual available but the firmware is meant to be there. It seems like the bootloader is in, but no firmware, either Audio or bin file would be fine, I can drop either.
Thanks in advance.
Contact 4ms. I'm sure they can help you.
hubert_r
Common Wiggler

Post by hubert_r »

Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm does anybody have any techniques how to fatten enosc? it really is very versatile and beautiful sounding oscillator that im in favor of but damn sometimes it sounds thin, wouldnt call it lifeless but more on the thin side. Any ideas how to turn this thing in more thick sound? :D
I guess "thin" or "fat" is quite subjective. I personally never have though this module to sound thin and I'm using regularly to produce some mean bass lines. I use the first scale setting (all unison), maybe 3 oscillators, some detuning, and lots of modulation.
Dadodetres
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dadodetres »

Keep "Root", "Balance" and "Spread" below 12 o`clock.
Samaepstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Samaepstein »

I have been lately trending towards using this mostly as a mono voice with balance all the way CCW. Is sounds so great like that and each knob becomes so potent in a performance sense. Much easier to sequence whereas the poly modes lends more to drones for me. I have lately been using it on the ext in of the Boog D and its too fun. I find the poly mode needs to be the star of the show and the mono voice can blend more cohesively into an existing patch.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

It’s actually my favorite way to use it.
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff »

1. Use detune. Beating between detuned waves, as can be found in chorus effects, is the primary thickening strategy.

2. The oscillator is digital. Send anything digital through an analog element with distortion. A multi-mode filter that can be overdriven is perfect.

3. Tilt the balance towards bass.

4. I don't understand the recommendation to lower the number of oscillators. If you've got detune turned up, the more oscillators the better.
kaamho9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaamho9 »

Same difference between the complex oscillators, Lfos, distortions, crossfaders, delays, reverbs, sequencers, and filter clones available.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

Snufflepuff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 am
4. I don't understand the recommendation to lower the number of oscillators. If you've got detune turned up, the more oscillators the better.
Sounds like I need to spend some time fiddling with the detune pot tonight!
Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber »

There are people that don't have the detune pot perpetually set to about 11 o'clock?
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:41 pm There are people that don't have the detune pot perpetually set to about 11 o'clock?
I’m a 12 o’clock kind of person, I like pushing boundaries :hihi:
Although yes sometime it doesn’t work so well.
Since I got it, I always wished you could CV the detune control. That works pretty well on Chainsaw.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:41 pm There are people that don't have the detune pot perpetually set to about 11 o'clock?
If the answer to this is “yes”, one might then conclude that different people enjoy different things!
Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber »

fastlanestranger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:29 pm
If the answer to this is “yes”, one might then conclude that different people enjoy different things!
No offense intended, it was simply a poor joke.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm
Man...I'm the dork here. And as a poor joke advocate, you'd think I'd have got it.

Sometimes I think I'm being sassy...when I'm really just being sensitive.

My apologies my friend.
Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber »

fastlanestranger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Exit Chamber wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm
Man...I'm the dork here. And as a poor joke advocate, you'd think I'd have got it.

Sometimes I think I'm being sassy...when I'm really just being sensitive.

My apologies my friend.
:sb:
kaamho9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaamho9 »

I have two problems with it (and I know I am not the only one), but I believe that is it very possible to solve these issues through a firmware update.get-mobdro.com
LongLostDonut
Common Wiggler

Post by LongLostDonut »

3 o'clock all the way :sb:
Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber »

LongLostDonut wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 am
That's just crazy talk :foul:
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Exit Chamber wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:32 pm
WHY I OUTTA!!!! oh wait
Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber »

fastlanestranger wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:33 pm
Exit Chamber wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:32 pm
WHY I OUTTA!!!! oh wait
:hihi:
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Are people using this in a trad sense much? as in, through a filter, EG, and VCA... or is that missing the point of it?
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

Stu B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm Are people using this in a trad sense much? as in, through a filter, EG, and VCA... or is that missing the point of it?
There is SO much I've discovered I can do with this thing (I suppose the same could be said for most modules, of course), and yes it includes using filters, EGs, VCAs, and all sorts of other stuff with it. It's far more flexible and has many more layers than one might think!
"Is that the site with the weird cats on it?"

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch, MN Strega, and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991553
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Headlands wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 pm
Stu B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm Are people using this in a trad sense much? as in, through a filter, EG, and VCA... or is that missing the point of it?
There is SO much I've discovered I can do with this thing (I suppose the same could be said for most modules, of course), and yes it includes using filters, EGs, VCAs, and all sorts of other stuff with it. It's far more flexible and has many more layers than one might think!
Mine arrived this morning and im in process of getting my head around what I could use it for. I really like it. I had a bit of fun running it through an LPG. Pitch borrowed from another sequence playing on Metropolix but gating the LPG with a Euclidean Pattern.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”