Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tverscho
Common Wiggler

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 am

Naenyn wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 pm
Thanks for the heads-up! Picked up a kit. :goo:
My pleasure! Looks like they're selling really fast :guinness:
zer0point wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 am
Sounds good! I've had a look at the BOM spreadsheet, but was wondering if you happened to have a Mouser cart prepared?
I don't offer a Mouser cart myself, but a few of my customers have shared theirs on the Threetom DIY FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/threeto ... s/threetom[/url]

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:18 am

@Tom

Gonna test your puppies today :sb:
20201005_110804-01.jpeg

tverscho
Common Wiggler

Post by tverscho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:18 am
@Tom

Gonna test your puppies today :sb:

20201005_110804-01.jpeg
-rrrrrrrr- Sexy stereo pair! :w00t: :wookie: :bananallama:

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:55 am

They sound freakin creamy, and when driven, the resonance starts to "sing" beautifully. I'd say these filters are a must-have for all modular systems. Now time to read thru the manual to understand how the two CV inputs work :mrgreen:

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:26 pm

tverscho wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 am
Naenyn wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:31 pm
Thanks for the heads-up! Picked up a kit. :goo:
My pleasure! Looks like they're selling really fast :guinness:
Yep, when I ordered, there were 6. Then, 3 when I checked about an hour later. None left now. :woah: Time to make more kits!

Mine shipped fast too. It is on its way already.

Edit: Built my kit today! This is a fun little filter for sure. Going to have to move things around in my case to give it a permanent home.

Edit 2: Gave the filter a permanent home in my main case today and spent the evening playing with plaits -> ms-22 -> mimosa -> chronoblob2 -> 2hp verb. It was a lot of fun. The ms-22 has quickly become one of my fav modules.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

zer0point
Common Wiggler

Post by zer0point » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:29 am

tverscho wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:04 am
zer0point wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 am
Sounds good! I've had a look at the BOM spreadsheet, but was wondering if you happened to have a Mouser cart prepared?
I don't offer a Mouser cart myself, but a few of my customers have shared theirs on the Threetom DIY FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/threeto ... s/threetom[/url]
Ordered the kit and parts, looking forward to it!

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 am

US retailers need these bad boys :)

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 am
US retailers need these bad boys :)
Looks like that’d just be SynthCube right now... hopefully they restock soon!
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

jaypodesta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Struggling to find this:
500k 1 R34, RESISTOR0603

Can any one point me to one on mouser? The facebook link above to carts doesn't work for me either sadly.

tverscho
Common Wiggler

Post by tverscho » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:11 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm
Struggling to find this:
500k 1 R34, RESISTOR0603

Can any one point me to one on mouser? The facebook link above to carts doesn't work for me either sadly.
Hey Jay, you can use 490K or 510K instead :)

jaypodesta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Cheers for that.

perx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perx » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm

This thing is amazing. The resonance sounds beautiful, especially when you adjust the frequency of both filters, so many cool timbres from gentle to crazy.

I don't quite understand the mod matrix however. When I flip a switch it seems to just set that knob/parameter to either min or max possible value and the acv doesn't effect any of the parameters even at fully open.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 am

How did you set the ACV knob? Second from the bottom, if I remember right

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 am

The MS-22 and heavy PWM deep drones are a combination made in heaven (or belgium)

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 am

I love the knobs on this (not to mention the sound and features which are top). they're perfect for cramped modules - much better than the 1ps rogans I've used on my smaller modules with t18 pots (e.g. the 4hp fx aid, uTides).

they are FC7249 CLIFF and can be found on TME.

perx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perx » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 am
Yes with the ACV knob turned all the way up I don't hear any modulation changing anything

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:24 am

perx wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 am
deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 am
Yes with the ACV knob turned all the way up I don't hear any modulation changing anything
It works just fine here. Notice though that you cannot modulate the Frequency (top knob) with ACV. Only Spread (HPF), Resonance and Gain.

ACV is normalled to FCV (or the other way around, normalling confuses me always :lol: ). If there is a signal patched into FCV and nothing patched in ACV, you can modulate all 4 parameters (knobs) with on source. For instance, this way I was able to modulate Frequency and Gain at the same time with one LFO. Both knobs FCV and ACV act as a attenuator. I guess you already know that.

You sure that a signal is coming in? Maybe your source is faulty or too low.
Last edited by deft_bonz on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tverscho
Common Wiggler

Post by tverscho » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 am

perx wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm
This thing is amazing. The resonance sounds beautiful, especially when you adjust the frequency of both filters, so many cool timbres from gentle to crazy.

I don't quite understand the mod matrix however. When I flip a switch it seems to just set that knob/parameter to either min or max possible value and the acv doesn't effect any of the parameters even at fully open.
Thanks!

The behaviour of the mod matrix that you’re describing doesn’t sound normal to me. Did you get an assembled module from me? Or did you build it yourself from a kit or PCB/panel set?

As @deft_bonz says, it might be helpful if you describe your patch to us.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:06 am

anyone know if either of the filters in this can track 1v/oct? (for resonance levels left of 1 o'clock, past which point increasing resonance decreases cutoff frequency, it seems.) does it happen with FCV at fully clockwise, or before fully clockwise, or never? if "never", is some kind of semi-1v/oct thing attainable with one of those FCV levels?

asking because this is undocumented and not discussed yet, but a *pitch-tracking*, resonant ms20 hp filter is a great thing

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:51 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:06 am
anyone know if either of the filters in this can track 1v/oct? (for resonance levels left of 1 o'clock, past which point increasing resonance decreases cutoff frequency, it seems.) does it happen with FCV at fully clockwise, or before fully clockwise, or never? if "never", is some kind of semi-1v/oct thing attainable with one of those FCV levels?

asking because this is undocumented and not discussed yet, but a *pitch-tracking*, resonant ms20 hp filter is a great thing
Not sure about the tracking. But why shouldn't it? It will modulate according to the incoming voltage.

Try to set the frequency to 110 or 220 Hz. Then FCV fully clockwise, so the incoming volt per octave is not attenuated. Spread (Hicut) at minimum.

The resonance also max, but keep the gain not at max or it will eat up the resonance. About half I'd say.

I didn't notice that increasing resonance would lower the cutoff frequency. Maybe it got distorted because of the gain, which might sound more cut off. To prevent distortion lower the gain

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:58 am

because the filter must have an exponential response to modulate 1v/oct in response to your control voltage. if it has a linear response, or some semi-exponential response, it won't track 1v/oct without some external conditioning of the CV you feed it. I ask because whether a given filter can track 1v/oct (this is not a given!) has been addressed in pretty much all filters' manuals I've read, but that is omitted from this particularly thorough manual, and none of the video demos address this either.

deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:09 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:58 am
because the filter must have an exponential response to modulate 1v/oct in response to your control voltage. if it has a linear response, or some semi-exponential response, it won't track 1v/oct without some external conditioning of the CV you feed it.
Interesting. Didn't know that.

Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:29 am

Can’t wait to get mine! Seems to be back in stock for March / April

If anyone wants to get rid of their module in the meantime pls let me know

tverscho
Common Wiggler

Post by tverscho » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 am

autopoiesis wrote:
because the filter must have an exponential response to modulate 1v/oct in response to your control voltage. if it has a linear response, or some semi-exponential response, it won't track 1v/oct without some external conditioning of the CV you feed it. I ask because whether a given filter can track 1v/oct (this is not a given!) has been addressed in pretty much all filters' manuals I've read, but that is omitted from this particularly thorough manual, and none of the video demos address this either.
Hi guys, the MS-22 doesn’t track V/oct well. You can get it to track about 1 octave with some finagling of the FCV attenuator. Just keep in mind that changes to gain and resonance will throw off your tuning. If you want it to track better, you might consider the TransCal autotuning module from my belgian colleague Klavis

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:31 am

tverscho wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 am
autopoiesis wrote:
Hi guys, the MS-22 doesn’t track V/oct well. You can get it to track about 1 octave with some finagling of the FCV attenuator. Just keep in mind that changes to gain and resonance will throw off your tuning. If you want it to track better, you might consider the TransCal autotuning module from my belgian colleague Klavis
thx Tom! good to know that it'll track about one octave - from my tinkering it seems that this happens when the FCV attenuator is just around 12 o'clock.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”